test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official feedback thread for the new Earth Space Dock

Comments

• neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Well, If anyone still had any doubts, that the All-Star Brain Trust out in Los Gatos, really can't find the end of it's own digestive tract with both hands, the rollout of the new ESD should finally put that nurse to bed. Yup, with the usual Cryptic poise, and grace, they've eliminated another feature that was working perfectly fine (old ESD), and replaced it with something that is, in Cryptic's words, a "work in progress", or in the words of anybody that doesn't still believe in the Easter Bunny, "broken".

There are bugs that have been in-game since pre-launch, that have gone unaddressed for over four years, yet one of the only things in the game still functioning correctly, gets replaced by somebody's half baked brainfart, full of placeholders, and clipping issues. I mean watching these guys try to make what they honestly think are smart decisions would be comically, pee-in-your-pants funny, if you weren't involved in it somehow. Instead it's just getting painful. I have a feeling we're all going to be interacting with Lego men, and "Ensign Medics", from now, until they finally, pull the plug, however long that will be. I'm thinking it's time for old, hop-along CapnKirky to be headin' off into the sunset...

God that made me LOL so hard. It's a test server!

Taco and the rest of the environment team; New ESD is a work of art and you have my sincere thanks for making such a gigantic improvement over the old one, makes it feel like star trek and I hope to see more improvements such as this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Edit: I'll file a bug report.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The console near admiral quinn's office to get the veteran EV suit and fireworks needs the interact button updated. The button says "Interact" lol.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    For our sakes? You mean for the sake of people like you, and Tacofang, that are apparently mystified, by the elegant simplicity of a circle. Might as well be Chinese algebra, right?

Anyway, have fun with that.
    Unless you're just trying to insult me, no I understand the Layout VERY well. I've been here for 4 years, I should know ESD like the back of my hand.

However, that doesn't mean it's the best interior ingame, it definitely needs a change. It's just not aesthetically pleasing.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "Take shuttle to Starfleet Academy"

I was so happy when I read this thinking there was maybe going to be access at last to the SFA shuttlebay, I was (and am) disappointed :(

Also, on ESD itself, it would be nice I think if the blanking panels over the shuttlebay were turned into windows so you could look down into it from the walkway.

Also, you should walk through the lower level in DX11 mode, it is littered with black squares and the like
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited April 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »

I was so happy when I read this thinking there was maybe going to be access at last to the SFA shuttlebay, I was (and am) disappointed :(

Ditto
    Also, on ESD itself, it would be nice I think if the blanking panels over the shuttlebay were turned into windows so you could look down into it from the walkway.

Agreed that would be a good improvement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    You can thank Thomas the Cat for the planters. . .

No, that's just one method for it. I thought I'd set them up to just let your camera through. I'll take another look.

I actually like being able to see through. Kind of a pity you can't toggle it, there are times that I would like to see through the dock and other times that I wouldn't.

I actually managed to fit my Noble into the Nemesis docks. I wasn't able to drive through but with the changes it looked extremely cool. Thanks. And I love the lighting in there.

Perhaps in Star Trek Online 2 we'll get fully functional docks with the mooring arm and umbilicals and all.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014

Also, you should walk through the lower level in DX11 mode, it is littered with black squares and the like

Well, I have no time to update SFA. So, I can remove the option to take a shuttle there, or leave it and you will beam in when you get there. Those are the options immediately available to me.

I don't know what you mean by "blanking panels?" The original intent was to have a view into the shuttlebay from above, but it didn't work out in the time we had.

Known. The black triangles are getting fixed by the graphics programming team already.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited April 2014
    On the shuttlebay side of the walk way at the far end, when you look down over the railings you look down upon a large grey panel. I am not sure if this is over the exchange or the shuttle bay.

EDIT: Is it possible to add other destinations to the shuttlebay as well as SFA?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    Well, I have no time to update SFA. So, I can remove the option to take a shuttle there, or leave it and you will beam in when you get there. Those are the options immediately available to me.

Please leave the button there. 1) It's convenient to have more than one "door" to SFA at either side of the station, and 2) it could still be a "maybe someday" thing to update SFA.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I don't know what you mean by "blanking panels?" The original intent was to have a view into the shuttlebay from above, but it didn't work out in the time we had.

Known. The black triangles are getting fixed by the graphics programming team already.

Maybe when this is all over you can get some sleep. I don't think you ever sleep... you are posting when I go to bed and you are posting when I get up. Everything looks great btw... I like the shuttle option as is for now and maybe sometime later you all can make the changes to SFA.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

I'd say leave it in. I don't mind beaming in at all but I do love having the ability to go to SFA from two different points on the new ESD instead of always having to run back to the transporter room. :)

Oh and thank you for fixing the issue with Romulan toons not getting the options showing! :D
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Would there be time to add fleet shuttle service to the shuttle bay?
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited April 2014

While it would be cool if someday we get to land in the Shuttlebay on the second level of SFA, I think its fine to leave the system as is now, it gives a door to SFA from either side of ESD.

While I'm talking pie in the sky, it has always annoyed me that we get a random beam down, one would think SFA would have a transporter room. :D
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    Would there be time to add fleet shuttle service to the shuttle bay?

^^this

And keep the SFA shuttle function by all means. As Drogyn said... maybe someday...
    edited April 2014
    OMG! NEW CHAIRS THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

They look awesome, much better than the captain chairs!

THANK YOU!

EDIT: ESD Space, the positions of the new docks are very close to the warp in point which if it gets overloaded may have ships ramming into them. Can they be moved further back, perhaps closer to the other ones but out of view of the command window?

The Nemesis style docks location is a lot further away when in space than what is viewed from the command deck.

There are an awful lot of docks now, can some be removed?

EDIT2: The welcome to ESD sign at the transporter room, how would it look duplicated on the other side when heading to Club47?

EDIT3: Taking the turbolift back to the main area kicks you out of the turbolift when you respawn

EDIT4: The ambassador is too large a ship to fit into the Nemesis docks, can the one it is berthed in be changed to a fleet dock, mixing the style of docks in space would reduce the numbers of docks around. Perhaps top tier Fleet Docks, bottom tier Nemesis Docks?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Please leave the button there. 1) It's convenient to have more than one "door" to SFA at either side of the station, and 2) it could still be a "maybe someday" thing to update SFA.

I concur with the maybe someday approach. ;)
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • yulianhuayulianhua Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can thank Thomas the Cat for the planters. . .

Then, thanks Thomas the Cat! :D
    No, that's just one method for it. I thought I'd set them up to just let your camera through. I'll take another look.

Thanks for indulging our inner Robert Wises/Douglas Trumbulls/John Dykstras. ;)
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For our sakes? You mean for the sake of people like you, and Tacofang, that are apparently mystified, by the elegant simplicity of a circle. Might as well be Chinese algebra, right?

Anyway, have fun with that.

You're the minority in this opinin. Majority of people love the new ESD, old and new player alike.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I agree with the other posters who say leave it there as a WIP thing, I know the SFA shuttlebay asset is there as it features in the tutorial although I can see it taking a while to convert it to a social zone and make the appropriate links I believe it worth doing in the end. I will reinforce that it's great as a WIP thing :)

The shuttlebay ceiling under the far right end (as you walk out of the lift) of the walkway, at least I think it's the shuttlebay ceiling

That's great news! :D So far though, absolutely great work, I for one can't wait to see the finished product.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unless you're just trying to insult me, no I understand the Layout VERY well. I've been here for 4 years, I should know ESD like the back of my hand.

However, that doesn't mean it's the best interior ingame, it definitely needs a change. It's just not aesthetically pleasing.

personally, i always thought the current ESD was rather generic with little effort involved in its design (no offense intended, merely an observation) and that it had been in place for as long as it was considering some of the other areas in the game simply because it was so rock solid that there was always something more important to take care of.
    edited April 2014
    Ditto

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post

I was so happy when I read this thinking there was maybe going to be access at last to the SFA shuttlebay, I was (and am) disappointed

Ditto

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post

Agreed that would be a good improvement.

i would like to support both of these. you might need to finish a little bit more of the shuttle bay, but it would make the walkway a bit more fun if we can look down into the that end of the bay.
    edited April 2014
    reximuz wrote: »
    While it would be cool if someday we get to land in the Shuttlebay on the second level of SFA, I think its fine to leave the system as is now, it gives a door to SFA from either side of ESD.

While I'm talking pie in the sky, it has always annoyed me that we get a random beam down, one would think SFA would have a transporter room. :D

that could be done in one of the unused buildings at the academy along with moving the presentation/meeting hall from the old ESD down there.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Hopefully I'm not too late to the party....

I wonder if it might be possible to fit in an equivalent to the "Stateroom" area in the current ESD? Poor Menn Hilo looks rather lost now. I realize that promotion ceremonies are pass
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    Hopefully I'm not too late to the party....

I wonder if it might be possible to fit in an equivalent to the "Stateroom" area in the current ESD? Poor Menn Hilo looks rather lost now. I realize that promotion ceremonies are pass
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited April 2014
    The dialog box for the Romulan diplomat has the old style ESD background not the updated one. Security and fleet contacts have the prior patch tribble earth in the background and not the new one, but that is a real minor notice :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Issues I've found as of the April 3rd patch.

Disappearing Bands - The dark bands on these ramps disappear at a distance.

Doctor's LOD problems - There are still a few surfaces in the Doctor's office that show different markings depending on distance.

Theres still a protruding piece in the shuttle bay - Looking up near the archway from inside the bay.

There is still protruding panel near the South walkway - Looking down from the South end of the walkway, over the shuttle/exchange area, near the walkway, there is a piece sticking up.

Still Getting Wet feet - Yes you did add a tiny little feature here, but it is barely noticeable and it won't keep people from walking into the water, people don't normally walk around watching their feet and all your addition would do in practical application is trip people into the water or injure themselves depending on where they were walking.
    I know that you don't want to mess with the esthetic of the floor design but does the water feature have to end right there? Could there not be a pattern of stones or something in the water that would allow traffic without messing up the design? Ya I know, I'm nitpicking but you guys are the ones that opened that can of worms by wanting ESD to be a special environment.

The Ops window reflection still doesn't seem quite right, given the angle it should be more a reflection of the floor rather than of the opposite wall but with 3D graphics I don't think we could ever get reflections on that kind of surface quite right, but the image being used is a very ugly low rez looking picture, better if it were dimmer and out of focus since it isn't reflections that people are looking at anyway so the reflections are too much of a distraction.

The Earth outside the window now is as close to exact compared to the space view now as I can see. The only thing I would think that might need a change is putting a proper color scheme on the Sovereign which is looking rather plain, the Odyssey looks like it is now in its proper colors. That and perhaps park an Akira and Ambassador in the appropriate matching docks in the space view or remove them in the station view to eliminate any visual incongruities.

In Space, the old Earth's atmosphere zone is still there, so if you fly to within the spherical region that Earth used to occupy on the Space map you still get the effect, which makes no sense now since Earth, now being attached to the skybox, always remains beyond reach.

I noticed that the collision box was removed from the glass over the shipyard, while I might agree that it was bit excessive, I think there should still be something there since it will look really abnormal having people running around doing whatever up on those apparently thin panels, maybe put some kind of exclusion zone but a little further back so that it isn't quite as obvious as what was there before.

All that said, things are starting to look pretty tight, It's getting hard to find things that just don't look right.
    One detail that is missing that I thought I should mention, no where is there a Master Systems Display. I would have though that somebody would have drawn up a classic LCARS silhouette of ESD with a section blowup showing the decks of ESD, something like that would fit well in Ops.

p.s. I noticed the joke on the door in the Doctors office, at least I'm hoping it's a joke since no doctor hoping to remain in practice would have a door with Corpse chute labeled on it.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • pfreemanpfreeman Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The initial cut scene with Spock is now incorrect & shows the old Sol System space. It should be updated to the new one.

Likewise the cutscene of you flying up to your new ship also shows the old Sol System, however you never see both ESD & Earth in the same shot, so the scale is hard to get. But someone who knows the map will very quickly realize Earth is too small now.

Earth Space Dock

I didn't spend as much time running around it as I have in the past; overall it's looking very good. There are a few things I noticed however.

The invisible wall keeping people from running on the angled glass above the shipyard is missing. I like it the way it is right now (no invisible wall) the invisible wall we had in the past was too far away (about 1-1.5 feet) from the angled glass & so when you came around the corner right there at the edge you would hit it. If you really want to have the wall, why not move it up the glass some?

I still think that the lighting in ESD is too dark in general.

Shouldn't the receptionist in the infirmary be wearing blue?

Is anyone going to take care of that Catian on the bio-bed?

Oh and I had an idea for Club 47 music:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1BRO1WCs
    :D

peter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm curious to ask if today's Live Stream tour of the new ESD map has inspired any changes or improvements? We had quite bit more player's exploring and behaving openly as one might expect to see on Holodeck.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pfreeman wrote: »
    The initial cut scene with Spock is now incorrect & shows the old Sol System space. It should be updated to the new one.

Likewise the cutscene of you flying up to your new ship also shows the old Sol System, however you never see both ESD & Earth in the same shot, so the scale is hard to get. But someone who knows the map will very quickly realize Earth is too small now.
    That may not be up to the environment guys, that's for whoever puts together cutscenes.
    I still think that the lighting in ESD is too dark in general.
    I don't know I think we've all had enough of glaring lights and lens flares in StarTrek, with everything being brightly colored it's hard to call anything too dark, I think it looks fine as is.
    Shouldn't the receptionist in the infirmary be wearing blue?
    Not necessarily, she might just be a clerk, medical has a lot of bureaucratic BS too, if she's not in the sciences better that she isn't dressed in a way that will lead to misunderstandings.
    Is anyone going to take care of that Catian on the bio-bed?
    I think that's random, last patch I could swear there were no Caitians in sickbay.
    Oh and I had an idea for Club 47 music:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1BRO1WCs
    Way wrong franchise, but I'm sure the music will sound just as bad. One thing being a Science fiction fan has taught me, in the future they have no friggin taste in music.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC