Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Only one thing to do. Blammite.

Well, with folks in the EU threatening to sue over Arc...I was thinking something along the lines of pressing felony assault charges (yes, I'd be laughed out of the precinct and likely offered the opportunity to spend some quiet time in a cell given the mood I'm in....but at least I wouldn't have to look at this garbage)...
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It shouldn't be black once all changes are complete. See my last post on page 1 :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Oh, of course. Great. So it actually DID have a legible black background, but that had to be changed to something harder to read. $#%^$&^^$##!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Ah, i get it.

It's an evil plot to get us all to stay away from the fora, so they can use their Metric Cannon Mk XIV [ACC] [FU] to argue they're un-necessary

Well, with so many people on the forums that complain - if they get people to stay away from the forums, then there won't be any complaints...and they can pat themselves on the back (or just pat themselves in a circle - whatever kind of mentality exists to make a change like this and call it a small change)...
  • Options
    tazurensavulentazurensavulen Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, with folks in the EU threatening to sue over Arc...I was thinking something along the lines of pressing felony assault charges (yes, I'd be laughed out of the precinct and likely offered the opportunity to spend some quiet time in a cell given the mood I'm in....but at least I wouldn't have to look at this garbage)...

Wait.....wut? Can I have a link to that about Arc with the EU?
    signature_for_kerbal_space_program_by_lord_inu_hanyou-dbhp8de.png
    [06/16 11:51] [Combat (Self)] Your Advanced Dual Heavy Radiant Antiproton Cannons - Hypercharge deals 237970 (113626) Antiproton Damage(Critical) to Tactical Cube.
    AHAHAHA! Eat it Borg!
    [09/15 11:01] [Combat (Self)] You lose 12187085 Cold Damage from Death.
    Death is OP, please nerf. I BLAME KURLAND FOR THIS!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh, of course. Great. So it actually DID have a legible black background, but that had to be changed to something harder to read. $#%^$&^^$##!!

It's almost as if they have zero understanding of color schemes, usability, and accessibility...almost as if they had a liquid lunch, came back, and decided to change things randomly...
  • Options
    edited February 2014

It was just things said in this thread - barely seen through squinting eyes and violent head movements from the gagging at just how bad this all looks.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    xigbarg wrote: »
    Im sure its still a work in progress.

Yeah, they haven't finished borking it up yet. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Sigh

Post #43 this thread.

it's a technical, solvable problem, not the end of the world.
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personal Opinion.
    This change is pretty awful.
    Colors are horrible, page #s difficult to find, all the things people have mentioned already.
    The big one for me though is how "non trek" and homogonized PWE the forums look now.
    The whole thing just 'feels' very corporate and exactly the same. Nothing about it stands out and says HEY THIS IS STAR TREK.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So this is just a random post to see just how bad this might look. It cannot look any worse than what PWE has done to us with these small changes. Perhaps they could offer me some constructive feedback. Hrmmm...?

If nothing else, this post should offer folks some suggestions as to what colors to use to offer feedback to PWE on this matter...Navy and Indigo are looking like pretty good options - as is the Dark Red (KDF) that had previously worked well in my sig...meh.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Bad. I don't remember if this is what the old forums looked like, it's been so long, but I really came to like the new design (even if it was spread out a bit much). But for the problems it had, I really got to like it better. Below is a list of problems (and some that may just be my opinion or those of others) I have discovered thusfar:

-All those useful website links are missing from the top bar
    -The color scheme is bland, not too much of a problem but the contrast is bad and make things hard to see or makes them painful
    -The old background was better... it actually was interesting to look at.
    -The black background before was able to hide black text so that you could make a spoiler tag, but now that doesn't work.
    -No more functionality was added
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sigh

Post #43 this thread.

it's a technical, solvable problem, not the end of the world.

Yeah, let's save the end of the world stuff for the forum changes - not Arc! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So, Cryptic spring a change on the player base, with no consultation.

Big thread suddenly arises, with the vast majority opposed.

Whats the odds that there'll be no more productive communications from the Devs, beyond boiler plate stuff about 'we're listening'?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, let's save the end of the world stuff for the forum changes - not Arc! :D

Well, i haven't formed an opinion on ARc yet, still running it.

(promised myself no feedback until I'd run it for a week, seemed only fair)

But, ARC and the forum changes could go sharesies.

The grindaversary might want a piece of the action too.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So, Cryptic spring a change on the player base, with no consultation.

Big thread suddenly arises, with the vast majority opposed.

Whats the odds that there'll be no more productive communications from the Devs, beyond boiler plate stuff about 'we're listening'?

That's what happened last time.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Do you need a Doctor, is the new forums giving you PTSD

:rolleyes:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

I've seen some things man.

And some stuff.
  • Options
    tick0tick0 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't like the grey.

Also, why do we still have those hideous icons like Quote, Multi-Off and Post Reply? :confused:
    star_trek_razzle_dazzle_by_schematization-d37701m.gif
    @f4tamy | Sad Pandas
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Yeah, man - it's taking me back to the mid-90's when ISPs provided personal webpages and folks took it upon themselves to design things...it's freaking me out, man.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    tick0 wrote: »
    Don't like the grey.

Also, why do we still have those hideous icons like Quote, Multi-Off and Post Reply? :confused:

Maybe at least that will come of this? Cause this makes the amateurish hatchet jobs done to trim those buttons stand out that much more...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I looked at our "homepage"....

ARC has eaten our website!

PERFECT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm just waiting for the large brested scantily clad anime girls to start appearing in the huge empty sidebars, sadly I won't see them because I use AdBlock Plus and most of PWE's sneaky banner clicky things are invisible to me.
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the changes. That is all.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like them changing the Black to Grey, which gives it some depth. But the White Text is blinding. :(

Also, be nice if they added the Report Button (which you can with VBulletin), so you don't have to PM Mods.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I like the changes. That is all.

Quickly go to page 3 and tell me you like that too.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay First of all I don't like the new look an theres a few reasons one of the changes already gone is the god-awful grey colour which can hurt people eyes. mine are fine but it is annoying and on a device that isn''t a pc or mac could cause a few issues.

Second the finished version of the page in post one. looks very untrek like
    Do you think showing handsome Phaser guy an a few minature BOPS in the top is a good way to portray the heart and mind of STO which is the forum.

Also Star Trek online logo in the middle needs to be blown up a little as it looks really small.

A few ways to improve it get rid of the BOPS and put something new there instead like maybe one of the iconic ships that is in the game but a a decent size not minature.

Handsome Phaser guy is old news maybe you should put the romulan woman T'TRIBBLE I think we are calling her I may be wrong should be there especially since we are in the expansion.

Change the colour scheme or at least give us a few options even better make the forums more like a LCARS background which would make it look even more trek like.

Also since Arc is coming and this site will eventually be merged with that isn't this whole redesign pointless?
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like them changing the Black to Grey, which gives it some depth. But the White Text is blinding. :(

Also, be nice if they added the Report Button (which you can with VBulletin), so you don't have to PM Mods.

Said it before, but I'd honestly be happy if I was able to use the Dev Tracker. Haven't been able to ever since they switched to the PWE forums. Clicking page numbers in a thread causes it to hang and boots me back to the front page. I have to keep clicking it over and over again before it registers as leading me to the appropriate page number.

Very irritating to the point I no longer bother with the dev tracker.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wait, are the servers based in Guantanamo Bay?
    It is the ONLY reason i can think of that they are LEGALLY allowed to use this TORTUROUS colour scheme.

Also Americans, please learn to spell colour correctly.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    iceeaglex wrote: »

LOL. Be nice.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    iceeaglex wrote: »

We do spell color correctly. We just lack a pathological need for extraneous letters. :P