test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'm sure the ships will be lovely.

However, I am curious as to how the conversation went at Cryptic........

"So the Winter Event is a success. Clearly the players like grinding, over and over"

"well, the fora are full of people who say they don't like it"

"FOOLS, THEY WILL SOON FEEL THE POWER OF THE GRIND!"

or something like that, maybe?

There's a seasonal rhythm to this game. Winter and summer we all flock to the Winterland or Risa to enjoy a change of pace from the Borg, Elachi, Undine etc.....

Then there are smaller, less time intensive events around it to keep things interesting.

However, if every event is going to be a grind, then those with a limited time to play end up having to make a choice what they're going to have to miss out on.

This is not a good tone to set.

I'm sure these will be fine ships, but grind after grind? This is not well thought out.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, and I was so happy when the Winter Wonderland closed. I could finally free my hands and get back to creating ship builds, trying them out, ...

I even started pretty much all the reps on my alts so I'd be done with all of it well before the summer event (or another rep) comes.

And BAM, another slow daily filling of a rep project. I was happy and free for a week.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not to worry fellow Forum members, I'm sure there will be an item set that can be purchased from the lobi store to supplement your ships which requires no grind at all to get. Unless you count opening loads of lockboxes as a grind. :P
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one at all impressed (though not terribly surprised) that Cryptic has actually upped the ante on not bothering to disguise their inability to create non-grind content?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It might, but I don't want to open that can of worms. Just keep in mind that you cannot apply your own standards to anybody else. That does in no way, shape or form mean that the players who can't participate should get an extra treatment since nobody is entitled to get a free ship.

i asked why cant a person put a little time on the side, you cant be busy every moment of the day, somewhere in there you need some time for yourself or you will burn out. humans can only take so much psychological TRIBBLE, its not my standard, it is what is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indeed and if the ships would be available for all your characters at once, then I bite the dust and do it, but having 7 characters, I have to do the same thing 7 times, what about those players who have more than 7?
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • rohthagarohthaga Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have been doing a little digging and I dont want to link anything but well here is a portion of the article

With the Season 8.5 update, players will also be able to switch between their starships in sector space and social zones and each starship allows for multiple pre-made, saved build-outs.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, if we earn these points from repeating the same episode over and over, then in order to earn the three ships (one for each character on each faction) then we'll wind up running the same episode 48 times!

1000 points per ship - 400 free points for running it the first time = 600 points needed in grinding.

600 grind points / 40 points per run = 15 extra runs during the anniversary event.

15 runs for each of the 3 factions = 45 runs through the SAME EXACT MISSION!! Add to that the first 3 runs (first for each faction) and that's 48 runs thru the same mission. Not to mention if you have other alt toons in the same faction like I do...

If the devs increased the number of free points in the first run AND increased the number of points earned through each additional run, it wouldn't seem so ridiculous... Since there's time still, can we rethink the need for 48 runs through the SAME mission?

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kantazo1 wrote: »
    Indeed and if the ships would be available for all your characters at once, then I bite the dust and do it, but having 7 characters, I have to do the same thing 7 times, what about those players who have more than 7?
    They have to either say goodbye to their lives, goodbye to their ships, or goodbye to their money.
    PyKDqad.jpg
    edited January 2014
    i asked why cant a person put a little time on the side, you cant be busy every moment of the day, somewhere in there you need some time for yourself or you will burn out. humans can only take so much psychological TRIBBLE, its not my standard, it is what is.

Are you married, do you have a wife, do you have kids? Do you work? Do you go to school? Do you sleep?
  • talgeezetalgeeze Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You never know what you can find on the Web...

http://imgur.com/a/Iosic
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Am I the only one at all impressed (though not terribly surprised) that Cryptic has actually upped the ante on not bothering to disguise their inability to create non-grind content?

*raises hand*

I'm with you. Not that it makes the hamster-wheel grinds anything other than hamster-wheel grinds, but it's refreshing that they're not trying to pretend it's anything else. "Do your daily logins to pad our 'active player' count and we'll give you a treat."
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This ship better be worth it. If not, it's just going to sit in my bank like all the other ships I've earned through similar methods.
    edited January 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    You know, if we earn these points from repeating the same episode over and over, then in order to earn the three ships (one for each character on each faction) then we'll wind up running the same episode 48 times!

1000 points per ship - 400 free points for running it the first time = 600 points needed in grinding.

600 grind points / 40 points per run = 15 extra runs during the anniversary event.

15 runs for each of the 3 factions = 45 runs through the SAME EXACT MISSION!! Add to that the first 3 runs (first for each faction) and that's 48 runs thru the same mission. Not to mention if you have other alt toons in the same faction like I do...

If the devs increased the number of free points in the first run AND increased the number of points earned through each additional run, it wouldn't seem so ridiculous... Since there's time still, can we rethink the need for 48 runs through the SAME mission?

CM

I would have to do the same mission 152 times if I want my 7 toons to have the ships.
    edited January 2014
    talgeeze wrote: »
    You never know what you can find on the Web...

http://imgur.com/a/Iosic

ohh shiny. . .here is some info from an article I found

Speaking in a developer update on the official website, executive producer Stephen D?Angelo said the update will contain a new episode starring ?a Star Trek actor who will bring their character to STO for the first time.?

The update will be releasing on January 30, 2014, as part of Star Trek Online?s 4th anniversary celebration. Participating in the usual fun and games with Q will let you earn a cool new starship (or three!). Federation, Romulan Republic, and Klingon Defense Force scientists have been hard at work adapting Dyson technology to their standard ship designs, and you can be among the first to try out these new hybrid starships.

?We?re excited to be continuing the storyline for the game with this amazing episode, and we?ll be announcing who this actor is in about a week, when you will get your first sneak peek at the episode,? he said. [Also] in this update, we have made a pass at 12 episodes in the early Federation experience, updating the episodes to hit a higher quality bar with both art and gameplay improvements throughout.

?We?re re-envisioning the hourly events as weekend-long events with better rewards. You can expect the hourly calendar to disappear with Season 8.5, with the new events showing up on the main calendar. Additionally, a small selection of the existing hourly events are being turned into Daily missions ? we?ll provide more information on this soon.?

With the Season 8.5 update, players will also be able to switch between their starships in sector space and social zones and each starship allows for multiple pre-made, saved build-outs.

This way, player will be able to easily switch between separate PvE and PvP builds, and will also be able to make use of the new ?easy equip? feature coming in the update.

Season 8.5 will be released on January 30 as part of Star Trek Online?s 4th anniversary celebration, and players can earn a new starship for participating in the festivities with Q.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So now we'll have Q as a resident guest star for 3 months in the year. What is this game turning into? Guess I should be happy he didn't invent Risa.

And lol :D bells and whistles. You can get an entire orchestra playing and I'm still not going through another grind for another ship. The good old ones I already own will have to suffice.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wouldn't mind the grind if the reward were account bound instead of character. Account bound would also have the benefit of us not losing the ship forever if we accidentally delete it or purposely delete it to make room for something else. It's not like dismissing the ship will net us huge EC/dilithium and the thing can't be sold/traded, so why not let us do the grind one time and have the ship unlock for all characters?
    edited January 2014

Seven characters?

Pffft, lightweight.

I've got 14. Somehow I doubt they'll all be getting a new ship now.

They didn't all get a ship at the WW either, with a grind one has to prioritise.

It's a huge pity that Cryptic have chosen to go down this path.

Under the old system there were, essentially, two routes to free ships.

The grinds from the summer and the winter got you a ten console curio.

A relatively quick mission once a year got you a nine console interesting thing.

Doiesn't really matter howe good these ships are. Cryptic just slammed the door on a huge proportion of characters ability to get the ship.

Very poorly done Cryptic, very poor.
    edited January 2014
    Are you married, do you have a wife, do you have kids? Do you work? Do you go to school? Do you sleep?

i sleep, im busy most days with a lot of TRIBBLE and hardly time for sto, but i can make the time even if i think there is no chance.
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rohthaga wrote: »
    I have been doing a little digging and I dont want to link anything but well here is a portion of the article

it was on one of the dev blogs a few days ago, anyone visiting the forum daily like i do already know this info :)
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Don't get pseudo-sciencey, it doesn't work like that in the real world ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Captains,

This image was taken from Tribble, but I wanted to provide a few important notes about this. The free ships this year are not your average Anniversary ship; they've got some extremely amazing bells and whistles, and even 2 new mechanics being introduced for the first time (more info soon). Because of this, you'll need to work a tad bit harder for a free ship over just running an episode one time. However! You will receive a package of 400 Qmendations as a one-time reward the first time you complete the Featured Episode, "A Step Between Stars." That means you only need to collect 600 more, which at 40 a day from completing a short daily, will take 15 days out of the 25+ days the event runs. There should also be a Lobi option for additional/ substitute Qmendations.

All of this info and much more will be coming up in our Dev Blogs next week, and I think once you see the ships, you'll see why a little extra effort for the ships will be more than worth it.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Will it at least be account-wide this time?

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Umm, nope.

*puts phaser to his head and fires*
    edited January 2014
    i sleep, im busy most days with a lot of TRIBBLE and hardly time for sto, but i can make the time even if i think there is no chance.

You dint answer the other questions, so when you get your life full of those other little disturbances in the force you will understand. LOL :D
    edited January 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »

We have a dreamer amongst us, he said account wide.... ;):D
    edited January 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Don't get pseudo-sciencey, it doesn't work like that in the real world ;)

Awww pooo. . I havent been frequent on the forums in a long time and mostly a casual player now so not so much the forum person i was in the past. . someone linked some pictures as well ;)
    edited January 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »

Thats three characters.

I don't know what the mean average number of toons per player is, but I do know there are a lot with six toons plus.

I have fourteen, and I doubt I have the most.

So, for the sake of argument lets say the mean average is six.

To get the ships for all the toons you'd have to run it a total of 96 times.

Thing is, that isn't the scary bit.

The scary bit is running it six times in a row for two bloody weeks.
    edited January 2014
    You dint answer the other questions, so when you get your life full of those other little disturbances in the force you will understand. LOL :D

fair enough (not that i have any intention of giving up private info). but even 10 minutes for 1 character, even that is manageable for someone super busy. thats where my line ends.
    edited January 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »

^^ THIS

This is the only thing that can save this terrible decision.

Make the ships account wide.
  • wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'll withold judgement until I see how annoying this daily grind is (if its better or worse than the god awful race) and how good the ship/console/gimmick is. even then, I'll probably only want it for my one science captain anyways
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]