test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We could have a tidal wave of anger come in around the start of the event if no changes are made.

"Could?"

"If?"

Now that's rich.

Let me offer a much more realistic scenario:

"We will have a tidal wave of nerd rage when, not if, this event goes off precisely as currently planned."

You think this thread's growing fast now? Wait until the non-forum-haunting players log in expecting their annual "Do mission, get ship" party and get "Do this daily for the next 15 days" right on the heels of the Winter Wonderland. It'll take 2 mods working full-time just to keep up (maybe) with merging all the new rage threads into this one.

Someone at Cryptic's gonna get a harsh lesson on the meaning of "pushing too hard, too soon." Me, I can't wait. :D
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    No, and that was a cheap shot. This is not a 'doom' thread, and its attracted no more than the usual doom-merchants. What it has attracted is a lot, a vast majority, of negative opinion. Usually thoughtfully expressed and respectful.

I didn't say doom thread I said doom post which is why i quoted a person that was saying it's the end of STO. The thread in itself is not obviously.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    No way am I patient enough to read 86 pages of posts.

But, looking at it it's still free. But God, not the grind again. :(

I only have four characters, so it's not that bad for me, but wow, coupled with the fact that we just got a ship grind from this winter, it's a bit rough.

And I appreciate the extra event slot, but I'd greatly appreciate it if the ship came with a ship slot to store it in for our trouble.

On the other hand there may have been foreshadowing for this; remember the Obelisk carrier? You had to turn around and repeat the mission several times for the Antiproton weapons, the warp core, then lobi for the advanced version and the rest of the set.

I certainly hope this FE is fun at least.

I enjoyed the Last FE mission.

You only had to run the mission twice to get all the rewards, 3 times if you were like me and missed the hidden Advanced Swarmers :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ari3sholeari3shole Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    askray wrote: »
    I didn't say doom thread I said doom post which is why i quoted a person that was saying it's the end of STO. The thread in itself is not obviously.

Please askray send massage to person, and stay on topic of the post for god sake you are moderator:D
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    errab wrote: »

You only had to run the mission twice to get all the rewards, 3 times if you were like me and missed the hidden Advanced Swarmers :o

I ran it 6+ times between all my various toons just because I liked the mission. But that would have been a lot less fun to go through if I had to replay that content X number of times within Y days to get reward Z...
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ari3sholeari3shole Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

That's right i enjoyed that too very much, i was getting ship, then i found out for Swarmers , then to complete set then accolades and it was fun for me and it didn't feel like grind at all.

I am wondering why they didn't do something like this for anniversary? They said that they are going big on this year anniversary that we would love it, and gave us grind of 15 days :/

Is every event from now on going to be grind? I thought that Winter/summer event, and the game itself is quite enough.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ari3shole wrote: »
    I am wondering why they didn't do something like this for anniversary? They said that they are going big on this year anniversary that we would love it, and gave us grind of 15 days :/.

We would love it without the grind. Tuvok, sweet ships, a new FE, and another C-store grab-bag give-away. I think cryptic just found precisely the wrong thing to do to cap that all off.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I agree, I seriously doubt the c-store giveaway is, in any shape or form, a reaction to this thread. What DID happen is that control was lost of the message. The details about the grind came out before the announcements of the new ships and the giveaway.

I imagine the original schedule would have given us the news about the ships and the giveaway. And then slip the grind bit in afterwards.

You know, after reading your post carefully, this part really caught my attention. And a thought ran through my mind - what was actually the worse scenario, the one that's happening now due to suaveks' curiosity, or the one from the second paragraph I quoted here? If you catch my drift.

As to the latter part of your post about the time consumption, I just want to say that for me personally is not the time consumtion that is troublesome. (although I can relate to the people who simply don't have the time to do it and I'm on their side)
    If that whooping nine hours you mentioned were spent doing, let's say, 5 to 10 new FE missions, I'd be cool with that. But chasing mini Qs for 15 days...ROFL :D I can think of stuff that is more fun to do, like watching paint dry.

And I'm also not talking about the relevance of multiple characters, although for people that would want the ships on multiple chars.....good luck guys, really, from the heart. I wouldn't bare to do this on a single char., I did the Chel Gret last year, I did the Risa last summer and then it hit me - "Shpoks what the hell are you doing, you've just stuck yourself on Risa for an entire month doing the same thing over and over instead of doing something fun, like FEs or foundry."
    Not to mention that if you actually happen to be a ship collector, or just equally play the 3 current factions (something Cryptic encouraged) you have this thing set on 3x15 at least.

But all of this I wrote is beyond the point. A gift should be a gift, given from the kindness of one's heart. You don't 'earn' anniversary gifts, you receive them because the ones that gave you presents care about you.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You don't 'earn' anniversary gifts, you receive them because the ones that gave you presents care about you.

And this is the crux of the biscuit- Cryptic is showing us just how much they really care about us. It's just that simple.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    im not saying that the c store thing might not have been planned, but.. the time of its release is very suspect, and it seemed like a maneuver (weather intended or not) to calm the masses..

unfortunately, this is what happens when you constantly try to pull the sheets over everyones eyes.. eventually, the masses learn.. and even if you are sincere, its like the boy who cried wolf..

I agree that when this goes live like this, its gonna have a lot of backlash for them.. and 1 constant you can rely on is that even though the players who use the forums do not represent the entire player base, it will give you a good idea of how the masses will take it..

sto already managed to scare off most of the "star trek" fans, it cant afford to scare off the other players as well.. and weather someone likes star trek or not, no one wants a boring game that is all about doing the same mission over and over and over again in rapid succession... (daily succession). well I cant say no one, but the masses wont want it..
  • dylantrinidydylantrinidy Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cant cryptic see that this is too much grind it's killing the game EVERYTHING is a grind I have been here for 4 years and reading the forums is more fun then the game now something has to change we cant take this anymore! So sick of this "do this hundreds of times to get this"
    edited January 2014
    And this is the crux of the biscuit- Cryptic is showing us just how much they really care about us. It's just that simple.

More like we're being shown how much the care about getting every possible dime out of us that they can.

Grind, Grind, Grind my friends and has a thank you for your continued grinding we present you with....... wait for it....... More Grind!

Somehow this is what I picture happened after the decision was made to add grind to the Anniversary event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6MlHxAzLXA

If this was not part of the Anniversary event it I would have never even blinked at the thought of it; however, it is and it just plain wrong IMO.

A Day or so ago I said that this was just has bad has the JHDC and is Attack Ship Hangers but in retrospect this is far worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    You know, after reading your post carefully, this part really caught my attention. And a thought ran through my mind - what was actually the worse scenario, the one that's happening now due to suaveks' curiosity, or the one from the second paragraph I quoted here? If you catch my drift.

Yup, Shpoks, we're on the same wavelength.

I think that this sequence of messages was particulary carefully planed by Cryptic to cushion the blow of the new grindaversary.

Control was lost of the message, hence how easy it is to see a certain cynicism in the c-store giveaway.

But, this was always a little cynical.

Seems like they knew we were not going to be happy and were hoping to soften us up beforehand.

Instead, the timing has been broken and the message is out of control.

Many have mentioned SoI in this thread.

I'd like to add my voice to those of us who hoped that it was the future.

A genuinely engaging and clever episode, that rewarded replay beyond mere kit.

I ran it twice on every toon and it never felt like a grind.

Here's the thing.......

Dear Cryptic.

If the new FE was of the same quality as SoI, I'd have less objection to running that, say, five times to get my new ship.

And please think about that. Five times fifteen minutes, as opposed to fifteen times five minutes.

You still get me to park my bum for as long a time as before.

You still get me coming back multiple days, assuming the usual 20 hour cooldown.

You don't have me mindlessly chasing mini-Qs around the academy.

And, if I or anyone else has problems around scheduling, you've just cut my problem down to a third.

In short, if you had stopped to consider any other possible models for a grind before settling for the same ol' same ol' you've used before then you could have avoided all this aggravation, and maybe even not needed to throw the c-store giveaway at us.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have read and reread all the comments good and bad and I still think this is a grand event that I will really enjoy.
    so for the anniversary event they are giving us at least 3 c-store items (maybe more?) free of charge as a thank you and the cherry on top is to extend the celebrations they are giving us the chance if we want it to get free event rep ship that sounds like it might just be the best event rep ship they have ever given us.
    this all sounds really cool to me and I think they deserve a mighty big birthday cheer from all of us. hip hip hooray. :)

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    At first glance I'd have to agree that the grind for the anniversary ship seems like an uncalled for grind and tax on people's time, however i recently read the Dev Blog: Ships ? From Start to Finish which gives some hints as to the new ships and what they do, and I have to agree (at least partially) that these new ships are worth a little extra effort to obtain, but since I (like most players) have multiple characters the daily mission to complete to get these ships will become tiring very quickly.
    edited January 2014
    I have read and reread all the comments good and bad and I still think this is a grand event that I will really enjoy.
    so for the anniversary event they are giving us at least 3 c-store items (maybe more?) free of charge as a thank you and the cherry on top is to extend the celebrations they are giving us the chance if we want it to get free event rep ship that sounds like it might just be the best event rep ship they have ever given us.
    this all sounds really cool to me and I think they deserve a mighty big birthday cheer from all of us. hip hip hooray. :)

So, you have all the time in the world or just a couple of toons I take it.

Or does 90 minutes becoming 9 hours not register as something unwelcome?
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited January 2014
    I am quite confident that cryptic will take a sensible approach and reduce the max number of runs to 10 or less given the feedback already decisively negative - And from probably only a small portion of the player bases that knows. I can image that 50% or more that will come back for the anniversary event have no idea that it will be different from last year.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can I grind something for the "free" C-Store giveaways next week ?

Please ?

... looking forward to celebrating the Grind ... -- now two years and going stronger then ever . WooHoo !!!
    edited January 2014

More like we're being shown how much the care about getting every possible dime out of us that they can.

Rocky Horror Picture Show moment: SAME THING!! :D
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    orion0029 wrote: »
    At first glance I'd have to agree that the grind for the anniversary ship seems like an uncalled for grind and tax on people's time, however i recently read the Dev Blog: Ships ? From Start to Finish which gives some hints as to the new ships and what they do, and I have to agree (at least partially) that these new ships are worth a little extra effort to obtain, but since I(like most players) have multiple characters the daily mission to complete to get these ships will become tiring very quickly.

It would be nicer if these new ships were account unlocks (Like C-Store ships), in that after you acquired one you could claim it as many times as you wanted on your characters, so that once you did the 'grinding' and earned these impressive ships you wouldn't have to do it all over again for your other toons...

That being said, Cryptic is giving away free account unlocks from the C-Store in the days leading up to the Anniversary event, so that would effectively be the freebie reward that people want, and all you'd have to do is log in and claim it, much less effort than past anniversary events.

I would like to comment on the 'grinding' complaints scattered throughout the forums by saying this: If you got all the best gear without having to work for it, how long would you be interested in playing STO? It would get boring pretty quickly having all the 'best' items in the game and not having a goal to work toward anymore, wouldn't it?

Lastly I'd like to thank the developers for continuing to (or at least trying to) make this a game worth playing, despite its shortcomings STO is a great game and will likely continue to be for years to come.
    Rep grinds are one thing, as they are not limited time and you can stop if you get tired of doing a particular one for a few days. Hell, I stopped doing Romulan for the better part of half a year because I got tired of grinding the marks, and I could still go back and finish them later.

This on, the other hand, is a limited time grind where if you miss too much you can't just pick it up later since it only lasts for 25 days. People really need to realise that grinding in and of itself for the game as a whole is not necessarily a problem, it's when you only have a limited time to do it in and it requires more than 5 or 6 repeats of the same thing to do. To much limited time grinding will burn people out faster than all the rep grinding, dil grinding and fleet grinding in this game combined.

And other than the transform, there's nothing about this ship that means it needs to be this kind of grind.

And no, the free giveaways don't make it any better.
  • hillard1959hillard1959 Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yo Dawg, I heard you like grinding events. So we put some grind in your grind so you can grind while you grind.
    edited January 2014

I would like to comment on the 'grinding' complaints scattered throughout the forums by saying this: If you got all the best gear without having to work for it, how long would you be interested in playing STO? It would get boring pretty quickly having all the 'best' items in the game and not having a goal to work toward anymore, wouldn't it?

Blimey.

Welcome to the forums, this being your first post and all.

Don't know if you've been playing the game long enough to remember the previous two anniversary events though.

You see, there's been a rhythm to ingame events up to now.

We've just had the winter wonderland. We expect we will have the chance to grind for an interesting, ten console ship.

And what usually follows is the anniversary event.

This has, up to now, been a welcome change of pace after grinding at the WW.

We've done a fifteen minute FE, and received as an anniversary gift a nine console ship of some sort.

Those ships aren't as good as the WW ships, at least on paper.

But thats not the point, because its not just a random event.

Its a celebration of this fine MMO becoming a year older. An achievement that belongs both to the developers and us, the players.

So, after grinding at the WW, we look forward to that celebration, an affirmation of the invisible contract between players and devs.

And whats happened?

We know that there need to be obstacles between us and the best kit, thats the game and people usually aren't that stupid.

However, MMOs are more than just accumulations of game mechanics.

This grindaversary has lost sight of something important.

Thats the beef.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This post has only been up for a little over 2 days, and is already over 850 post. The majority of what players have expressed has been distaste for the way things are heading for the anniversary event.

Pwebranflakes has said that this post is being watched, and our concerns are being considered. My question is if our concerns will have any weight on deciding to keep it like planned, or if it will be changed in a way to make it more enjoyable?

I don't know anything about programming, code, or any of the development work. Therefore, I don't know how long it would take to make whatever changes will be needed to make it fun, instead of a grind.

Is there any way that we can get some info of what the developer's plans are? (Keeping it the same, or changing it.)

If it is kept, can they at least make it where we can turn the extra Q commendations into refined Dilithium, or convert them into Lobi crystals? The Gold Pressed Latinum has no value for most (though not all) players.

Just a thought.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Other thing people (and developers) need to realise is that the length of the repeatable portion while grinding isn't important. 5 minutes of a task that is not fun is just as bad as 30 minutes in the eyes of the people wanting to do it. If it's not fun, people will hate doing it no matter how long it takes. Locking something good behind it may get some people to want to do the thing they are, it may not make others.

I will add that at least the 30 minute one would have the chance of adding more interesting things that may make the repeat less monotonous the more you do it.
    edited January 2014
    I understand that the previous anniversary ships (ie. Odyssey and Ambassador), were like the Obelisk (Do a mission get the ship, done), but if you look at those ships they were effectively stripped down versions of the C-Store and Fleet versions, the 4th anniversary ship is a stand alone ship* with its own interesting features, while it may/may not be worth getting is a matter of opinion, but since the ship is not a stripped down version* of another ship, some extra effort is not out of line, however, I am not saying that i completely approve of the 15 day grind required to get it, I'm just saying that a little more than just one mission seems appropriate for a non-stripped down model.

*likely not a stripped down model, just a guess, but a logical one.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    razar2380 wrote: »
    This post has only been up for a little over 2 days, and is already over 850 post. The majority of what players have expressed has been distaste for the way things are heading for the anniversary event.

Pwebranflakes has said that this post is being watched, and our concerns are being considered. My question is if our concerns will have any weight on deciding to keep it like planned, or if it will be changed in a way to make it more enjoyable?

I don't know anything about programming, code, or any of the development work. Therefore, I don't know how long it would take to make whatever changes will be needed to make it fun, instead of a grind.

Is there any way that we can get some info of what the developer's plans are? (Keeping it the same, or changing it.)

If it is kept, can they at least make it where we can turn the extra Q commendations into refined Dilithium, or convert them into Lobi crystals? The Gold Pressed Latinum has no value for most (though not all) players.

Just a thought.

oh its too late for them to hit the breaks on this one man.. im sorry to say, but its less than a week away.. they can barely change a color in the game in that amount of time.. and past cryptic (pwe) has shown that they may be watching, but that very very rarely has any effect on what is to come.. but at least they know the player base has had enouph...
  • abfabfleetabfabfleet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What happened to the days when we just played? Ohh wait, PWE came along and said ROOOOCK BOX, MUSSST BUY, NO BUY! LIKE BASE? PRETTY! OH YOU GRINE, YOU GRINE LONGTIME FOR BASE! :mad:

---- Three words: ENOUGH WITH GRINDING. :eek:

If I wanted to grind anything, I'd grab my wife and grind off on a vacation with the amount of time, money and energy I'd be saving GRINDING for something that as a 'thank you' or Anniversary gift should be for free. :D

Let me guess, for your partners in your real lives, do you make them GRIND or run mini-missions for 3 to 5 minutes for the gift, after 4 years of dedication??????? :rolleyes:
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    oh its too late for them to hit the breaks on this one man.. im sorry to say, but its less than a week away.. they can barely change a color in the game in that amount of time.. and past cryptic (pwe) has shown that they may be watching, but that very very rarely has any effect on what is to come.. but at least they know the player base has had enouph...

They might not be able to change the way that they set the event up but I sure they could change the timer on the cool down.

The Gift of Grind has a way of thanking us for Grinding is just a bit to much IMO.

If plans can't be changed drastically then I suggest taking a zero off the cool down timer on the mini game events and allow the players to run the events for the commendations once every Two hours so that the players can go at their own pace while the event is running or even better just remove the cool down timer all together.

It's like Cryptic has put our thank you gifts on a lay A Way plan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    I understand that the previous anniversary ships (ie. Odyssey and Ambassador), were like the Obelisk (Do a mission get the ship, done), but if you look at those ships they were effectively stripped down versions of the C-Store and Fleet versions, the 4th anniversary ship is a stand alone ship with its own interesting features, while it may/may not be worth getting is a matter of opinion, but since the ship is not a stripped down version of another ship, some extra effort is not out of line, however, I am not saying that i completely approve of the 15 day grind required to get it, I'm just saying that a little more than just one mission seems appropriate for a non-stripped down model.

So basically you've got insider information that there won't be a Fleet/C-store 10-console version of this 9-console ship?
    edited January 2014
    Excuse me for making a logical guess, but from the bits an pieces it is fairly safe to assume that there will be no C-Store version, perhaps a fleet version or a Lobi version, but since this thing already has several 'bells and whistles' it would be overpowered if there were a C-store version with it's own 'bells and whistles'