test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gurluas wrote: »
    I personally love the game, but I wish it went away from grinding and focused on exploration and random events.

I never liked grinding games, and I did quit for a few months before.
    Yet this game has so much potential, with features like the Foundry.
    Pretty much this, in short.

Should this be any other MMO I would probably give up a long time ago. Yet the reason I stick with STO is that, at it's core, it's simply an enjoyable and unique game - one of its kind, really (ship sim + ground combat + rpg). And what pains me the most is that the game has SO much potential which is completely ignored by the Devs. It's absurd.

I already play very little compared to what I used to. And although I honestly wish this game was amazing and I realise it needs to make money in certain ways, I'd also like the devs to finally come to their senses... Most of them don't even actually play the game or do so casually, which is not enough to get a grasp of how an average player perceives it. As a result we're continuously presented with a bad idea followed by a bad idea, or a bad implementation of a decent idea...

This is just an example of one of the latter. They want players to log-in on a daily basis to earn their new shiny starship? That's ok, but why ask them to engage in a tedious task instead of offering them something fun, that won't be seem repetitive? Especially after two weeks of running numerous alts? Like something similar to Winter Invasion PvE mission (instead of running around the frozen lake that has nothing to do with the actual game)?

Or at least stick with the previous model - give us a free ship for running the Featured Episode, and for those players who want an upgraded version release on in the C-Store or Fleet Store. In the meantime encourage player to log in by introducing other activities. Instead of running around chasing mini-Q's release some silly space PvE mission, or introduce a SERIES of activities and let player decide which one to do on this particular day.

As it is those events seem more and more like work, and not fun activities. At least the Winter Race was doable in less than a minute, which I cannot say for the Summer one, or last year's Present Patrol...
    starkaos wrote: »
    How is it BS? The ship is still free for those that put in the work for it.
    It's not exactly free if you have to work for it...

It's like saying all dilithium store items are free for those who work for their dilithium on a daily basis.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to use my lobi to speed up the grind for a dysone ship. How far do you think 100 lobi will get me? 30%?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to use my lobi to speed up the grind for a dysone ship. How far do you think 100 lobi will get me? 30%?

Unless you really don't have the time, I would suggest keeping your lobi for other things. I'm not entirely sure what the payout is on the lobi Qmendations, maybe somone else knows. :)
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Probably 40 - 80 /1000 Qmendations => 1-2 days worth of Grinding (2-6 Qmendations for 5 Lobi, at least thats the "Grind Formula" for the last Events)
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Back-of-then-envelope math says that'll get you out of maybe 2-3 days worth of the grind. I can think of much better things to do with 100 lobi than saving 15 minutes of annoyance.
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Have you tried the exploration clusters? Sure it's pretty repetitive, but kinda fun. :D

I have and they're actually quite fun, but the reward is next to useless.
    If exploration clusters rewarded marks and Dilithium, now that'd be cute.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yup, as others have posted, you won't get very far.

100 Lobi would get you 20 boxes with an average of 4 Q-mendations per box would get you 80 of them. Maybe 100-120 *IF* you were very lucky and *IF* they follow the same formula that the summer and winter Lobi to event pack uses. And since there is no reason to think it will vary, I think you'd be better off saving your Lobi.

Getting 80-120 of the 1000 (or 8%-12%) needed Q-mendations is 2-3 days of not having to do a short, simple mission. To me, not worth it in the least.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I don't mind the grind for the ships if I'm honest. But it is getting a little ridiculous having one grind directly after another especially should they decide to bring out another reputation queue. If the ships are worth are as good as we all hope they'll be and not just a new gimmick, then of course I don't mind grinding for them. But given the last lot of ships we had to grind for or have been given and the overall quality of the builds that have been done as a result I'm not going to hold out any hope.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    especially should they decide to bring out another reputation queue..

there will always be new rep grinds even fleet last 2 years has showed that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    It's not exactly free if you have to work for it...

It's like saying all dilithium store items are free for those who work for their dilithium on a daily basis.

Spending 5 minutes per day for a couple of weeks is free no matter how you look at it. If I don't need to spend a single cent or too many hours to get something, then it is free. Also, you have to work for almost every single item in this game. The only items you don't have to work for are those anniversary poppers and other giveaways that just require logging in. Some items require far less work to obtain like Hypos than other items like purple Mk XII weapons.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Spending 5 minutes per day for a couple of weeks is free no matter how you look at it. If I don't need to spend a single cent or too many hours to get something, then it is free. Also, you have to work for almost every single item in this game. The only items you don't have to work for are those anniversary poppers and other giveaways that just require logging in. Some items require far less work to obtain like Hypos than other items like purple Mk XII weapons.

This.

Making quick daily runs is no big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

If somebody has a lot of alts, and don't want to grind them all through the event, simply pick the ones the ships will benefit the most. That's my take anyway.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited January 2014

What's that old expression........ Oh yeah!

"Time is Money"

The saying is more so true when it comes to MMO's because there the more time you spend grinding the content (in this case) the more potential there is for Cryptic to make money off of you.

These new ships may not have to cost actual money but they are far from free.

I see the ships has payment for services rendered to anyone that runs the Mission and mini daily missions for 15 days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    There is a distinct difference between subjective and objective reasoning. Your opinion on games based on your personal preferences is not objective and therefore no valid argument. :cool:

to be honest, I am a huge lord of the rings fan.. (read the books at least once a year.) not only do I play this game currently right now.. but I move between rift, wow, swtor, was doing ***, and a few other games.. its not about preference, its about seeing what works, and what doesn't, and experiencing it all.

my personal preference is for all games.. lotro is a horrendous game, not only are the graphics horrible, but the game play Is weird.. it went ftp out of necessity to survive, and it barely does that if you read up on it in publications.. yes, it has tokens that grant you a reset on your daily, but Christ, whats the point of daily missions and quests then.. and, unlike sto where it costs you 500 zen to do anything (cause sto's pricing is way out of wack) it is relatively cheap in lotro, and obtainable in game.. (and im not talking grind for x currency and convert it (at a ridiculously lousy conversion rate) to another currency, then buy it at an overpriced cost).

ddo is just plain and simple a lost cause..

I have a very open mind, and because I play a multitude of different games, I get to see things that work, and things that don't.. in my personal opinion, rift has one of the best free to play setups.. it isn't really pay to win, its more about mounts and dimensional items, and costume), yes some services, but nothing that limits you in the game.. it is both fairly priced, and has a great system of rewarding you for buying things.. I suggest anyone check it out just to see the system, and then compare it to other free to play games..

id say the worst free to play experience is swtor, hands down.. it is the most annoying, expensive, and outright biggest grab for cash.. it makes sto look like a saint lol...

I rate sto somewhere in the middle, their prices are a little expensive, but for the most part not out of this world.. (lobi is a little out of control, and all this bind to character bs is also).. but has decent value..

in comparison to rift, the only other complaint I would have, is rift seperates the gameplay, from the online store. to clearafy, when cryptic launches a new item like these ships, they intentionally make it a pain and boring to get them, cause they want people to cough up the cash to just buy it.. rift doesn't really do this.. sure, you can get certain items that you get through daily's with cash, but these items are not really endgame items.. they are a stepping stone, leaving the endgame items to drops and luck and skill..

sto used to be like this, they used to have non game impacting items on the c store, and I know for a fact that they sold like hot cakes.. bridges, costumes, ship skins... these are what should be put out there.. not.. "hey, if you want to keep up with the most badass ship in game, you have to buy it.. further more, making us pay for fleet varients of ships that I have already bought sometimes twice, was a little ridiculous.. even with the discount in modules, it was still me "purchasing" the ship again.. and that to me was a kick in the face..

in my eyes, a free to play model, shouldn't hinder a players ability to play the game. mmo's are notorious for people collecting costumes, pets, mounts, accolades, and other stuff. it can be successful without making the game a pay to win experience, like sto most definatly is (infact, id say its the worst in that category)..
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What others have said, plus consider the possibility that there might be fleet versions of said ships since we don't know their official stats yet.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Spending 5 minutes per day for a couple of weeks is free no matter how you look at it.
    So is hitting your head against a wall. Heck, it'll even take you less time.

I've stated numerous times here - it's not the grind that's the biggest issue for me, but what you have to do in terms of that grind. A video game never should seem like work. If the devs don't manage to introduce content that's interesting and fun even after a few replays, then they've failed at their primary task - to deliver a fun experience.

I constantly provide an example of Crystalline Cataclysm, which is how a good event should be made. Not only it's a fun and challenging PvE mission available at two difficulty levels, but also for that event the devs have introduced a random element in the form of anomalies which you don't normally see in Crystalline Catastrophe. Doing CC once per day for a couple of weeks for some rewards was both fun and interesting. Something I cannot say about pointless tasks we usually have to participate in during holiday or anniversary events.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This.

Making quick daily runs is no big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

If somebody has a lot of alts, and don't want to grind them all through the event, simply pick the ones the ships will benefit the most. That's my take anyway.

if this was the only one, or even one of 3 it wouldn't be that bad.. but as it is right now, all of the endgame content is based off of little 5 minute runs here and there. it adds up at the end of the day.. you end up spending an hour or two (which is all some people have) trying to keep up with the power creep..

if all this grinding was for monetary things such as pets, or accolades, or costumes or what not, it wouldn't be a big deal.. but.. 90% of all endgame gear is attached to not just a grind, but an epic grind.. most ships are attached to a grind (fleet especially.) all ground gear is linked to big grinds..

and since the game is one big dps race, there is a high need to have this gear/ships/consoles.. thus making it almost a necessity to do them.. and cryptic feeds off this, not only by making most available via real life cash, but purposely making these grinds as annoying as possible to try to sway people to use the buy out options..
    edited January 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    if this was the only one, or even one of 3 it wouldn't be that bad.. but as it is right now, all of the endgame content is based off of little 5 minute runs here and there. it adds up at the end of the day.. you end up spending an hour or two (which is all some people have) trying to keep up with the power creep..

if all this grinding was for monetary things such as pets, or accolades, or costumes or what not, it wouldn't be a big deal.. but.. 90% of all endgame gear is attached to not just a grind, but an epic grind.. most ships are attached to a grind (fleet especially.) all ground gear is linked to big grinds..

and since the game is one big dps race, there is a high need to have this gear/ships/consoles.. thus making it almost a necessity to do them.. and cryptic feeds off this, not only by making most available via real life cash, but purposely making these grinds as annoying as possible to try to sway people to use the buy out options..

this ^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    as long as this ship is last version we get im fine but if there be another better version in c store or ship modules i wont even play fe
    edited January 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    as long as this ship is last version we get im fine but if there be another better version in c store or ship modules i wont even play fe

imo they will be a fleet one if not a cstore one they are faction ships but i say they will come later unless cryptic says plainly say no other version later i say there will be fleet one or so later bet on it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    imo they will be a fleet one if not a cstore one they are faction ships but i say they will come later unless cryptic says plainly say no other version later i say there will be fleet one or so later bet on it

yeah but no other version costed 100-120 lock boxes like this ship will
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gurluas wrote: »
    I have and they're actually quite fun, but the reward is next to useless.
    If exploration clusters rewarded marks and Dilithium, now that'd be cute.
    There's a daily mission from Lt Grall that gives you Dil for exploring 3.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2014

and why this hole thread is here like i said unless cryptic says no other version you can bet they will be a fleet one unless this one gets upgraded to fleet status
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Only if you don't do the daily.... ever.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tachyonharmonictachyonharmonic Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    So is hitting your head against a wall. Heck, it'll even take you less time.

I've stated numerous times here - it's not the grind that's the biggest issue for me, but what you have to do in terms of that grind. A video game never should seem like work. If the devs don't manage to introduce content that's interesting and fun even after a few replays, then they've failed at their primary task - to deliver a fun experience.

Pretty much this. If we had to spend 2 weeks doing a 15-mission arc where you could only complete 1 mission a day, but they were all different and had even a mediocre story, everyone would be super excited.

It's not that we have to grind weeks for our "gift" (which is stupid imo), but the primary problem is we're doing something dumb and tedious for it.

You know what the instant solution to this is?

Have us play a foundry mission each day for our Qmendations.

Not only do you solve the problem of it being a tedious grind, you also encourage people to play foundry missions. Kill two birds with one stone.

Come on Cryptic, it's not that hard.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I bet this would bring down the aggrevation of this silly decision they made.
    The grind is bad on itself, but doing something stupid like chasing mini Qs over and over makes it a million times worse.

Although if something is suposed to be a gift, you don't ask for anything from the one that receives it.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    but doing something stupid like chasing mini Qs over and over makes it a million times worse.

doing something like that shows me this game getting to mediocre sorry to the dev that made it but this sounds like something from a facebook game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I didn't realize they were adding something to skip the grind to the C-Store. Guess I'm done. Just unsubscribed.

I'm sure the numbers and metrics were up for them during the Winter Event, and I put my time in on my characters, but obviously they don't understand grind fatigue or burnout. I barely got mine in with real life intruding often, and sometimes I could spend more than a few hours at a sitting, but it was hard to make sure I was in daily.

Cryptic, your idea of 'free' and 'gift' is starting to stray into politician-level stretches. It's one thing to say 'contribute x marks for Qmendations' and let us get the marks however we'd like, but to actually present hoops we have to jump through daily (literally, fly through during the summer event)...now I just feel like a circus animal (with money) being trained daily or a lab rat learning to push a button for a reward.

Thanks for taking us to that point. :mad:
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd suggest doing the daily every day you can before you spend the lobi. Only spend lobi if you find that by the end of the event you are just a day or two short of completing the event.
  • donrahdonrah Member Posts: 348
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, the grind is a punishment for not paying. So, I'll be taking a break from STO for a while. I recommend others do as well if you wish to make a statement to Cryptic that we will not grind anymore. Tell your friends and fleet mates to take a few weeks off from STO.
    Go here and show your support for a better Foundry!
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Pretty much this. If we had to spend 2 weeks doing a 15-mission arc where you could only complete 1 mission a day, but they were all different and had even a mediocre story, everyone would be super excited.

It's not that we have to grind weeks for our "gift" (which is stupid imo), but the primary problem is we're doing something dumb and tedious for it.

Not only do you solve the problem of it being a tedious grind, you also encourage people to play foundry missions. Kill two birds with one stone.

Come on Cryptic, it's not that hard.

This is a wonderful idea, adding foundry missions to the list of how you can earn the new ship.