What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Aright to start I must say I don't like ARC... why ? simple it is redundant I have no use for the in-game browser and it uses the base launcher to start the game and do patching add to that the fact that it uses some system resources to have running and its just not worth using.

Some things that might help it a bit :

- Have it download and patch game files directly from Arc
    - Option to have it launch the game directly bypassing the launcher
    - When the game is launcher add a option to have the Arc window closed / sent to taskbar
    - Option to disable the in-game browser and thereby reduce resources used

- Add a Screenshot & Character costume management system allowing players to view screenshots & 3d models of all their saved costumes and delete or rename them.

- Add a special bug report feature to the shift+tab window, which when used would give a dump of all necessary / useful information and submit it to the support team. (this could possibly help fix the missing textures glitch some of us are having if the right info was sent)

- Have surveys on what players would like to see / input on things you are doing and working on with draws for in-game rewards (lobi, zen, items)
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ethoir wrote: »
    Arc is incapable of noticing that I've got STO installed.

I've got STO installed in "C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios" and its been there since 2011/2012. Later when Neverwinter was released I installed it there as well. So the Cryptic Studios folder has STO and NW in it as sub-folders. The root folder (Cryptic Studios) has the launchers/patchers for both games and that's how I played for ages.

Then I tried Arc when the Kahn tuniform thing came out and things went sideways. Arc could see that I had Neverwinter installed and hooked up appropriately to it. When it came to STO however, the client didn't do the same thing. As far as the Arc Client was concerned, the only game I had installed was Neverwinter.

The Patcher/Launcher for STO was in the same place as the Patcher/Launcher for Neverwinter and both games had their own sub-folders within the same directory and the registry is still correct as far as I know. So to me the fact that Arc could not see that I had STO installed despite it being right there bothered me. I can still patch the game and play it with the taskbar shortcut I have on hand, but Arc still thinks I don't have it installed and I had to add it manually to the games list which still doesn't make the client see it as installed (it has an 'install' button on STO's arc page in-client).

Is there a fix for this?

Simple - Just click add games, point it to the STO launcher.exe and it'll work from that :) And yes, you do get the rewards as well. :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Other then the freebies, is there any reason to bother downloading arc if STO is the only cryptic/PWE game I play?
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Absolutely none...

Of cause, it will be forced upon you eventually, but until then I suggest you stay away.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Other then the freebies, is there any reason to bother downloading arc if STO is the only cryptic/PWE game I play?

Depends on what you are interested in. If all you do is play the game, then don't bother with Arc. If you want to access the forums from your game without opening Chrome/Firefox/whatever you use, then it is somewhat handy.

In my opinion, Arc doesn't add anything to the experience, while Steam does that for me due to my friend list with whom I communicate when I'm ingame.

So, unless you want forum access, an uniform, 20 lobi and a shuttle, Arc offers nothing for you.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks guys. I shall avoid it like the plague.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Note, however, that there will be a day coming when the standalone launcher no longer works. Come that day, you'll need to use either Arc or Steam.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    talerientalerien Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ugh More spyware, I refused steam for the exact same reasons ... DO NOT WANT
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Cryptic,

Please, I am begging you, do not make Arc mandatory. Besides the spyware issue, I left Steam due to having problems with another program running in the back ground, and using up processor speed. On top of this, I live in a very, very, remote community, which has very low download speeds. I get disconnected several times during an STO session, or am unable to connect at all to the STO servers during periods of the day. Literally, I cannot afford to lose a single kilobyte to Arc.

THIS!

I also live in a remote location. I simply cannot have Arc running in background or anything that might lower my internet speeds. I don't want spyware and I don't play other games anyways. I only play STO,. that will not change. or something that eats up my memory space.
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    http://catstarsto.deviantart.com/art/Save-STO-438420889

I haven't given up on you guys, I have still been listening to your pleads to PWE that fell on deaf ears. and will keep doing all in my ability to fight this. If a hand full want ARC they can have it, the rest of us must speak up and make our voice heard if we dont want it. Its the only way they will listen to us! We can force them to by a passive protest, the voice from their buyers!

Enough with the nay saying and games, take hold of this opportunity to speak up and tell them, reach out to guild mates and friends in game and tell them whats going on and to band together, if you dont want arc tell them (everyone), let your voice drowned out their sales pitch. We dont have to pay you for something we dont want, if you want our money give us a reason to spend it on you! Its that simple, if you let them know your too afraid to speak up you give them less incentive to listen to you, and they know you will cave in. Lets get this done, before its too late!

Many of us do have a lot to loose, and spent much time, effort and money on the game. Many of us have been here for a long time too, a lot longer then PWE. You cant fix something that wasnt broken, lets stick to the bugs that do need attention, and the devs that need the funding! If you want more money and to expand, try making the game to relate to Trek rather then to resemble your other games (I see what your doing there!) On top of it, you recklessly are willing to subject us to spyware and an invasion of our privacy, as if gifts and unlocks would pay for the damage it can cause to your customers machines and possibly their account safety. This is all being tallied. You can move comments around to bury them from sight, or erase and say its a violation of policy's or even have groupies try to talk over it with changing the subject and fan club folly...but as I said before, word of mouth can be very powerful and can work for or against you in the end.
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Simple - Just click add games, point it to the STO launcher.exe and it'll work from that :) And yes, you do get the rewards as well. :)

The point is that it should've auto-detected STO. All it did was auto-detect Neverwinter and display the proper web page for that. Doing what you suggest doesn't result in the "sto page" showing when I look at that shortcut button in the client. Why can't it auto-detect my installation of STO (which would mean having to add it manually)?

I'm sorry, but this kind of impaired functionality makes the Steam client five times better than this. And being the old vet I am, I will just run the launcher directly from my pinned taskbar icon until it is no longer an option. :(
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    http://catstarsto.deviantart.com/art/Save-STO-438420889

I haven't given up on you guys, I have still been listening to your pleads to PWE that fell on deaf ears. and will keep doing all in my ability to fight this. If a hand full want ARC they can have it, the rest of us must speak up and make our voice heard if we dont want it. Its the only way they will listen to us! We can force them to by a passive protest, the voice from their buyers!

Meh, between turning the Anniversary Event into a grind so soon after finishing the Winter Event, and the eventuality of a mandatory "Arc experience", I'm already pretty much losing interest in STO. The game itself is great, the community is generally cool, but the other stuff just makes logging in less and less appealing. Why grind when I know I'll probably stop playing in the near future anyway? At this point, it's getting more towards what can draw me back rather than what'll keep me here; mostly I'm just waiting to see if I'll just liquidate everything to my fleet/fleetmates and pull up stakes.

The website is something I avoid if at all possible, to the point where I check my News via the forum listing rather than cycling through the tiles. I'm sure it looks prettier on a phone, but I'm an MMO player. I have access to both a mouse and keyboard, and as such do not actually need tiles to avoid fatfingering the wrong link on the website. I kind of wish the forum looked better too, but that ship has sailed... into a depressed slate/grey palate.

Change isn't always a bad thing; this doesn't mean change is always a good thing either. Ultimately, PWE has the right to change their products and we have the right to change what products we use. “No matter how far you have gone on a wrong road, turn back.” That applies as much to sticking with a MMO that has faded as it does the decision making processes that led to it doing so. I just haven't decided if it has faded beyond the point where it can be polished back to it's full potential.

Interestingly enough, Perrywinkle, Peuce, and Umber are text color options... of course, designating the text color as "Blood" turns it a rather nice shade of purple, so go figure. Hey, you try and find something that isn't either depressingly dull or just plain glaring against this background. I finally settled on Chartreuse, though that's still somewhat brighter than anything else on the screen... and it hurts my eyes, so I'm changing it. Phthalo works. Dull, but it works.
    :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I now have the use of a backup desktop (it's using the TV for a display, which is why it's a backup), so I downloaded Arc to it to see how well it would handle things. No problems whatsoever.

And yes, it detected my original installs of both STO and CO, and put the launch buttons right there in Arc, so if I were so inclined I could go ahead and use it. (As it happens, I see no reason to do so; the standalones still work, and unlike Arc Steam keeps track of my CO achievements).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If anyone from PWE or Cryptic is still checking this for feedback I have some.

I was just checking my days subscribed and finally found the location for it. I get there and see 7 months and then a few days....

Okay let me see the rewards are based on 100 day intervals. but the site no longer tracks the number of days but converts them into months....

So in order to figure out where I am in the rewards listing I have to get a calendar, go back several months and count the days to get the current total. Then I have to manually keep track of each day thereafter.

I have Dyscalculia for those that dont know what this is its Numerical dyslexia. Because of this All this counting is EXTREMELY hard to do for me.

Is there any chance of switching it back to the straight day count? It would make this so much simpler again....

I am not alone in STO with this. I know a few people that also have dyscalculia that play the game.

Thanks
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    doctordnadoctordna Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Before I continue, yes I am a doctor in real life and in my spare time I enjoy online gaming. So I am not the "average" teen ranting at the game maker, shouting irate game rage into the wind. I make real money, so I would like to believe the developers would be interested in my opinion. Then this and other games would appeal to more people like myself and they would spend real cash on this game.

These are the reasons I can honestly say Arc is a bad idea and will ruin any gaming experience;
    1. On my system the root directory cannot be accessed without my permission. Arc attempts to access it to write files and folders here and this causes a serious error and is a breach of security. No program should be allowed root access!
    2. The process is using approximately 77.2 MB of memory privately, and a further 16.2 MB.
    3. Arc doesn't exit when you play your game, it minimizes to the system tray and continues to use needed resources.
    4. Most PWE games now demand Arc to be installed. Although Arc itself is still said to be in beta. PWE games are now referenced as Arc Games.
    5. When installing games Arc uses the outdated and highly questionable "Pando Media Booster" please note: Pando shut down its servers and ceased business on August 31, 2013.
    6. Arc is a useless middle man in the process of getting updates or even downloading the game.

When contacting customer support they suggest users resort to Steam over Arc. Why is the company promoting an obvious viral menu system to run games while the tech support sends them to Steam? Why bother to waist time and resources on Arc and not just tell ALL the users to go use Steam? Why not use torrents to deliver the games?

I have observed that anyone who watched Star Trek has an above average intellect. We are smart people and you cannot pull the wool over our eyes. Making Arc mandatory for STO and other Cryptic games would be a very bad move.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    doctordna wrote: »
    Before I continue, yes I am a doctor in real life and in my spare time I enjoy online gaming. So I am not the "average" teen ranting at the game maker, shouting irate game rage into the wind. I make real money, so I would like to believe the developers would be interested in my opinion. Then this and other games would appeal to more people like myself and they would spend real cash on this game.

These are the reasons I can honestly say Arc is a bad idea and will ruin any gaming experience;
    1. On my system the root directory cannot be accessed without my permission. Arc attempts to access it to write files and folders here and this causes a serious error and is a breach of security. No program should be allowed root access!
    2. The process is using approximately 77.2 MB of memory privately, and a further 16.2 MB.
    3. Arc doesn't exit when you play your game, it minimizes to the system tray and continues to use needed resources.
    4. Most PWE games now demand Arc to be installed. Although Arc itself is still said to be in beta. PWE games are now referenced as Arc Games.
    5. When installing games Arc uses the outdated and highly questionable "Pando Media Booster" please note: Pando shut down its servers and ceased business on August 31, 2013.
    6. Arc is a useless middle man in the process of getting updates or even downloading the game.

When contacting customer support they suggest users resort to Steam over Arc. Why is the company promoting an obvious viral menu system to run games while the tech support sends them to Steam? Why bother to waist time and resources on Arc and not just tell ALL the users to go use Steam? Why not use torrents to deliver the games?

I have observed that anyone who watched Star Trek has an above average intellect. We are smart people and you cannot pull the wool over our eyes. Making Arc mandatory for STO and other Cryptic games would be a very bad move.

Listen to the doctor PWE. He's about covered it all I think. ;)

And he is a doctor!
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We've got a beta version of our new website and Arc client ready for your feedback.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1076561

Please take a look and let us know what you think. You can post feedback here in this thread, or follow the feedback instructions listed in the blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Dezstravus
    There's one thing I definitively don't like about this...

The disappearance of the 4.99€ Zen buying option. :mad:
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited March 2014

100MB of Ram is not something to complain over. Web browsers use up more space. It's actually about the same size as a resident fully featured Anti Virus security suite.

If that tiny 100MB is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL to your system performance, you really, seriously, need to upgrade.

If you don't want it running in the background, don't launch it in the first place? Get STO installed then simply launch the STO exe directly and bypass Arc?

I completely agree Arc is a waste of time and resources considering that Steam has already solved the game distribution problem. Arc is there purely for cross marketing of their other games. Offers nothing above and beyond Steam.

Really though, just hop on the Steam bandwagon and leave Arc to fester.

In Valve we trust.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    questionable[/URL] "Pando Media Booster" please note: Pando shut down its servers and ceased business on August 31, 2013.

There was a thread posted about the Pando Media Booster and it needs to be uninstalled if you have it on your system and i also agree with everything you said I won't be using Arc if I can be bothered to install it via Steam if not then it will be goodbye STO. I find little to make me play the game and don't play as long as I used to anymore and thats only partially with work and family. And I can guess there is quite a few people who will leave or use Steam when Arc goes live and this will hurt STO rather than help it grow.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    100MB of Ram is not something to complain over. Web browsers use up more space. It's actually about the same size as a resident fully featured Anti Virus security suite.

If that tiny 100MB is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL to your system performance, you really, seriously, need to upgrade.

If you don't want it running in the background, don't launch it in the first place? Get STO installed then simply launch the STO exe directly and bypass Arc?

I completely agree Arc is a waste of time and resources considering that Steam has already solved the game distribution problem. Arc is there purely for cross marketing of their other games. Offers nothing above and beyond Steam.

Really though, just hop on the Steam bandwagon and leave Arc to fester.

In Valve we trust.

Pretty much what this guy said. :cool:
  • Options
    jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    idrona wrote: »
    And he is a doctor!

But is he a madman in a police box with a screwdriver?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rockingborgrockingborg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just recently posted my problem with the ARC Client.

It is using up 40 to 60 percent of my CPU when left alone. This is absolutely one of the worse program that I have ever seen. STEAM doesn't even eat up 5% of my CPU yet ARC needs 40% to 60%????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I demand the ability to exit ARC when I launch my STO game. I do not wish to have this POS program running in the background eating up my CPU usage when it's needed for game play, because of your lousy ARC program, I can barely play my game and I have a very advanced gaming system.

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090 3.2 GHZ
    VC: Radeon HD 6970
    RAM: 8GB
    HD: 256 GB SSD

I mean really, if my system cannot handle ARC and its game then something's wrong. I suggest to fire the programmers and blacklist them. I have never seen a program this horrible in my entire professional IT career.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Number 4...........

Could this mean that they are going to stop Steam from running STO and/or the stand alone client, even via the .exe ? I mean if there's is no ARC on Steam, and PW games needs......sorry DEMANDS it..........then how could it run?

Yes, yes I'm nit picking, but I'd sooner trust Scooby Doo to guard a crate of doughnuts then to believe PW. They just seem to do more back flipping than a caffeine jacked up Dolphin on a springboard. :rolleyes:

Thats right! Many of you have been rolling your eyes at me, thinking ive been wrong and PWE wouldnt go that far....its beginning to sink in now! Sux doesn't it?!! ...that they have been handed the last laugh at our expense! Listen to your old buddy CatStar, have my motives not always been for the communities benefit?!

(Trust your Caitians!) =^.^=
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    Thats right! Many of you have been rolling your eyes at me, thinking ive been wrong and PWE wouldnt go that far....its beginning to sink in now! Sux doesn't it?!! ...that they have been handed the last laugh at our expense! Listen to your old buddy CatStar, have my motives not always been for the communities benefit?!

(Trust your Caitians!) =^.^=

CatStar, just be quiet, okay?! I'm sick and tired of you trying to be this stupid hero that's going to save STO!

You're not a hero, you're not going to save STO with your paranoia and "heroism", this paranoia is stupid and the only reason this thread has gone on for nearly 170 pages is because everyone keeps throwing around false information because of this paranoia. And when I mean "everyone", I'm talking about the people here who keep crying "spyware", "malware", and "sending the information to China".

It's beta. It's not finished. It's not going to be for awhile. There's still time to fix these things and not "Oh, well, a handful of Trekkies hate it, so we're not going to use it anymore."
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's beta. It's not finished. It's not going to be for awhile.

Why not, can't they decompile and copy Steam any faster? :P
  • Options
    forgottenmythforgottenmyth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just recently posted my problem with the ARC Client.

It is using up 40 to 60 percent of my CPU when left alone. This is absolutely one of the worse program that I have ever seen. STEAM doesn't even eat up 5% of my CPU yet ARC needs 40% to 60%????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I demand the ability to exit ARC when I launch my STO game. I do not wish to have this POS program running in the background eating up my CPU usage when it's needed for game play, because of your lousy ARC program, I can barely play my game and I have a very advanced gaming system.

CPU: Phenom II X6 1090 3.2 GHZ
    VC: Radeon HD 6970
    RAM: 8GB
    HD: 256 GB SSD

I mean really, if my system cannot handle ARC and its game then something's wrong. I suggest to fire the programmers and blacklist them. I have never seen a program this horrible in my entire professional IT career.

For comparison, the Battle.net launcher (pretty much the same exact thing as the Arc launcher) takes less than 2% of CPU resources on my Pentium dual core, is A LOT prettier and only runs 1 other process in the background called Agent.exe for getting Update info for installed games.

For those saying Arc is a beta as an excuse for consuming ungodly amounts of system resources.. WAKE UP!! there is absolutely NO REASON this launcher should consume any more than about 30billion cycles and 64mb of ram. Any more and its obviously doing a lot more than being a launcher. Im not saying its spying on us (personally though i think it is) but it is doing SOMETHING.

Maybe its just running 500,000 infinite For loops :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    CatStar, just be quiet, okay?! I'm sick and tired of you trying to be this stupid hero that's going to save STO!

Eeeasy on the words there tiger. ;)
    Are we sufering from delusions of grandeur a bit? Who the heck do you think you are to tell people (or cats:D) to shut up and be quiet??
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2014

You're not a hero, you're not going to save STO with your paranoia and "heroism", this paranoia is stupid and the only reason this thread has gone on for nearly 170 pages is because everyone keeps throwing around false information because of this paranoia. And when I mean "everyone", I'm talking about the people here who keep crying "spyware", "malware", and "sending the information to China".

It's beta. It's not finished. It's not going to be for awhile. There's still time to fix these things and not "Oh, well, a handful of Trekkies hate it, so we're not going to use it anymore."

Im not sure what china has to do with anything, and I never claimed to be a hero. Im a customer trying to keep his favored product from being burred in and used by a sea of unwanted games hanging off of STOs popularity, I Ive tolerated PWE but ARC was a 3rd party that wasnt in the agreement. Haven't you read the original license agreement for the STO discs and game, even when I bought my lifetime sub, my contract was between me and cryptic as an end user contract. Ill keep my cryptic launcher like in the documentation i agreed to stated, cryptic has the right to change and update THEIR launcher, not bring in a 3rd party one! I have and will say no to ARC, and yes they are a threat, as my last pc began to accumulate adware and search bars once I downloaded arc and played champs through it!

...remain quiet...lol. Ive paid them a lot of money and been a loyal customer over the years, I think ive earned the right to have a say!
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's beta. It's not finished. It's not going to be for awhile.

Just so you know, it is not a "Beta" when the program replaces the only official way to download STO and other PWE games.

Arc is far from Beta despite what Cryptic/PWE excuses they come out with...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

This discussion has been closed.