What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Both are coming to the Arc client and website. Logging into Arc will allow you to see the current status of the servers as well as the downtime, and any other useful maintenance updates.

I'm working on a roadmap at the moment, that will give you guys an idea of what you can expect to see in the near future with Arc.

The part in green is quite a problem, currently, since the new website doesn't remember me logged in. I've made it a habit to first visit the old website that automatically logs me in so that I don't have to fill in my username and password time and again.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have a new concern, and pose this question to someone at cryptic or pwe. Some of the additions and things to come that where mentioned, that haven't been specifically identified yet, ...will changing over to an ARC account be one of them like we had to do when PWE took over before? That was a tedious process then too! I felt like I was going to get a cow's ear tag before I was finished lol.

The reason this concerns me is obvious, before in order to regain my cryptic account to play again I had to change names and accounts, to keep the one I had - follow the instructions, dont forget to pick up your prize have a nice day, NEXT!! Me: :eek: "...why?" lol

Jokes aside, I really would like to know.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    catstarsto wrote: »
    I have a new concern, and pose this question to someone at cryptic or pwe. Some of the additions and things to come that where mentioned, that haven't been specifically identified yet, ...will changing over to an ARC account be one of them like we had to do when PWE took over before? That was a tedious process then too! I felt like I was going to get a cow's ear tag before I was finished lol.

The reason this concerns me is obvious, before in order to regain my cryptic account to play again I had to change names and accounts, to keep the one I had - follow the instructions, dont forget to pick up your prize have a nice day, NEXT!! Me: :eek: "...why?" lol

Jokes aside, I really would like to know.

Uh no? PWE is the owner of the ARC platform and the ones developing it. Why would you have to make a new account for the same company? ;)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    jarekcyphusjarekcyphus Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Here's my feedback, short and simple: If ever I am forced into choosing the ARC client over that of the STO launcher, that is the last day I sign into anything PWE-related. I didn't buy into the "sky-is-falling ARC is spyware" drivel until a random scan by Malwarebytes actually THOUGHT that ARC was Malware.

I think you guys need to roll back the books a bit, take ARC down, and re-think your approach with this client. A lot.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Uh no? PWE is the owner of the ARC platform and the ones developing it. Why would you have to make a new account for the same company? ;)

Thats what i asked when i had to redo my account before, since pwe owned cryptic, why change it then? I thought it was a fair question, since more changes are being made with ARC then when PWE itself first took command.
  • Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Arcgames isn't ready for feedback; it isn't even fully-functional, as far as STO is concerned. I can't even transfer characters to Tribble yet.

Frankly, Arcgames.com is a useless website designed to force me to at least notice the existence of games I don't care about. I'm here for STO, not for all of PWE's stupid games. PWE's website is a significant downgrade from the functionality and Trekiness of Cryptic's website, and I sincerely hope we will have the option to choose the one we wish to use.

In short, Cryptic's website wasn't broken (in fact, it was superb); why did someone see the need to 'fix' it?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just did some checking into Malwarebytes. Don't know that I'd put that much credence into its detecting "malware" in Arc - it apparently also flagged the files for Windows 8.1.2, and one guy's own homebrewed VB files, among many many others. The official forums have repeatedly recommended adding false-positive results to the Ignore file.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Okay, seriously- how much Zen for a #$%$^%& Forum Ignore List? I know PWE is all about the Benjamins, so stop jerking me around with your P.T. Barnum "funnel them into our other games" website makeover and tell me how much I have to pay for something that's actually more use than teats on a bull already.
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I just downloaded the latest ARC today and installed it.

• Why in the world does it need elevated privileges? That's a HUGE NO NO!!!
    • When downloading the game client, it constantly stops and I have to kill it and restart it.
    • After I finally log in and get the client running, the screen goes black (where I would expect to see a list of my toons) and the only thing I see is the STO mouse.... and then after a while, it just crashes.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After poking around a bit, it looks like Arc provides quite a bit of new functionality. I don't need any of that functionality, since I'm only interested in playing STO. It's kind of dark gray and ugly. But there are other games available through Arc that I have no interest in. On the other hand, Arc adds an extra layer of activating STO, increasing the launch time, while adding a pointless process to the background.

Yes, well. Hmm. All in all, it looks like a detriment to my game play with no positives to compensate. I don't like it.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cannot logon to the site without allowing scripts to run. Login buttons just refer back to the same login page. Popup login box doesn't appear just the embedded one.

If you have adblock then you can disable the redirect, just go to filter preferences and add filter "global_redirect.js". This will stop redirect and allow the sto.perfectworld.com page to load, once you're logged in it should remember you.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,409 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    If you have adblock then you can disable the redirect, just go to filter preferences and add filter "global_redirect.js". This will stop redirect and allow the sto.perfectworld.com page to load, once you're logged in it should remember you.
    I still like my solution - I bookmarked the forums in my browser. One click, and here I am! :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    tonybudztonybudz Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It's nicer that it's running on the taskbar now and I can get into the Forum area easier, the only thing I would like to see is that it logs me into STOL so I don't have to log in?
  • Options
    sparkiesoftsparkiesoft Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 47
    edited March 2014
    As promised, here is the roadmap of what's coming to Arc. Not everything is listed since we don't have solid dates for those, but expect to see more in the near future.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/arc-news/detail/3037713-the-future-of-arc
  • Options
    varnoukhvarnoukh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Having read through both player and dev responses, this is one piece of software I will never install on my computer. And it doesn't seem like there's been any guarantee that being able to play STO without arc will always be possible - just the usual "there's no current plans" to force it.

Between this and my main character being bugged for almost a year I haven't been able to conjure up the interest to play.
  • Options
    mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    varnoukh wrote: »
    Having read through both player and dev responses, this is one piece of software I will never install on my computer. And it doesn't seem like there's been any guarantee that being able to play STO without arc will always be possible - just the usual "there's no current plans" to force it.

Between this and my main character being bugged for almost a year I haven't been able to conjure up the interest to play.

No business would ever guarantee such a thing; it would be wholly irresponsible.

I myself have been running ARC for some time now, without incident. I get some of the concerns re: system resources, but most of the negative reaction seems way over the top to me.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As promised, here is the roadmap of what's coming to Arc. Not everything is listed since we don't have solid dates for those, but expect to see more in the near future.

Still no "Integrated Game Launcher Only" version (I could care less about Twitch TV, and do not use and have zero desire to be 'integrated' with social media site like twitter, etc. Also, if I decide to chat, I'll do so IN THE GAME I'M PLAYING as the in game chat systems have worked fine.

While I understand it's desirable to unify the patching and launching of PWE games to one universal launcher I don't need extra bloatware with features I have no interest in, and will NEVER use..
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Still no "Integrated Game Launcher Only" version (I could care less about Twitch TV, and do not use and have zero desire to be 'integrated' with social media site like twitter, etc. Also, if I decide to chat, I'll do so IN THE GAME I'M PLAYING as the in game chat systems have worked fine.

While I understand it's desirable to unify the patching and launching of PWE games to one universal launcher I don't need extra bloatware with features I have no interest in, and will NEVER use..

I agree with this and wish I could have a stripped down version of ARC (minus the browser and added elements but keeper the unified patcher which, IMHO, is better than Cryptic's in terms of functioning as a patcher and in terms of avoiding account hacking if they get a built in authenticator) although I think the negative reactions here are more than a little extreme.

By the by, Blizzard has announced plans to do its own ARC-like launcher.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Thanks for posting this, though I have to say I only scanned it, because none of it really interests me as features I want in a game.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Interesting read. Don't want any of it. Don't force it on to us. I don't need your all in one whatever pile. I play one game, STO! I play this game because of Star Trek. Not because of you. I don't care for social integration for sites like Facebook. I don't use social media. I find it worthless and a waste of time. Twitch, who uses that? Improved overlay? I don't need your spamware resource hog slapping me in the face while I'm playing the game.

ESO is just around the corner. Think about it.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2014

ESO is just around the corner. Think about it.

ESO is garbage and not worth 15 a month
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I think it's time to hang it up. You're never going to convince the holier-than-thous to accept Arc. The way I see it, these people will run from every game that has an integrated Launcher until there are no other game left except for maybe a handful of lame ones.
  • Options
    wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No business would ever guarantee such a thing; it would be wholly irresponsible.

I myself have been running ARC for some time now, without incident. I get some of the concerns re: system resources, but most of the negative reaction seems way over the top to me.

oh no doubt it is way over the top its the same TRIBBLE form the fear mongers that attacked steam when it came out i hope they do force it we both know you can cry all you want but until another star trek mmo comes along you will take it and like it and sit down and be good little cadets
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • Options
    sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is for several of the complainers.

For those who say it contains some form of malware. I have two anti-malware programs, AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy, and I don't get any "malware detected" reaction from either.

For those who say it's resource-wasting. If it's having THAT big of a negative effect on your computer's gaming performance, it's time to get a better computer. The computer I use is a box stock, no modifications Windows 8, and major lag issues are too few and too far between for me to feel like it's a serious issue.

For those who say it's sending info to China, where PWE originated. Give proof or shut up.
  • Options
    fadmbambamfadmbambam Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Interesting read. Don't want any of it. Don't force it on to us. I don't need your all in one whatever pile. I play one game, STO! I play this game because of Star Trek. Not because of you. I don't care for social integration for sites like Facebook. I don't use social media. I find it worthless and a waste of time. Twitch, who uses that? Improved overlay? I don't need your spamware resource hog slapping me in the face while I'm playing the game.

Exactly like many of us feel!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    sci321 wrote: »
    This is for several of the complainers.

For those who say it contains some form of malware. I have two anti-malware programs, AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy, and I don't get any "malware detected" reaction from either.

For those who say it's resource-wasting. If it's having THAT big of a negative effect on your computer's gaming performance, it's time to get a better computer. The computer I use is a box stock, no modifications Windows 8, and major lag issues are too few and too far between for me to feel like it's a serious issue.

For those who say it's sending info to China, where PWE originated. Give proof or shut up.

Below is an entry I found telling that it does have access to your files! plus the fact that it WILL be running in the background.

# 1031
    02-11-2014, 02:06 PM
    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kazapsky View Post
    I couldn't care less what country it came from. If a program insists on running long after I have no further use for it, sucks down several times the memory it has any business doing, refuses to tell me what it's actually doing with any of those resources, attempts to supplant/takeover my native web browser, and has an EULA that effectively gives it access to every single byte of data on my hard drive, it's spyware. End of discussion.
    Hey!

So, I'm going through the EULA myself, and I think this is the part that may have you concerned, but let me know if I'm off base.

"12. Data Collected To Prevent Cheating And Unauthorized Software
    12.1 You understand and agree that when user our Service and/or run our Game software, this can and may involve software functions designed to detect cheating or unauthorized and malicious programs. In this context, we may access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store screenshots of game play, information relating to hardware capacity, modifications related to our Game software, signatures, profiles or names of known unauthorized or malicious third party programs, files or processes that enable or facilitate cheating, unfair advantage or hacking of the Games or Service. If unauthorized or malicious programs are detected, the Game software may also communicate to us the users account and User ID and information about the unauthorized or malicious program or its use."

To clear this up, this is set forth to ensure we cover all ends on our side. The only thing it will be doing is making sure no cheat software is being ran, which is fairly standard for most launchers/games. Other than that, if you want us to collect system information you have to opt-in, otherwise we can't.

Now you may be asking, well then why does Arc need to run after I launch? In particular, it's because it's used to detect cheat software, something it can't do when it's off. As I said in a previous post though, this may change. Nothing is set in stone atm, which is why we still carry the Beta tag. There's been a lot of talk on ways to improve this feature and to allow users to close Arc after launching. I can't make any promises or give any specifics, as I don't have them, but we are well aware of players' concern regarding this issue.

I hope this helps clear the air, and if not, let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer your questions.

Now in this next entry, they admit they can take screens of your game and have access to your account password! "Well, now you know why they will never ask for it!" ^^;

# 1035
    02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post
    There is no option in Arc to opt in or out of sharing system information. The only time I saw it was the window for finalizing the instillation and the box was checked by default for sharing data. For someone not paying attention and just clicking the finish button, they will be automatically opted in for sharing data and there is no way to reverse that without uninstalling and reinstalling Arc and unchecking the box in the final install window. I looked all over the settings in Arc itself and could not find the option anywhere.
    For now that is how it is, but we are looking into a way to get it integrated into the platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
    Question: does this mean you also record all our system processes for your review? Does this include Window Services?

Really how can you know what software we are running cheat or otherwise if you don't.

Also what is classified as cheat software? I use calc.exe and Excel.exe to help to plan and co-ordinate my fleet holdings. is that kind of maximizing prohibited. I use a dps parcer to Figure out how to maximize my builds. Is the fact that any of those process are running on my system being sent to you. These improve my strategizing.

What if I have a keyboard where the driver software includes macros for faster response into windows. Even though it has no code injected into your game does it count as a cheat since people would appear to have faster then normal response?

Maybe I don't want you to know what software I'm using. In my mind it is none of your business to know what software I'm running.

Can you please show us an example of the information on the software you collect?
    It will only look for malicious software, so things like calc.exe and excel.exe will not put up any red flags. The same can be said for keyboard/mouse drivers, etc. As for what it monitors and looks for, it's all in the EULA, part 12.1. Essentially, screenshots of gameplay, user ID/password if said player has been flagged running file processes to enable hacking/cheating, etc. Most of it's pretty straight forward and what you'd expect from any online gaming service. Think of it as a built in Game-Guard, except not Game-Guard. If you've played any online game in the past with a anti-cheat software, it functions basically the same way. (Note: I just used Game-Guard as an example)

Hope that helps.

The thread submission numbers are on each, so check them yourselves!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    oh no doubt it is way over the top its the same TRIBBLE form the fear mongers that attacked steam when it came out i hope they do force it we both know you can cry all you want but until another star trek mmo comes along you will take it and like it and sit down and be good little cadets

Not really, that money i always hold back for STO thrift spending, was burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought a sub to Star Wars TOR and a ton of cartel coins. They didnt trouble me with ARC, or care what I used to launch their game...its like they enjoy my business or something. :P

"Come in Cat, put up your paws and have nice cold glass of milk." :3

But seriously, if you cant offer something your customers want, they will go somewhere that gives them what they want. I know STO rocks and is still my favorite mmo, thats why i keep coming back to see if you guys changed your minds and restored it back to the way we enjoyed it. Think about what a number of us have been saying...we dont care what is convenient for guy collecting the money, when we come into your shop, WE want the convenience, OUR comfort and satisfaction is our priority.

ARC in action..
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    EDIT: Removed because I'm an idiot.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Snip

That is to me borderline harassment and should be removed from this thread.
    signwidrona.png
This discussion has been closed.