test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mysterious Twitter posts...

Comments

• kazamiyukarinkazamiyukarin Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, he said that he would return "soon." So I think that he may be back.
    But the event basically went like this: He hid and gave a clue too vague to actually find him, he sent Bran a message with more information to relay to us, and then we got a 5 minute warning.

To be fair though, after the first few times he shaped up a bit and we were able to find him more often than not.
    Call me Yuka~
    ~Vice Admiral Saskia - U.S.S. Muenzuka (Dyson Science Destroyer)~
    ~Lieutenant General Kalinka - I.K.S. Kazami (Negh'Var Heavy Battlecruiser)~
    ~Vice Admiral Lorel - R.R.W. Aureus Aquila (Mirror Mogai Heavy Warbird)~
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stararmy wrote: »
    Well, that was kind of a bust, considering all the buildup and effort that went into it. It ended up being a simple-hide-and-seek with overly vague instructions and an impatient target, with low-value prizes. Essentially, I don't think it was worthwhile to the participants, and it really disappointed me.

Wasted about an hour and a half yesterday and got nothing out of it. I know not everyone can win, but seriously!? All the hype build up for this? I feel like my time was wasted. Not the time spent looking for the fugitive (because we already knew it was just a TRIBBLE-poor promotional event by the time it started), but the time spent getting hyped for it and trying to complete the puzzles and what-not.

Let this be a note for all pod-casts or whatever: If you want to have a little promotion and give away MEH prizes via a crappy hide-and-seek game, advertize it as such. FROM THE BIGINNING! Don't have us wandering around in the dark expecting something actually good.
    hypl wrote: »
    If this is legit, you can expect it to totally NOT be what you think it is. :P
    'misdirection'.

These two say it all.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is that all it was? Colour me not surprised..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Is that all it was? Colour me not surprised..

your avater says it all lol:D
  • cidevantcidevant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've only been half paying attention, but I'm surprised it ended so quickly.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I had fun speculating. Didn't log in for the actual event, partly because I already have everything except the LoR starter pack from previous giveaways.
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, that was very underwelming. I was very exited about this, but being a few hours, most of which is GMT night, just for a few costumes, and I agree, if this is going to be a marketing competition, then I want to be told that from the beginning.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Meh stupid lame and by a boring podcast. typical stupid sto TRIBBLE. hype something deny it then a huge boring lame let down. stop this TRIBBLE it is stupid. I was half expecting it to be some lame stupid foundry mission.
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I appreciate the effort around this whole thing, and it's fun speculating (i dont even need a carrot ;) ). I dont care so much about the semi-official roleplaying viral marketing nature of this event. In this way it's mysterious and fun. But i have to say, when all is said and done, i would really appreciate it, if the creator(s) (and Insider ;) ) would come forward.

On the topic of expectations: We are all self-responsible for them. Maybe a bit of Vulcan spirit and logic is a good advise for everyone to get through this.

A critique i have about the hunt itself: 5 minutes to get him was really short. The loadscreens took time, the travel took time, and the search itself (+ in some cases multiple instances to search). If there is a next time, i would advise to buff the timelimit a little. Or is he soo scared?! :P
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    An emergency broadcast to all the people that were hyped by this thread:

>>SPECIAL TRANSMISSION<<

:D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So what happened with this guy, did he ever show?
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So who was the fugitive, anyway? He said he was from Facility 4028; did he ever specifically state who he was meant to be?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited February 2014
    So who was the fugitive, anyway? He said he was from Facility 4028; did he ever specifically state who he was meant to be?

Nope. He did not.
    Call me Yuka~
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i have mixed feelings about this event , obviously this was prearranged between PWE sto community and STOKED radio/Jupiter force .with the recorded Bran updates on the locations . so Bran played us by saying he had no idea what this was about .

seemed like a LAME promotion method to increase listeners to STOKED RADIO IMO.

while the idea behind this was interesting , the whole implementation was meh .

this would have been better if this was a introduction for a new foundry spotlight mission .

Mav tries his best to produce the podcast ,since the start of the STOKED RADIO BRAND the technical issues and irregularity of the shows DL and YT content for other than live format ( trekradio) makes it very difficult to follow podcast . and has made them a low priority in my listening lists . though its getting better .
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Told ya it was a troll..
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • fugitive4028fugitive4028 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    /ooc [out of character]

There was no collusion between that podcast and Cryptic when the concept of the STO Fugitive was conceived. I had witnessed a number of in-game events and identified multiple strands of the STO community that were involved and yet separate.

The purpose of the STO Fugitive as a character was to create a mysterious villian that could be used to draw the interest of each of those separate strands of the STO community together in various different ways.

The initial few days of the campaign were designed to open up interest and draw out the areas of the game / lore from which the playerbase believed the character could be coming from. Using that information I crafted an escalating series of contact methods - twitter, STO Forums, Reddit. Each method provided access to a different part of the community.

The concept for the character provided an explanation for how an in-game character could somehow start to penertrate the real world in that way. The proposals for the identity of the character that came from the playerbase provided me with the material from which to design the series of tests / challenges. The attitude of the character was purposefully arrogant, condescending and flawed to achieve the effect of having someone / something that was clearly superior but still anchored by something frail, something broken. Blaming the community for his plight and then identifying Branflakes as the voice, as the head of that community is what allowed for the campaign to escalate to bring more of the community together.

The community united in so many ways to solve the puzzles, to speculate as to the true identity of the person behind the STO Fugitive and more importantly to anticipate what fun might be ahead for them with the character. The build up to the hunt served the purpose of providing a platform from which the character could be established and the community could be engaged. That was escalated when I sent audio taunts to as many of the podcasts as I could find details for and I waited to see who took the bait.

The hunt would have gone ahead even if nobody had latched on to it. Branflakes chose to engage and he then used the STOked podcast to faciliate his bounties because when I picked the date of the hunt to coincide with the end of the 4th anniversary week it happened to fall on the day of their live taping session. There were some flourishes added to the information I provided in my clues such as the audio from Brandon and based on the numbers I witnessed participating in the hunt my ultimate goal was achieved.

The character was established, there was over a month of community "collusion" to solve the puzzles, to delve into the mystery of this antagonist and to engage in the end of his first chapter by hunting him down in the game. I have seen the comments about the whole campaign being nothing more than an effort to troll and that could not be further from the truth but despite this explanation, I am sure that certain negative portions of the STO community will hold fast to that misconception.

There are more chapters in this story being planned which will progress the backstory of the character and engage the community in as many new ways as are possible. The only assurance that I can provide on that front is one where I will always being trying to draw more and more aspects of the STO community into the fun by providing something that can be "worked on" together. Where possible I will pull that interest to in-game events and I will use any and all communication methods possible to achieve that. From the beginning I had no intention of revealing my actual identity and only of opening up the character over time. That is still how I intend to proceed. It's not important who I am, what I am or what could be discerned by uncovering my identity. Enjoy the campaign and any future chapters or choose to ignore it all and write it off as nothing more than trolling. Either way I thank you for your interest up to this point and also for any future interest when the next chapter begins.

Yours sincerely,
    xxxx "STO Fugitive" xxxxxxx
    [redacted]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dude... you failed... Admit it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited February 2014
    [/ooc]

Failed? Quite the contrary actually. 32,000+ views on this thread, 200+ followers on Twitter, hundreds of Reddit hits across multiple threads, teams being assembled to crack the puzzles and nearly three hundred players engaged in the fugitive hunt last weekend.

Feel free to criticise as you see fit but the proof that the campaign achieved more than was initially intended is quite evident. There is clearly room for improvement but anything that brings so many players together is a positive thing for the STO community.

If you don't share that opinion then feel free to return to the perpetual grinding and repetition of content that you've already done a hundred times.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [/ooc]

Failed? Quite the contrary actually. 32,000+ views on this thread, 200+ followers on Twitter, hundreds of Reddit hits across multiple threads, teams being assembled to crack the puzzles and nearly three hundred players engaged in the fugitive hunt last weekend.

Feel free to criticise as you see fit but the proof that the campaign achieved more than was initially intended is quite evident. There is clearly room for improvement but anything that brings so many players together is a positive thing for the STO community.

If you don't share that opinion then feel free to return to the perpetual grinding and repetition of content that you've already done a hundred times.

Me, I just think the beginning (and end) of the hunt should have been more obvious. By the time I realized it had begun, it was already over.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Interesting read, Personally I think he succeeded, at least in stirring something within the community, and while i'm not totally sold on its implimentation I think theres a seed of something here

Its kind of like the way some bands do secret gigs
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    STOFugative.....

It's BS to say you weren't involved in Branflake's "bounties" because the thread about it specifically states that players who contact YOU would recieve a special code to mail to members of Jupiter force as proof of "capture" to acquire bounty "rewards."

The "hunt" could have happened, as you said... but don't you dare stand here and LIE about there being no collusion between you, Jupiter Force, and BranFlakes for this event....

You could have handed out prizes on your own without bringing in "code words" for Jupiter Force to get codes for C-store stuff.

>.>
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
    edited February 2014
    [/ooc]

So this was just an attempt for you to gain popularity? If that was your intention, you made it my man. Can you send me some codes I was at work so I couldn't chase you. :D
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nice to see people doing stuff and starting community events without Cryptic.

Nice to know there are players who don't need handouts from the man, and can get things rolling without PWE/Cryptic support

Nice to know that there are people whop say, I'm gonna take a break from the grind and start something up and make things interesting

it's nice to know that there are people who don't need Cryptic to tell them how to play the game.

It's nice to know the there are people who don't need to whine on the forums to Cryptic about adding fun stuff, and just say TRIBBLE you i don't need you guys for everything.
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited February 2014
    I think that in regards to unity, you certainly have succeeded. However, one big problem your whole thing has had (this is something to think about for future events and puzzles) is poor execution. Some of the instructions that you have given us are so vague that we didn't know what you want us to do or where to go. I'm going to say this again. A puzzle should be hard because ithe puzzle itself is difficult, not because the instructions are unclear.
    Call me Yuka~
    edited February 2014
    [/ooc]
    That's quite an attitude you have there Sunseahl but I'll explain things further nonetheless.

The entire concept of the STO Fugitive, the backstory, the idea of using ARG style puzzles, graduating from text to audio to video messages (never quite figured out the video bit) and the idea of the initial "finale" being a hunt had absolutely nothing to do with any of the parties you mentioned. It was all my doing.

It was me that created all of the accounts needed and accessed none of them from my direct IP. In some cases I was connecting to them via two or three different proxies or VPNs. That left plenty of fake trails and false positives for anyone curious enough to "hunt" on that level to play with.

When the bounty issue came up at the last minute on the evening before the hunt I had already prepared a series of clues and would have simply been released via twitter and an in game chat channel. There was some communication about how to confirm a capture because otherwise the bounties could be easily misappropriated.

They tried to elevate a simple hunt into something more worthwhile for the community. The mistake I made was that the proposal for me to provide code words failed as the account used for the Fugutive was not able to send PMs as it is a free to play account. They adjusted on the fly and ran some alternative confirmation process themselves. As I understand it, the people who were successful got their prizes and there were no issues on that side of things.

kantazo1 - if popularity was my interest in doing this campaign for the community then I would be trying to get on every podcast and doing interviews and shouting from the rooftops about who I am and what I was able to accomplish. I provided those numbers to demostrate the appetite within the STO community for someting "interesting" and done in a different manner than what had been tried previously. I find it quite sad to see the amount of negativity thrown at a player for trying to bring something new to proceedings.

kazamiyukarin - feedback noted and if I choose to continue with this project I will certainly take your points onboard and provide a more polished experience.
    edited February 2014
    kantazo1 - if popularity was my interest in doing this campaign for the community then I would be trying to get on every podcast and doing interviews and shouting from the rooftops about who I am and what I was able to accomplish. I provided those numbers to demostrate the appetite within the STO community for someting "interesting" and done in a different manner than what had been tried previously. I find it quite sad to see the amount of negativity thrown at a player for trying to bring something new to proceedings.

In first place I was not being negative towards you, I wanted just to clarify if this was an attempt to grab attention on what you are promoting, a publicity stun or just like you put an attempt to bring something new and fresh to the game.

I liked what you did and I think we need more stuff like that in the proper allotted time, yesterday event (nothing to do with you) was done during work hours for many people, I don't like that, if you are going to run that type of event maybe make 2 events 1 for Europe and another for America times.

I think that your event like many have pointed out lack a little bit of difficulty based on the clues you left behind, I love the clues in the message and all the intrigue at the beginning, maybe you could have cultivated more that area.

I think you deserve praises instead of so much negativity.
  • denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really enjoyed the event. It was fun to be part of a group popping in and out of zones as the clues were revealed. I got to revisit some underused zones, and it was thrilling to check every corner of obscure maps on the off-chance that the fugitive was there before he gave us more clues.

I know I'm looking forward to more similar events. These sort of hunts encourage exploration, and I ended up finding some odd things myself. Apparently farmer accounts stand by lightposts out on the edges of the Andorian wilderness, logging in and out again. Who knew?
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    [/ooc]
    That's quite an attitude you have there Sunseahl but I'll explain things further nonetheless.

The entire concept of the STO Fugitive, the backstory, the idea of using ARG style puzzles, graduating from text to audio to video messages (never quite figured out the video bit) and the idea of the initial "finale" being a hunt had absolutely nothing to do with any of the parties you mentioned. It was all my doing.

It was me that created all of the accounts needed and accessed none of them from my direct IP. In some cases I was connecting to them via two or three different proxies or VPNs. That left plenty of fake trails and false positives for anyone curious enough to "hunt" on that level to play with.

When the bounty issue came up at the last minute on the evening before the hunt I had already prepared a series of clues and would have simply been released via twitter and an in game chat channel. There was some communication about how to confirm a capture because otherwise the bounties could be easily misappropriated.

They tried to elevate a simple hunt into something more worthwhile for the community. The mistake I made was that the proposal for me to provide code words failed as the account used for the Fugutive was not able to send PMs as it is a free to play account. They adjusted on the fly and ran some alternative confirmation process themselves. As I understand it, the people who were successful got their prizes and there were no issues on that side of things.

I don't mean to have an attitude, quite the contrary, What you did here is in many respects pure genius. My issues is that, even at the last second.... Your F2p status meant that the account had to collaborate to get any sort of prize or notice to people who participated in looking for you.

This was one of the details you failed to account for. Sure I and others were interested and still are, But the fact that remains that the whole mess felt like one big STOked/Cryptic backed mini-event in the end. one that dragged on for months of buildup and in the end... sputtered out in a grand finale that felt like it lasted 2 seconds....

That needs to be accounted for next time. The actual "hunt," if any further, definitely needs to last longer in my and many others opinions. Some people simply weren't able to be online when you were about. That kind of detail makes some people feel like any participation they invested was worthless.

"Prizes" as it stands don't really need to exist for this. Sure what Bran and STOked did was to elevate the hunt.... But even with that, as you can see from just a few pages back people were rather and totally just "This was a bad promotion? Lol! why did I bother?"
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes. Very disappointing. How can you tell me this was not a STOKED promo, I don't know. Also, how could you have got C-Store prizes, without PWE/Cryptic involvement. Nxt time you do something like this, tell us from the beginning so we don't waste our time on it. If anything, my opinion of STOKED has gone down, and it wasn't very high, after becoming a podcast.

Ah yes, also, next time DO IT WHEN GMT ISN'T ASLEEP!!! You excluded almost all of GMT for it. I got up, early in the morning, and I find that the entire hunt was done at nightime! And it wasn't like I was sleeping at an odd time, it was normal GMT sleeping time!
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes. Very disappointing. How can you tell me this was not a STOKED promo, I don't know. Also, how could you have got C-Store prizes, without PWE/Cryptic involvement. Nxt time you do something like this, tell us from the beginning so we don't waste our time on it. If anything, my opinion of STOKED has gone down, and it wasn't very high, after becoming a podcast.

Indeed this. I've never really liked podcasts to begin with, just not my thing, but this really lowered my opinion of them (especially STOKED).
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!