test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Sixth day (Sunday) of the game launcher crash-to-desktop super-bug, many players have no access to the Star Trek Online game, and it all started with the beginning of Season 8 (Tuesday). Player reports were made about this problem on Tribble (the test-server) for a month prior to launching it on Holodeck; together, that's about 5 weeks to troubleshoot this problem. Players have contributed information on the forum and offered to help, if only you'd give us some direction as to what information you need from us. If this repair is truly a "top priority" then why are you working on other bugs that aren't seriously effecting game play? I'm mean, we appreciate the skirt fix on Trills and Caitians and other tidbits but, seriously, couldn't that wait until the PLAYER LOCK-OUT BUG is solved? And people working on better images of laser-toting dinosaurs (give me a break) are not working on the super-bug!

Serious question. Why did you launch Season 8, knowing many players would get locked out again? This is my third lock-out of 48 hours or longer in 2013 (season 7/the 107/season 8). I'm a paying customer and I'm feeling unwelcome (lifetime subscriber with lots of Zen and Cryptic Point purchases) and I'm certain that I'm not alone in that feeling. If the tables were reversed, would you expect this kind of customer service from a vendor? And PWE administrators, as time windows for rewards (like the master key sale) roll by, would it hurt you to give us an extension or even a little encouragement that you will have a special sale replay, once the bug is fixed? Brandon has done what he can to keep us in the loop but he's not in charge of marketing, he can only pass on the news.

In the meantime, our missions languish, our opportunities for rewards expire, and our fleets and friends have no idea what's happened to us! PWE, we need an urgent push to fix these problems! And a little communication about opportunities lost, after a week of lock-out, would instill some feeling of appreciation. (We've lost opportunities for Lobi, doff, master key sale, missions with Worf and others, fleet activity, etc.)

Like I said earlier, this is my THIRD LOCK-OUT of 2013. Not feeling appreciated here.
  • Options
    rabiddsaintrabiddsaint Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dartragge1 wrote: »
    PRIME UNIVERSE...Tritanium hulls

MIRROR UNIVERSE...Tritanium hulls with Yellow tribals and markings

LEPER UNIVERSE...Where ships grow weird fungus on their hull, and th nacceles fall off...

Species:
    Federation - Mixed

KDF - Mixed

Lepers - Vidiians only

Recent activity: Leper Fleet Submission - Crash on load ......... Ticket # 25316319
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dear Fellow Leper Fleet Members..

This is your Admiral,

I have today infiltrated the other side. Connected my monitor, keyboard and mouse to the HP ProBook 6540b and disguised myself as a mere normal player. I visited the Dyson Sphere, shot a few ships alas the video is just too much for the laptop.. Too jerky to play.
    Spoke with a fleet member (one of the normal players, non-infected). I took him into secrecy and told of our demise. His reply was 'really? I haven't had any problems' ..
    I must conclude that the thoughts behind the upgrade were if the majority are in, its a successful upgrade.

We are of the minority, however we are slowly building our ranks and we will soon over take this so called normal player universe and make it our own.

My only wish is that we could have a should from the depths of a cubicle where a lone coder was working on our problem, just a word, or a small scentence maybe to give us hope of a cure for our lingering disease.

I'd even be happy with the words 'Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies' ..

Sincerely,

Admiral Rab

Hmm i may post a thread of lepers in the general discussion, both to raise awareness and so we can talk unbridled.

im thinking setting real world missions to keep us occupied
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    kyledewittkyledewitt Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Could you shut up? we all know this is not gonna be solved any faster by complaining about how long they have had. .they probably didnt know about the crash untill S8 launch for some stupid reason. just be paitent. and if you are paying money to cryptic? then stop that untill they fix the game. plain and simple. dont keep whineing about how long its takeing to fix a bug. this has happened before.. they fixed it. they always will and do.

Yeah but they don't extend the deadlines for stuff we miss in the process because of their TRIBBLE up. They didn't extend the deadline for the Crystalline event and I barely got it with only a few hours to spare. This time, they'll push the "fix" if they get on the 21st or later which is the deadline for the Solanae tribble. Which they won't extend either.

Also, if they didn't know about the crash before the Season 8 launch, then they might as well shut down the Tribble server. It was reported there, and ignored.
  • Options
    txspartantxspartan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *suddenly wonders* Is it the Voth or the Vidiians they unleashed in Season 8? Because Vidiians would make sense... we've all got... the digiPhage!
    Grand Ayatollah of the Order of Persistence, First Chairman of the Persistent Defence Commission
    Winner of two Second annual (Last 500) and three Third annual (Last 1000) Most Amusing Posts Best Entrance Awards
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kyledewitt wrote: »
    Yeah but they don't extend the deadlines for stuff we miss in the process because of their TRIBBLE up. They didn't extend the deadline for the Crystalline event and I barely got it with only a few hours to spare. This time, they'll push the "fix" if they get on the 21st or later which is the deadline for the Solanae tribble. Which they won't extend either.

Also, if they didn't know about the crash before the Season 8 launch, then they might as well shut down the Tribble server. It was reported there, and ignored.

Well said, Kyle.
  • Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We're not in the minority. This launcher crash problem is affecting more than a few players as witnessed by the sheer size of this topic and it's starting to affect gamers of other Cryptic/PWE games.

Cryptic definitely has a major problem on its hands if it does not correct this problem.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=13533241&posted=1#post13533241

the thread is up and running, and i have a mission you might find intaresting
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013

plenty of bugs are reported on tribble. it isnt easy to take a look and fix them all. and whats so great about that tribble anyway? it justs gives a dyson mark every hour you pet it..a small amount of crit chance. and a small resistance to anti-proton. its not really worth anything in my honest opinion. and as i previously stated. the events currently going on go on untill December 5th. thats a couple weeks from now.
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • Options
    cdixon1967cdixon1967 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cmdrbenson wrote: »
    Don't Worry Kakeroo. it will get fixed
    . DO this though Check your Patch Trivia File and tell me what you see for Seasons.

Cause I have a feeling that it was written wrong and they put in Season 9 instead of 8
    I checked my files and this is what I found:

Trivia PatchProject StartrekClient
    Trivia PatchServer patchserver.crypticstudios.com
    Trivia PatchRedirectServer 208.95.184.20
    Trivia PatchPort 7255
    Trivia HttpServer akamai.nwhttppatch.crypticstudios.com
    Trivia HttpPort 80
    Trivia HttpPrefix Startrek
    Trivia PatchName ST.35.20131029a.19
    Trivia PatchBranch 35
    Trivia PatchSandbox ST.35.20131029a.0
    Trivia PatchRevision 22445
    Trivia PatchTime 1384388240
    Trivia PatchTimeReadable "2013-11-13 16:17:20"
    Trivia PatchIncrementalRevision 22278
    Trivia PatchIncrementalFrom 1383052866
    Trivia PatchIncrementalFromReadable "2013-10-29 05:21:06"
    Trivia PatchCmdLine "-sync -project StartrekClient -server patchserver.crypticstudios.com -port 7255 -name ST.35.20131029a.19"
    Trivia CoreBranchMapping -2
    Trivia PatchBranchName "Season 9"
    Trivia PatchExecutable "C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online.exe"
    Trivia PatchComplete Required
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited November 2013
    I will offer some advice on a full uninstall that many help - it must include a sweep of the registry files which don't get deleted under a normal Windows uninstall

1 - do a normal Windows uninstall

2 - go to your Windows search and type in 'regedit'

Once in there there will be several numbered point with the plus/expand button - open these untill you find the one listed cryptic - fully erase all those folders

3 - go into security section under control panel - do a ' fee up disk space' clean of all sections

4 - run a defrag in the same security section - once your hard drive has been defraged - shut the computer off for a min or two.

5 - restart the computer and either down load the game again through Steam or use PWE - but you will have to use ARC is you don't go with steam.

Try this and see - worse thing is a waste of you time - but you will get rid of some files hidden in the registry which could be corrupt.

Good luck
  • Options
    kyledewittkyledewitt Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    plenty of bugs are reported on tribble. it isnt easy to take a look and fix them all. and whats so great about that tribble anyway? it justs gives a dyson mark every hour you pet it..a small amount of crit chance. and a small resistance to anti-proton. its not really worth anything in my honest opinion. and as i previously stated. the events currently going on go on untill December 5th. thats a couple weeks from now.

Paitence, it will pay off eventually.

It is true that various bugs are reported in tribble, but there's a 11 page thread in the Tribble subforum about the issue that never saw any kind of Dev response. Again, if they aren't going to respond to something like that, but make minor changes that are reported in Tribble that are merely cosmetic, they might as well shut Tribble down. As in that case, it's nothing but a drain on resources.

Have you ever stopped to really think that I might actually want the tribble. My reasons for wanting it are irrelevant. It's the fact that if they don't fix their TRIBBLE-up before the 21st, I will lose the opportunity for reasons beyond my control.

As enterprise1701ax said this is the 3rd occurrence of this bug that's he's gotten. I've been fortunate to only experience it twice. After having this happen twice, thrice, or more times do you really think people shouldn't be upset and demand answers? This is nothing but negligence on their part.
  • Options
    mgmirkin426mgmirkin426 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Okay, so here's some information folks should be aware of:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13522831&postcount=14

"Now keep in mind that this is a 'Peer to Peer' support forum (Just read the Forum description) If you actually want someone from Cryptic/PWE to comment on your thread, then you should be posting it on the PWE Tech Support Forum... http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/"

Sucks, but there it is. Devs apparently don't actually check the STO tech support forums. It's almost strictly peer-to-peer? *Sigh*

My response:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13533101&postcount=15

My original post:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13519751&postcount=10

Gotta' stick up for the little guys.

Anyway, I've been proactive & gone over to their "Tech Support" forums, and after having no clue which forum to post in, due to the fact that PWE doesn't seem to think they need a forum specifically dedicated to game client "crashes," I posted a thread to direct them to this thread:

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=161321

If others wish to also post in that thread, so it's not just me, feel free. Keep it civil, of course, and on-topic (giving info about the circumstances of your crashes, system specs, error messages (if any), ticket #'s, log files, tracert's, etc.). And keep in mind, it's JUST for the "crash to desktop between Legacy of Romulus splash screen & Character Select/Creation" screen. So, if your issue is DIFFERENT from that, perhaps create a separate thread for any "other" issues not related to the crash to desktop during load.

Hope that helps, somehow...

Best,
    ~MG
  • Options
    stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So I went into sto's "printscreen" folder to see if I could find
    a screenshot I could use as wallpaper.
    You know, one that showed the ships' mini-map, trays, etc.,
    so that when the game crashed, the wallpaper would be there,
    and I could at least pretend I got in the game.

I even got the Mrs. to agree to walk around behind me,
    saying "pew,... pew, pew" to recreate my 5.1 surround sound.
    She even offered to kick my chair now and again, to represent hits
    on the aft shields!
    (I Love that Woman).

Unfortunately, I had recently cleaned up that folder, and didn't have any
    shots that included the UI. But oddly enough, I did find this one.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is true that various bugs are reported in tribble, but there's a 11 page thread in the Tribble subforum about the issue that never saw any kind of Dev response. Again, if they aren't going to respond to something like that, but make minor changes that are reported in Tribble that are merely cosmetic, they might as well shut Tribble down. As in that case, it's nothing but a drain on resources.

Have you ever stopped to really think that I might actually want the tribble. My reasons for wanting it are irrelevant. It's the fact that if they don't fix their TRIBBLE-up before the 21st, I will lose the opportunity for reasons beyond my control.

As enterprise1701ax said this is the 3rd occurrence of this bug that's he's gotten. I've been fortunate to only experience it twice. After having this happen twice, thrice, or more times do you really think people shouldn't be upset and demand answers? This is nothing but negligence on their part.
    I do see what you are saying. i admit if i was in your position i would probably be saying the same. from what ive seen here in the forums. there should be no reason why they havent fixed this bug yet.
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I will offer some advice on a full uninstall that many help - it must include a sweep of the registry files which don't get deleted under a normal Windows uninstall

Once in there there will be several numbered point with the plus/expand button - open these untill you find the one listed cryptic - fully erase all those folders

3 - go into security section under control panel - do a ' fee up disk space' clean of all sections

4 - run a defrag in the same security section - once your hard drive has been defraged - shut the computer off for a min or two.

5 - restart the computer and either down load the game again through Steam or use PWE - but you will have to use ARC is you don't go with steam.

Try this and see - worse thing is a waste of you time - but you will get rid of some files hidden in the registry which could be corrupt.

Good luck

I'd be wary of going in and deleting EVERYTHING marked "Cryptic" from the registry, especially if you have any *OTHER* GAMES BY CRYPTIC. Always be conservative with the registry (it's easy to TRIBBLE up). Just saying. Wouldn't want to bugger up any other Cryptic games you might also have installed. Yeah?
  • Options
    ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Cryptic has lots of meetings each monday. One thing they discuss, is how many players they had in game over the past week.

For more info watch this: Al Rivera on Stoked - Sat Nov 16 2013.

Does anybody know a changeling who could sneak in there tomorrow? Would be interesting. :P
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Okay, so here's some information folks should be aware of:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13522831&postcount=14

"Now keep in mind that this is a 'Peer to Peer' support forum (Just read the Forum description) If you actually want someone from Cryptic/PWE to comment on your thread, then you should be posting it on the PWE Tech Support Forum... http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/"

Sucks, but there it is. Devs apparently don't actually check the STO tech support forums. It's almost strictly peer-to-peer? *Sigh*

My response:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13533101&postcount=15

Gotta' stick up for the little guys.

Anyway, I've been proactive & gone over to their "Tech Support" forums, and after having no clue which forum to post in, due to the fact that PWE doesn't seem to think they need a forum specifically dedicated to game client "crashes," I posted a thread to direct them to this thread:

http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=161321

If others wish to also post in that thread, so it's not just me, feel free. Keep it civil, of course, and on-topic (giving info about the circumstances of your crashes, system specs, error messages (if any), ticket #'s, log files, tracert's, etc.). And keep in mind, it's JUST for the "crash to desktop between Legacy of Romulus splash screen & Character Select/Creation" screen. So, if your issue is DIFFERENT from that, perhaps create a separate thread for any "other" issues not related to the crash to desktop during load.

Hope that helps, somehow...

Best,
    ~MG

HA HA HA OOOOHH NOO, this is just too funney.

i tryed to post on your thread and guess what?

Look at my sig

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dartragge1 wrote: »
    PRIME UNIVERSE...Tritanium hulls

MIRROR UNIVERSE...Tritanium hulls with Yellow tribals and markings

LEPER UNIVERSE...Where ships grow weird fungus on their hull, and th nacceles fall off...

"Captains Log: A piece of our ship fell off today, and... nobody likes me!" ~MST3K: The Movie.

"Captain's Log: I've lost my toupee and girdle, and I can't leave my room!" ~MST3K: The Movie.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    hmm my sig pic isnt appering..... (edit) ahh good tis fixed
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'd be wary of going in and deleting EVERYTHING marked "Cryptic" from the registry, especially if you have any *OTHER* GAMES BY CRYPTIC. Always be conservative with the registry (it's easy to TRIBBLE up). Just saying. Wouldn't want to bugger up any other Cryptic games you might also have installed. Yeah?

While this is true you never know how screwed up the registry files are. I prefer to get rid of everything and start fresh. STO is my only cryptic game so I am not concerned with other games, however, if they are mmo sever based games that keep you account data on their serves it would not matter if you deleted everything except the fact that you would need to reinstall those other games as well.

Good point though and something that you should consider if you have several cryptic games. But as I said - crazy corrupt files can lurk in the registry and it is hard to pin them down.
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is hard to read a post properly before it is made....

That being said you are correct, however again, they knew they had a problem before they rolled it out to the holodeck.
    Sorry about that... We posted about the same time... Apparently, my "Temporal Ambassador" trait stroke again... ;)

I've heard something about that this issue should have found a fix on Redshirt ( also heard that this "fix" didn't help all victims, though...).
    Makes one wonder - was it an actual fix?
    What happened to it?
    Did it get lost in the process? Or did it prove not to be the real deal in the end? Or is it the reason that not all players are affected?

Back to the antimatter...

I heard about some people being able to get into the game somehow on one of their alts, while the main toon caused a crash.
    Besides me still wondering how they managed to change toons...

What ship did the crashing Captains use?
    What ship does the Char on top of your char list use?
    I know that the alt that is the first shown in my toon list uses the Obelisk Carrier.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    "Captains Log: A piece of our ship fell off today, and... nobody likes me!" ~MST3K: The Movie.

"Captain's Log: I've lost my toupee and girdle, and I can't leave my room!" ~MST3K: The Movie.

http://www.50-best.com/images/funny_nerd_memes/captains_log_meme.jpg Had to be done
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    What ship did the crashing Captains use?
    What ship does the Char on top of your char list use?
    I know that the alt that is the first shown in my toon list uses the Obelisk Carrier.

Fleet Excelsior-class, of course.
    Grand Ayatollah of the Order of Persistence, First Chairman of the Persistent Defence Commission
    Winner of two Second annual (Last 500) and three Third annual (Last 1000) Most Amusing Posts Best Entrance Awards
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Good luck

As someone just pointed out - doing this will remove all cryptic games - forcing you to reinstall them all if you have several - you can try to remove just the ones that pertain to STO but sometimes corrupt files from one company source can be affecting the others. I prefer a complete wipe and clear slate - but it is up to you. Of course if STO is you only cryptic game then this extra note is a non issue.
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    txspartan wrote: »
    Fleet Excelsior-class, of course.
    Well, this seems to bust my idea...
    Still, it would be interesting to see.

Besides, why is it so sure you use the fleet Excelsior? How could I know?
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    what's even more funny is that Cryptic devs tell you to post the bug on the forums and yet the devs never check the forums.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Besides, why is it so sure you use the fleet Excelsior? How could I know?

Nothing personal, I tell anyone who asks me: "Excelsior, of course." ;) Didn't mean to cause you any discomfort.
    kemcha wrote: »
    what's even more funny is that Cryptic devs tell you to post the bug on the forums and yet the devs never check the forums.
    Too bad we cannot simply copy/paste this forum into the other one.
This discussion has been closed.