test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd be wary of going in and deleting EVERYTHING marked "Cryptic" from the registry, especially if you have any *OTHER* GAMES BY CRYPTIC. Always be conservative with the registry (it's easy to TRIBBLE up). Just saying. Wouldn't want to bugger up any other Cryptic games you might also have installed. Yeah?

Totally Agree.
    Cryptic has already confirmed the problem is on their end.
    Some people have even re-formatted their hard drives.
    When, (or if), they come up with a fix, I wonder how many are not going to be able
    to get in because they've managed to TRIBBLE up their own perfectly good systems.
    Last time... Cryptic has already confirmed the problem is on their end.
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    txspartan wrote: »
    Nothing personal, I tell anyone who asks me: "Excelsior, of course." ;) Didn't mean to cause you any discomfort.

Too bad we cannot simply copy/paste this forum into the other one.
    No actual discomfort, just a little confusion. :)
    kemcha wrote: »
    what's even more funny is that Cryptic devs tell you to post the bug on the forums and yet the devs never check the forums.
    I think they'd need to hire a few people to check the forums for them, so they can stay on top of their bug hunting... ;)
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Totally Agree.
    When, (or if), they come up with a fix, I wonder how many are not going to be able
    to get in because they've managed to TRIBBLE up their own perfectly good systems.
    I think I read it several times - branflakes mentioned it in this thread and they even put it into the release notes.
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    spasticherospastichero Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just did a complete reinstall and still nothing. Crashes while character screen is loading (right after LoR screen).
  • Options
    bornbaddbornbadd Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Having the same issue , crashing 3/4 way through Black Cryptic screen
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Army of lepers gather, under the banner of Rabid overlooking the city of Cryptic. Down, there, down below the bluffs, the city stood open. Its guards gone for the weekend.

Rabid smiles and forms his army into three groups. Pointy, Blunty and everyone else.

The plan, Rabid says to his fellow commanders, was to lay siege to the gates. But since the gatekeepers have decided they don't work weekends, a new plan was to be devised.

The mediator, Branflakes tries in vain to convince Cryptic's oligarchs to resolve the problem immediately as the Fleet and Army of the Lepers were amassed and marching. They brush him off, saying that the finest developers were at it, but were sent home because they were a little tired. He shakes his head and finds himself a nice view of the battleground.

Rabid instructs his commanders to take the Pointy column to the left, Blunty to the right and everyone else just... whatever. They'd all meet at the main servers.

The charge begins. Down the hill the Lepers run. Some drop dead of sheer exhaustion, having never run before in their life. Others pause to take their asthma puffs. Some even stop to flirt with the odd girl that they come across. Still though, the majority press on and through the open gates. The city inhabitants are surprised to find angry people mobbing their beloved home.

I didn't even know there was a Fleet of Lepers and that people couldn't enjoy our services. - Said one resident as he is whacked by a beer bottle filled with cement.

The angry mob of Lepers storm the palace and breach the Server rooms where they find a sleeping developer. Rabid sentences the developer to a musical concert given by Shatner. He screams in horror as the mob drags him away to the concert. Rabid instructs a Leper skilled in computering software technology to review the data. He gives a quick look, and is shocked.

Ah, that's why. The developers introduced a program that affects every 100th computer to download the Legacy of Romulus expansion to begin work on the Question of 42. There, I've deleted the instructions. Now we can begin! - The hero says as he is carried out by the Leper mob to their PCs and Laptops.

Branflakes sighs in relief and wonders if this day will ever happen again.
  • Options
    darthmalendarthmalen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have noticed that this game is conflicting with Windows XP.

The game crashes when loading the character selection screen.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    it's their end, nothing to do with us
  • Options
    tomatosquish42tomatosquish42 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well I guess I am out of the leper fleet, not sure what happened but I am able to get back in.

I had the crash issue this morning when I tried. This afternoon I tried again, still had the crash issue. I was about to close the game out when I was stuck at the LoR screen but got mildly distracted for about 5-10 minutes by a friend and when I came back I was at some goofy account verification screen.

Since this has happened I logged in, closed out and logged back in a few times to be sure. It appears I can get in (without the wait at LoR screen too) again.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ransom2375 wrote: »
    Cryptic has lots of meetings each monday. One thing they discuss, is how many players they had in game over the past week.

For more info watch this: Al Rivera on Stoked - Sat Nov 16 2013.

Does anybody know a changeling who could sneak in there tomorrow? Would be interesting. :P

This (link), is incredibly insightful. and I'm only a quarter of the way through.
    Thanks for posting it.

I had no idea the Vorn, and Dino's were actually canon.
    I take back anything negative I might have said about dino's in Star Trek.
    (There's alot of Voyager, and even more DS9 episodes I haven't seen yet).

Apparently the Vorn are from Voyager "Distant Origin". (Season 3: Ep.23).
    Going to have to watch it now.

Thanks again.
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well I guess I am out of the leper fleet, not sure what happened but I am able to get back in.

I had the crash issue this morning when I tried. This afternoon I tried again, still had the crash issue. I was about to close the game out when I was stuck at the LoR screen but got mildly distracted for about 5-10 minutes by a friend and when I came back I was at some goofy account verification screen.

Since this has happened I logged in, closed out and logged back in a few times to be sure. It appears I can get in (without the wait at LoR screen too) again.

Any idea what your Ticket Number was? O_O
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    For what it is worth I checked mine as well, also says season 9.

That being said, blame me. Shortly after I started playing there was the bug with the launcher failing to update. This went on and on and on until I quit. Now I came back and after a few months boom new bug that wont let a huge chunk of the base play.

Hmm, kinda hard to tell if you really ever had, "both feet" in the fleet.
    Meaning, your original launcher problem may have been the real culprit.

In any case, good luck! (Your new title will be determined at a later date).
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rabiddsaintrabiddsaint Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kemcha wrote: »
    what's even more funny is that Cryptic devs tell you to post the bug on the forums and yet the devs never check the forums.

I'd be willing to bet my last quarter its not that they don't check it, its more they don't respond to it cause you have to admit once you saw one of them every single person here would be dumping 20 million questions, acuzations, anger, suggestions and other things to boot.. I'm sure they check, if I were a dev, aint no way in hell I'd make a post here..

Just sayin
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The Army of lepers gather, under the banner of Rabid overlooking the city of Cryptic. Down, there, down below the bluffs, the city stood open. Its guards gone for the weekend.

Rabid smiles and forms his army into three groups. Pointy, Blunty and everyone else.

The plan, Rabid says to his fellow commanders, was to lay siege to the gates. But since the gatekeepers have decided they don't work weekends, a new plan was to be devised.

The mediator, Branflakes tries in vain to convince Cryptic's oligarchs to resolve the problem immediately as the Fleet and Army of the Lepers were amassed and marching. They brush him off, saying that the finest developers were at it, but were sent home because they were a little tired. He shakes his head and finds himself a nice view of the battleground.

Rabid instructs his commanders to take the Pointy column to the left, Blunty to the right and everyone else just... whatever. They'd all meet at the main servers.

The charge begins. Down the hill the Lepers run. Some drop dead of sheer exhaustion, having never run before in their life. Others pause to take their asthma puffs. Some even stop to flirt with the odd girl that they come across. Still though, the majority press on and through the open gates. The city inhabitants are surprised to find angry people mobbing their beloved home.

I didn't even know there was a Fleet of Lepers and that people couldn't enjoy our services. - Said one resident as he is whacked by a beer bottle filled with cement.

The angry mob of Lepers storm the palace and breach the Server rooms where they find a sleeping developer. Rabid sentences the developer to a musical concert given by Shatner. He screams in horror as the mob drags him away to the concert. Rabid instructs a Leper skilled in computering software technology to review the data. He gives a quick look, and is shocked.

Ah, that's why. The developers introduced a program that affects every 100th computer to download the Legacy of Romulus expansion to begin work on the Question of 42. There, I've deleted the instructions. Now we can begin! - The hero says as he is carried out by the Leper mob to their PCs and Laptops.

Branflakes sighs in relief and wonders if this day will ever happen again.

OMG! I LOVE THAT! LOL! I had to read it aloud to my wife! Too funneh..
  • Options
    tomatosquish42tomatosquish42 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't think the two bugs were related. At least not directly, not entirely sure what happened to the other bug I just know I quit for 6 or 7 months and it went away. The bug I am speaking of for the old one was when you tried to open the launcher it would say something akin to "trying to update launcher attempt 1 of 3) and it would go all the way to 3 of 3 and then close out. This went on for a good week or so before I had just written the game off entirely.

That being said I am not entirely sure I had the same bug you people do, for identification purposes it goes like this.

I launch and hit the Cryptic loading screen, goes to LoR screen where it says loading. I get the little Materials loaded message at the bottom and stays there (or this is what was happening rather). If I clicked anywhere it would crash to desktop.
    I'd be willing to bet my last quarter its not that they don't check it, its more they don't respond to it cause you have to admit once you saw one of them every single person here would be dumping 20 million questions, acuzations, anger, suggestions and other things to boot.. I'm sure they check, if I were a dev, aint no way in hell I'd make a post here..

Just sayin

If I were them I would use a dummy account, pretend to be another of the leper fleet trying to figure out what is wrong.

I agree with you though, if they identified themselves as a dev all that nastyness you mentioned would surely happen.
  • Options
    christopher0184christopher0184 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Totally Agree.

So, we should basically just sit back and wait for a fix, huh?
    I've waited all weekend, since Friday morning, to be precise, so waiting a little bit longer, while also waiting for the Season Premiere of a certain show on Saturday morning, probably won't bug me that much.
    Strike%2C_S.Rouge%2C_Freedom.png
    Primary ship: U.S.S. Lacus Clyne, Dyson Science Destroyer/U.S.S. Fausticorn, Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer
    Secondary ship: U.S.S. Rainbow Dash, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser/I.S.S. Princess Cadance, Mirror Assault Cruiser
    Tertiary ship: I.S.S. Freedom Gundam, Mirror Deep Space Science Vessel
    My YouTube Channel
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Gotta admit though, this thread would never have become what it has without the great effots of Cryptic.. HAIL TO CRYPTIC for making this thread what it is today!

My friends, my countrymen, my brothers and sistahs, hold your diseased heads up high and applaud this most great thread/fleet we've become!

*ROARS!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Glad you enjoyed it Rabid. this thread sure takes a different tone than the last one. The last one we were all cranky. This one is more like... annoyance and pity for the developers not being able to listen to us. It's like we're banging our heads against a brick wall.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Glad you enjoyed it Rabid. this thread sure takes a different tone than the last one. The last one we were all cranky. This one is more like... annoyance and pity for the developers not being able to listen to us. It's like we're banging our heads against a brick wall.

This is major, there's quite a few can't get in which isn't right. However, that being said there also can't be total dismay and the scene must be lightened to express some sense of humor so we can all keep sanity while we wait. We all know there's something coming (thinking patch here), its the waiting that's painful so lightening it up a bit is a good thing.

I've paid for a lifetime membership, I'll wait till the cows come home.. Just hope they come home quickly..
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Gotta admit though, this thread would never have become what it has without the great effots of Cryptic.. HAIL TO CRYPTIC for making this thread what it is today!

My friends, my countrymen, my brothers and sistahs, hold your diseased heads up high and applaud this most great thread/fleet we've become!

*ROARS!

LOL !Qupla!

Let's not forget sympathy for the poor Devs in the team who have to figure out WHY this is happening and coding for the fix.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    Let's not forget sympathy for the poor Devs in the team who have to figure out WHY this is happening and coding for the fix.

My sympathy and patience does go out to them, surely wouldn't want to be in their place about now...

*striking a medetative pose transmitting good will and smartness to them.. *

My guess is they ARE under the gun from Mr Big saying WTF, FIX IT!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    They know the solution is related to the last one, so I'm confused why it's so hard to do this time around
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    They know the solution is related to the last one, so I'm confused why it's so hard to do this time around

Because of the exceptional re-write of the code..
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    season 8, if I recall correctly, was a massive rewrite of the coding for certain graphics?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    season 8, if I recall correctly, was a massive rewrite of the coding for certain graphics?

Its not only that I'm sure, its more like making sure there a commonality that will accomidate every conceivable computer combination so that it works for everyone. That's the biggy I'd think.. and as I'm sure you know, there are so many combinations of systems put together.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    That is true, the last graphic patch to repair the previous crash... not everyone got back in, but the vast majority did,
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    That is true, the last graphic patch to repair the previous crash... not everyone got back in, but the vast majority did,

In a business sense I understand keeping that patch in place. and being able to log in on a stray laptop I had stuffed in a closet I saw there were quite a few online so after seeing that see keeping the new season in place and working on getting the (tricklers) back in game (being us).. I just hate being on the (trickler) end of the game.. pfft... sucks.. If I were in game it'd be like, wow, sorry you guys but the game is cool..

Hit-n-miss.. this time I missed as did we all here..
  • Options
    christopher0184christopher0184 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I didn't get back in. I just hope that I won't have to end up uninstalling and then reinstalling the game...
    Strike%2C_S.Rouge%2C_Freedom.png
    Primary ship: U.S.S. Lacus Clyne, Dyson Science Destroyer/U.S.S. Fausticorn, Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer
    Secondary ship: U.S.S. Rainbow Dash, Odyssey Tactical Cruiser/I.S.S. Princess Cadance, Mirror Assault Cruiser
    Tertiary ship: I.S.S. Freedom Gundam, Mirror Deep Space Science Vessel
    My YouTube Channel
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Time to go play some secondlife I suppose seeing as I can't get in here yet.. Hopeful thoughts for next time I try..

Happy foruming everyone... I think they have all the varients of systems and crash reports and such they need... Just a matter of time now..
This discussion has been closed.