test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #6

Comments

• suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly, I don't mind giant mechanised creatures used by an alien species in combat. Trek or not Trek, it's not the problem for me. The thing I've got issue with is that a species that pressumably evolved from Earth's dinosaurs is now basically using actual dinosaurs in their combat efforts. It's really like humans sending cyborg chimpanzees to the front lines. I can almost see a Mecha King Kong introduced down the road as a human's response to the Voth threat...
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    These Voth don't look too bad, and their ships look cool. But Bran I gotta ask do we get any Dino Morphers and zords this season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2EKdAiu3toY#t=5

A sto season 8 theme song :D
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    atlmykl wrote: »
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Planet
    I had that comic/record as a kid. Intelligent dinosaurs in star trek since 1979!

I wish there was just a "favorite" button for posts like yours.
    I used to have tons of those record/comic things as a kid.
  • venetar90venetar90 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    These look awesome, and i look forward to seeing them in action.

I would love to know why trek fans are so opposed to anything different or out of the norm though?

an alien race is doing something that seems totally alien to us. something we would never consider. so its clearly not star trek? i guess everyone just wants a human with a prosthetic forehead slapped onto them that acts like humans.

Cryptic, please continue to give us things we have not seen before. I for one enjoy pushing things beyond the established norm.

This ^ :) can't wait to check this stuff out! Would be cool to get both ground armor and tech as rep or lockbox rewards too!
    [/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Like other things, it's along the line of the following:

Can read it, and it looks awesome.
    Can look at it, and it looks awesome.

When trying to read it/look at it...in relation to Star Trek...well, the awesome starts to fade.

Based on previous blog posts, discussions here and there, some folks are wondering if the poll wasn't rigged. Voth? How many folks had to look up the Voth to see what they even were? One episode out of how many hundreds of episodes and they become a featured enemy?

It all comes off as a Geko Pet Project. Go figure, the guy named Captain Geko...wanting dinosaurs in the game? It's all kind of fishy...sorry, it may be tinfoil hat time - but that's how it's looking.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    freakium wrote: »
    As much as I love the Voth from VOY, I can't help but think the robo-dinosaurs came from the insane mind of a supervillain Voth with a swivel chair petting a robo-sabretooth. :rolleyes:

As long as he doesn't ask for 1 million quatloos we should be safe.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Love it. This is what STO should be about - showing the things that the TV series didn't have the budget for.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    suaveks wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't mind giant mechanised creatures used by an alien species in combat. Trek or not Trek, it's not the problem for me. The thing I've got issue with is that a species that pressumably evolved from Earth's dinosaurs is now basically using actual dinosaurs in their combat efforts. It's really like humans sending cyborg chimpanzees to the front lines. I can almost see a Mecha King Kong introduced down the road as a human's response to the Voth threat...

Yes because humans would never use animals in war and combat, never use dogs to blow up tanks...and why would something that comes from Earth have the same way of thinking humans don't think the same from different regions over hundreds of years.....so why would a spices millions of years apart even think the same.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs. I love dinosaurs!

I've seen weirder things within the star trek universe.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    This will keep you VERY HAPPY THEN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIWLIUwe1tE

Well just over ten hours... :rolleyes:

For the rest of us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4pKq0sEjuA

This is what we love.
    You just made things worse XD Why? Because I've never seen JP, but I have watched ALL Star Trek, even if not all the original runs. And yet, I like this addition, because it's a fairly possible evolution choice of a reptilian race (and dinosaurs ARE reptiles lol)... not to mention the fact that the possibilities of different worlds in an entire universe are limitless anyway.

So seriously, don't insult other's intelligence; it doesn't make you look good ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • molen#7916 molen Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Whiners are out in force I see, can we get a dino with lasers to shoot them and put them out of their misery?
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kallex76 wrote: »
    Whiners are out in force I see, can we get a dino with lasers to shoot them and put them out of their misery?
    Sadly, that's not unusual

And I wish :D But I'll enjoy the vastly different variety of ground troops in-game, for sure
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    An alien race that use T-Rexs with lasers?.. yes.. really trek.............

An "Alien" race that originated on Earth during the Jurassic Age.

Its pretty obvious you know nothing about the Voth.
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    atlmykl wrote: »
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dinosaur_Planet
    I had that comic/record as a kid. Intelligent dinosaurs in star trek since 1979!

Difference is, these Dino's did not decide to chat to the crew first and find out whats going on, and they did not have a T-rex with friggin laser beams running round after them either...

They was stuck on a world, I have read it also and its completely different...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • dinoyipidinoyipi Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When looking at the Voth as a species, our starting point was only one episode, so we had to look at what stood out about them and extrapolate from there. Their actions demonstrated that they were highly defensive, both culturally and militarily. While they vastly outstripped Voyager?s level of technology, offense was not their preferred solution to the problems that Voyager posed to them. They were also clearly very Science-focused ? they had entire councils of elders dedicated to each field of Science, and their technology was able to transport an entire Intrepid-class starship. Their vessels were exceptionally large, and their cloaking technology was an advanced form of phasing not seen in the Alpha Quadrant.

So what did we take from all that? In combat, we want the Voth to feel defensive.
    Your version of the Voth does not feel defensive. Sending genetically engineered dinosaurs into battle makes them look like savages, not scientists. That's the sort of thing you've expect the Gorn to do, not the Voth.

If you want defensive, try giving them some uber-powerful defense shield or something that you have to actually think your way through.
    For personal reasons, I've left Star Trek Online.
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Quick call master chief the covenant of dinosaurs has arrived!:eek:

ROFL

I dont know guys.. Trek is an open universe (due to the canon = JJ mess) I say we give it a chance.. As long as the Voth stay out of the alpha quadrant at least most of the game will stay SOMEWHAT cannon... I want this high level prey to fight the borg.. (Yes political and strategic manipulation) maybe pull them both back to Elachi and watch the chaos from afar... Yet again I am only a "trekkie" not a "trekker" so my demands on this MMO are fun only this new season has potential to be great or smash the game off the market if people are truly going to canonize it to oblivion.. In the end noone is forcing you to play any specific facet of the game (or the game itself for that matter..) Get over it or get offline.:eek:
  • gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The last screenshot appears to show us the back of the Voth Reputation Armor!

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/95/05/95056df990bce963f6f9fc82923547aa1381948808.jpg

THIS WHOLE SPHERE THING LOOKS AWESOME.
  • authuriousauthurious Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kallex76 wrote: »

Seriously.

While you're at it. Add a mech slot to our ground crew roster. I'd love to have a laser raptor or T-Rex to replace my redshirt. Ooh and a Tholian gundam mech.

I don't mind even having the T-rex downsized to fun size just so he can fit inside doors. :D
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Will the Disassembler trait work against mechs or dinosaurs? It says androids... those dinos look pretty cybernetic. And the mechs aren't living even if they have a pilot inside (will the pilot pop out when the mech is disabled?)
    edited October 2013
    As we are having really stupid stuff in game now, can we have this dance for our toons please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1XGdu-hzQ

:eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • renarcenerenarcene Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Complaining about this NEW content, Really!?.. I mean REALLY?! People, its a GAME. A VIDEO GAME. A video game based on fictional universe... and you're complaining about dinosaurs with frickin laser beams on their heads!?... This is awesome, why would you want to kill it.
    When I was a kid I built starships and bridge sets out of legos and put every toy I had as a starship crew including my little lego men, mcdonalds toys, and much more. Fighting dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads on a ground map during a Star Trek mission with the captain I created is like a childhood dream come true. This is my playset as a kid, and its probably the same for many, many other people as well. It may be hard to wrap your mind around, but that just means you lack creativity. Don't ruin this for the rest of us...
    I like my Sci guy & I like my Sci ship & that's that.
  • ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Let's be utterly honest, Dinosaurs used to be a huge thing back in the days and if they would have had the special effects budget to use them back then you can bet that Star trek would have had episodes with fricking Dinosaurs in it and released toys of them to buy. :P

Humans also have equipped animals with technical gadgets and used them in warfare for ages, the Klingons use them, too, hell the Gorn even already have kinda dinosaur-y beasts, to think the voth use their favourite animals for war isn't al that far fetched.

That being said, the design feels awfully toyetic and while my inner child absolutely loves them, the cynic in me feels I'm way to old for stuff like this.

Also, I really hope the Storywriters can actually give us a plausible reason for all three factions to be at war. Right now, with all the talk of the voth being defensive and not aggressive in nature, it feels like it's shaping up to be one of these incredibly frustrating episodes of old superhero cartoons where you know that hero one is a good guy, hero two is a good guy, too and those Idiots wouldn't be fighting at all if they'd just be smart enough to take a moment and bloody talk to each other.

With the Ridiculous number of enemys the Federation is making there should realy be a chance to actually make new allies once in a while, especially since the Iconians have been coming... any minute now... like... for real! Very Soon! ...for a while now.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Considering everything, perhaps not making them cyborg dinos and instead making them robotic might help appease some players concerns.

Might take a while to cook up a good texture but perhaps a generic metalic texture in place of the skin texture as a proof of concept could be applied and rendered then players given a choice between the two?

Either way the T-Rex will be in the game but will be less jurrasic park and more sci fi.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    As we are having really stupid stuff in game now, can we have this dance for our toons please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1XGdu-hzQ

:eek:

Sorry its already been done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CayMeza487M

:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The galactic humane society reminds you that Dinosaurs......... with lasers...... and armour........ are people too.

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    You forget TOS had canon Greek Gods, TRIBBLE-in-space, Hippies-in-space, and a lot more ridiculous things :P Dinosaurs is nothing really

I'm replying on mobile or I'd go into more depth but I don't think you're wrong.

I'd like cowboys and space TRIBBLE and Greek gods and the Bringloidi space Irish and the like in this game too.

But there's a big presentation difference. Trek would hit those things fast and hard and be onto something else next week. In fact, a TV show budget and presentation style encouraged moving on quickly.

With this, it's months of work and extrapolation into something that will linger and be the prime focus of the game for six months.

It won't be, "oh. Space dinosaurs this week, cowboys the next, and then six episodes aboard my ship of fairly grounded stuff."

We're going to be living inside this episode for six months.

It's not so much that Star Trek can't have a cutaway or mention or episode about space dinosaurs with lasers. It can. It's that this is going to be a disproportionate focus on something that would work best at the margins of Trek, not as the focus of six months of gameplay.
  • maddrivermaddriver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Unfortunately Season 8 will be jumping the shar...dinosaur...
    Ignum Campaign NWS-DBBV2EY9G
    "The quest for the Book of Ignum"
    Chapter 1 Path to the Underworld NW-DA4N8EOZD
    "I have seen your future. I have seen your end"
  • mrichardsmrichards Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Nice, can't wait to check it out.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you want defensive, try giving them some uber-powerful defense shield or something that you have to actually think your way through.

Something tells me you haven't fought the Voth yet. ;)
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Something tells me you haven't fought the Voth yet. ;)

challenge accepted