test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

January 31st 2016

Comments

• Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    I saw a post on reddit from a dev a while back, it flat out stated that they go to reddit as the forums here are too hostile.

Man, when Reddit is the mature option...
    <3
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Givaways this year were a cop out, all consumable stuff except for some lowbie ships? Remember the year we got shuttles, tier 2 ships, and tier 5 ships for each faction? Yeah, not impressed cryptic.

How is 2 spec points per character consumables? Costumes are not consumables either. Might want to do some fact checking before you decide to make stupid posts.

Yes! YOU azrael605 are the one making the stupid post here, to use your own words.

HERE is a hint for you: Any object in the game that vanishes from the place it is held when you CONSUME it, IS a CONSUMABLE.

Spec Point boxes, in your inventory: You use ONE..but not both: ONE disappears. WHERE did that Spec Point container go? HOOOOOOOOOLD the Phone!

That Spec Point: WAS CONSUMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. VERY Stupid.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    neeko69neeko69 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    .[/quote]
    sILLy rABBIt... tRICKs ArE fOr kIDs...

Something about "having half a brain" seems the reasonable response here.
    B) [/quote]

Gets my vote for best repsonse of the thread :#

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Popcorn time...

https://youtu.be/NjxNnqTcHhg

Anybody want butter on it?

https://youtu.be/DBYjZTdrJlA

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    thetanine wrote: »
    Givaways this year were a cop out, all consumable stuff except for some lowbie ships? Remember the year we got shuttles, tier 2 ships, and tier 5 ships for each faction? Yeah, not impressed cryptic.

How is 2 spec points per character consumables? Costumes are not consumables either. Might want to do some fact checking before you decide to make stupid posts.

Yes! YOU azrael605 are the one making the stupid post here, to use your own words.

HERE is a hint for you: Any object in the game that vanishes from the place it is held when you CONSUME it, IS a CONSUMABLE.

Spec Point boxes, in your inventory: You use ONE..but not both: ONE disappears. WHERE did that Spec Point container go? HOOOOOOOOOLD the Phone!

Yeah. VERY Stupid.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)​​

Nope, it is permanently a part of your character, you can look at it any time you want to, unless you delete the character it will never go away. Nice try though.
    Nice one, Azrael. Straight owned. Consumables are things like Large Hypos, Romulan Ale, etc.

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the 48 hour giveaway. Now look at things the other way. If the ships were only available for 24 hours, we'd see threads instead complaining that people couldn't log on due to lag, work, or whatever and that "CRYPTIC SUCKS" for not extending the giveaways. Make up your minds, whiners.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    Actually, there are threads whining about not being able to claim the ships even with 2 days to level up. See:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1211143/seems-i-am-not-worthy-to-claim-a-giveaway

Cryptic are saints to even try to be nice to us given all the whiners they have to put up with.
  • Options
    zombieman149zombieman149 Member Posts: 29 New User
    open the c-store click the ship tab and select tier 4
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    scrooge69 wrote: »

go go white knight!

anyways OP is right there is supposed to be a giveaway according to the forum news post today

Well, technically, they ARE giving something away today (Jan 31) - it's the exact same thing they were giving away on Jan 30 though. Technically, they didn't say:

"We'll be giving something DIFFERENT each day..."
    actually they did - "Every 24 hours, we’ll be giving out a different item (or even multiple), so be sure to grab these up!"

though I except that we didn't get anything on sunday I can see how many were confused by the blog myself amongst them.
    I am not knocking cryptic for what they have given away and I am more then happy with what I have received and have commented on cryptics generosity in another thread but there is no altering the fact that the blog on the cryptic news page is misleading.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    2. Three ships? That's odd. Each of my characters only got one ship, and I have characters on both factions.

alright you dont want to use your eyes, thats on you but im not gonna help you troll.
    You, like the other guy, have missed the point entirely. Neither lord steve, nor myself, are complaining about the free items. What we're noting--in unison--is the contradictory nature of Cryptic's own communication. For example, if they said they were giving out a new thing every 24 hours for 5 days; but it happened to be the same thing, 5 days in a row--that wouldn't be the quite the same. Neither would it be congruent if they said they were giving out nothing--then secretly put something in the zen store unannounced--and most people missed it because it...because it was never announced & Cryptic had said they already weren't doing so.

I do not care if the standard is arbitrary and unfair--I simply ask that Cryptic adhere to it. And in this case, the standard is whatever Cryptic itself decreed.

no you are asking from speculative point of view for an answer from another speculative point of view. because this is what your point consists of and i am not trendy or a cryptic staff member, i can not answer this "point". also cryptic/pwe do not owe you an opnion on anything, they can change what they like without telling the players anything, it is in the agreements you signed when you started playing the game and taken part in this forum here.

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    2. Three ships? That's odd. Each of my characters only got one ship, and I have characters on both factions.

alright you dont want to use your eyes, thats on you but im not gonna help you troll.
    You, like the other guy, have missed the point entirely. Neither lord steve, nor myself, are complaining about the free items. What we're noting--in unison--is the contradictory nature of Cryptic's own communication. For example, if they said they were giving out a new thing every 24 hours for 5 days; but it happened to be the same thing, 5 days in a row--that wouldn't be the quite the same. Neither would it be congruent if they said they were giving out nothing--then secretly put something in the zen store unannounced--and most people missed it because it...because it was never announced & Cryptic had said they already weren't doing so.

I do not care if the standard is arbitrary and unfair--I simply ask that Cryptic adhere to it. And in this case, the standard is whatever Cryptic itself decreed.

no you are asking from speculative point of view for an answer from another speculative point of view. because this is what your point consists of and i am not trendy or a cryptic staff member, i can not answer this "point". also cryptic/pwe do not owe you an opnion on anything, they can change what they like without telling the players anything, it is in the agreements you signed when you started playing the game and taken part in this forum here.

That's a lot of words to say "I dunno; whatever." And you call me a troll? Oh, Internet... you never fail to deliver.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I am absolutely not complaining about the lack of or quality of any freebie items.

My concern and disappointment is with the fact that time and again they release blogs that are factually incorrect or contradict themselves within the blog itself and this leads to confusion and upset amongst the players.

What seems to some like a minor issue over the nature of a giveaway would be a whole different picture were it a blog that incorrectly listed the stats of a ship and people paid for it under false pretences.
    The simple fact is that what they put in their blogs needs to be accurate and consistent. Also that accuracy and consistency needs to be the same across all of the resources they use to transmit information to the players. It's no good updating the info on Facebook or Reddit but ignoring the official forums or the initial blog.
    Heck even freely admitting they avoid their own forums seem to indicate a serious problem they don't seem to be able to tackle. If the forums are hostile now think how much worse it gets with them ignoring it.

I couldn't care less if there was a freebie giveaway or not but any communication they make to their customer base needs to be accurate.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options

Yeah. VERY Stupid.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I've never seen *any* of the giveaways (and I checked regularly); and most certainly no free Spec Points. :(

Then you seem to ignore the promotions tab because spec points was like the first thing they gave out.

No, I'm pretty sure I checked that tab. :) It's not like I really need spec points (what I need is the promised Dilithium, for when you maxed everything out); but would have been handy for next Spec tree. Oh well.

ERROR ID:10T or 7R011​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    you will need a character from each of the 3 factions to claim all 3 ships.

Not true...a rom can pull double duty for whatever faction they are aligned with.

Only for the junior officer ships. ROMs can't fly the upper tier ships of either faction FED or KDF.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Is it me... or did this thread take a header down gutter of River of Tears Lane?
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @coldnapalm what the hell is up you?

I merely used the ship release blog as an example of how something being incorrect in a blog could cause friction with the players. I know there's a disclaimer but not every blog has one and changes could cause all manner of problems if the players aren't kept properly informed. There's a million other things that could cause the same friction if they mess up a blog or write incorrect info. Do you not remember the carry on with the great dilithium event nerf where the terms of the event and the blog were changed after the event started? That's just one example of how their poor communication has upset players/customers.

If you're going go give info to your customers make sure it's accurate, not too much to ask. And if you do make a mistake own up and state as such so people see you acknowledging any confusion caused.

As for this forum being immature, heck you just went into a full on rant yourself and you have the check to accuse others of being immature of complaining.
    It's a forum, it's where people come to speak their mind on the game and provided they are polite I see no reason why the devs should actively avoid the place. If it's gotten hostile maybe they need to work out why and try to get the place to improve.
    Most discussions here are civil and the real TRIBBLE & moan threads don't last long or are closed early by the community managers.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing opinions and I think people should be free to do so without fear of being accused of being immature or whatever.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    thetanine wrote: »

Yeah. VERY Stupid.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)​​

Nope, it is permanently a part of your character, you can look at it any time you want to, unless you delete the character it will never go away. Nice try though.

I can understand some people confusing spec points with consumables but in actual fact they are another form of currency as it says on the arc website "Captain Specializations are a new tier of advancement in which players will progress by earning and spending Specialization Points." so if you are in fact earning and spending Specialization Points that makes them a currency.

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2016

That's a lot of words to say "I dunno; whatever." And you call me a troll? Oh, Internet... you never fail to deliver.

presuming to know - check.
    antagonistic - check
    childish insults - check
    faiure to understand and confusing it with epeen - check.
    That ends this pointless debate.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Children, children, if you don't stop all this bickering, your going to be sent to bed without your ice cream.

Lack of precision in the Announcement blogs has been a problem on the past.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    as for me options are two,
    option one: Cryptic forgot whats the deal with "every 24h"
    option two: Cryptic forgot that january has 31 days

at this moment I'm not sure which would be worse but I'm not mad at them for that - they have just given my rommie alt ship she would need eventually for those canons for nice set bonuses..... for free :)

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Why did this thread get so hostile?! I too noticed I'm not seeing the promotional items (and haven't seen any in the last 2 years, come to think of it). Only to be met by all sorts of silly insults (not that I really care about those, as these freebies never meant much to me to begin with, since they're usually lowly T4 ships and/or other stuff I already had; but 2 free spec points would have been nice, for sure). But why is there such fierce fighting in this thread?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Why did this thread get so hostile?! I too noticed I'm not seeing the promotional items (and haven't seen any in the last 2 years, come to think of it). Only to be met by all sorts of silly insults (not that I really care about those, as these freebies never meant much to me to begin with, since they're usually lowly T4 ships and/or other stuff I already had; but 2 free spec points would have been nice, for sure). But why is there such fierce fighting in this thread?!

beats me, maybe just some people cant just admit that cryptic have made a mistake and as the mistake is pretty undeniable they seem to think their only course of action is to get hostile and try and make out that the posters who have pointed out cryptics mistake are being greedy or entitled or something when in actual fact all they want is to be informed of events and such in an accurate manner and personally I don't think that's too much too ask of cryptic.

and sorry but the arc website is cryptics official place for posting information, suggesting people should have to check out other sites to try and glean the correct information is just not on and its totally wrong of cryptic if this is what they expect us to do.

• Options
    mokusammokusam Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Popcorn time...

God bless you. Thank you. <3
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    Pretendy fun time games are serious business.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    maerikcharonmaerikcharon Member Posts: 108 Arc User

When you eat food in real life, some of it becomes a part of you forever, does that make real life food not 'consumable'? Cause if not, how do you eat it?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Roms can fly the T5 Ambassador, if Fed aligned.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited February 2016

When you eat food in real life, some of it becomes a part of you forever, does that make real life food not 'consumable'? Cause if not, how do you eat it?

like I said before as it says on the arc website "Captain Specializations are a new tier of advancement in which players will progress by earning and spending Specialization Points." so if you are in fact earning and spending Specialization Points that makes them a currency.

I will just add I guess you could say the game consumes them when you spend them as they are removed from the game but then the same could be said when you buy something with dilithium and you would not class dilithium as a consumable.

having said that I can see where you are coming from in that the first 3 items were one time use where as the uniform and ships you could use repeatedly.