test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

wondering about oddysey

cenellcenell Member Posts: 88 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Federation Discussion
Just wondering why the Oddysey Science Cruiser ended up with Sensor Analysis and Cruiser Commands and the Carriers(Catian and Obelisk) which have subsystem targetting, did not?
Post edited by cenell on

Comments

• Options
    roadkill21roadkill21 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Odyssey_Science_Cruiser

It's not a proper Science vessel, its a just cruiser configured more for science.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I agree so why did the oddysey sci cruiser get sensor analysis? its not really a sci ship.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A science ship is defined as sensor analysis *AND* subsystem targeting. Most carriers get subsystem targeting and carrier commands, while Sci Odyssey gets sensor analysis and cruiser commands, but neither are true science ships. This will be clearer when they add secondary deflectors later, which will only be usable on pure science ships.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would like to see the Star Cruiser and the Exploration Cruiser to get sensor analysis as well. Both of them have a science lean as well (the Explorer even has the Venture Type Refit with is a science cruiser) and as such could need the sensor analysis to compensate the lack of tactical consoles. Carriers have their pets to be very flexible, each pet has some other abilities. The cruisers however would greatly benefit from that ability.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ah ok, here i really thought something was wrong with the above situation, what i did not get was the oddysey sci, which has 4/4 weapons slots really needed the sensor analysis? I think it would have benefitted carriers (all factions) to get it as well, at least the ones with subsystem targetting, since most only have 3/3 slots, the extra dmg curve would have helped also the assist for healing abilities, at least i think so:)
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I would like to see the Star Cruiser and the Exploration Cruiser to get sensor analysis as well. Both of them have a science lean as well (the Explorer even has the Venture Type Refit with is a science cruiser) and as such could need the sensor analysis to compensate the lack of tactical consoles. Carriers have their pets to be very flexible, each pet has some other abilities. The cruisers however would greatly benefit from that ability.

I would too, but not for the reasons you gave. They're both support ships so, yeah, I think they could use a boost to healing.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    I would too, but not for the reasons you gave. They're both support ships so, yeah, I think they could use a boost to healing.

Support works in both ways, it's a win-win :D They need a bit more damage to tank better (getting aggro in one of those supposed tank ships can be a tough task), they support the damage output of everyone and it could their healing.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    cenell wrote: »
    I think it would have benefitted carriers (all factions) to get it as well, at least the ones with subsystem targetting, since most only have 3/3 slots, the extra dmg curve would have helped also the assist for healing abilities, at least i think so:)
    Generally speaking, carriers are supposed to use pets for damage. Limited mobility, limited weapon hard-points, limited tac consoles... pets make up the difference. With an engi-heavy carrier you fly in and draw aggro and then have the pets attack the target while you sponge up damage, while sci-heavy carrier can use CC and then send in the pets to attack.

SA is to give science ships a buff. They dont have pets to rely on, and they still suck at damage.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    i don't see how that makes any sense then? again, speaking on the sci oddy, which has both cruiser commands AND sensor analysis? so you are saying the sci oddy does not have enough impact even without pets? seems to me the sci oddy is OP in that respect, yes, carrier pets do make up the dmg curve for Carriers, but still the point is being missed, sci oddy did not NEED sensor analysis at all, a fair adjustment would have been add it to carriers class as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Well as it stands now giving the buffed SA plus Cruiser Commands to Sci Oddy and Bortas was obviously a mistake.

IMO the problem is that Sci Oddy and Sci Bortas is they have too many cruiser commands, not that cruisers dont have SA. If they are supposed to be support flavor then they dont need all the cruiser commands.

But we dont know what future balance will be like after secondary deflectors. When pure sci ships get those and we have a better idea on the TRIBBLE that are available, we will have a better idea on how the ships can be balanced better.
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Support works in both ways, it's a win-win :D They need a bit more damage to tank better (getting aggro in one of those supposed tank ships can be a tough task), they support the damage output of everyone and it could their healing.

yeah, I made a tanking galaxy just because I wanted to see if I could do it. I had to drop TT for FAW1 and doffed APD1 and drop a beam array for a hargh'peng because the DoT helps to keep agro. It's not easy but it's fun :)

I think SA would greatly help the galaxy and star cruiser, because right now the galaxy-x and odyssey can emulate them and do a better job.