test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thalaron weapons: The end of the fed-romulan alliance?

Comments

• Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Yes I approve of it.....when Captains stop opening rifts in space, Gravity wells then maybe I will agree with a so called doomsday weapon being used especially since Every weapon in trek is a doomsday weapon.

Gravity Wells are not doomsday weapons.

Thalaron Cannons and the Doomsday Machine are the only two doomsday weapons in the game, and one of them is unavailable for players.

(No... Cryptic, don't make that ship either...)
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ill tale any advantage I can get in this or any game. If its not considered a cheat and is in game then I say so be it. Reason for that is while those of you concerning your selfs with the moralities of it all some PvP guy will be lining you up for his thaleron face boiler....
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    tennytententennytenten Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree, I hate the thought too, they must have forgot the WHOLE EPISODE they dedicated to it, and just saw more money.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Someone needs to report the STO community to an Animal rights group, becasue they are treating horses badly. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Ill tale any advantage I can get in this or any game. If its not considered a cheat and is in game then I say so be it. Reason for that is while those of you concerning your selfs with the moralities of it all some PvP guy will be lining you up for his thaleron face boiler....

You actually play PVP? Are you mad?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Someone needs to report the STO community to an Animal rights group, becasue they are treating horses badly. :D

Oh shut up you.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

We're all mad in one way or another. Especially me. I spent 4 months testing one of the considered "worst" ships in the game, and learnt how to fly it effectively.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    We're all mad in one way or another. Especially me. I spent 4 months testing one of the considered "worst" ships in the game, and learnt how to fly it effectively.

Touche. I withdraw my previous statement and apologize.
  • Options
    wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So you approve of a lethal radiation weapon being used against friendlies in a war game?

That's the equivalent of having a paintball fight, and someone brings in the mustard gas.

The only nation to use a fusion device was my own, but since then all the worlds major powers have developed those same fusion and later fission devices to the extent that the world itself and in its entirety could be turned to carbon seventeen times over.. No one has ever used it.. But here you are, wanting to create rules and laws forbidding the use of a pretend weapon in a game because your afraid it will be used.. That fear is probably well based in logic because your damned right it'll be used, but since it will probably never be used in pvp matches, it will only be used in ESTFs where it will be used as part of YOUR team so that you can get it over with all that much sooner and go home with your happy happy joy joy rewards.. It is barely a part of the storyline, and by the time you can get this ship the story is OVER.. get a life.. even an in game one.. this ship is about grinding and nothing more.. it has very little to do with the game at all..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Totally barking! :D
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    An interesting dilemma. It will be curious to see Cryptic's response to all of the concern. That is, if the bother to respond at all rather than laugh all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Thalaron Cannons and the Doomsday Machine are the only two doomsday weapons in the game, and one of them is unavailable for players.

So if I opened a Gravity well inside a planet or rip open subspace with a tricobalt torpedo which BTW is technically illegal by the Federation, but they still use tricobalts anyway even though they know it might cause a subspace rip in space.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    wufangchu wrote: »
    The only nation to use a fusion device was my own, but since then all the worlds major powers have developed those same fusion and later fission devices to the extent that the world itself and in its entirety could be turned to carbon seventeen times over.. No one has ever used it.. But here you are, wanting to create rules and laws forbidding the use of a pretend weapon in a game because your afraid it will be used.. That fear is probably well based in logic because your damned right it'll be used, but since it will probably never be used in pvp matches, it will only be used in ESTFs where it will be used as part of YOUR team so that you can get it over with all that much sooner and go home with your happy happy joy joy rewards.. It is barely a part of the storyline, and by the time you can get this ship the story is OVER.. get a life.. even an in game one.. this ship is about grinding and nothing more.. it has very little to do with the game at all..

Ugh, I hate people who play the shining knight idiot and say: Its just a game, its not so bad in a game! We know fool, but some of us actually care about the setting.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Because the Federation never allied with a race who used banned weapons before.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    So if I opened a Gravity well inside a planet or rip open subspace with a tricobalt torpedo which BTW is technically illegal by the Federation, but they still use tricobalts anyway even though they know it might cause a subspace rip in space.

That's the Red Matter device, not the Gravwell in the game. Red Matter weapons are not in the game.

As for tricobalts, a subspace rip does not qualify for mass destruction or genocide. Limiting subspace in an area does not equal killing people.
  • Options
    timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you don't mind a few spoilers about Star Trek books, in the Destiny novels Picard orders Geordi to turn the Enterprise's deflector into a thalaron weapon to use against the Borg. Goerdi of course refuses, as his best friend gave his life to destroy Shinzon's thalaron thing, and to build a new one would be an insult to Data's memory. It's too bad the devs don't feel the same way.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Well they do now. Want a tissue? :D
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well they do now. Want a tissue? :D

I was being sarcastic sorry it went over your head of course the Federation have allied with a race that used banned weapons, the Son'a
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually, the release of this scimitar breaks Cryptic's own weird lore. One of the conditions of an alliance between the KDF/Fed and the Republic would most certainly have been a ban on the use of such weapons in their ships. So I'm wondering how Cryptic digs themselves out of their own plot hole on this one.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh wait... :D

Coming soon to a Z-store near you.... :p

But anyways, it's a matter of what you use a weapon for that makes it immoral. I'm not going to be pointing mine at inhabited planets personally. :p

Besides.... photon torpedoes can be used as a doomsday device... got A Taste of Armageddon?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gonjaa wrote: »
    If the weapon actually destroyed weapons in game, I would agree with your point.

If this was a TV series or book, I would agree with your point on canon.

Since neither of these things are true, I believe your points to be secondary to making a game that people enjoy to play and to making c-store items that people would like to purchase.

If that's the case, then where are my bikinis? I am willing to pay money for bikinis, yet I don't see them being given out to players. Hmm...
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    gojoredgojored Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    phffftbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbthpt!
    they are here ennyhow, if people are crazy enough to get one, let em, cstore ships are never ever as good as the fleet elites or lockbox ships man. Watch and see, the so called thelaron weapon?....smoke blowin in the wind, or a tiny, tiny fraction of the movie weapon, and takes so long to deploy...just send a cappy over there and throw a wrench in the energy stream (a redshirt would be better) and thats it! oh, lets not forget, remember the ship ramming in the movie? they just need to give an AOE (pinto) effect, and kaboom....thar she blows!

All this to say...with the exception of honest mistakes that ARE corrected, dont ya think that the last thing Cryptic wants to do is unbalance the game they spent the better part of 3 years or more to balance? Hey, not bein a fanboi here, just using common sense, and not...taking...the...game...too....s-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y!
    :cool:
    [SIGPIC]tritrophic mutualism: we get a viable game experience, and perfect worlds new ai "ARC" dines on our zen[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    gojored wrote: »
    phffftbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbpbthpt!
    they are here ennyhow, if people are crazy enough to get one, let em, cstore ships are never ever as good as the fleet elites or lockbox ships man. Watch and see, the so called thelaron weapon?....smoke blowin in the wind, or a tiny, tiny fraction of the movie weapon, and takes so long to deploy...just send a cappy over there and throw a wrench in the energy stream (a redshirt would be better) and thats it! oh, lets not forget, remember the ship ramming in the movie? they just need to give an AOE (pinto) effect, and kaboom....thar she blows!

All this to say...with the exception of honest mistakes that ARE corrected, dont ya think that the last thing Cryptic wants to do is unbalance the game they spent the better part of 3 years or more to balance? Hey, not bein a fanboi here, just using common sense, and not...taking...the...game...too....s-e-r-i-o-u-s-l-y!
    :cool:

This... is... Serious!

(The Joker, anyone?)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    velqua wrote: »
    If that's the case, then where are my bikinis? I am willing to pay money for bikinis, yet I don't see them being given out to players. Hmm...

The ESRB isn't nerdy enough to understand the nemesis references. If they did, the game would be rated M for mature. Essentially, the thalaron weapon is a WMD meant for destroying entire ships, people in the blink of an eye. It's the star trek version of the nuclear bomb. Yet, showing some skin is more offensive.... ROFL.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Actually, the release of this scimitar breaks Cryptic's own weird lore. One of the conditions of an alliance between the KDF/Fed and the Republic would most certainly have been a ban on the use of such weapons in their ships. So I'm wondering how Cryptic digs themselves out of their own plot hole on this one.

Where does it say that, Last I saw it was the Republic gives the Federation and KDF some technology, and the Republic gets a planet, and they have to have an embassy from the other factions.

When i helped the Reman not once did i tell them ...oh no please don't use them it's bad...No i was like I'm joining you my Reman brothers....and not once does anyway say or show them taking Thalaron weapons away, hell the Republic has the Vault.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    The ESRB isn't nerdy enough to understand the nemesis references. If they did, the game would be rated M for mature. Essentially, the thalaron weapon is a WMD meant for destroying entire ships, people in the blink of an eye. It's the star trek version of the nuclear bomb. Yet, showing some skin is more offensive.... ROFL.

Except STO is no longer under the ESRB rating system.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was being sarcastic sorry it went over your head of course the Federation have allied with a race that used banned weapons, the Son'a

Thaleron weapons are underpowered! I want Sona ships! I want subspace weapons!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Where does it say that, Last I saw it was the Republic gives the Federation and KDF some technology, and the Republic gets a planet, and they have to have an embassy from the other factions.

When i helped the Reman not once did i tell them ...oh no please don't use them it's bad...No i was like I'm joining you my Reman brothers....and not once does anyway say or show them taking Thalaron weapons away, hell the Republic has the Vault.

Why would I trust somebody with this kind of tech when they could turn on me at any time and wipe out an entire Federation planet? Why would the Klingons for that matter? You really think the Federation is stupid enough to risk a another Reman revolt blowing up in their faces like Shinzon's did?
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Had to laugh at that one. Good point, this community has flogged so many dead horses.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    timpants wrote: »
    If you don't mind a few spoilers about Star Trek books, in the Destiny novels Picard orders Geordi to turn the Enterprise's deflector into a thalaron weapon to use against the Borg. Goerdi of course refuses, as his best friend gave his life to destroy Shinzon's thalaron thing, and to build a new one would be an insult to Data's memory. It's too bad the devs don't feel the same way.

While I find the addition of Thalaron weapons questionable, why exactly should Romulans be expected to share Geordi La Forge's respect for Commander Data?