test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thalaron weapons: The end of the fed-romulan alliance?

Comments

• begeracbegerac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yea but putting aside Thalaron Weapon in Romulan regular navy ship, where is Thalaron Warpcore to power it up?
  • milanvoriusmilanvorius Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vestereng wrote: »
    STO is not canon so what does it matter.

Same complaint with the romulans, yes they rewrite it any way they want to.

And that's how it has to be not least because of engine limits but for the sake of creativity aswell.

It would be easier if they just dropped the canon angle on their side and CBS just game them a green light to go where they want. There are many dev interviews where they claim to be canon, but like you say the engine just doesn't permit more than a star trek combat sim. I actually hold that their attempts to fit in canon limit their creativity to operate within the confines of the engine.
    PvE Jem'Hadar motto: Participation Ribbons are life.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited July 2013
    The obvious solution is that every time a players uses the Thelaron weapon, a combined fleet of feds and kdf warp in and pound him to dust.
  • linkjoylinkjoy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Who is wondering how on earth Cryptic/PWE got the ok to make thaleron weapons usable in this game.

No bikini's.
    No T5 Connie , Miranda, and NX.

Yet here we are, with the ST equivalent to the Death Star in destruction capability, and that's alright? Forget Cryptic, I think everyone should be a bit annoyed with the guy(s) in charge of okaying this stuff at CBS.

Seriously, did you guys at cryptic just forget t mention this or something? Is that how you got it through?

Because Cryptic is a bunch of LIARS. It has NOTHING to do with licensing.
  • tc10btc10b Member Posts: 1,549 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Photonic Shockwave Torpedo = No more thalaron pulse.

Problem solved with the application of science and science ships. :)
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Y'know, everyone keeps going on about the slow, painful deaths that Thalaron radiation causes, but in practice, we only ever see the effects of it in a device that was designed to be smuggled into the Romulan Senate without notice, and likely only gave off enough Thalaron radiation to do what it showed onscreen. It's entirely possible that a weapon like the Scimitar's pretty much kills instantly. Going by the drone-laid Thalaron Mines ingame, this would seem to be the case, since as far as I can remember, it kills anyone inside it's range as soon as it goes off, quite unlike how the smaller but similar device in the scene mentioned earlier worked.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Y'know, everyone keeps going on about the slow, painful deaths that Thalaron radiation causes, but in practice, we only ever see the effects of it in a device that was designed to be smuggled into the Romulan Senate without notice, and likely only gave off enough Thalaron radiation to do what it showed onscreen. It's entirely possible that a weapon like the Scimitar's pretty much kills instantly. Going by the drone-laid Thalaron Mines ingame, this would seem to be the case, since as far as I can remember, it kills anyone inside it's range as soon as it goes off, quite unlike how the smaller but similar device in the scene mentioned earlier worked.

I seriously doubt that an increase in radiation dosage will speed up the effect.
    If a "microscopic amount" is alread deadly, then the amount we saw in the movie used on the senate was already overkill. It's one of the truths of life that unless you use enough radiation to literally fry the person, above a certain amount death will not go faster.
    That the mines ingame kill instantly is most likely a matter of gameplay because otherwise you'd have to watch your own character die for several seconds and I'm not sure that's such a good idea given this game is still intended for teens.
  • neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am rather enjoying this thread. When I heard the game was getting a Scimitar I did an epic double facepalm, so blatently ridiculous.

I cannot agree more with the OP, the presence of this ship and weapon in game has made my romulan character into a terrorist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • naeviusnaevius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    We can use heavily banned weapons that are capable of destroying worlds and yet...

...we can't wear bikinis and have bare feet in all costumes?

I demand thalaron bikinis!

People forget that from a plot/story point of view, your captain is a special, unique snowflake.

Neither side is introducing thalaron weapons en masse; your captain just has, for whatever reason, access and control over one of these ships.

You could choose to never fire it. Perhaps you have even been ordered to never fire it...
    Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
    edited July 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that an increase in radiation dosage will speed up the effect.
    If a "microscopic amount" is alread deadly, then the amount we saw in the movie used on the senate was already overkill. It's one of the truths of life that unless you use enough radiation to literally fry the person, above a certain amount death will not go faster.
    That the mines ingame kill instantly is most likely a matter of gameplay because otherwise you'd have to watch your own character die for several seconds and I'm not sure that's such a good idea given this game is still intended for teens.

Well, I'll grant you that, but it's worth noting that I'm fairly sure the charge the Scimitar was building up WOULD have straight-up fried everyone on the Enterprise, and likely everything on a planet had it been aimed at one, given the stated lethal amounts, the charge time for the Senate-killer, and the charge time and size of the array the Scimitar had.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited July 2013

lol there wasn't anything slow about how the romulan senate died in nemesis. but yeah trust the romulan 'republic' to start using banned weapons that they are against. it will be romulan vs romulan anyway in pvp using banned weapons to fight someone else war against themselves :eek:
    edited July 2013
    Well, I'll grant you that, but it's worth noting that I'm fairly sure the charge the Scimitar was building up WOULD have straight-up fried everyone on the Enterprise, and likely everything on a planet had it been aimed at one, given the stated lethal amounts, the charge time for the Senate-killer, and the charge time and size of the array the Scimitar had.

With "fried" I actually meant LR radiation.;)
    edited July 2013
    With "fried" I actually meant LR radiation.;)

*shrug* well, in any case, going by the movie, death by thalaron isn't that much slower or more painful than death by disruptor (Klingon OR Romulan). Not to mention, several of the weapons and abilities available to our captains are just as insidious as thalaron radiation. RR captains in particular get the torpedo full of borg nanites that Voyager used on the 8472 ships. Borg. Nanites. At least one of the Vent [insert cloud type here] abilities actively reduces crew count. A Thalaron Blast isn't gonna do anything you're not already doing to enemy ships. You're blowing them up anyways...
    edited July 2013
    *shrug* well, in any case, going by the movie, death by thalaron isn't that much slower or more painful than death by disruptor (Klingon OR Romulan). Not to mention, several of the weapons and abilities available to our captains are just as insidious as thalaron radiation. RR captains in particular get the torpedo full of borg nanites that Voyager used on the 8472 ships. Borg. Nanites. At least one of the Vent [insert cloud type here] abilities actively reduces crew count. A Thalaron Blast isn't gonna do anything you're not already doing to enemy ships. You're blowing them up anyways...

If it's all the same anyway...why did we ban chemical weapons again?;)

And yeah, the nanite torpedoes make no sens anyways because to kill the crew they'd have to actually penetrate the hull, so I'm calling this a pure gameplay bit.:)
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    malkarris wrote: »
    Well look at subspace weapons, a banned weapon in the Federation, but used by the Son'a, and the Son'a and the Federation were allied at one point in time. So, I think a certain amount of real-politik (sp?) is going on here.

Indeed, the federation has a history of willingly looking the other way in cases where an alliance may suit their needs.
    edited July 2013

And yeah, the nanite torpedoes make no sens anyways because to kill the crew they'd have to actually penetrate the hull, so I'm calling this a pure gameplay bit.:)

XD Point taken, but c'mon, a single non-refit Constitution-class vessel was said to be able to scour a planet of life in less than a day. Starships capable of killing entire worlds worth of life aren't a new thing, and thalaron weapons arguably kill faster and cleaner than a number of weapons already in use in STO.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thread Merge... Please use this thread to discuss the inclusion of Thalaron Weapons in the game.

As a reminder, duplicate threads are considered a form of spamming. Please do not create any new threads about this topic as long as this one is active.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really, arguing about this is pretty pointless in both gameplay and story aspects. What your captain has and does really doesn't have any impact on the story and the various lockbox and C-Store items have no effect on the story outside of the people who want straight canon which is beyond impossible at this point.

Honestly, a C-Store ship armed with a Thalaron weapon is small beans compared to some of the other things we've had put on the C-Store or in Lock Boxes. If there's any giant breach of canon it's the Temporal Ships since they break the Temporal Prime Directive something fierce and in-universe that's far worse than, say, a single WMD on a ship.

Let's not take into consideration all the other little things in terms of flyable ships and such that have been added just to pad the bank. The way Star Trek works is no matter what Cryptic or anyone else does /someone/ will be disappointed, usually a large group of 'someones'. It's happened with every new series, every movie and it's happening with STO. Honestly, all you can do is either accept that 'canon' from a purist standpoint doesn't exist in this game and just turn your head and avoid thinking too hard on things like the Scimitar and such. Otherwise you'll just find yourself more and more disappointed due to your own standards.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2013

They (the countries that signed on, that is) banned chemical weapons for political reasons among the major powers. Over time, chemical weapons no longer had the same effectiveness against military targets that they once had. The cost versus effectiveness ratio turned against chemical weapons. About the only thing they were good for (from a purely military standpoint) was counter insurgency use (defoliants and small scale ordnance). So, signing these feel-good treaties were no skin off of the signatory states backs'. And it scored them brownie points at home.

And don't forget that there are plenty of nations that maintain chemical weapons in their arsenals. So, any type of "ban" is really just worth the paper it's printed on.

In any case, it's was just another lame attempt to make a dirty business (war) "clean". It's the same with thalaron weapons in the Star Trek universe.

As a Federation player, I could care less if the Republic deploys these weapons. As long as they point them at the right people, I'm cool with it. And I doubt D'Tan is stupid enough to use such weapons against a major power except out of self-defense. And I don't see the Federation or Klingon Empire invading anytime soon. We have our own problems to worry about without adding more by undermining the Romulan Republic.
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Research on thalaron weapons are forbidden in the federation. The romulan republic is not a part of the federation, but why would the federation tolerate an alliance with a race who has this kind of weapons?

So if the new scimitar has thalaron weapons, the alliance between federation and the romulan republic has to end or has to debate. These weapons are a risk for this alliance.

Tal Shiar infiltrators, thats got to be it, they are undermining New Rommie Sovereignty. It is all a conspiracy theory man, don't believe the rumors.

Comments made, are supported by the Tal Shiar Propaganda Association :D
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • wanderer89wanderer89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "Hello. This is Vica Admiral Dir Sonatra.

I hear my, "friends", in Starfleet are somewhat displeased by the use of Thalaron weapons on my vessel, the Kholairlha. Rather than argue over the morality of these weapons of mass destruction I will, gently remind Starfleet that a few years ago they violated the Treaty of Algeron to assist wanted criminal, Admiral Taris, by sending a cloaked vessel to her aid within Romulan Space.

Indeed. I am also reminded that Starfleet closest allies, the Vulcans refused to assist Romulus during the Hobus Incident leading the destruction of my homeworld meaning I stopped being a simple farmer and instead, an Admiral of a vast fleet.

If Starfleet still wishes to protest thanI would recommend they submit a formal complaint and follow proper channels. We are friends afterall, and should D'Tan and the leaders of Mol Rhiann deem Thalaron weapons... unnecessary, then of course I will bow to the will of the Romulan Republic.

In the meantime Starfleet, Jolan Tru"
    THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS TRYULIS
    Vice Admiral Dir Sonatra, I.R.W. Kholairlha, Scimitar Class Warbird
    Vice Admiral Oshin S'ree, USS Steamrunner, Steamrunner Class

TEN FORWARD FLEET
  • stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Research on thalaron weapons are forbidden in the federation. The romulan republic is not a part of the federation, but why would the federation tolerate an alliance with a race who has this kind of weapons?

So if the new scimitar has thalaron weapons, the alliance between federation and the romulan republic has to end or has to debate. These weapons are a risk for this alliance.

There is one quick and easy answer to this dilemma, dump the device in your bank and not use it at all. :P

Plausible deniability

Nuff Said :D
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would argue more that the ship will pollute our galaxy when they explode, till the alpha quadrant is unlivable.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    With the introduction of the Scimitars from the Zen store, we can now violate the laws! According to the Star Trek story line, Thalaron* Radiation and the use of it was banned! But, even Federation aligned Romulan characters can now use it if they purchase the 3 ship Scimitar pack from the Zen store. Thus proving that even the almighty Federation can be corrupted if the price is right!

Ok you rebels....go out and buy yourself an already SOP ship and get busy violating the laws!!
    What's next? Do we get a playable "Q" so we can kill our enemies with a snap of our fingers?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In before the merge
    GwaoHAD.png
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wanderer89 wrote: »
    "Hello. This is Vica Admiral Dir Sonatra.

I hear my, "friends", in Starfleet are somewhat displeased by the use of Thalaron weapons on my vessel, the Kholairlha. Rather than argue over the morality of these weapons of mass destruction I will, gently remind Starfleet that a few years ago they violated the Treaty of Algeron to assist wanted criminal, Admiral Taris, by sending a cloaked vessel to her aid within Romulan Space.

In the meantime Starfleet, Jolan Tru"

When the spoon did Starfleet send a 'cloaked vessel' to help Taris? The only time I can recall dealing with her on the Fed side is when I arrested her...
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As long as those monster Romulan boats show up at instances swarming with Borg Cubes, I could care less what they are armed with. You won't see me complain.
  • ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Antiproton was banned too, but everyone uses it so :P
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
    edited July 2013
    ajma420 wrote: »
    Antiproton was banned too, but everyone uses it so :P

And what imaginary source does that come from?
  • zarxidejackozarxidejacko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There should be 2 factions: KDF, FED, ROM confederation and Outlaws same races but KEAF, RSE and TE :) Then it will be ok for everyone :D
    2010 is my join date.