test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thalaron weapons: The end of the fed-romulan alliance?

Comments

• assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Research on thalaron weapons are forbidden in the federation. The romulan republic is not a part of the federation, but why would the federation tolerate an alliance with a race who has this kind of weapons?

So if the new scimitar has thalaron weapons, the alliance between federation and the romulan republic has to end or has to debate. These weapons are a risk for this alliance.

Naaaaah. Remember all those missions there you attack the evil Tal Shiar for messing with dangerous, dangerous Borg technology? Now we borgify our ships, use cutting beams etc. We can even use the Tal Shiar ships. We just need an accolade. Whoever equips his Scimitar with all 3 set consoles and the two Borg sets should get "Maximum Hypocrisy."
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    Naaaaah. Remember all those missions there you attack the evil Tal Shiar for messing with dangerous, dangerous Borg technology? Now we borgify our ships, use cutting beams etc. We can even use the Tal Shiar ships. We just need an accolade. Whoever equips his Scimitar with all 3 set consoles and the two Borg sets should get "Maximum Hypocrisy."

Please - i don't think there is 1 show/movie/franchise on screen that contradicts itself as much as Star Trek does.

Something they do in episode 114 - is now impossible and never been done by episode 119 - just because the plot calls for it.
  • wufangchuwufangchu Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I'll be overjoyed when the federation slinks away from the Romulan faction and climbs back into whatever dark little hole it climbed out of. I'm sick of your jealousy, sick of your pettiness and sick of your overbearing predilection to use Romulans to do your dirty work for you. Whether you approve of Thalaron or not is mute. We have it, and we are keeping it.. Go away.. Shoo!..
    wraith_zps7pzgamff.jpg
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok folks lets get technical shall we? the Khitomer Accords were the "geneva conventions" of STO Thaleron and Antiproton weapons were considered provocative and illegal under these accords. there were 3 parties to them, Fed, Klink and Rom.. well with war on all fronts and no real romulan govt. left.. these accords are null and void, antiproton weapons have been being used for some time, why complain about another radiation type?
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Well, Prime Directive means that they won't interfere (except through Section 31 of course) with the Romulan Republic.

That said, D'tan has free game with the Scimitar class, and by extension the Thalaron weapon IF, in the treaties he signed, there was no clause, paragraph, or section about them.

Or in other words: If the Federation and Klingon Empire didn't purposefully add in a bit about the RR 'not using, or researching the usage of Thalaron weaponry', then it's free game for em.

Now the Federation and Klingon Empire may not LIKE that D'tan will have usage of such weapons, but unless they feel like going to war about it (or using subterfuge, which will probably lead to war), then there isn't much that can be done by them.

The Federation and KDF are well aware about the Republic's use of Thalaron weapons. Heck, you get an episode where you get the option of arresting Obisek's minions if you are so inclined-specifically because he made the choice to acquire Thalaron weapons. The Federation and KDF would not be ignorant. I think it would be very reasonable to assume that they would tell D'Tan and Obisek to knock that stuff off if they wanted aid.
    Drizzt is still the best thing that ever happened to the Drow, despite being a pretty terrible character.

That said, the comparison to the RR is ridiculous, and I wish the people who hate the Republic would make up their minds rather or not they are "cuddly wuddly space Bajorans who don't resemble my beloved 2-dimensional mustache twirling villains AT ALL" or "edgyyyyyyy and that means bad because".

Missing the point. Cryptic is trying to have their cake and eat it too with LoR by having moralizing space elves who can't shut up about how oppressed they are by the evil Tal Shiar and how they really just want to be peaceful space elves all along and were just faking their well-established behavior from the shows. Meanwhile players get the most casual of nods towards Romulan cloak and dagger stuff-but don't worry kids! It's alright because we set your opponents up to be the most hilariously one dimensional generic evil bad guys ever! So people don't have to deal with bad feelings from having to make morally questionable decisions. Romulan Republic if anything, have fewer dimensions than the Romulan Star Emprie ever had.
    Who cares about Federation restrictions? Are they going to go to war over thalaron weapons? Probably not. If they did, they'd have gone to war with the Tal Shiar, Obisek, and that one colony that had a thalaron bomb powerful enough to wipe out their entire planet.

The weapons are already out there. We see them plenty of times. If they have to exist (and they do), I'm sure the Federation would rather they be in the hands of a democratic republic that is allied with them, and who will use them as a last resort, instead of proliferating among random colonists and terrorists.

Is sticking them on Scimitars left and right really a measure of 'last resort'? As for the Obisek thing, it really is just a failure of writing at hand here. When we first met Obisek, the players were given the choice of deciding for themselves if his ends justified the means. Even when you do end up grudgingly allying with him, it should be noted that he did not end up actually using the weapons, but held them in reserve as insurance. Now the Republic is apparently actively equipping its most powerful ships with a weapon of pain and terror, designed for sowing horrible death on a massive scale. That crosses a rather obvious line, as much as I'm sure Cryptic would like to sweep it all under the rug.
  • onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2013

That said, the comparison to the RR is ridiculous, and I wish the people who hate the Republic would make up their minds rather or not they are "cuddly wuddly space Bajorans who don't resemble my beloved 2-dimensional mustache twirling villains AT ALL" or "edgyyyyyyy and that means bad because".

This, so much this, make up your minds at the very least. Then i'll be able to disagree with you more easily :)
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    the scimitar was a reman ship. If anything, the new scimitar would be thought of as adapted from the reman resistance, much like how the Kar'fi was adapted from the fek'lkri or the Garumba is adapted from naussicans.
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    I posted 1 video - but there are thousands and tons of articles how Star Trek Contradicts itself sometimes as little as a few episodes apart.

Voltaire's song makes everything very clear - especially the last part:

And I say--
    Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish
    Thats the way we do things lad, we're making s**t up as we wish
    The Klingons and the Romulans pose no threat to us
    'Cause if we find we're in a bind we're totally screwed but nevermind--
    We'll pull something out of our behinds, we just make some s**t up
  • jimmyjames81196jimmyjames81196 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Remember the only allies the federation have are a sub faction of the Romulan empire they value there alliance or face doom so i think they could allow tholaron bases weapons under strict guidelines.

Just like the dominion war the Federation went to many lengths to survive.
  • ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    when they start issuing thalaron warp cores and weapons, then i'll care.

besides, the thalaron breath is an integral part of the scimitar. What do you think the devs would catch more heat for, taking it out, or leaving it in?
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Is sticking them on Scimitars left and right really a measure of 'last resort'? As for the Obisek thing, it really is just a failure of writing at hand here. When we first met Obisek, the players were given the choice of deciding for themselves if his ends justified the means. Even when you do end up grudgingly allying with him, it should be noted that he did not end up actually using the weapons, but held them in reserve as insurance. Now the Republic is apparently actively equipping its most powerful ships with a weapon of pain and terror, designed for sowing horrible death on a massive scale. That crosses a rather obvious line, as much as I'm sure Cryptic would like to sweep it all under the rug.

Think of it this way: How many ballistic missile submarines are there in the world? Now, how many are in NATO, Russian, Chinese, and US navies? And to make my point, how many SLBMs have been launched in anger or in retaliation? Again, I stand by my statement: Weapon of last resort with a No First Use policy attached to it.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ambassador the better question is why would the Romulans tolerate the Federation who have clearly been building weapons of mass destruction unparalleled in galactic history! Our intelligent have informed us of a weapons project known as the Genesis project capable of destroying whole planets for recolonization by the federation and you have the audacity to claim we are the villains? You have violated Romulan treaties and built cloaking devices made alliances with the Borg and now you condemn the Romulans who are only trying to protect our people with the most dire of measures. You sir are a hypocrite and I demand a public apology to the Romulan people for this outrage!:mad:

That said I think the Federation is more concerned about it being used on civilian targets than military ones but who knows.:)

may i point out. that the Genesis project as you call it was in fact not a weapon. but a means to transform a planet that there was no life on.
    edited July 2013
    a3001 wrote: »
    Think of it this way: How many ballistic missile submarines are there in the world? Now, how many are in NATO, Russian, Chinese, and US navies? And to make my point, how many SLBMs have been launched in anger or in retaliation? Again, I stand by my statement: Weapon of last resort with a No First Use policy attached to it.

You might have a point if the Thalaron weapon had no option to fire it, but it can obviously be used for combat, and is intended for use in combat. It isn't some sort of plot weapon floating around in the background of the story anymore like it was with the Obisek episodes. People will be using this. a lot. Hardly a 'last resort' cold war style situation if the only restriction on its use is a timer.
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    This, so much this, make up your minds at the very least. Then i'll be able to disagree with you more easily :)

Or you could just take the time to read the Reply literally right above your post where I all but spelled it out for the sake of some people who insist on misrepresenting ever position held by detractors of LoR.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Any starship can do that, you are just trying to put a moral line when morality comes down to "they will die painfully but my weapon is totally legit".

Just because the Romulan Republc have Thalaron weapons does not mean the first thing they will is test fire then Earth, its a weapon that have its uses ... in fact its a great Anti-Borg weapon and the only reason why the Federation does not use then is because of ****ty writing, I will call upon the Destiny Novels were you rather be Borged that use a weapon that kinda killed Data but still exists and because Geordie is the only engineer in the entire Starfleet.

The difference being that a Photon torpedo kills essentially instantly. the Thalaron weapon is by design a weapon that delivers a slow and painful death to its targets, and the version fitted to scimitars was specifically designed for targeting civilian populations. Every military application of the Thalaron weapon could be carried out just as well by fitting say...20-30 more photon torpedoes on the Scimitar.

Are you suggesting that the Thalaron weapon be disabled when fighting non-borg enemies? Because that is obviously not how this is going to work. The Thalaron weapon is worse than Varon-T disruptors-needlessly painful and slow, while giving no specifically obvious and immediate benefit over other forms of weaponry.
    edited July 2013
    You might have a point if the Thalaron weapon had no option to fire it, but it can obviously be used for combat, and is intended for use in combat.

It's not really that suitable nor practical for use as a combat weapon. For one, the Scimmy has to come to a complete stop and decloak for the arming process to begin. Secondly, The arming process takes a full 10-20 seconds before the weapon can fire. And finally, anyone who's smart enough can easily evade the blast zone. Therefore, I believe this weapon is more akin to a demolitionist's satchel charge or demolition charge, granted one that has a kiloton yield and spews out radiation but I digress.

• robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    darthorici wrote: »
    may i point out. that the Genesis project as you call it was in fact not a weapon. but a means to transform a planet that there was no life on.

But in can be used as a weapon as Khan proved
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    a3001 wrote: »
    It's not really that suitable nor practical for use as a combat weapon. For one, the Scimmy has to come to a complete stop and decloak for the arming process to begin. Secondly, The arming process takes a full 10-20 seconds before the weapon can fire. And finally, anyone who's smart enough can easily evade the blast zone. Therefore, I believe this weapon is more akin to a demolitionist's satchel charge or demolition charge, granted one that has a kiloton yield and spews out radiation but I digress.
    Thalaron weapons don't really damage non-living tissue. So I'm not convinced that their intended use is similar to a demolition charge-they are intended by design to be used against living targets. And if they are intended for out of combat purposes due to their limitations that you mentioned, that would raise the question of what they were intended for use against, if not combat ships. The conclusion I would draw from this is that they were for use against disabled targets (like the enterprise E) and civilian targets such as planets.

Now in the context of the game, the Thalaron weapon is obviously intended for purposes of combat. NPC's use it in such a manner, and the players are going to be given the option as well when it comes out. It is quite obviously, IMO intended for use against living targets, either military or civilian.
    robeasom wrote: »
    But in can be used as a weapon as Khan proved

In Klingon Academy, the Klingons were planning to use a modified one to destroy Earth, so there is a precedent for its use as a weapon. However, I don't think that was ever Starfleet's intention, and I don't think that Starfleet ever continued the program after seeing what it could do (at least not in the context of the shows or movies)
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    darthorici wrote: »

Indeed? and you expect the Romulan counsel to believe this.? If so then I must inform you that our Thalaron weapons are not really weapons they're really for large scale industrial herbicidal purposes so there is no reason for your federation to be concerned.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ambassador the better question is why would the Romulans tolerate the Federation who have clearly been building weapons of mass destruction unparalleled in galactic history! Our intelligent have informed us of a weapons project known as the Genesis project capable of destroying whole planets for recolonization by the federation and you have the audacity to claim we are the villains? You have violated Romulan treaties and built cloaking devices made alliances with the Borg and now you condemn the Romulans who are only trying to protect our people with the most dire of measures. You sir are a hypocrite and I demand a public apology to the Romulan people for this outrage!:mad:

Because the interstellar state formerly known as the Romulan Star Empire no longer exists, and what remains lacks the resources, will and legal standing to try and hold us to it. That said, the Federation's use of cloaking devices is limited to two ship classes only, as we value an openhanded posture in our dealings with the rest of the galaxy, and your intelligence is a bit dated, to say the least. Genesis was a terraforming program with unanticipated destructive potential, the research for which has been locked away ever since, tempted as I for one might be to see how well a Borg Unicomplex adapts to it, as a simple matter of Federation philosophy and in part as we cannot be certain just how much of the research the Klingon Empire might've recreated.

So in case it hasn't sunk in yet, I would very much caution the fledgling Romulan Republic from starting up an arms race we will all lose. You don't want to go scouting for another homeworld, do you?

(I'm so losing my diplomacy merit badge.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • sunfarersunfarer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    One could regard the Thalaron weapons equipped on the Falchions as the Romulan Republic's equivalent to the letters of last resort of the United Kingdom and the Vanguard ballistic submarines that house them. The weapons are given to the commanding officers of these ships with the expectation that they shall not be utilized, except under extreme circumstances. (The destruction of the U.K.)

Now, this is a game. And has been declared non-canon by CBS. This gives C a free hand with giving the Thalaron weapons to players, who would use them contently.

I could go to lengths explaining that the Federation and even the Klingons would be smart enough to have a similar countermeasure, but given Trek's lack of consistency and its idealism, it would be a lot of work for little gain.

Lastly, it allows me to make this joke.
    edited July 2013
    Likely they were a response to the Dominion that could just breed Jem'hadar in days, against a solo ship its not very useful but when looking at the Dominion military they certainly had practical uses.

Also development could have easily predated the Dominion War and was started as a response against the Borg, unless you are going to tell me a assimilated planet is a "civilian target".

I also would like to point out its hard to be a high horse when the initial response of the Federation to the Founder's Virus was ... let them die.

Are you sure? can they are useful against Australian wildlife because if they are I will take 20.
    Well first off, 'letting them die' is a far cry from 'deliberately using slow, flesh-melting radiation on defenseless targets' And the Founders were eventually cured, while the Romulan Republic here is apparently gung-ho for using the weapon designed to commit war crimes. I'd call it hypocrisy on the part of the Republic if I thought Cryptic was capable of writing the Republic to be that complex, but I'll wrte it off as 'bad writing' instead.

The motivations the RSE for using them on the Dominion are not applicable to the Republic, who in Cryptic's envisioning are cut from a wholly different cloth.
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Are you sure? can they are useful against Australian wildlife because if they are I will take 20.

Of course as a Romulan I'm the very model of truthfulness...what could possibly go wrong?>.><.<
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Because the interstellar state formerly known as the Romulan Star Empire no longer exists, and what remains lacks the resources, will and legal standing to try and hold us to it. That said, the Federation's use of cloaking devices is limited to two ship classes only, as we value an openhanded posture in our dealings with the rest of the galaxy, and your intelligence is a bit dated, to say the least. Genesis was a terraforming program with unanticipated destructive potential, the research for which has been locked away ever since, tempted as I for one might be to see how well a Borg Unicomplex adapts to it, as a simple matter of Federation philosophy and in part as we cannot be certain just how much of the research the Klingon Empire might've recreated.

So in case it hasn't sunk in yet, I would very much caution the fledgling Romulan Republic from starting up an arms race we will all lose. You don't want to go scouting for another homeworld, do you?

(I'm so losing my diplomacy merit badge.)

Hmm this is most troubling indeed then as the Romulan Republic has no legal standing in the federation I'm afraid any Thalaron treaties with the previous government are now void. This unfortunate event leaves us no long responsible for policing such weapons which I'm sorry to say may...unintentionally find their way into the hands of terrorist groups such as the True way.
    Now of course if you would be willing to make amendments to said treaties then of course we would be willing to listen....though some compromises on your part would be needed. Obviously to guarantee such weapons are safely protected from unacceptable parties we would have to store them on our ships...for the safety of all concerned*cough* . I'm sure we can come to an understanding , I would hate to see something unfortunate happen to the Federation over something so petty as legal standing.
    Oh by the way how is your family today all well and healthy yes?...Good good? just thought I'd ask these are troubling times you never know what can happen in these dark days.

(Applies void stamp to diplomacy merit badge void:P)
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    it's game with startrek genre, it has nothing to do with startrek itself and if the developers wish to do something differently, they may do so. get over it.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • lykumlykum Member Posts: 382
    edited July 2013
    Canon or not people will start accepting this as Star Trek fact. What does that do? STO already includes the destruction of Romulus into the storyline from the JJverse. People WILL eventually expect to see fleets of Scimitar type ships as the Romulan arc develops new canon ships for future movies and shows. It WILL influence what's canon and what isn't, because that's what people are already USED to.
    Lyndon Brewer: 20% chance to capture enemy ship for 60 seconds on successful use of boarding party.

cause sometimes its party time!
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Research on thalaron weapons are forbidden in the federation. The romulan republic is not a part of the federation, but why would the federation tolerate an alliance with a race who has this kind of weapons?

So if the new scimitar has thalaron weapons, the alliance between federation and the romulan republic has to end or has to debate. These weapons are a risk for this alliance.

Yup it just might be...but it's not forbidden to wipe out an entire peaceful science station based solely on the wild rantings of some demented admiral. :rolleyes:

Yup it just might be...but it's not forbidden to create a device that can totally destroy an old planets surface while building a new planet's surface in the ashes of the old. :rolleyes:

Yup it just might be...but it's not forbidden to deliver a deadly virus into a network of collective mentalities. :rolleyes:

Should we continue with the discussion about forbidden things? :P
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    Yup it just might be...but it's not forbidden to create a device that can totally destroy an old planets surface while building a new planet's surface in the ashes of the old. :rolleyes:

Actually, all knowledge of the Genesis Project became classified in Star Trek III; and it was a criminal offense to try and learn about it. 'Tis why McCoy was incarcerated and Kirk had to go bust him out.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • heero139heero139 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thalaron is banned by the federation. Its use is depicted as profoundly evil. In the current lore, the federation, romulan republic, and KDF all would (and do, as depicted on nimbus and other story missions) not allow anyone to use this weapon.

Yet players are getting it as a new toy.

The scimitar thalaron burst in ST: Nemesis was designed to destroy all life on earth. This is the weapon we are being given as a bonus to use in space combat. Regularly.

Why not give us VX gas and Sarin while we're at it? Maybe some planetary nuke stations so we can go commit genocide. This is what thalaron is for. This is the equivalent of making a WWII video game and creating a player faction which rounds up jews and puts them in gas chambers. ST: Ethnic cleansing, anyone?

I don't care about the game mechanic. It's a big cone attack that blows up ships. Just name it something else.

Thalaron radiation represents depravity at its most extreme. Giving this to players indicates apathy to the same degree. We're just getting some pretty green lights to shoot at things, even though its purpose is mass killing on a planetary scale.

Does Cryptic even care about the lore anymore?
    Zekkie@h33r0yuy
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    heero139 wrote: »
    Thalaron is banned by the federation. Its use is depicted as profoundly evil. In the current lore, the federation, romulan republic, and KDF all would (and do, as depicted on nimbus and other story missions) not allow anyone to use this weapon.

Yet players are getting it as a new toy.

The scimitar thalaron burst in ST: Nemesis was designed to destroy all life on earth. This is the weapon we are being given as a bonus to use in space combat. Regularly.

Why not give us VX gas and Sarin while we're at it? Maybe some planetary nuke stations so we can go commit genocide. This is what thalaron is for. This is the equivalent of making a WWII video game and creating a player faction which rounds up jews and puts them in gas chambers. ST: Ethnic cleansing, anyone?

I don't care about the game mechanic. It's a big cone attack that blows up ships. Just name it something else.

Thalaron radiation represents depravity at its most extreme. Giving this to players indicates apathy to the same degree. We're just getting some pretty green lights to shoot at things, even though its purpose is mass killing on a planetary scale.

Does Cryptic even care about the lore anymore?

This game continues to stray farther and farther away from "lore". It was only a matter of time before we receive a ship that can finally fulfill our need to have revenge at Donatra's assimilated Scimitar.

By the way, nice analogy, you are completely right.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited July 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=774121 we've been discussing this for some time now. would it be too high brow to ask for a merge?

• mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pity we can't use it to eliminate life on planets in STO. I would love to eliminate the Deferi and the Bajorans.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It has a 12 second charge time before it can fire. If this works anything like Donatra where it just sits there to get the TRIBBLE kicked out of it while it fires, I don't see this being used very often, if at all. Maybe in PvE, but again, sitting still for 12 seconds on an Elite STF is suicide in my opinion. I don't see this being used at all in PvP. It's too easy for some guy in a JHAS or some other escort to come up from behind and give the poor guy trying to use his new toy an epic TRIBBLE kicking. 12 seconds in PvP is enough time for some of these players to kill a Scimitar three times over. Now if it can move while it's charging the blast, there may be more of a reason to use it, but other than that, I don't see it being used very often. Will I be purchasing the set? Damn right I will, as soon as I get enough zen saved up anyway. My Romulan needs some love, and what better way to show it than to get him a brand new Dreadnought complete with all the bells and whistles and that new car smell.