test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Summer Event is Live! [Now Ended]

Comments

• sathidphoenixsathidphoenix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Anyone know if there's any use for excess pearls collected in the event? Or are they just inventory fillers?
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    icegavel wrote: »
    Uhm... Brandon... that's really dumb. Why make the limit shorter on the one thing people WANT, instead of having it go all the way?...
    It's not a dumb idea at all. It's brilliant. The idea is to encourage players to spend money (to get the Lobi). Nothing wrong with that. It's a company that's supposed to make a profit.

They are already being very generous offering all that they do in this game at no charge.

:cool:
    Anyone know if there's any use for excess pearls collected in the event? Or are they just inventory fillers?
    If they are like the Autographed 8x10" Q Pictures from last year's Winter Wonderland, then they are just inventory fillers.

:rolleyes:

Last year there was talk that they were going to do something with them (such as let us turn them in for GPL like the Winter Epohh Tags), but that never came to be, instead we could hold the Q Pics until the next Winter Wonderland and use them then. I'll presume the Pearls are going to be the same deal.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • trwarbucktrwarbuck Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If the Risa Summer Event ends on the 15th of August, why end the Flying High event on the 4th of August? That is just stupid. If you have obtained all of the accolades, obtained, sun glasses, beach and adventure wear, the stupid floral pack, the pet vanity birds, why go to Risa if not to still down the Flying High Event. Plus I know some players that won't have 1000 pearls by the 4th. Extend the Flying High Event until the 15th when the actual posted end date of the Risa Summer Event is advertised to end
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As I mentioned in the earlier post, it may be something that "needs" to be clearer in the game - not just outside the game.

Somebody looking at the project and then looking at the popup/calendar - could easily assume that since the project says during the event and the event runs through a certain date, that the project can be completed during that date. There's no distinction made inside the game that the project duration is shorter than the event duration.

Like I said previously as well, short of additional issues - I should have no issue completing the project before that aspect of the event concludes. However, I had honestly forgotten that the overall event ran through the 15th and thought the 15th was actually an extension to the project because of the numerous issues that have plagued the game so far during the event.

But still, in the future for such events - perhaps having the actual date the project can be run separate from the overall event would alleviate any such potential confusion...
  • ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The trick with reading things, is that you need to read (and comprehend) the whole thing. -SNIP-

Is there room for confusion? Yes. If you failed to read/comprehend all available information.
    Like the Winter Event to get the Breen ship, players have 35 days to earn the ship for free as long as they earn their 40 pearls for at least 25 of those days. Rather than have the summer event end at the end of those 35 days, we decided to have the actual event last longer so players could enjoy it and continue to earn the other rewards.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Are you not assuming knowledge here?

This is all very well if you know to look outside the game, or were around the game in the Winter. I'm relatively new to this and there are evidently plenty of people who have just joined, especially with LOR and the Risa event.

Answer me this, please: where within the game does it tell you that the Pearls-for-corvette event ends before the Risa event does?

How will newcomers and those who - shock horror - just play the game and don't read forums or blogs about the game, know that the Pearls event ends before the whole Risa event does?

I'm pointing this out now not so much because I will have a problem (although, who knows, events may yet conspire from preventing me from completing this one by August 4th), but because I could have, and clearly some people will have, without being any the wiser as to the cut-off date - and to save you guys a headache dealing with loads of complaints in a couple of weeks time by properly informing your consumers within the game, about this.
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • pwmayfairpwmayfair Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It ends when it ends so people who missed 10 days (12 now I guess) will hopefully buy keys for real money (as opposed to the exchange with EC) and blow the lobi from the lockboxes on pearls. Then have to go buy more keys because they temporarily forgot about that other cool ship that they were saving all their lobi in the first place.
  • dhamahrdhamahr Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As a new player I was just on Risa and noticed no bar. If Risa is a pleasure planet then why no bar. I mean relaxing in the sun is fun but the sun do make people thirsty. Maybe this Ferengi needs to build one for you all lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amedea66amedea66 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dhamahr wrote: »
    As a new player I was just on Risa and noticed no bar. If Risa is a pleasure planet then why no bar. I mean relaxing in the sun is fun but the sun do make people thirsty. Maybe this Ferengi needs to build one for you all lol!

It did stand out rather odd to me that there wasn't some sort of a restaurant or bar in the resort building. But if the talk I'm hearing about the event area becoming permanent, perhaps that'll be added on in a patch.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've done the math.

If I run the event every day from now until the end, I should be able to claim the ship on one character.

However, I already know I'm not likely to be able to do that. So I guess I hang on to the Pearls until next summer and hope the reward is the same or better.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • thenewtravelerthenewtraveler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Uhm... Brandon... that's really dumb. Why make the limit shorter on the one thing people WANT, instead of having it go all the way? Who on the dev team thought that was a good idea, and why did everyone let them decide this on the day they'd CLEARLY come in missing most of their brain?

Unfortunately,... you are SO right, icegavel! :P
    Here, as:
    Silviu-the-Medicthenewtraveler) for STF
    Irini Serenathetraveler82) for STF
    Iren Serenekthetraveler82) for RR
    Irhana de Orionisthetraveler82) for KDF
    edited July 2013
    It is kinda silly. To counter the enjoyment after getting the ship, we'd still be able to enjoy risa atter getting the ship, it just means others who didnt starr straight away or ones who couldnt log on every day will be able to get thiers too. I dont mind floating around while others are grinding pearls.

THANK YOU for your support, metalkoreking! That you understand my problem! :D:D:D And, I suspect, not only mine...
    Here, as:
    edited July 2013
    I've earned all of those rewards a hundred times over already. The event doesn't need to go longer without the grand prize. That's like staying at a football stadium for 12 hours after the game ends. How about you extend the grand prize until the 15th, and be kind to the people with LIVES that couldn't get the ship before the 4th. I've got it, but there are a lot of people that might not. No matter the reasoning, the decision smacks of being arbitrary.

Right AGAIN, icegavel! :D
    Here, as:
    edited July 2013
    As I mentioned in the earlier post, it may be something that "needs" to be clearer in the game - not just outside the game.

Somebody looking at the project and then looking at the popup/calendar - could easily assume that since the project says during the event and the event runs through a certain date, that the project can be completed during that date. There's no distinction made inside the game that the project duration is shorter than the event duration.

Like I said previously as well, short of additional issues - I should have no issue completing the project before that aspect of the event concludes. However, I had honestly forgotten that the overall event ran through the 15th and thought the 15th was actually an extension to the project because of the numerous issues that have plagued the game so far during the event.

But still, in the future for such events - perhaps having the actual date the project can be run separate from the overall event would alleviate any such potential confusion...

Indeed, there is this unclarity and unjust decision which makes us mad, virusdancer. And we can't understand WHY the 'devs' took this decision in the first place! O.o To encourage us to spend REAL money because they are too 'generous'? But why during a FREE type of Event?! Why playing so... dirty? Don't they gain enough money with the Zen ships? Or with the Lobi? Or with the Cryptic points? I think they do. Seriously now. :)
    Here, as:
    edited July 2013
    It's not a dumb idea at all. It's brilliant. The idea is to encourage players to spend money (to get the Lobi). Nothing wrong with that. It's a company that's supposed to make a profit.

They are already being very generous offering all that they do in this game at no charge.

:cool:

Uhm, lordhavelock, Cryptic DOES earn more than enough money with us. :) So,... you may be cool with that idea. :)
    Now, as I said before, they SHOULDN'T make us spend REAL money on those Risian corvettes just because they haven't got their fill with the Zen sehips, Lobi crystals and Cryptic points. Seriously now! I mean, it's a FREE Event, people! Let's NOT turn it into something we can... SPECULATE, as a company, okay? It's not nice. Actually, it's a shame.
    After all, I only asked of them to DECREASE the time allotted each day for the "Flying High" project. Nothing more, nothing less. And it would be a saving-face type of measure for Cryptic, from this point of view,... in my opinion, of course. I just hope that you, guys, are to see things my way, as well.

Thank you!
    Here, as:
    edited July 2013
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    ...Answer me this, please: where within the game does it tell you that the Pearls-for-corvette event ends before the Risa event does?
    I have to say, you got me. The game doesn't tell you that, the Lohlunat Summer Festival banner links to a Event pop-up that puts the date range 06/27-08/15. It doesn't say anthing about the Corvette, though either.

That being said, as a Player I did get an official e-mail from STO which linked me to this page, which does explain about the dates.

Also, in the post of mine you are quoting, I was refuting player claims against a Blog Posts, not about reading comprehension in-game. So while I'll agree with you, there could be better in-game explaination, I have no sympathy for people who visit STO's website, blogs, and forums.

:o

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just a reminder since some still don't understand.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=928221
    Our summer event runs from now until server maintenance on Thursday, August 15, 2013,....
    Remember! Captains who participate in the "Flying High!" event 25 times before August 2nd, 2013 (35 days from the start of the event) will glide their way to a FREE Risian corvette starship!.........the new end date has been moved from August 2nd to August 4th, 2013 at noon PDT.

I don't understand how people can confuse the end date for Flying High event with the end date of the rest of the event.
    edited July 2013
    ...Now, as I said before, they SHOULDN'T make us spend REAL money on those Risian corvettes just because they haven't got their fill with the Zen sehips, Lobi crystals and Cryptic points. Seriously now! I mean, it's a FREE Event...
    They aren't "making" you do anything. It's all voluntary. Every player had the same opportunity to earn the ship for free. 35 chances to make 25 runs. And then they expanded it two more days to cover for a bug they fixed.

It's a FREE game, but anyone who thinks Cryptic doesn't take every opportunity possible to make a buck is naive. One way they do that is by spreading around the ways they make money, to keep it fresh, so no one sales pitch gets boring. Also, one sales method might work for some people, another method might work on others. So yeah, they'll use Zen, Lobi, Lockboxes, Dilithium, Events, etc. and cycle through it.

Making money while offering things for gratis is one of the oldest marketing tools in the world. It's not shameful. It's business.

:rolleyes:

edited July 2013
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    Answer me this, please: where within the game does it tell you that the Pearls-for-corvette event ends before the Risa event does?

How will newcomers and those who - shock horror - just play the game and don't read forums or blogs about the game, know that the Pearls event ends before the whole Risa event does?
    I have to say, you got me. The game doesn't tell you that, the Lohlunat Summer Festival banner links to a Event pop-up that puts the date range 06/27-08/15. It doesn't say anthing about the Corvette, though either

I've noticed that the banner link has changed so that people are informed, which is a positive response and thanks - however this is something that a lot of people will have already clicked and read what was there and will not bother doing so again.

I therefore hope (or ask) that you have other methods in place, such as messages across the screen at log-in over the coming week, or when people get to Risa, acting as a countdown reminder - in other words something that cannot be missed.
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
    edited July 2013
    Again, PLEASE give us some more time. Summer doesn't end until the end of August, and many people had summer events of their own in real life that affected their ability to get in on the event. Not everyone can get on every day.

Please consider it? Thanks.

I think it is clear that the Corvette event on Risa is not going to be extended any further than it already has. The most we can hope for is that this Risa map stays after the 15th and maybe a few fun things to do there, maybe for GPL instead of favors - or perhaps, dare I say, for fun? :eek:
    Website
    Discord
  • alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They MUST give us more time to the whole Event.

The last "patch" they released 25/7 BROKE the game for many who now cannot play at all.

It's wrong we cannot partecipate and win the prizes like the luckier ones.

It's been DAYS now,

and altough a ten topics from several users and many more complaining,

they did not said a word IF

they are aware of the problem, if they are working on it, if they know how to solve it, if they are able to do so in time and IF they will remedy for lost time and how.

It's a lot of IFs, a lot of questions, and until they are solved we can only doubt if they care or, according to many precedents, don't give damn about it.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • kirahitomikirahitomi Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can we get a Dev response on whether or not the Risa lobi vendor will be available after the 4th to allow people who joined the event late to finish getting the Risa corvette through the Pearl boxes.
    "Lets see what this button does..."
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    if i undestand the tribble notes correctly the lobi to pearls are supposed to expire at the end of next month along with the lobi to favors
    edited July 2013
    Which set of notes, not finding them atm.
    edited July 2013
    Can't presently find the afore mentioned notes, there a Dev available to answer my previously asked question about the pearl vendor on Risa?
  • snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    look in the july 26 notes i think it mentens it in those notes

edit: its in the augest 1st holodeck patchnotes now
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    snip

This is off topic and I apologize.

But Taco, I love your signature :D

Words to live by ! Cheers to the forum poster who posted it initially !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited August 2013
    Edit: Nevermind, I misread the post I was responding to. Sorry.

• pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2013
    As announced in the recent State of the Game article, we will be extending the time needed to get pearls by a couple of days for those who may have missed a day -- the new end date has been moved from August 2nd to August 4th, 2013 at noon PDT.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Small update! The end date and time to earn free pearls is moving from this Sunday at noon PDT to Monday, August 5th, 2013 at 10AM PDT -- just under 24 extra hours! Enjoy!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.