What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Summer Event is Live! [Now Ended]

Comments

• Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I'm confused. Why are you letting a mail bug prevent you from playing an unrelated part of the game to win a pretty nifty prize?

If he logs in, the game deletes all his mail over the 100 message cap, including all the items.

As long as he doesn't log in, those mails are safe.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I'm guessing we'll see floaters again. But I expect that if that's the case, they will be in certain maps that are intended for them.

I'd actually like to see some missions for getting fleet marks where you have the atmosphere based mission/risa where you use bops for a raiding type mission :)
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm confused. Why are you letting a mail bug prevent you from playing an unrelated part of the game to win a pretty nifty prize?

Based on TOTAL lack of information from OFFICIAL sources, it's been speculated that updating the game is removing the mail items from the game clients, and as of my last login ALL of my mail was still intact, and as NO OFFICIAL word from PWE or Cryptic when we expect to have a fix to the mail system and UNTIL I see posted from players that the lost attachments are being returned I CANNOT afford to take the chance that my attachments will vanish from the mail system without appropriate compensation for those items.

The 'nifty' prize isn't worth the risk of losing my stuff nor is it anything other than a novelty item for any of my toons. The loss of my contributions to my fleet may be something the fleet may have trouble accepting, and could affect others participation in this game.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Based on TOTAL lack of information from OFFICIAL sources...
    I'm sorry LordMalak, but you are WRONG (emphasis added to counter your emphasis :P).

The Devs have posted at least three times about the missing mail:
    "Volunteer mod". They have no inside information, so are just providing their own personal opinion (as described in their signature).

Let me make this clear: This (missing mail) is 100% not intended and is a bug.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    Brandon is actually directly responding to you in this one, and he CLEARLY states that the missing items was caused by a bug, and not intended. This next one, from flyingtarg, has details on what the problem is, and says that we'll get our items back:
    flyingtarg wrote: »
    Hey guys, we have an update on this issue for you.

We're still conducting our investigation, but the mailed items that players are reporting are missing still exist in the database, and we will work to get them back in your mail as soon as possible.

This patch introduced an update of our player-to-player mail to a new mail system. As a part of this update, all player-to-player mail had to be transferred over to this system. For most players, this transfer worked as expected, and they should see no change in their mail.

However, for players with a very, very large amount of items in player-to-player mail, this migration failed due to unforeseen technicalities, causing the mail (But not the items in the mail, as they are stored separately from the mail) to be lost. Because the items still exist, we will be able to have them mailed to you, and we'll work to make sure that these items are returned to you as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause in the meantime.
    In the third, Brandon updates that the Devs are still working to resolve the bug and even provides an estimated time that we'll see the fix:
    Re: missing items from mail--

The team is still working getting the items back to you, but it won't be today. Hopefully with the next weekly maintenance, but that could change...

:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I see people wailing from the rafters, complaining like it's the end of all things, and passing-on bad information and speculation.

Do I think Cryptic failed. Absolutely. On two counts:

For whatever reason they decided to proceed with an unreported update. I hate stealth changes. It's vital that your customer is kept In The Know.

There was a bug. These are to be expected, mistakes happen, but to not catch it in testing and/or to not have a proper roll-back contingency/back-up to restore is just Bad Practice.

But hey... Those of us (including you, LordMalak) that have been here long enough, know Cryptic (and many other software/gaming companies)... This sort of Fail Mode Engaged is how they roll, from time-to-time. Other times, most times, they do/make great stuff. As a song once said... You take the good, you take the bad... it's just the facts of life. lol

As for being worried about your stuff, and not logging on because of your fear of losing it... I suppose I can understand your thinking. But I can't help feel it's not justified.

They've already said we're to get our lost stuff back. You either trust them or not. If you trust them, log on, have fun, get your mail stuff when the bug is squashed. I mean it might take a while until it's fixed, but since you're willing to not log on, you're not able to get your stuff now anyway.... Might as well have fun playing the game while you wait.

If you don't trust them, then why are you even playing the game (giving them your time, information, possibly money, etc.)?

Personally I'm having a fantastic time with the Summer Event, and I hate to hear that someone is missing out due to (in my likely crappy opinion :D) unfounded paranoia.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    NO, I don't trust them.

Bran ONLY replied when an undocumented change to the mail system made attachments vanish, MANY attachments. And again responded to clarify that something unintended happened when the devs made an undocumented change to the mail system, and are supposedly working on a solution. EVERY post (all 3 of them since LoR launch) concerning the undocumented mail system changes occurred AFTER the system failed because of the changes.

You've been here about as long as I have, and yet you still think they don't stretch the truth a bit , or outright lie ? ALL of us (including you) are STILL waiting for an admission they they have actually put a limit of 100 items into the mail system, or are you so enamored by their freebie ship bribe to remember.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Since we're getting too far off topic about the Summer Event, I've replied to you here.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm sorry LordMalak, but you are WRONG (emphasis added to counter your emphasis :P).

The Devs have posted at least three times about the missing mail:

Brandon is actually directly responding to you in this one, and he CLEARLY states that the missing items was caused by a bug, and not intended.

I want to be sure you read my post that Bran responded to, he responded to MAKE IT CLEAR the mods assertion that mail items in excess of the new limit could be be arbitrarily deleted, did not happen.

It was damage control for the mods assumption that deletion could happen again, not to be apologetic for a mistake in programming. You understand the difference, right ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Overall, I'm very impressed by the look of the island. It's big, and there's a lot of exploration available. Just a wonderful design job.

I'm not going to bother going after the ship. The requirements are ludicrous.

No swimsuits. My enthusiasm is killed. Well, I'll wander around a bit more with a couple characters, but that's just because I like the look of the place so much. The event really isn't worth my time, outside of that.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Here's a cool picture I took of my character Pym floating over the island with the Risian sunrise in the background.

http://i.imgur.com/OBnoYGw.jpg

Beautiful!

• Options
    pwylepwyle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    EXCESS EGGS ISSUE
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Also, the Tropical bird tradein needs an option for trading in the eggs, unless the Ornithologist is staying past the event deadline. If you're doing the Horga'hn hunt multiple times a day on one character, you'll have more eggs than you can hatch. (Just one every 24 hours.)
    I 100% agree.

I can understand not wanting these eggs to be transferable between characters. That could result in mark farming to excessive proportions. However, perhaps let us trade excess eggs for a few ECs or perhaps some Risian themed DOffs or even some GPL (anything really).

Failing that, can we make a huge OMELETTE on the last day of the event? ;)

EDIT: I'd also like to add that Risa is damned impressive! Well done! More to the point, THANKYOU! :D
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    pwyle wrote: »
    EXCESS EGGS ISSUE

...perhaps let us trade excess eggs for a few ECs or perhaps some Risian themed DOffs or even some GPL (anything really)...
    It's funny the Feast or Famine nature of the Eggs. I'm running the hunt on several characters multiple times a day (anywhere from 8-16 total hunts spread over those toons). On my main, he's been able to Hatch an Egg every day, and still has 20 Eggs in his Inventory. 2-3 of my toons have only a couple extras, and I've got 4 other characters that have no spare Eggs and have only been able to hatch about every other day (and since they're Egg short, they get run the most).

Anyway, during the Winter Wonderland, we got Snow Tags for "breeding" Winter Epohhs, and those were so much easier to get (I had 100s even after all the breeding). After the Event they did put the Snow Tags in a vendor so we could sell them for GPL.

I hope they do the same with the Eggs (although I wonder why that option doesn't already exist).

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2013
    As announced in the recent State of the Game article, we will be extending the time needed to get pearls by a couple of days for those who may have missed a day -- the new end date has been moved from August 2nd to August 4th, 2013 at noon PDT.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As announced in the recent State of the Game article, we will be extending the time needed to get pearls by a couple of days for those who may have missed a day -- the new end date has been moved from August 2nd to August 4th, 2013 at noon PDT.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Why is it that every time I realize I'm going to be 1 day short and subsequently give up, this stuff gets extended? :(

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Why is it that every time I realize I'm going to be 1 day short and subsequently give up, this stuff gets extended? :(

As a famous captain would say: "Never give up. Never surrender!" :rolleyes:

Nah, I'm feelin' ya. I'm happy they extended it. But the best thing would be if they never ever again tries to implement huge game breaking patches during time limited events like this ever again.
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pwyle wrote: »
    EXCESS EGGS ISSUE
    I 100% agree.

I can understand not wanting these eggs to be transferable between characters. That could result in mark farming to excessive proportions. However, perhaps let us trade excess eggs for a few ECs or perhaps some Risian themed DOffs or even some GPL (anything really).

Failing that, can we make a huge OMELETTE on the last day of the event? ;)

EDIT: I'd also like to add that Risa is damned impressive! Well done! More to the point, THANKYOU! :D

Maybe we could feed the eggs to our tribbles?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You realize that the date listed in game for the event is June 27, 1:00 PM through August 15, 3:00 PM...

...some people thought the event had already been extended to the 15th because of various issues the game has had.

If they didn't happen to see this thread or post, they'd have no idea that they only have through the 4th...

In the rep project, it states:

Claim a Risian Corvette
    Exchange 1000 Risian Lohlunat Pearls to receive your very own Risian Corvette starship!

Earn Risian Lohlunat Perals by completing the floater challenge on Risa, during the Summer Event.

If you hail Starfleet/KDF/Rom/whatever - bring up the missions window - there is the banner for the Lohlunat Summer Festival on the left side. Click that, it brings up the following...

Event: Lohlunat Summer Festival

Lohlunat Summer Festival
    #118,241

June 27, 1:00pm - August 15, 3:00pm
    In Progress

Enjoy the tropical beaches of Risa!

Risa has opened its beaches to all comers for a seasonal celebration!

If you open the calendar, it shows the festival running through the 15th as well.

Personally, I should still be able to get it done - even with the numerous issues STO has experienced since it started...as long as there are not as many issues during the remaining time through the 4th...

...but there are going to be some pissed off folks that thought it was through the 15th.
  • Options
    aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Um...Bran...you may want to fix the event overview in-game, then, because it says the event ends on August 16th.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well that makes no dam scene what so ever. So let me understand this correctly . At 40 thingies to reach 1000 thingies for this " item" ( 1000 divided by 40 gives the the figure of 25 days). Then 25 days out form that date( 2 Aug 2013). It all equals, if you did not start as of the 7th of July you are just wasting your time, But the silly Risa Fun land TRIBBLE goes on until the 15th of august. Are we safe to expect this kind if nonsense in December. For people who don't live in front of a computer and play STO 24\7.
  • Options
    noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hey Brandon, do us a favor and read Dev Blog #25 and I quote :

"During the special Lohlunat festival event, captains of all kinds can visit Risa ? to celebrate their culture?s welcoming diversity, the Risians have even negotiated special access for members of the Klingon Defense Force. The Risians will open their event on a new resort island starting at around 10AM PDT on Thursday, June 27, and the festivities will last until server maintenance on Thursday, August 15. To enjoy this event, head to Risa in the Sirius Sector Block, or transwarp there by selecting the event in your Mission Journal?s calendar. KDF captains can head to the borders of the Sirius Sector Block from any adjoining sector and receive special permission to warp directly to the Risa system. Once you arrive, beam down to the planet and join the party!"

What do we read in bold : 15th Of August. With other words, don't dare to stop the event sooner as mentioned date.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    noshuffle wrote: »
    Hey Brandon, do us a favor and read Dev Blog #25 and I quote :

"During the special Lohlunat festival event, captains of all kinds can visit Risa ? to celebrate their culture?s welcoming diversity, the Risians have even negotiated special access for members of the Klingon Defense Force. The Risians will open their event on a new resort island starting at around 10AM PDT on Thursday, June 27, and the festivities will last until server maintenance on Thursday, August 15. To enjoy this event, head to Risa in the Sirius Sector Block, or transwarp there by selecting the event in your Mission Journal?s calendar. KDF captains can head to the borders of the Sirius Sector Block from any adjoining sector and receive special permission to warp directly to the Risa system. Once you arrive, beam down to the planet and join the party!"

What do we read in bold : 15th Of August. With other words, don't dare to stop the event sooner as mentioned date.

The Summer event as a whole ends August the 15th, that's been said since the beginning and hasn't changed, afaik.

However, the Risian Corvette pearl dailies were stated to be available from the beginning of the event to August the 2nd, now extended to August the 4th.

The availability of the Risian Corvette has always been (and stays) more limited than the event itself.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    The Summer event as a whole ends August the 15th, that's been said since the beginning and hasn't changed, afaik.

However, the Risian Corvette pearl dailies were stated to be available from the beginning of the event to August the 2nd, now extended to August the 4th.

The availability of the Risian Corvette has always been (and stays) more limited than the event itself.

This is a distinction that, I for one did not realise or appreciate, and I very much doubt that I am alone.

When you see that an event is arranged for between two dates, you are quite likely to assume that things going on at the event are going to be there for the full duration of it.

I predict a backlash come August 5th with people going to Risa to try and finish getting their Corvette and finding out that the event is on but the Corvette is no longer part of it.

After all, does everyone using STO read the forums? Don't you think they'll be confused?
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    This is a distinction that, I for one did not realise or appreciate, and I very much doubt that I am alone.

When you see that an event is arranged for between two dates, you are quite likely to assume that things going on at the event are going to be there for the full duration of it.

I predict a backlash come August 5th with people going to Risa to try and finish getting their Corvette and finding out that the event is on but the Corvette is no longer part of it.

After all, does everyone using STO read the forums? Don't you think they'll be confused?

Yes. It was an unfortunate choice and probably a very bad decision.

On the other hand, I think they just made some 'wiggling room' for other possible extensions of the Pearl daily availability.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    noshuffle wrote: »
    Hey Brandon, do us a favor and read Dev Blog #25... What do we read in bold : 15th Of August. With other words, don't dare to stop the event sooner as mentioned date.
    The trick with reading things, is that you need to read (and comprehend) the whole thing. Further down in the very same DB#25 it reads:

Collect a thousand pearls and you can exchange them for the Risian corvette! More details... will be posted in a Dev Blog tomorrow.

The "tomorrow" blog referred to is DB#26, which very specifically spells out:

Although the Risian Lohlunat Summer Festival will continue to be available well into August, Lohlunat Pearls will only be offered as a reward from "Flying High!" for a total of 35 days, starting June 27th and running until August 2nd. During this time, players will need to participate 25 times in order to earn their FREE Starship.

Additional Risian Lohlunat Pearls can also be acquired from the Lobi Store... Although this is a large investment in Lobi Crystals...

The "more details blog" clearly states that you have 35 days to run the daily mission 25 times to get the free ship. It also advises of a convenient (albeit expensive) method to get additional Pearls if a player decides they don't want to grind/wait or otherwise don't get enough from the daily.

And before you complain about unfair practices, consider this is a Free-to-Play game. It doesn't cost you anything to enjoy the product. You do not have to spend a dime. There are many ships in-game a player can get for free with no effort other than leveling-up. That being said, it does cost money to keep the severs running and pay for developers, so they do provide many ways for their players to spend money. They even encourage you to do so, of course.

It is very common practice in sales to release info a little at a time to generate anticipation and to keep your attention - the marketing idea being that this "buzz" increases the likelihood that a customer will spend their cash.

Is there room for confusion? Yes. If you failed to read/comprehend all available information.

Welcome to capitalism.

Besides, some people like the Lobi shortcut (I saw people showing off their Corvette on the first day of the Event :rolleyes:). And Cryptic is happy to cater to these folk.
    ...Are we safe to expect this kind if nonsense in December...
    It's not actually nonsense at all, see above, but yes, you can expect exactly this in December, too. Assuming past-events dictate the future.

During the 2012 Winter Wonderland, the "free" Breen Ship cost 1,000 Autographed 8x10 Glossy Picture of Q. You could get 40/day via the Fastest Game on Ice mission. There was a similar deal where you had ~35 days to run the daily 25 times, or purchase additional Pictures via the Lobi Store.

You'll find in life that "Free" rarely actually is without cost.

:cool:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Accidental double-post, please delete.

• Options
    thenewtravelerthenewtraveler Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Greetings (again...), dear 'STO-ers'! :)

Allow me to start it kind of abruptly, please. I, for one, am a dedicated player here.
    I mean, I already have 2 accounts, where my 1st has all of the 3 characters well customized, and the 2nd account... it's only for Feds; 1 character there.
    Now, as my 1st account KDF character is concerned, I am at 40% with my Risian Corvette; the STF, and the RRF are, each, at...28%, I think. As for my 2nd account, my Sci Fed there is 'pretty new' (4 days old!) and I'm at 0% (zero!) with him on the Risian 'matter'.
    My issue here? Please, STO 'devs', *please* allow us to run the "Flying High" competition every 5 (five) hours! It would give us, 'the Delayed Ones', the necessary time to actually *complete* our own... petty competitions and *enjoy* our 'summery' prizes, and feel that... our weeks and/or months of (sometimes, severe) sleep deprivation - because of this Event - have NOT been in vain!...

P.S. I would very much like for my fellow 'STO-ers' here to support me. It would be in *your* direct advantage, people! Please, support this! Make more noise! Do... something!

Thank you, in advance!
    Here, as:
    Silviu-the-Medicthenewtraveler) for STF
    Irini Serenathetraveler82) for STF
    Iren Serenekthetraveler82) for RR
    Irhana de Orionisthetraveler82) for KDF
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    toiva wrote: »

Just to confirm, this ----^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just to confirm, this ----^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Uhm... Brandon... that's really dumb. Why make the limit shorter on the one thing people WANT, instead of having it go all the way? Who on the dev team thought that was a good idea, and why did everyone let them decide this on the day they'd CLEARLY come in missing most of their brain?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    icegavel wrote: »
    Uhm... Brandon... that's really dumb. Why make the limit shorter on the one thing people WANT, instead of having it go all the way? Who on the dev team thought that was a good idea, and why did everyone let them decide this on the day they'd CLEARLY come in missing most of their brain?

Like the Winter Event to get the Breen ship, players have 35 days to earn the ship for free as long as they earn their 40 pearls for at least 25 of those days. Rather than have the summer event end at the end of those 35 days, we decided to have the actual event last longer so players could enjoy it and continue to earn the other rewards.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Like the Winter Event to get the Breen ship, players have 35 days to earn the ship for free as long as they earn their 40 pearls for at least 25 of those days. Rather than have the summer event end at the end of those 35 days, we decided to have the actual event last longer so players could enjoy it and continue to earn the other rewards.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I've earned all of those rewards a hundred times over already. The event doesn't need to go longer without the grand prize. That's like staying at a football stadium for 12 hours after the game ends. How about you extend the grand prize until the 15th, and be kind to the people with LIVES that couldn't get the ship before the 4th. I've got it, but there are a lot of people that might not. No matter the reasoning, the decision smacks of being arbitrary.
  • Options
    metalkorekingmetalkoreking Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is kinda silly. To counter the enjoyment after getting the ship, we'd still be able to enjoy risa atter getting the ship, it just means others who didnt starr straight away or ones who couldnt log on every day will be able to get thiers too. I dont mind floating around while others are grinding pearls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.