test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No Exchange on Fleet Starbases

khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
Only thread I can find about this is closed and didn't actually reach a conclusion so I thought I'd start up a new one.

Is the exclusion of an Exchange terminal on Fleet Starbases an oversight? I mean, with mail at tier 1 and bank at tier 2, it seemed only logical to assume that at tier 3 we'd get access to the exchange, but alas there is no mention of it on any tier.

I'm really hoping this is an oversight as it is what we're missing to make our Fleet Starbase the central hub of our activity.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• admiraljt#1430 admiraljt Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For some reason I remember seeing the Exchange terminal during the testing on Tribble. I don't understand why there isn't an exchange on the Fleet bases.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, surprised it's not an unlocked ability, or least a dual unlocked ability when you unlock the Embassy's Exchange console.

Perhaps they are saving it for a limited time offer or a special project?
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I remember that thread.

I think the Exchange on the Embassy is kind of meant to be their 'answer' for that.

If memory serves, and hopefully it does, part of the conclusions reached in that thread was that apparently there was no exchange to prevent starbases from becoming the only 'hub' people need, which I felt was silly and over the top anyways. I mean, if that happened to be true, then there would need to be heaps of Foundry missions starting there, the Academy dailies able to be done there, it'd need a crafting station, and much much more.

Even then, that would still probably only really be for those fleets with a tier 5 starbase, which there won't ever be that many of.

So yeah, there's not really a good reason I think for it not to have an Exchange, I'd personally love it. But, until that happens, I'll keep using my Tuffli outside of the SB.

Btw, Tuffli, every fleet should have a member who owns one of these, SO worth it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If that's the case, the logic is flawed. A base needs these three things, in my opinion, to be worth my using it as a base:

1. Bank
    2. Exchange
    3. Consumable vendors (mostly to sell vendor trash at 50%)

That's minimum I need to drop loot and clear my inventory. Otherwise, why waste my time? Our Fleet starbase, despite hundreds of active and semi-active members, is generally deserted for this reason. People come to hit the commendation reports console, maybe the Officer of the Watch if they feel like it, or if they want something from the fleet stores. That's it. Nobody goes there in the course of normal play, which defeats the entire purpose of it being a fleet social zone. Why go there when you can just transwarp to Sol or fly over to K-7 and get everything you need? Hell, if you have enough diplomacy CXP you can transwarp straight to K-7.

As for using the Exchange on the embassy, that sucks too. Even after you unlock the shuttle connection between the two, you're still talking about needing a map transfer just to get to an Exchange. Why bother?

As it stands, the only reason I go to the Fleet starbase every day is because it's the easiest way to get to New Romulus. (TW to starbase, fly to transwarp gate, TW to Gateway system, fly up and warp to Tau Dewa).
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Another thing that is needed on either Romulus or te starbase is the veteran dilithium doff assignment.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • gbehlpnu2012gbehlpnu2012 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I remember that thread.

I think the Exchange on the Embassy is kind of meant to be their 'answer' for that.

If memory serves, and hopefully it does, part of the conclusions reached in that thread was that apparently there was no exchange to prevent starbases from becoming the only 'hub' people need, which I felt was silly and over the top anyways. I mean, if that happened to be true, then there would need to be heaps of Foundry missions starting there, the Academy dailies able to be done there, it'd need a crafting station, and much much more.

Even then, that would still probably only really be for those fleets with a tier 5 starbase, which there won't ever be that many of.

So yeah, there's not really a good reason I think for it not to have an Exchange, I'd personally love it. But, until that happens, I'll keep using my Tuffli outside of the SB.

Btw, Tuffli, every fleet should have a member who owns one of these, SO worth it.

Having an exchange at the Embassy is TRIBBLE, WHY? Because you can go right outside and head to the exchange at base camp! I don't see why it would be sooo hard to add an exchange to fleet starbases. The dev's easily added an exchange at Q's Winter Wonderland quite easily when they added the mini-Q. I think this is just another of the details that have fallen by the wayside. But that's what happens when your focus is leveraging maximum profits from your victims vs creating content that makes sense.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Does the presence of other social zones that provide an exchange like DS9, K-7, Starbase 39, Drozana and New Romulus cause ESD to be deserted? No. Because there are still unique things to do in Sol that can't be done elsewhere. The Academy is there, obviously. Couple things to do there (lore daily, Academy event, vet. dilithium refinement). ESD itself offers Boff training which isn't offered anywhere else. There's also the fact that everybody can transwarp there even if you're not in a fleet and have 0 diplomacy CXP. There will always be people there.

Ultimately, people will just use whichever one is convenient for their general loot dropping and resupply. If they're in Beta Ursae, they'll go to DS9. If in Sirius, to ESD. If in Tau Dewa, to New Romulus. Fleet members have the option to TW to their own starbase from anywhere, but it puts your TW on cooldown and maybe doesn't have some other particular thing you need to do. This notion that all other social zones will be abandoned is just reduction to the absurd. People said the same thing about DS9 before S7 came out and, well, it's still as crowded as ever.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    If that's the case, the logic is flawed. A base needs these three things, in my opinion, to be worth my using it as a base:

1. Bank
    2. Exchange
    3. Consumable vendors (mostly to sell vendor trash at 50%)

That's minimum I need to drop loot and clear my inventory. Otherwise, why waste my time?
    (TW to starbase, fly to transwarp gate, TW to Gateway system, fly up and warp to Tau Dewa).

Yeah exactly, these are the 'most used' things on a daily basis so by not having them on fleet bases they are kind of undermining the whole point in the fleet bases. Btw, what tier transwarp gate do you need to be able to transwarp to the gateway system? I can't ever seem to find a list of what locations open up at each tier.
    Having an exchange at the Embassy is TRIBBLE, WHY? Because you can go right outside and head to the exchange at base camp! I don't see why it would be sooo hard to add an exchange to fleet starbases. The dev's easily added an exchange at Q's Winter Wonderland quite easily when they added the mini-Q. I think this is just another of the details that have fallen by the wayside. But that's what happens when your focus is leveraging maximum profits from your victims vs creating content that makes sense.

I agree completely, they don't bother putting one on our starbases, but then if you have an embassy on New Romulus you get two within a few hundred metres of each other. What's the logic in that?
    In my opinion, they need to keep an exchange out of the fleet holdings. There needs to be SOME mechanic that remains exclusive to the social zones, otherwise nobody would have reason to go there. Everyone in a fleet would just be sequestered away in their instanced starbases and then people will start complaining about STO being a ghost town.

That's just my opinion. Whine enough about it and they'll probably give it to you.

Your logic is flawed mate, they already grant you access to comm codes to call in a freighter after your first mission, meaning that once every two hours you can call it in and access commodities, exchange, bank and mail etc without having to go to a hub. Not to mention the many many locations throughout sector space where these things are already located, then add in the Tuffli freighters. Yet ESD, DS9, Qo'nos etc are all still packed with people.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • selraxxxselraxxx Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Personally I felt the Starbases should have had Mail, bank, exchange functionality from the start.

Also wished they (and various systems ) had some sort of production-trade value. In other words perhaps mining the local belt for minerals, agricultural production, etc or simply offering differing commodities at different values based on completed projects and allowing other captains to dock and trade their surplus for ours.

Anyone remember Tradewars?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    selraxxx wrote: »
    Anyone remember Tradewars?

It's still around, Google it. ;)
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, please add exchange access. It would definitely make the starbase some place would visit often - even if it means doing a project to unlock it.
    Btw, what tier transwarp gate do you need to be able to transwarp to the gateway system? I can't ever seem to find a list of what locations open up at each tier.

Can't remember when we got it, but we have a T3 transwarp gate, and we can go to Gateway system. Makes going to Tau Dewa a breeze.
    edited December 2012
    latinumbar wrote: »
    Can't remember when we got it, but we have a T3 transwarp gate, and we can go to Gateway system. Makes going to Tau Dewa a breeze.

Well our little fleet should have our T2 transwarp gate in two days when the project finishes, so I'll know then if it's T2 or T3 haha. Really hope it's T2 as I do dislike having to fly there... I'm ridiculously lazy. :)

EDIT: It's the T2 transwarp gate. :)