test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Legacy of Romulus Pre-Patching Enabled (Now disabled!)

Comments

• Options
    calistobradycalistobrady Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah my launcher doesn't even connect anymore after I exit. The window just comes up blank. It's given up and so have I.

Give us a torrent file so we can actually get this patch properly please. If you can't provide servers that can service the game, well delegate the work to home internet users. It will cost you nothing Cryptic.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ledemonq wrote: »
    Every time I close the game the pre patch begin, how many times will patch 8.5GB?
    I guess with one time is sufficient, why every time I close the game returns to patch it?
    (I have the tribble update with LOR, so dont download nothing, but is annoying that every time you close the game the patch return to start)

What's happening is, until Prepatch is turned off, every time you play on Holodeck, and then exit the game, the Prepatcher will open up, and look to see that you have all the files on the Prepatcher. If you have the files, the Prepatcher will close.

Nothing to worry about, and Nothing you can do about it.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've tried and tried multiple times to do a pre-patch on LOR and yet it still does not work, anyone else having this problem and what can I do to fix it.

Please feel free to chime in Devs.

I'm excited for the game, and i desperately want to play it but unfortunately this is not working.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    byzanathosbyzanathos Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wasted plenty of my bandwidth so far to get nowhere.

I resigned to the fact it will simply not pre-patch and I'll just have to expect an extra long standard patch when it goes live.

seems to either go nowhere or die at 46-47%
  • Options
    squonkmansquonkman Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's my fourth try. For me, download seems to hang at 46%. I left the program run for 4 hours and it didnt budge.

What's even worst is that if you close the program, restart STO and quit, the download will start over from zero.
  • Options
    darthlokidarthloki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    okay I exited the launcher after pre-patching to 46 percent, then I restarted the game and exited but now its not even pre-patching its stuck at 0 percent has been for like an hour now
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darthloki wrote: »
    I'm trying to pre-patch for legacy of romulus and for 3 hours
    the patcher has been stuck at 46.9% percent for 3 hours this
    is dumb

and me,,,,,stuck on 46.5 for over an hour,,,,,,,
  • Options
    nevawinnanevawinna Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When exiting the game sometimes a broken launcher window (missing server selection and news banners) pops up and immediately starts patching 5882MB. his started today, ahppened several times now, usually after exiting after a server timeout when logging in a character. Not really sure what it is patching as both Holodeck and Tribble don't require patching according to force verify.
  • Options
    ciphertuesdayciphertuesday Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darthloki wrote: »
    I'm trying to pre-patch for legacy of romulus and for 3 hours
    the patcher has been stuck at 46.9% percent for 3 hours this
    is dumb

Same here, exactly at 46%. It got stuck there for so long that I can even remember it was 2779.1 MB.

I mean...that was about 2G, and I have to lose all of that and restart from the beginning. It's not like I can't start over but it's just so annoying. Is there any chance that the patch could be released as an exe file or something, better if being compressed into a few volumes?
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's called a 'pre-patch' which Cryptic adds whenever a particularly large patch for a new season (in this case an Expansion) to help reduce load on the patch server when the big day comes, as well as getting you a little ahead on the patch. Legacy of Romulus comes out on the 21st, and what you're getting is part of that. If you're patched up on Tribble, it's mostly copying from that folder and verifying with the patch server.
  • Options
    colonelsinkcolonelsink Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So for the last few days after i exit STO the launcher automatically restarrts and starts patching something.....Anyone else getting this? I assume that its patching LoR files.
  • Options
    gullshadowgullshadow Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So what's up with this pre-patch thing been stuck at 40% for over an hour now.
    U.S.S. Avenger (Battle Cruiser)
    NCC 97500

Fleet Admiral Theron VonShadow Commanding
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now I've completed multiple patches logging on and logging off of STO, and the all completed successfully. I also just finished updating my Tribble Client as well without issue.

So the patcher works fine. If you have problems with the patcher hanging, it mostly likely lost its network connection to the STO servers, and you should talk to your ISP on why they can't maintain a STO Server network connection to your Client...
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    im gonna start and leave the game and se if it does this freeze mine seems to complete but keeps doing it each time i start , ill edit for details here to help the devs get more details.

login , patch at top says 3615KB and goes up to just over 1000KB then stops

didnt see the below bit this is real fast

tested a few pves, on gorn minefield got some real weird freezes and it was like a skip...sorted out...now ill log out

went out and up come a popup that said patching and went to 1100KB of 5882MB
    and disappeared....

that in detail is what i experience if tis normal ...okies.
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now I've completed multiple patches logging on and logging off of STO, and the all completed successfully. I also just finished updating my Tribble Client as well without issue.

So the patcher works fine. If you have problems with the patcher hanging, it mostly likely lost its network connection to the STO servers, and you should talk to your ISP on why they can't maintain a STO Server network connection to your Client...

Yes dozens of people all lost their connection at 46% by mere coincidence. After exactly the same thing happened when the patch was released on Tribble, only to be repeated on Holodeck because someone in Crypric's QA managed to make the same mistake twice in two weeks.

But yeah, it's everyone's internet connection cutting out at the same point through magic.

I mean... really dude? Weakest trolling of the day.

Just because you haven't experienced problems doesn't mean those problems don't exist.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is probably similar to when some people lost both the Launcher and the STO website, yet were able to get to the forums through PWE.

It's most likely an area routing issue. When it happened the last two times, use of a VPN allowed the Launcher to patch.

Also read my sig.
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Damn i thought it was just me with issues i tried last night adn it failed then today after a clean install and magically it failed in exactly the same spot! (46%) I since emailed them and got this respons below.

I am right now on 92%!

What i did was...
    Disable on demand
    Force Verify
    Remove/Uninstall any unnecessary programs such as toolbars or Pando Media Booster.

The amazing thing is Star Trek Online installs Pando Media Booster then they tell you to remove it!? So why the hell is it included with the install??? Seems idiotic to me, oh now on 95%!
    Hello!

Please try the following suggestions first. They are common solutions to issues with the game, and also in doing so, it helps us narrow down the possible cause of your issue.

In the Launcher, go to Options and check 'Disable On-Demand' patching. See if this works.

You can then try to 'Force-Verify' to make sure your files are not corrupt or missing.

You can also try to run in Safe Mode as well.

Here are some other possible solutions if you have not already done so:

Make sure the game and your drivers (graphics, network, sound, motherboard, etc) are fully updated.

You may have to be on a Windows Admin account, or have Run as Admin access (right-click and select run as administrator) to be able to download, install, update, and run the game. If on Windows Vista or 7, you may have to change the level of your UAC settings or turn them off temporarily.

You can try trying the compatibility mode of the game launcher. Right-click, go to properties, and go to the Compatibility tab. Check the 'Run this program in....." and try different modes, such as XP Compatibly mode.

You can try adding the game folder/files to your exceptions list in your antivirus and firewall software. Please see the help menu or support website for the software that you use if you aren't sure how to do it.

At your own risk, you may have to disable your antivirus, firewall, and other security software temporarily while you download, install, update, login to, and play the game. Sometimes the security software will block it or throttle it, no matter what you try or even if you try to add exceptions for the game files in your security software.

Stop any processes that may be interfering with the networking and causing issues with your connection.

Remove/Uninstall any unnecessary programs such as toolbars or Pando Media Booster.

**You may also need to close programs such as Teamviewer, DisplayFusion, and Mumble

You may need to uninstall the game, making sure to remove any excess files, then re-install it.

If the above does not work, please respond with answers to the following:

1) What exactly did you try from the above, and what were the results? (If you have tried them already, let us know exactly which you have tried)

Edit:
    After downloading the patch and loading the game i was greeted by Patching... 9883MB after 7% of cause it got stuck. Im on my 3rd attempt of patching and already thats failed at 0%!

So, im going bed and im just not going to patch im fed up wasting my time and bandwidth.
  • Options
    x0ligyx0ligy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine was getting stuck at 46% emailed support and got the fastest reply ever from them which can be found here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9987451&postcount=7

patching just completed for me.
  • Options
    serf5serf5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes getting same issue about 9885 mb then disapears
  • Options
    chronoss2012chronoss2012 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »
    Mine was getting stuck at 46% emailed support and got the fastest reply ever from them which can be found here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=9987451&postcount=7

patching just completed for me.

but you dont tell anyone if that worked.....game works i only had that one lil freeze up in 4 missions.

im just curious if checking off force verify you also say i should check disable on demand patching.....
  • Options
    laseraddictlaseraddict Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pre-patch? Cool.

*later*

Patched: 1204.5/ 9883MB
    Received: 740.6MB 12%

... Oh my goodness. Though at least SO far it's going at a steady rate, but still. Oh my goodness. No force Verify or On Demand active.

Unrelated, 1,000 Day veteran lifetime account. Forum Join date this month when I got back to the game, OF COURSE!

EDIT: Welp, currently stuck at 35%. I've never done the Beta stuff. Hmm.
  • Options
    itsthebishopitsthebishop Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only way I was able to get pre-patching to work was to patch Tribble first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Romulan Praetorian Guard
    Original join date:January 2010
  • Options
    rob75383rob75383 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, how about we all take a deep breath and do some actual troubleshooting?

I dont play on tribble, so keep that in mind.
    When I check my prepatch folder, its 3.91 GB (4,206,453,372 bytes) and contains 11 files, and 1 folder. Basically another piggs folder which contains
    bins2.hogg 65kb 2013/05/02
    bins3.hogg 65kb 2013/05/02
    bins.hogg 1342023kb 2013/05/16
    character.hogg 65kb 2013/05/02
    data.hogg 236738kb 2013/05/16
    exes.hogg 28548kb 2013/05/16
    object.hogg 65kb 2013/05/02
    sound.hogg 379641kb 2013/05/16
    texture2.hogg 589330kb 2013/05/16
    texture3.hogg 765363kb 2013/05/16
    texture.hogg 765969kb 2013/05/16

That being said, can someone with a successful patch put up their info, so others can compare?
    What's happening is, until Prepatch is turned off, every time you play on Holodeck, and then exit the game, the Prepatcher will open up, and look to see that you have all the files on the Prepatcher. If you have the files, the Prepatcher will close.

Nothing to worry about, and Nothing you can do about it.

I saw someone else say the same thing pages ago...

Thats basically what I'm getting... incomplete patches that stop abruptly during logon, and incomplete patches that disappear shortly after logoff.

And :confused: to the trolls who just increase their postcount by referring back to this same thread. lol
  • Options
    gerridaegerridae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi, every time i log out the prepatch download begins.it is over 2 gigs to download and it does not resume if it is interrupted. I have tried several times to let the prepatch download, but each time it is interrupted and fails. I strongly suggest a torrent option. thank you.
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you people stuck at X% certain you have launched STO with ADMIN Rights? Part way through the download it wants to decompress and modify files.

Right click STO icon, run as Administrator.
  • Options
    buf0rdtjust1cebuf0rdtjust1ce Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pulserazor wrote: »
    Are you people stuck at X% certain you have launched STO with ADMIN Rights? Part way through the download it wants to decompress and modify files.

Right click STO icon, run as Administrator.

Would that really make any difference? What's been happening is that we open the launcher as usual, the game runs as usual, then after we quit the game itself, a new instance of the launcher pops up and starts the pre-patching process, which for nearly everyone always stops at 46-47%. I get your idea about running it with admin privilege, but would that option carry over to the second, self-generated instance of the launcher?

Not criticizing you at all for the suggestion, in fact I might give it a try on my system. I'm no Windows expert, but just from what I've seen it seems as if the launcher executable terminates after STO itself loads, and with this buggy pre-patching system, the STO executable commands a new instance of the launcher to load when STO itself is exited.

Whatever the case, this whole thing is ridiculous. I renamed the prepatch folder in my system's Steam directory, and created a new prepatch folder and the subfolder (piggs) which is supposed to be in it. Went in game, exited, the launcher popped back up and started patching again from 0MB Received/0.0% patched. Went exactly to 46.4% patched just as it did on the first day of this fiasco and never moved again.

I have to believe that there's a server-side issue at work here, given my experience and reading about everyone else's. Everyone, it seems, who has not opted into the Tribble system, that is... It's certainly not an issue with my Internet connection or any sort of anticirus/firewall/security software.

About half an hour ago I decided to run the launcher again with the Disable on-demand patching option checked, and I am now at 3.26GB received/98.5% patched. And now that I finished typing that last sentence, it is 100% patched and ready to Engage. But that option only caused the launcher to download all of the assets for the game to work with areas I haven't been in yet, ships I've never encountered, etc. That was not patching for Legacy of Romulus.

It seems to me that Cryptic/Perfect World or whoever is officially in charge of this thing thought that everything was kosher because their Tribble guinea pigs didn't report any problems with the LoR pre-patch. Now that everyone who is only on holodeck is having the same problem, they're scratching their heads and sending everyone generic responses telling them to disable their antivirus software and disable on-demand patching.

At this point, I would much rather have them delay the release of LoR indefinitely and have them lock down to patching problems. I'm afraid to try to log into the game on the 21st and have some other patch issue gone wild, then find my game unplayable. Granted I have only been playing STO for five months, so this is my first time through a new season patch cycle, but this really is maddening. I'll probably end up keeping totally away from the game from a couple of days before the big rollout until about a week after. Better to monitor the carnage from the safety of the forum here than to be one of the first to experience LoR gone live and lose my 340 hours of gameplay.

I'll stop ranting now...
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mine starts pre-patching gets to a certain point (I'm not sure what; it says some number of megabytes patched but never changes from 0%), then crashes. When I start STO up again, it has to patch 3,888mb. This has happened a few times now. So I have no idea what is going on.
  • Options
    keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok so I'm having a few issues with the log out patch download.

My pc gets half way through and then shuts the game client down.

And my laptop stops at 975mb. Had it going for 8 hours and it never moved past that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tsurutafan01tsurutafan01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It seems to me that Cryptic/Perfect World or whoever is officially in charge of this thing thought that everything was kosher because their Tribble guinea pigs didn't report any problems with the LoR pre-patch.

Funny/sad, literally this exact same problem occurred on Tribble when they put The Big Patch out there a week or two ago.

Those people didn't get two days of silence on the issue, though. They had the same stalling-but-not-for-everyone problem but got a fix out within a couple days.

Then they've repeated whatever the mistake was a second time, only this time with no apparent fix.

That's what makes this doubly TRIBBLE.

"We are smart." - Grebnedlog

Member of Alliance Central Command/boq botlhra'ghom
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0ligy wrote: »
    What i did was...
    Disable on demand
    Force Verify

Edit:
    After downloading the patch and loading the game i was greeted by Patching... 9883MB after 7% of cause it got stuck.
    Yeah I tried what you wrote. (No Pando that was uninstalled long ago...) The patch during the initial launch was 4741MB and completed successfully. I thought hot damn, I'm good to go.

Then after some time playing I logged out and now it wants to download another 9883MB. Yikes. OK it looked like it was going well so I let it run.

Come back a while later - same as you, stalled at 7%. (Received 483.4MB) I verified the launcher settings remained as specified, so that's not it. :(
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
This discussion has been closed.