test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Legacy of Romulus Pre-Patching Enabled (Now disabled!)

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dirlettia wrote: »
    May not be a system error so much as whether or not patch on demand is enabled or not. Had I been on my fixed internet connection I would have had on demand disabled but while on a mobile connection I have to patch as needed due to limits.

So patch on demand disabled - patch never
    so patch on demand enabled - patch every launch
    Well, if that's the case then you're generally not patching changes. You're probably patching routing instructions for where the data is stored in your system - the system is reaffirming locations in your comp as your storing all the data internally rather then getting it with each zoning. That patch is there to make certain the pathing to that data is not corrupted - and thus your system won't crash when you enter a new zone. That would be my guess, anyway.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think my description from my first (overlooked) post is better.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Don't you hate when yours is the last post on the particular thread page? That one gets skipped too often. :)

You could be right. I only know there was no intentional patches yesterday. Cryptic sent us nothing.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tomin8rtomin8r Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    General Server Stability Maintenance.
  • Options
    daskippadaskippa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

yea went back and looked. I always have the disable on demand toggled. Have since S6. The rommy preload seems to have un-toggled it on me. Hopefully that addresses it, was just disconcerted about a patching no-patch
  • Options
    stostargatewarsstostargatewars Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The issue of a mini patch each time you start the launcher should be ignore no my old Alienware laptop I got that issue before a major update and normally when pre-patching switched on and when I have downloaded the pre-patch. That might be the cause but I can't confirm it as usually only seen it happen at pre-patch time.

I have also seen posts from 2+ years ago about the issue posted by other players.
  • Options
    chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope that a DEV will read this.
    At the moment,these pre-patches seem endless. Is this going to happen right up to May 21st????
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In an effort to not have you patching stuff for a month solid after 21st hits, yes. Patch a little now and then before the 21st to get things pre-installed that then only need be unpacked, speeds up the process a little, and it also lessens the strain on Cryptic on the big day.

When the 21st hits you'll have no choice but to patch anyway.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gallowsbait1gallowsbait1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    In an effort to not have you patching stuff for a month solid after 21st hits, yes. Patch a little now and then before the 21st to get things pre-installed that then only need be unpacked, speeds up the process a little, and it also lessens the strain on Cryptic on the big day.

When the 21st hits you'll have no choice but to patch anyway.

Except that you can't.

The patch is an all or nothing deal.

If it stops midway, you have to start again at 0%. Nothing is stored unless it completes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well sorry but seeing as I, like the OP, patch on every launch I also Disagree with you.

Agreed.

I received a small 3.6m update patch this morning and as yet I have not been successul in downloading the pre-legacy patch.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have all of you that are having trouble with prepatching tried getting your tribble client up to date first? I've never had an issue with prepatching but my Tribble is always current.

It'll make your prepatch smaller and might get past the stuck bits, it might have been suggested but I'm not wading through every page first, just throwing it out there :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.
  • Options
    fyllisfyllis Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I am STILL patching everytime I Log in and EVERY Time I log out

THe patches COMPLETE 100% each time, thanks PWE/C for another well executed plan.
  • Options
    andrew0182andrew0182 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Should the client be patching like 3600KB every time i open it and then 5800MB after closing it all the time cause that's what I'm getting. It takes a while to log in cause of it even tho it dunt seem to be downloading the whole amount.
    (Tribble and main client are both up-to date too)
  • Options
    drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well so far the only 100 percent working method to fix this is to patch Tribble. Other than that you can wait until a fix by Cryptic (which is unlikely, given their lack of interest in this issue) or just download the update on tuesday when LoR is released.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Except that you can't.

The patch is an all or nothing deal.

If it stops midway, you have to start again at 0%. Nothing is stored unless it completes.

Incorrect. Look at how much is being downloaded versus how much is being processed as a patch. The launcher analyzes what has already been downloaded, and applies that towards the 5 gb patched number.

TL,DR: The way the launcher works, 5 gb patch =/= 5gb downloaded every single time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    TL,DR: The way the launcher works, 5 gb patch =/= 5gb downloaded every single time.

TL,Dr:

Bull****.

Each time I try (12-15 times now) it tells me it has 5885MB to download and starts at 0% patched.

Every.

****ing.

Time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    topset wrote: »
    Have all of you that are having trouble with prepatching tried getting your tribble client up to date first? I've never had an issue with prepatching but my Tribble is always current.

It'll make your prepatch smaller and might get past the stuck bits, it might have been suggested but I'm not wading through every page first, just throwing it out there :D

I'm not downloading 9 gig in order to download 5gig more.

Not unless Cryptic will pay my ISP charges because that's about 20 quid over my limit.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    TL,Dr:

Bull****.

Each time I try (12-15 times now) it tells me it has 5885MB to download and starts at 0% patched.

Every.

****ing.

Time.

You really need to learn to read what shows up on your launcher. It tells you it has 5 gb to patch. It then scans your machine for anything that it's already downloaded. If it finds anything, it applies what it finds towards the 5 gb patch total. This is why the entire monstrosity magically takes all of a minute to "download" after you actually complete pre-patching.

So please, save your ranting for when you actually know what the hell you're talking about.
  • Options
    teamporscheteamporsche Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry if I cannot remember your name, but ul know who u r once i write this. Out of all the posts i read regarding the stalling at 46%, yours worked. Anyway I started doing the mega update prepatch. And as I dredded it stopped at 45%. So I did the following. In options on the launcher I check ticked "disable on demand patching" and also check ticked "force verify". I re-ran the patch and it did all 100%. So this appears to be the trick to the problem of stopping at 45 to 46% problem. Many thanks to the person who first posted this solution. I never would of worked it out on my own. Once it is done btw, I checked unticked or put how it was orginally the "disable on demand patching" and "force verify" check boxes. Everytime u get out of the game it still tries to do the patch. In fact I believe it just hangs eventually somewhere on 0%. Not to worry as the files are all downloaded as the game size is much, much bigger now. Just get out of it. When expansion pack is released on the 21st, all the prepatched files will be there.

On another note regarding speed. I first tried this on a Duo Core PC I have with 2 GB of ram and GeForce GTX260 graphics card. It took 1 hour just to do 18%. I aborted. I installed the game on my laptop which is an i Core 5 with 8GB of RAM and GeForce GT520M graphics. When it first failed at 45% it took under 30 mins. When I re tried it with the changes above it took just inder 1.5 hours. The internet connection is the same on both machines. Using a wifi connection to a cable broadband with speeds averaging between 60mps to 80mps. So clearly in this case the faster processor machine patched faster. Its not just how quick the internet connection is but also how quick the computer is I guess.

Anyway I hope I can help others with this as I was helped from a user of this forum already. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You really need to learn to read what shows up on your launcher. It tells you it has 5 gb to patch. It then scans your machine for anything that it's already downloaded. If it finds anything, it applies what it finds towards the 5 gb patch total. This is why the entire monstrosity magically takes all of a minute to "download" after you actually complete pre-patching.

So please, save your ranting for when you actually know what the hell you're talking about.

I do know what I am talking about.

Last night I ran the same first few percent over and over again from 0% with NOTHING "magically" downloaded each time.

Then I left it over night and it got as far as 34%.

This morning I tried against several times, each time with NOTHING and starting over with 0% and no data incoming from pre-stored information.

Its what is happening to me.

If its not supposed to be then this game is even more ****ed up than its supposed to be.

But I still keep starting from 0 data each time.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Last night I ran the same first few percent over and over again from 0% with NOTHING "magically" downloaded each time.

Then I left it over night and it got as far as 34%.

This morning I tried against several times, each time with NOTHING and starting over with 0% and no data incoming from pre-stored information.

Its what is happening to me.

If its not supposed to be then this game is even more ****ed up than its supposed to be.

But I still keep starting from 0 data each time.
    I would simply tell you to relax. On Tuesday you can download the entire patch without the pre-patcher. That way it will work just like every other patch you've ever hard. It might take a bit longer to do it that way but it'll have you all the angst of worrying about it.

It's clear Cryptic isn't worried about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It's pretty obvious you don't. Nor are you actually comprehending anything folks are telling you.

Every time the pre-patcher starts back up, it starts from 0 of 5 gb patched. That's not a bug. That's how it works.

You're presented with three numbers: Total Patch size, amount downloaded and amount patched. Stop obsessing over the total patch size. That doesn't change regardless of how much you've previously downloaded. Start looking at the difference between amount downloaded and amount patched.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There's a lot of things Cryptic aren't bothered about, but I don't consider doing nothing to be the right answer to those either.

Like the continual server outages.

I would quite like not to be left as a second class citizen by a company I am paying to access their product. Telling me its broken and that's tough is not a way to ensure my subscription continues.

Especially when I have zero confidence the final patch will be any more successful than the pre-patch. (Especially since people are saying Tribble had the same issue - we're 0 for 2 so far!)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There's a lot of things Cryptic aren't bothered about, but I don't consider doing nothing to be the right answer to those either.

Like the continual server outages.
    When was the last game crash? As Dstahl stated in a post, the new hardware has been installed this week. We haven't had a crash since. Knock on wood. :)
    I would quite like not to be left as a second class citizen by a company I am paying to access their product. Telling me its broken and that's tough is not a way to ensure my subscription continues.
    The point is there are a million reasons as to why your system isn't patching correctly. You might need to change your Options, or Force Verify, or look into your sub-forums and see where the patching is going. There could be something in the patch your virus protection sees as a problem and stops the download - or even your firewall gets triggered by something in the pre-patch.

Either way, the patch will load normally on the 21st for everyone who doesn't pre-patch. IE, everyone who's been gone from the game the last few days and didn't even know there was a pre-patch.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's pretty obvious you don't. Nor are you actually comprehending anything folks are telling you.

Every time the pre-patcher starts back up, it starts from 0 of 5 gb patched. That's not a bug. That's how it works.

You're presented with three numbers: Total Patch size, amount downloaded and amount patched. Stop obsessing over the total patch size. That doesn't change regardless of how much you've previously downloaded. Start looking at the difference between amount downloaded and amount patched.

YOU are the one not listening.

I am aware of all of these numbers. Every time I start patching it starts with NOTHING patched. This morning I spent time watching it manage to both download and patch 1500 Kb of the total, despite it having managed to download over 1Gb last night.

It started again with NOTHING. Every single time I have tried both the amount downloaded and patched have been zero.
  • Options
    liquid3lliquid3l Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When the launcher loads it patches or not, as usual. After I've been playing (with no issues) and exit the game the launcher screen comes up again and patches something different and takes an hour and a half patching. Tried launcher update link with no difference. Thank you for any help you can give
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is Legacy of Romulus pre-patch. It's supposed to happen.

Beware though, lots of people (me included) get stuck at 46%. If you are on limited bandwidth, you might want to wait until it's fixed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It started again with NOTHING. Every single time I have tried both the amount downloaded and patched have been zero.

I don't know how much more plain I can make this (for the third time now):

The above is what is supposed to happen. The pre-patcher starts at 0 of 5 gb patched regardless of how much is already on your machine. As anything that is already downloaded unspools into the patched column, you'll see the patched number go up disproportionally faster than the downloaded column increases. This is not an instantaneous process, it takes time. The more you have left to download, the longer that time is.

Now, plenty of things can TRIBBLE with that. Not the least of which is an impatient player who repeatedly force-interrupts the download process, potentially leading to all manner of corrupted, incomplete or otherwise damaged files.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how much more plain I can make this (for the third time now):

The above is what is supposed to happen. The pre-patcher starts at 0 of 5 gb patched regardless of how much is already on your machine. As anything that is already downloaded unspools into the patched column, you'll see the patched number go up disproportionally faster than the downloaded column increases. This is not an instantaneous process, it takes time. The more you have left to download, the longer that time is.

Now, plenty of things can TRIBBLE with that. Not the least of which is an impatient player who repeatedly force-interrupts the download process, potentially leading to all manner of corrupted, incomplete or otherwise damaged files.

Again, I have already explained repeatedly as well. This is not what I am seeing happen.

As I noted. I tried several times, I am not such a numpty as to spam the thing, I wait, I give it time, I am not new to this launcher, even if I am new to the forums.

Last night it downloaded 34% before freezing.

This morning I tried again and after some considerable time (20 minutes or so) it remained stalled at 1500 kb and no additional data from what was downloaded was added to the patched amount.

As I have already noted this may not be what is supposed to be happening, it does appear to be what is and no amount of telling me I am wrong is changing the fact that for the sake over over 1Gb downloaded previously, the client still insists nothing has been patched in any of the numbers showing progress.
  • Options
    sarovensaroven Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry if I cannot remember your name, but ul know who u r once i write this. Out of all the posts i read regarding the stalling at 46%, yours worked. Anyway I started doing the mega update prepatch. And as I dredded it stopped at 45%. So I did the following. In options on the launcher I check ticked "disable on demand patching" and also check ticked "force verify". I re-ran the patch and it did all 100%. So this appears to be the trick to the problem of stopping at 45 to 46% problem. Many thanks to the person who first posted this solution. I never would of worked it out on my own. Once it is done btw, I checked unticked or put how it was orginally the "disable on demand patching" and "force verify" check boxes. Everytime u get out of the game it still tries to do the patch. In fact I believe it just hangs eventually somewhere on 0%. Not to worry as the files are all downloaded as the game size is much, much bigger now. Just get out of it. When expansion pack is released on the 21st, all the prepatched files will be there.

On another note regarding speed. I first tried this on a Duo Core PC I have with 2 GB of ram and GeForce GTX260 graphics card. It took 1 hour just to do 18%. I aborted. I installed the game on my laptop which is an i Core 5 with 8GB of RAM and GeForce GT520M graphics. When it first failed at 45% it took under 30 mins. When I re tried it with the changes above it took just inder 1.5 hours. The internet connection is the same on both machines. Using a wifi connection to a cable broadband with speeds averaging between 60mps to 80mps. So clearly in this case the faster processor machine patched faster. Its not just how quick the internet connection is but also how quick the computer is I guess.

Anyway I hope I can help others with this as I was helped from a user of this forum already. :)

I am glad you reposted the above advice. My download even after I have been faithfully keeping up with Tribble patches still got stuck at 46%. I also had to check the two boxes in options you mentioned in the launcher and it finally worked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.