test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev Blog #1: An Empire Divided Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    auricius wrote: »
    Again, I'm calling Iconian indoctrination/impostor. The impostor being more likely - we'll probably get to rescue the real Sela at some point.
    Even if that were true, (and it think the indoctrination etc is the only concievably believable way they could retcon this without ruining suspension of disbelief) consider that we as Romulan players are playing as peaceful farmers, opposed to the 'oppression' of the RSE, who will eventually join up with first the Romulan Republic under D'tan, and then at level 10 either the KDF or Federation. Do any of these factions sound like the sorts of folks who would be interested in restoring Sela to power? Does she seem like the sort of Romulan willing to cooperate with the Federation/KDF and go along with their officer/ship exchange programs?

I see it as an attempt to paint the entire RSE with one coat of paint. All Romulans are either psychotic dictators who willfully blow up their own suns, or oppressed farmboys on backwater planets taking up their nanopulse lirpas agaisnt the Evil Empire in the name of freedom and the Rebel Alliance.

dixonium wrote: »
    I appreciate the way in which the mythology of Star Trek Online embraces rather than downplays the nuances that have been apparent in Romulan culture throughout their history. The Romulans have always been divided. Most of the Romulan people lived in fear of the Tal Shiar and hated them as a result. The Empire was always split in this way. The introduction of the unificationists and, later, the Remans simply added further layers to this fractured culture. Star Trek Online's ongoing story quite naturally builds on this complex history in the aftermath of the destruction of the homeworlds.

I can't wait to participate in the new faction.

Really? The conflict between the RSE and RR seems to have been downgraded into soemthing completely devoid of nuance IMO. Romulan Republic are good guys. RSE is bad, you shoudl hate them.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let's assume for a moment that anything on a third-party website is irrelevant. What is actually in the game, regarding Sela, the Tal'Shiar, etc.? And how does it fit with this new description?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you play the new version of Cutting the Cord on trbble....Where did Sela get ridges from?

I'm assuming it's a place holder while you get her face in the game.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Even if that were true, (and it think the indoctrination etc is the only concievably believable way they could retcon this without ruining suspension of disbelief) consider that we as Romulan players are playing as peaceful farmers, opposed to the 'oppression' of the RSE, who will eventually join up with first the Romulan Republic under D'tan, and then at level 10 either the KDF or Federation. Do any of these factions sound like the sorts of folks who would be interested in restoring Sela to power?

Good point. I fear if they do go with my impostor theory, they'll bring about the oh-so-tired cliche of "she's our only hope" as to redeem and bring her back into the action. During my 2 years here I've learnt to expect the unexpected, so...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I really hope they explain Donatra getting Borgified........I'm really confused on that whole story...even before the change....now it makes even less sense.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heh I like the background story. It's a bit too american (good and evil stuff we've seen ad nauseum in hollywood productions, and not enough drama), but the game is made in the US after all! It's definitely a cliche. But this one could work.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I used to bullseye Epohhs with my TR-116 back home. And they're not much bigger than 1 meter. We GOT this B'iggs!

haha why not. the kdf toron shuttle, already looks like they ripped off the back half off a x-wing and stuck it on a shuttle. :P

http://www.stowiki.org/Toron_Shuttle
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Oh but there is ... there is.

Cutting the Cord was changed, it now have Sela on the ground talking to Colonel Scarface.

What? Really? I had heard that they brought Crosby in to do redo the voicework for that level, but I had assumed that it had been just the old lines redone in Crosby's voice, not additional scenes or dialogue. If I replay that mission and get Sela Talking to Hakeev "Bwa ha ha! The Federation has fallen into our trap, we will destroy them for our Iconian masters!" i will be upset, to say the least.
    Good point. I fear if they do go with my impostor theory, they'll bring about the oh-so-tired cliche of "she's our only hope" as to redeem and bring her back into the action. During my 2 years here I've learnt to expect the unexpected, so...

That seems like just about the worst possible outcome to this scenario ever, IMO.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That seems like just about the worst possible outcome to this scenario ever, IMO.

Agreed. /10char
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    What? Really? I had heard that they brought Crosby in to do redo the voicework for that level, but I had assumed that it had been just the old lines redone in Crosby's voice, not additional scenes or dialogue. If I replay that mission and get Sela Talking to Hakeev "Bwa ha ha! The Federation has fallen into our trap, we will destroy them for our Iconian masters!" i will be upset, to say the least.

It's more....That was Taris plan, and not my plan....then she beams up, you fight Hakeeve kill him, beam up, and the Battle Sela is there from Start.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    carpfishercarpfisher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Blog 1: An Empire Divided
    Blog 2: Jump to Warpspeed
    Blog 3: Rage of the Klingons
    Blog 4: Trials of Obisek
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's what I was thinking too. Doesn't mean I necessarily approve thoguh, lol. When I think 'Romulans' my mind doesn't automatically wander to Luke Skywalker. It does with the information Cryptic has provided so far though.

Less Luke Skywalker and more Jason Statham/Steven Segal. You're a grizzled war veteran trying to escape the demons of his dark and tortured past by farming.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    Less Luke Skywalker and more Jason Statham/Steven Segal. You're a grizzled war veteran trying to escape the demons of his dark and tortured past by farming.

Wait. Wait. Could this also be the origin story of the Romulan version of The PUNISHER?
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    skonnskonn Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dixonium wrote: »
    I appreciate the way in which the mythology of Star Trek Online embraces rather than downplays the nuances that have been apparent in Romulan culture throughout their history. The Romulans have always been divided. Most of the Romulan people lived in fear of the Tal Shiar and hated them as a result. The Empire was always split in this way.

It wasn't divided in TOS. And it wasn't in Enterprise, either. Both shows are more canon than STO.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    I see, and the Tal Shiar call you for one last job, and you say no, until they kill/kidnap your loved one (wife, friend, daughter, pick one)?
    I think we have the beginning of the story right here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sela is a Cylon. It's the only logical explanation.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just waiting to get all this preliminary stuff out the way.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Waiting for the next dev blog, when Romulans have to choose FED or KDF side, then stop reading and I will back to my true FED and KDF chars. Romulans will be dead for me. But still waiting for a miracle, who knows...

You know you don't have to actually do any of the "get upgrades/ships from your ally" stuff, right? Stick to the Romulan storyline and you'll be good.
    Again, I'm calling Iconian indoctrination/impostor. The impostor being more likely - we'll probably get to rescue the real Sela at some point.

You guys keep saying Iconian. I'm thinking Undine, myself.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited April 2013

They're supposedy being manipulated by the Iconians as well (at least how it stands at the moment), but yes it could be an undine infiltrator grasping the chance to impersonate Sela, though likely everyone would know about that. We also see her ship being abducted by the Iconians I doubt she'd turn out to be an Undine had she returned.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Cylon. Sela's now a toaster.

Either that or Skynet has joined forces with the Iconians. (Either way, Sela is still a toaster)
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sela is actually Tasha yar from the mirror universe alternate timeline on a covert mission to weaken the galaxy for invasion

or not
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Sela is actually Tasha yar from the mirror universe alternate timeline on a covert mission to weaken the galaxy for invasion

or not

Seems legit
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We only know part of it. Don't be quick to judge on the new story line. This is a good start to get you into the Romulan side.

I'm being neutral on it, so I won't be disappointed if it don't go well of my likings. So what it seems a little off starting as a farmer. Look at the JJ Trek. A cadet that don't follow orders and rules, etc. Then a full captain at the end of the movie with their own ship. By passing earning your rank and ship.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    skonn wrote: »
    It wasn't divided in TOS. And it wasn't in Enterprise, either. Both shows are more canon than STO.

CBS said ages ago that those shows are too old to be canon anymore. 22nd and 23rd century storylines don't fit the IP anymore.
    Cylon. Sela's now a toaster. Either that or Skynet has joined forces with the Iconians. (Either way, Sela is still a toaster)

That would explain the farmer origin. Selanet and the Cylonians can only be defeated by a pastoral farmer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited April 2013
    I was under the impression that she was set up by the Tal'Shiar to removed her from the picture as a potential rival, not that she was necessarily responsible. (tal'Shiar never divulged their proof) There is a lot of bad blood between her and the Tal Shiar, and several NPCs mention that they doubt her involvement with the Hobus incident.

Away with you SW quotes mangy curs! ;)
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    We only know part of it. Don't be quick to judge on the new story line. This is a good start to get you into the Romulan side.

I'm being neutral on it, so I won't be disappointed if it don't go well of my likings. So what it seems a little off starting as a farmer. Look at the JJ Trek. A cadet that don't follow orders and rules, etc. Then a full captain at the end of the movie with their own ship. By passing earning your rank and ship.

"Other stuff is garbage too" is hardly a compelling point to make.

The farmer stuff is as generic as one can get for the start of the hero's journey, and that's worth being skeptical about, but all this whining about starting as a farmer because it's not "heroic" or "evil" enough is just silly.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "Other stuff is garbage too" is hardly a compelling point to make.

The farmer stuff is as generic as one can get for the start of the hero's journey, and that's worth being skeptical about, but all this whining about starting as a farmer because it's not "heroic" or "evil" enough is just silly.

Maybe you are a "farmer". You know you actually worked in the military before becoming a "farmer" and you have your ship stashed away, or one of the space hippies served with you and recognizes you.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013

It actually fits this game to a T. You evolve from being a SIMPLE farmer to becoming a level capped DILITHIUM and Fleet Mark farmer.

You never really change profession.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    CBS said ages ago that those shows are too old to be canon anymore. 22nd and 23rd century storylines don't fit the IP anymore.

Wait, what? First of all, Enterprise is barely twelve years old. Second of all, TOS is so popular there's be a riot if they declared it non-canon.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone