test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev Blog #1: An Empire Divided Thoughts?

catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
Some New Information from the Dev Blog:

* Three 'factions' of Romulans: Surivors (what the player starts as), Romulan Republic (D'Tan's faction), and the Tal Shiar. Interestingly enough, the Romulan Star Empire seems to be used interchangably with Tal Shiar.

* Tal Shiar is led by Sela. In previously established material, Sela has been at odds with them, is this a possible retcon? It is also almost explicitly stated that Sela is working with the Iconians.

* The Players start off as a Romulan farmer on a backwater planet, (tutorial?) and later join the Romulan Republic, and then join either the KDF or FED at level 10.

My thoguhts:
It is dissapointing that the Romulan Star Empire is taking a backsteat to the Tal'Shiar. They even mention Sela as the leader of the Tal'Shiar, rather than the leader of the RSE.

Sela is the leader of the Tal Shiar *and* an Iconian ally. How dissapointing. IMO the Tal Shiar were not well written in STO, what with the whole 'blowing up their homeworld for their Iconian masters' subplot. It's sad that now the entire RSE and Sela are getting in line behind them in this.

Cryptic are again playing up the oppressive nature of the RSE/Tal Shiar. Its startign to look like the RSE might be transformed into even more one-dimensional villains to act as a foil for the RR. There seems to be a 'homogenization' effect of the Romulans going on, and they are splitting into either our wholesome good-guy farmers who want to be left to themselves/live in harmony with their neighbors, and the Romulan Star Emprie, indistinguishable from the Tal Shiar and wholely under the thumb of the Iconians, who are the designated bad guys.

We don't even get to start as a RSE citizen? Instead we are stuck as a good-guy farmer on a backwater planet. I didn't know that the comparisons between the Romulan Faction and the Klingon farmers from the first KDF mission would be so prophetic, and I must say I am disappointed. There seems to be a conscious effort to distance the players from the Romulan Star Emprie as much as possible, probably so we don't develop any sort of connection to them-very disappointing.

I'm starting to think that the ROmulan faction is nothing more than a delivery system for KDF/Federation players who like the look of Romulan Ships/want to play a Drizzt Romulan but aren't interested in actually playing a true Romulan-one of the RSE. I can't honestly comprehend how this is supposed to appeal to Romulan fans otherwise.
Post edited by catoblepasbeta on

Comments

• Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Didn't Sela get snatched by the Iconians against her will in the Romulan FE? I know that the Romulan story takes place before that FE, so it's not a continuity thing. I'm just surprised she'd be allied with them, but apparently she'll get backstabbed. I don't remember the details too well, but IIRC it didn't feel like she was being rescued.
  • Options
    sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Seems rather silly at first glance, like much of the STO story to date, but reserving full judgment for when I can play as a Liberated Borg Romulan. :P
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • Options
    auriciusauricius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ever thought of the Iconians "replicating" a Sela of their own?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Didn't Sela get snatched by the Iconians against her will in the Romulan FE? I know that the Romulan story takes place before that FE, so it's not a continuity thing. I'm just surprised she'd be allied with them, but apparently she'll get backstabbed. I don't remember the details too well, but IIRC it didn't feel like she was being rescued.
    Well, if you look in her backstory, she was imprisoned and exiled by the Tal Shiar, and defeated Taris to become Empress. Taris was the one who orchestrated the whole Hobus incident. Adding in the hints the game regulalry drops in the episodes about her nto getting along with the Tal'Shiar and not being in the know about the Iconians, and I am a bit incredulous that they decided that she was made into an Iconian/Tal'Shiar lackey.

I guess it was to make the RSE look like even more of the black vs white villains by making basically everyone in the Emprie in a position of power complacent with the destruction of Romulus (in itself, absurd) and playing up the oppression/fascist angle to make players sympathize with the Republic. I am not a fan of their plot choices as revealed so far, to be honest.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wooo, at least we are not going to be members of D'tans space hippy faction. Thats something at least.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Instead we are stuck as a good-guy farmer on a backwater planet.

It's a story telling device that's worked in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    * Tal Shiar is led by Sela. In previously established material, Sela has been at odds with them, is this a possible retcon? It is also almost explicitly stated that Sela is working with the Iconians.

I don't understand this either. I've spent a few weeks now trying to understand the Romulan stories as they relate to the path to 2409. Now that I finally think I know what is going on, they put in something that seems to contradict whatever is left of this game's original lore.

Why would Sela ally with the Tal'shiar after a bloody feud that expelled her from the region? I haven't grinded New Romulus, so I don't know if there are any answers there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We already know Sela gave free hunting in RSE territory to the Hirogen in return for their support; so it comes as no surprise that she would make deals with other devils too. It's also not hard to believe that she would rely on the Tal Shiar to enforce her will to such an extent that she would be closely associated with them in peoples minds.

Sela is not a nice person. It's pretty much a given that any group run by Sela is going to be notable for its oppressiveness. It's also pretty much a given that the Tal Shiar would love that; since they generally aren't very nice either.
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It must be a Selabot-5000.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Wooo, at least we are not going to be members of D'tans space hippy faction. Thats something at least.

Incorrect. Remember from the Teaser site: "Play as a Romulan or Reman and immerse yourself in new story-driven missions written exclusively from the Romulan Republic's point of view." Also, D'Tan is explicitly mentioned in the Dev Blog as being the leader of the Romulan Republic. Then take into account this sentence: "It remains to be seen if you will be able to stay unaligned in the long run, but for now, no one seems to even know your colony exists." It would be logical to assuem that at some point in the game, probably shortly after the tutorial (probably with the peaceful farming planet being attacked by the EVIL RSE) we will joing up with the Romulan Republic.

That's what I was thinking too. Doesn't mean I necessarily approve thoguh, lol. When I think 'Romulans' my mind doesn't automatically wander to Luke Skywalker. It does with the information Cryptic has provided so far though.
  • Options
    fernandojimenezfernandojimenez Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Waiting for the next dev blog, when Romulans have to choose FED or KDF side, then stop reading and I will back to my true FED and KDF chars. Romulans will be dead for me. But still waiting for a miracle, who knows...
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    We already know Sela gave free hunting in RSE territory to the Hirogen in return for their support; so it comes as no surprise that she would make deals with other devils too. It's also not hard to believe that she would rely on the Tal Shiar to enforce her will to such an extent that she would be closely associated with them in peoples minds.

Sela is not a nice person. It's pretty much a given that any group run by Sela is going to be notable for its oppressiveness. It's also pretty much a given that the Tal Shiar would love that; since they generally aren't very nice either.

The Romulans aren't very nice either and I like them that way.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    From Memory Beta:

This is what we know about the relationship between Sela and Tal'shiar.
    Meanwhile Rehaek of the Tal Shiar concludes his investigation into the assassination of Tal'aura, finding she was killed by a coalition of noble houses who had been enraged by her reformation of the Senate. This report sparks a feud between Rehaek and Sela, eventually leading to attack on Rehaek's home, killing him and his family. Sela is sentenced to death, but Donatra steps in to arrange for Sela to be exiled rather than killed.

I guess it's all water under the bridge now. "Dear Sela, we'll forgive you for killing our leader, if you forgive us for exiling you from our empire. Er... I heard you guys became good at growing stuff on an inhospitable planet. I have a green thumb myself..."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ah but does the Vet reward android Speak Botchi??
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Romulans aren't very nice either and I like them that way.

The Romulans are no different from any other species; some are nice, some aren't. The Romluan leadership has generally not been very nice (with the possible exception of Donatra), but then it still isn't as far as the RSE goes.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »

I used to bullseye Epohhs with my TR-116 back home. And they're not much bigger than 1 meter. We GOT this B'iggs!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    From Memory Beta:

This is what we know about the relationship between Sela and Tal'shiar.

I guess it's all water under the bridge now. "Dear Sela, we'll forgive you for killing our leader, if you forgive us for exiling you from our empire. Er... I heard you guys became good at growing stuff on an inhospitable planet. I have a green thumb myself..."
    I was under the impression that she was set up by the Tal'Shiar to removed her from the picture as a potential rival, not that she was necessarily responsible. (tal'Shiar never divulged their proof) There is a lot of bad blood between her and the Tal Shiar, and several NPCs mention that they doubt her involvement with the Hobus incident.
  • Options
    goldenlion619goldenlion619 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    capnmanx wrote: »
    The Romulans are no different from any other species; some are nice, some aren't. The Romluan leadership has generally not been very nice (with the possible exception of Donatra), but then it still isn't as far as the RSE goes.

Point is I don't want to play a nice Romulan, its not the reason I am a fan of them. I would be more happy with a RSE third faction.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Use the Autofire luke
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I was under the impression that she was set up by the Tal'Shiar to removed her from the picture as a potential rival, not that she was necessarily responsible. (tal'Shiar never divulged their proof) There is a lot of bad blood between her and the Tal Shiar, and several NPCs mention that they doubt her involvement with the Hobus incident.

You're right. I see conflicting explanations. Either Sela was framed for the murder or she actually committed the murder. Either way, you're right. There is a lot of bad blood, at least according to path to 2409 stuff.

I'm not sure which parts of this lore are actually in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Nah. They helped her escape.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I always thought it looked like they're kidnapping her.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We don't know. So far in the storyline, they said Sela was not friendly with the Tal Shiar, and suddenly she work with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skonnskonn Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Romulans are NOT space hippies or farmers. That STO retcons them into it doesn't change that fact.

Just as how the Federation isn't a cadre of bloodthirsty bullies who shoot first and ask questions later, much like this game makes them out to be.

"But the Hobus supernova blahblahblah the Empire is broken". And did the Klingon Empire crumble after the destruction of Praxis? The Klingons actually DID come grovelling to the Federation for help, and how many of them actually joined Starfleet after their (very canon) alliance? ONE KLINGON.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    You're right. I see conflicting explanations. Either Sela was framed for the murder or she actually committed the murder. Either way, you're right. There is a lot of bad blood, at least according to path to 2409 stuff.

I'm not sure which parts of this lore are actually in the game.
    Yeah. It's pretty heavily implied that the evidence the Tal'Shiar gathered was fabricated, sicne they refused to divulge it. There is also the notion that Raheek's death was staged (sacrificing his family, even) since Sela was arrested only two hours later and tried/found guilty in a secret trial. There's also the matter of the Tal'Shiar siezing assets and arrestign her supporters, and Sela all but accusing the Tal'Shair of killing Tal'aura themselves.

Additionally, passages such as the following don't exactly portray Sela as the evil dictator (dictator, yes, but not mustache-twirling tal'shair levels of evil) that the revealed Legacy of Romulus material has shown so far:

The Romulan Star Empire was enjoying a time of peace that it hadn't seen since the destruction of the Romulan homeworld almost two decades before. Praetor Sela settled long-simmering disputes between colony worlds, opened the Romulus memorial at the remains of the homeworld, and gently shaped the Senate to her way of thinking.

"She's using a little bit of blackmail, a dose of charm and a lot of guile," said a Starfleet Intelligence operative on Nova Roma. "But Romulus hasn't had a leader who can pull people together like she can since Donatra disappeared."

Honestly, it doesn't sound like her mode of operation, and it certainly does not sound like her to *head* the Tal Shiar.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like her mode of operation, and it certainly does not sound like her to *head* the Tal Shiar.

Again, I'm calling Iconian indoctrination/impostor. The impostor being more likely - we'll probably get to rescue the real Sela at some point.
  • Options
    burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sollvax wrote: »

Nah, it has a bad motivator.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think they abducted her
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So'hot has the plans to a Secret Icionion weapon that can destroy Systems....but she was captured by Lord Hakeeve on a moon

That's no moon?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I appreciate the way in which the mythology of Star Trek Online embraces rather than downplays the nuances that have been apparent in Romulan culture throughout their history. The Romulans have always been divided. Most of the Romulan people lived in fear of the Tal Shiar and hated them as a result. The Empire was always split in this way. The introduction of the unificationists and, later, the Remans simply added further layers to this fractured culture. Star Trek Online's ongoing story quite naturally builds on this complex history in the aftermath of the destruction of the homeworlds.

I can't wait to participate in the new faction.