test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans lost their spark.

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    this how i fell i was very happy to here of a romulan faction and like very many others thought every time i was voting poll so on i was voting for The Star Empire and not sum Federation want to be faction but i do have to say not as happy as i ones was its like JJ has stuck it to romulans again and he has nothing to do with this game i know i will be trolled for this post with replys like cryptic cant please every one but i as a hard core romulan fan am hurt to see what JJ did and cryptic has dun with the romulans
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    JJ directs awesome Trek movies that are totally true to the spirit of the franchise.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    i know i will be trolled for this post with replys like cryptic cant please every one
    How is someone posting "Cryptic can't please everyone" trolling in any way shape or form?

I'm not sure you're using that word correctly. What is it you think trolling is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    How is someone posting "Cryptic can't please everyone" trolling in any way shape or form?

I'm not sure you're using that word correctly. What is it you think trolling is?

i will say i may have not used the word the way i meant to and my bad for that but i was meaning to say i would be trolled for my whining as it dose come off as that but its still how i fell
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The problem is that so many people whine about whining so it gets bad fast.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited March 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    I can safely say that there will NEVER be a Borg faction and there is a 99% chance that will never be a dominion faction. You can hope all you want but its not gonna happen.
    The Cardassian/Dominion faction came in second place in the poll Cryptic did asking which factions would people want in addition to the KDF.

There's a strong chance it will make its way into the game. In some form.

The Borg faction is also quite a popular player demand on these forums. And there already exists PC usable Borg Spheres as ships (the devs can fly them).

Resistance to these new faction ideas is ... futile!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    Well I guess I was wrong maybe about a cardassian/dominion faction but I'm still absolutely sure that there will never be a Borg faction.
    edited March 2013
    Well I guess I was wrong maybe about a cardassian/dominion faction but I'm still absolutely sure that there will never be a Borg faction.

borg i agree queen is the player of borg not players but cardassian/dominion hard to say now that you can get there ships from a lockbox

but that is my opinion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    See here's the thing about a Borg faction. It doesn't have to be the collective at all.

Just like the Romulans aren't the Romulan Star Empire. (Hey I just came full circle!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    See here's the thing about a Borg faction. It doesn't have to be the collective at all.

Just like the Romulans aren't the Romulan Star Empire. (Hey I just came full circle!)

I was about to say no borg faction.....but then you proved me wrong.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
    edited March 2013
    I'm still absolutely sure it won't happen cuz we can already play as liberated Borg
    edited March 2013
    I'm still absolutely sure it won't happen cuz we can already play as liberated Borg
    You could already use the alien race to make a Romulan (complete with Nero tattoo!) on the fed side. But that wasn't exactly cutting it was it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I don't see why the Republic would be any different.

Romulans are Romulans, the only real difference is the Republic is willing to play nice with the Federation and KDF both if it means an advantage against those who would subjugate them, such as Sela.

Literally the only thing the Romulan Republic need sacrifice is a certain amount of its xenophobia. I haven't seen any Romulan yet, not even D'tan, who advocates folding under the Federation.

Also, you may recall from "Face of the Enemy" (one of my five favorite TNG eps, BTW) that Stefan DeSeve (the former Starfleet officer who defected to Romulus, and then defected back) described the Romulans as "a very moral people", a point reinforced later in the episode by Cmdr. Toreth's response to an alien ship getting blown away by her first officer - and again in Star Trek Nemesis, in which Donatra turns against Shinzon after learning of his plans to use the Scimitar's thalaron weapon to destroy Earth. Evidently even back in the 24th century, the Romulans' xenophobia only went so far, as outright murder or genocide against other sentient species was still verboten (madmen like Nero notwithstanding).

Only the Tal Shiar were depicted as truly amoral in canon, to the point where whatever fear they instilled in the regular Romulan military was all but overcome by loathing. In that respect the regular military isn't all that far removed from the so-called "hippies" of New Romulus. As long as the content writers have kept that in mind, LoR should be just fine.
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A meme just popped into my head:

"Begs Cryptic for a Romulan faction; complains when they put one in."

Someone should find an appropriate picture and roll with that.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bloctoad wrote: »
    You asked for Playable Romulans and you got Playable Romulans. But now you don't like them?

*basks in the warm glow of Saw This Coming*

People had assumed playing as a Romulan would include being a member of the RSE in some way. Its looking like that won't be the case? It'd be like playing a human... that wasn't a citizen of the Federation.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    People had assumed playing as a Romulan would include being a member of the RSE in some way. Its looking like that won't be the case? It'd be like playing a human... that wasn't a citizen of the Federation.
    It's not that simple. In STO's timeline the RSE has fractured into ~ 3 groups. You'll be playing as a member of one of those groups.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

"Begs Cryptic for a playable Romulan Star Empire; complains when they give you Romulan Republic instead."

If you don't understand that I don't know what to say. Imagine the crapstorm if instead of playable Federation we'd have a faction of human rebels fighting against the Federation. But hey, at least you get to play a human.

I hope we can at least use the I.R.W. designations for the ships.
    edited March 2013
    It's not that simple. In STO's timeline the RSE has fractured into ~ 3 groups. You'll be playing as a member of one of those groups.

is not one of them still The Star Empire?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    is not one of them still The Star Empire?
    I'm not entirely sure.... We need more data. It's why I said ~3. We know there's D'Tan's group, the Tal'Shiar's group, and the Romulan Republic, but we don't know if Sela has her own grou. So there's either 3 or 4. It's probable that either the Tal'Shiar group, or (if Sela isn't the instigator of the Romulan Republic's formation) Sela's group uses the name RSE.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2013
    I'm not entirely sure.... We need more data. It's why I said ~3. We know there's D'Tan's group, the Tal'Shiar's group, and the Romulan Republic, but we don't know if Sela has her own grou. So there's either 3 or 4. It's probable that either the Tal'Shiar group, or (if Sela isn't the instigator of the Romulan Republic's formation) Sela's group uses the name RSE.

well if this is any thing http://www.stowiki.org/Romulan_Star_Empire it dose not say The Star Empire is dead

now it dose how ever say Current head of state Vacant since Empress Sela's disappearance in 2409 and we all know who coming home in may :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    well if this is any thing http://www.stowiki.org/Romulan_Star_Empire it dose not say The Star Empire is dead

now it dose how ever say Current head of state Vacant since Empress Sela's disappearance in 2409 and we all know who coming home in may :)
    True, but it will be out of date as soon as the May update hits. :p (STOwiki is written by STO players, NOT the devs)

EDIT: I didn't say it was dead either, I said fractured.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2013
    True, but it will be out of date as soon as the May update hits. :p (STOwiki is written by STO players, NOT the devs)

EDIT: I didn't say it was dead either, I said fractured.

true but where dose all this info come from the game not like ppl sit around all day making wiki's up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited March 2013
    true but where dose all this info come from the game not like ppl sit around all day making wiki's up
    Correct. I was just saying that the people who write the wiki(including myself) don't know everything because they (usually) don't have inside information.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • krovankrovan Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm actually happy with the storyline Cryptic is weaving around the introduction of romulans as a playable faction.

Romulans were always interesting in the show, they were as advanced if not more than the federation, but so secretive and hostile to federation interference or help. My hope with the storyline would be an initial love fest with the Federation, then an escalation of hostilities as the Federations do gooder morality begins to interfere in Romulan Policy.

It's important that the Romulans don't just turn into another federation with green ships, otherwise opportunities for storytelling and conflict will be watered down by heavy handed federation focused morality.

One of the reasons playing a Klingon is enjoyable is because every action in a Klingon mission doesn't require the author to be bound by things like the prime directive and starfleet procedure, and morality. In a Klingon mission it's ok if the player arrives at a location and takes the violence first option, or interferes with another species culture.

Romulan faction players should have their own freedoms as well, perhaps missions that add elements of sneaky back stabby options, or just moral gray areas that go counter to federation values and views. There are great opportunities for this in that you have a species struggling against a horrible event that has crippled them, and now hard choices must be made.

I'd love to see choices between saving remote colonies or sacrificing them to support the fragile core as it rebuilds, or even marauding and stealing to get supplies to avoid starvation. New Romulus is a bright cheery place, but I remember that ravaged mining town in the Romulan featured episodes, it was almost post apocalyptic, and it tweaked the imagination.

Hopefully Klingon players will also see more missions like Alpha, or even missions about the other factions in the KDF, a few missions explaining the Orions and Gorn would be great.
    http://soundcloud.com/krovan-1
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    To be fair, they did have an alliance back in the TOS days. That's how the Rommies got ahold of Klingon D7s, and how the Klingons got cloaking devices (I think the Klingons got the better end of this deal).

Why do people keep saying this like it's canon?
    It's never mentions on TV or film.

In fact it's more likely that the Klingons captured a Romulan BOP with a cloaking device, and the Romulans captured some D-7's.

Plus Romulans had bloody warp drive well before (i.e. in ENT) Also basing the fact that Romulans had an interstellar Empire with no warp drive, on a small line from Scotty (the guy who made a Constitution Class go to warp 14!) is kind of silly.
    sollvax wrote: »
    Frankly the Romulan way to deal with a borg ground mission would be orbital bombardment
    why "rescue" borged up klingons when you can vape them

That would make for a very interesting STF for the Romulans.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying this like it's canon?
    It's never mentions on TV or film..

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan-Klingon_Alliance
    edited March 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    "Begs Cryptic for a playable Romulan Star Empire; complains when they give you Romulan Republic instead."

If you don't understand that I don't know what to say. Imagine the crapstorm if instead of playable Federation we'd have a faction of human rebels fighting against the Federation. But hey, at least you get to play a human.

I hope we can at least use the I.R.W. designations for the ships.

Actually, being a rebel fighting the Federation sounds interesting (something like the Maquis).

And without knowing how the Romulan storyline will progress, all this whining is futile.

If you want to predict doom and gloom, the new Tholian rep and what's sure to be the plethora of bugs and technical issues that will be coming in May are what you should be focusing on.
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013

"I wish I was world famous!"

"Your wish is granted. You are now Hitler. Don't complain, you are world famous."
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    "I wish I was world famous!"

"Your wish is granted. You are now Hitler. Don't complain, you are world famous."

Was that Twilight Zone, Outer Limits...I can't remember, but I swear I've seen a show where something like that happened.
  • genericolagenericola Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Was that Twilight Zone, Outer Limits...I can't remember, but I swear I've seen a show where something like that happened.

I think I've seen a futurama episode where one of the 'scary door' gags had that happen.