Install Arc
Options

Romulans lost their spark.

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, if the Romulans have lost their spark already, it might not be a bad thing. Think about it people, do you really want sparkly Romulans? Do you?
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Honestly, if the Romulans have lost their spark already, it might not be a bad thing. Think about it people, do you really want sparkly Romulans? Do you?

lol I see what you did there :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hartzilla wrote: »
    The only intention I got was that the Romulans had started using Klingon ships, and the only thing I remember hearing about why the show makers did that was becuase they lost the Romulan ship model.

Yes, the Romulans were using Klingon ships because the Romulan Bird-of-Prey was (apocryphally) stepped on by Roddenberry, but that doesn't change that all of sudden, on-screen, the Romulans were using Klingon ships, making the viewer go "What?" So the Klingon-Romulan alliance was concocted as an explanation.

See guys, this stuff isn't real. It's just a television show. There was no sixty-year plan on how everything was going to progress from The Original Series to Enterprise. The writers were just winging it, based on the needs of the story and around production issues, like the lost Bird-of-Prey model. Do you know why command color changed from gold to red between TOS and TNG? Because Patrick Stewart would've looked like TRIBBLE in a gold uniform.

It's not worth trying to rationalize things to try and make it all fit together. Romulans didn't have warp drive, then they did. The writers of Enterprise chose to ignore that because in the long run, it doesn't matter. Or maybe they just didn't know in the first place. Still doesn't make it matter. But developing convoluted explanations for the disparity between TOS and Enterprise and trying to rationalize things like Scotty's line about impulse power in that context is just silly.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Do you know why command color changed from gold to red between TOS and TNG? Because Patrick Stewart would've looked like TRIBBLE in a gold uniform.
    That's odd. I heard it was to dispel the redshirt phenomenon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Not sure Tasha Yar would agree with you. Just saying security has never had great long term advancement in Starfleet.
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes, I was asking about Star Trek: The Search For Spock, aka ST III, not one of the JJ movies.

Oh boy. You need an archaeologist or something... There is some extra stuff on the Blue Ray version apparently, like a segment about the effects. But haven't seen that, still got the Laserdisc version. It's an upgrade from VHS at least. LOL

The thing that was (technically) most interesting on the green side of things, was the brand new cloaking effect, made by Industrial Light & Magic.

---

• Options
    edited March 2013

It's the same reason engineering got switched from Red to Gold. LeVar Burton simply looked better in gold. The costume designer's job is to make the actors look good (within the context of the story), not worry about things like "the redshirt phenomenon."
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Not sure Tasha Yar would agree with you. Just saying security has never had great long term advancement in Starfleet.
    But that's just it. With the shift in colors, viewers didn't know who might or might not die or get injured. Surely they wouldn't kill the captain or riker. But they were in red.

It was a subtle paradigm shift for the viewership.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It's the same reason engineering got switched from Red to Gold. LeVar Burton simply looked better in gold. The costume designer's job is to make the actors look good (within the context of the story), not worry about things like "the redshirt phenomenon."
    Nah. I'm going to stick with the hollywood mythology I heard about that. And you can stick with the mythology you heard. They couldn't both possibly be correct. I mean, heck, if that were the case, that might mean producers and executives had some say in the direction of the show, instead of just costume designers. And we all know that's pure madness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Nah. I'm going to stick with the hollywood mythology I heard about that. And you can stick with the mythology you heard. They couldn't both possibly be correct. I mean, heck, if that were the case, that might mean producers and executives had some say in the direction of the show, instead of just costume designers. And we all know that's pure madness.

Producers and executives really don't give a **** about "the redshirt phenomenon". They do care if their actors look bad on screen. So do the directors. So do (especially) the actors. And anyway, audiences are not so stupid as to not be able to figure out who is expendable and who is not without color coding. There was no "paradigm-shift"; the law of economy of characters is pretty universal, with rare exceptions (like Song of Ice and Fire). Star Trek, however, is not one of the exceptions.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    What?

There are two stories, one is the model was lost somewhere and they couldnit find it, yet apparently they managed to so since apparently its in the hands of a private collector according someone at the Smithsonian.

The other is the person that made the model was not part of the union, they tried to pull a trick but the union found out and said they would not press the case if the person received no credit and no payment, the model was returned and destroyed by him.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Romulan_Bird-of-Prey_%2823rd_century%29#Studio_model
    Yet another reason why I hate unions....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Producers and executives really don't give a **** about "the redshirt phenomenon".
    Who were the producers on TNG?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]