Install Arc
Options

Romulans lost their spark.

Comments

• Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Democracys always have back stabbing (look at ancient rome or modern Europe for examples)

Democracies.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Spellings are interchangable (theres more than one language out there and not everyone is from kansas)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To an extent, I think it's a case that some of the folks out there did not necessarily want to play Romulans - they wanted to play the RSE.

It would be like folks asking for playable Klingons...and uh, you know - that first mission there - the Klingon farmers? :)

It's like a genie - have to be careful what you wish for, eh?

They should be happy they're not getting missions from Madran, eh? :)
    Exactly, we are gettign the equivalent of klingon farmers. And while there is nothing is inherently wrong with the concept of Klingon farmers, there would be something wrong if the Klingon faction was a breakaway group of farmers instead of the fearsome, honor-obsessed warriors we have all come to expect when the terms 'Klingon' and 'faction' are used together i nthe context of an MMO.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Klingon farmers are the best farmers there are! Their targs are the most honourable, and their bloodwine the spiciest!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, I'd say that D'Tan and his group is more akin to the guys trying to grow Dewan Herb Gardens on their windowsills. So it could have been worse...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    D'tan strikes me as a hippy
    The man is A bit "john lennon"
    and the sooner someone puts a phaser on overload in his soup the better
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    D'tan strikes me as a hippy
    The man is A bit "john lennon"
    and the sooner someone puts a phaser on overload in his soup the better

lmfao lololololololololololol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To an extent, I think it's a case that some of the folks out there did not necessarily want to play Romulans - they wanted to play the RSE.

It would be like folks asking for playable Klingons...and uh, you know - that first mission there - the Klingon farmers? :)

It's like a genie - have to be careful what you wish for, eh?

They should be happy they're not getting missions from Madran, eh? :)

My thoughts exactly. It comes down to this:

When you wish for something, be as specific as you can. For any open spaces will be filled with unknown matter.

In this case they (Cryptic) are delivering only in a technical sense, due to severe limitations. Only the Wishmaster can afford something more. And he would not be so compliant in the end. :P

---

• Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    D'tan and his fellow hippies can squat on that radioactive dump of a planet and call it New Romulus all they want, but it doesn't change that they're basically 1% of the entire empire, a bunch of wannabe Vulcans and essentially traitors who are selling the fruits of Romulan science and technology to the hated enemies of the empire for the protection they themselves can't provide.

I sincerely hope the Republic is nothing like them.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

My thoughts exactly. It comes down to this:

When you wish for something, be as specific as you can. For any open spaces will be filled with unknown matter.

In this case they (Cryptic) are delivering only in a technical sense, due to severe limitations. Only the Wishmaster can afford something more. And he would not be so compliant in the end. :P

---

Reminds me about all those stories of genies corrupting a Wish:

"I want.....a Romulan faction!"

"Your wish is granted!"

"What....but....these aren't Romulans....these are hippies!"

"You should have been more specific"
  • Options
    edited March 2013

"Your wish is granted!"

I have been in almost every thing from romulan polls to threads and said I don't want a fed/kdf lap dog
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If they are hippies, then Cartman of the USS Hippy Driller will have to bombard them....
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ok heres the plan

We tell all the American Federation captains they are communists/liberals
    We tell all the British Federation Captains they are republicans
    We tell everyone else they are hippies

Meanwhile we tell the Klingons that the Romulans said "dreads are girlie"

and mop up afterwards
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    I have been in almost every thing from romulan polls to threads and said I don't want a fed/kdf lap dog
    "Ah but you see, technically they aren't Fed lapdogs, only inspired by their ideals of personal freedom and liberty to rebel against the oppressive RSE! Technically I granted your wish!"

"So do you want to wish for that Cardassian Faction now?"
  • Options
    daroskadaroska Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This whole topic reminds me of the original film, Bedazzled and it's remake.

So be careful what you wish for.

As a deal with a ferengi will never turn out good, but a group of them? bad, very bad..

:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    D'tan and his fellow hippies can squat on that radioactive dump of a planet and call it New Romulus all they want, but it doesn't change that they're basically 1% of the entire empire, a bunch of wannabe Vulcans and essentially traitors who are selling the fruits of Romulan science and technology to the hated enemies of the empire for the protection they themselves can't provide.

I sincerely hope the Republic is nothing like them.

Qft!!!!!!!

I'll earn my 10char though. Romulus is loosely based on Rome (because Roddenberry wasnt that good) and Sela could be a non-tyrant Caeser and it would still sort of work. But it still needs to be the Roman empire. The group-huggers on New Romulus should be crushed under the boot for daring to use the name if no other reason. Who do they think they are?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    "Ah but you see, technically they aren't Fed lapdogs, only inspired by their ideals of personal freedom and liberty to rebel against the oppressive RSE! Technically I granted your wish!"

"So do you want to wish for that Cardassian Faction now?"

they take help from feds kdf so mite as well be lap dogs

any one remember spock asking the Vulcans for help to save the home world? and they reply no? why the hell would any romulan ask for help from any one after that?

lets see I ask Vulcans for help they say no then im going to turn out to be like one 30 some years later I don't see that really happening

just my opinion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013

"Your wish is granted!"

It's a playable faction that uses Romulan technology and has an HQ in Romulan territory.

Sounds adequately Romulan to me. :p so what if they're not the same as the old empire?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Qft!!!!!!!

I'll earn my 10char though. Romulus is loosely based on Rome (because Roddenberry wasnt that good) and Sela could be a non-tyrant Caeser and it would still sort of work. But it still needs to be the Roman empire. The group-huggers on New Romulus should be crushed under the boot for daring to use the name if no other reason. Who do they think they are?

You do know that Rome was a republic before it was an empire, right? And that even as a republic, it was aggressively expansionistic? That American Republic grew on a concept called Manifest Destiny? That the First French Republic quite ably fought against virtually all the rest of Europe?

Republic does not automatically mean "hippy".
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Republic does not automatically mean "hippy".
    we're not talking about the general case we're talkinga bout the D'Tan case
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm so depressed. It's March 24 and already the Romulan Faction has lost its spark.

:(

Oh well, maybe they'll get it right with the Dominion faction or playable Borg faction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Honestly I don't mind them not being in war with the Feds or the KDF.... this gives the game a DS9 feeling.
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm so depressed. It's March 24 and already the Romulan Faction has lost its spark.

:(

Oh well, maybe they'll get it right with the Dominion faction or playable Borg faction.

If "spark" is what the man needs, how about this one?;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-YeD4L-bg
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I can safely say that there will NEVER be a Borg faction and there is a 99% chance that will never be a dominion faction. You can hope all you want but its not gonna happen.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Honestly I don't mind them not being in war with the Feds or the KDF.... this gives the game a DS9 feeling.

But uh...the RR will be at war with the Feds and KDF.
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seriously the romulan race is xenophobic to the core. The level of propaganda that was distributed over countless years does not rub off overnight. Couple that with the Hobus event still being pretty raw. I honestly think that the romulans we are currently helping would be a small splinter group, nothing more.

That's actually not correct. The Romulan government was isolationist for many years and entirely too many people take that to mean they were 'xenophobic' but the facts just don't support that case.

First and foremost, in TOS the Romulans were prepared to offer Spock, an Alien, full Romulan citizenship. In TOS the Romulans happily signed a treaty with the Klingons that held for about 70 years. in TNG they went back to working with Klingons without a second thought. In DS9 they worked with Cardassians, Humans and Klingons.

There may be some tendency towards Xenophobia, but to say the people are 'xenophobic to the core' is just not substantiated by the evidence. It's an intellectually lazy interpretation that relegates an entire race into some overblown stereotype.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jermbot wrote: »
    in TNG they went back to working with Klingons without a second thought. In DS9 they worked with Cardassians, Humans and Klingons.

in TNG that was Sela not the hole star empire do you even get why they where being help from sela so she could start civil war that would put the Klingon off guard to a romulan invasion in DS9 that was The Tal Shiar not The Star Empire they are they C.I.A. of the romulan and that was to stop a founder invasion of the alpha quadrant

only time The Star Empire has work with any one with out a hidden agenda is when they help the Fed's and the KDF defeat The Dominion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    only time The Star Empire has work with any one with out a hidden agenda is when they help the Fed's and the KDF defeat The Dominion

And even then only because they became convinced they were next on the Dominion's list.
    Before that they were quite content to sit aside and watch the Klingon Empire and the Federation burn.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lizwei wrote: »
    And even then only because they became convinced they were next on the Dominion's list.
    Before that they were quite content to sit aside and watch the Klingon Empire and the Federation burn.

more like tricked into it don't forget garak planted a bomb on that senator shuttle :)

and I would love for that info to find its way to all romulan not only that but sisko new about it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    in TNG that was Sela not the hole star empire do you even get why they where being help from sela so she could start civil war that would put the Klingon off guard to a romulan invasion in DS9 that was The Tal Shiar not The Star Empire they are they C.I.A. of the romulan and that was to stop a founder invasion of the alpha quadrant

And Sela was ofcourse operating alone, with no support or orders from her higher ups. :rolleyes:

As for the Romulans being devious, deceptive, self serving, backstabbing TRIBBLE who only help others to serve some agenda of their own, I won't argue against that. In fact, I don't have too, since that's not the same as being "xenophobic."