test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulans lost their spark.

Comments

• sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When it comes to Trek Canon, Scotty > You folks.

Very well.

Maybe they have warp capabilities, but not on all the ships, and use bases to cover the conventional ranges involved. This exclude any fancy explanations, and preserve the integrity of a certain engineer. It does however involve unknown bases and ships...

This approach might be based on limitations of any kind, be that linked to resources, or production capabilities at the time.

The plausibility of an asymmetric distribution of this "core" technology, is probably worth a few pages by itself. But it's still better than Space Unicorns. ;)

---

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Only in your mind...

But just for sake of discussion...

Please enlighten me as to...

How the hell did the Romulan Ship get there without Warp Drive??

And how the hell did it manage to stay ahead of the Enterprise, which was obviously traveling at Warp speeds, during the encounter??

Please, only keep to given canon references to try and prove your speculations.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have the episode on DVD and just rewatched it. Scotty was talking about the BoP's OBSERVED speed. They had no other data available to determine if that vessel could move at warp or not. At that point in the ep they had only breifly even gotten a visual of it. They had no scan data of the ship, only a handful of observations.

If the Romulan ship could move at warp speed, why didn't it? They had done their job and were on the way home. There was no reason for them to be dilly-dallying around, at all. And it wasn't to bait the Enterprise; for the first part of the episode, the Romulans didn't even know the Enterprise was there.

They were on their way home. At impulse speed.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If the Romulan ship could move at warp speed, why didn't it? They had done their job and were on the way home. There was no reason for them to be dilly-dallying around, at all. And it wasn't to bait the Enterprise; for the first part of the episode, the Romulans didn't even know the Enterprise was there.

To conserve fuel, if I remember correctly...

This indicates to me that their warp engines (those two obvious things at the end of the wings) plus the plasma weapon, most likely were not very efficient at what they were meant to do and the ship was too small to carry extra fuel for a prolonged fight.

Perhaps this is the reason the Romulans developed a "Singularity Drive" for their future ships...?

This also doesn't preclude the fact that at impulse, it would take them longer than their life-times to get back to the Romulan Home System.
    (never mind getting there to begin with)

Perhaps they were using Impulse just to get back to their side of the Neutral Zone and/or would engage their Warp Drive in short bursts in order to conserve fuel.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Impulse can mean a lot of things. Many different methods of propulsion count as 'impulse' within ST. Fusion Drives, Subspace, blah blah blah. Impulse doesn't necessarily mean 'slow'. The Good 'ol Connie could go warp .5 on impulse, or about half the speed of light. Even if they didn't have warp power, it is feasible that they could cross the neutral zone even without warp.

However, the Birds of Prey do have warp nacelles, so it's more than reasonable that they had warp by that time.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Are folks still going on about this?

Maybe the ships Starfleet knew about did not have Warp Drive but others may have.

If a Romulan told them they did not have Warp Drive its very probable he would lie if they DID have it.

Maybe Scotty was merely misinformed, he isn't an intelligence agent after all.

Most importantly, who cares if they had it or not back then? Its not like its hard to retrofit some a Warp Drive into the ancient mothballed ships, or to build new ones along similar design lines with Warp Drive built it.
  • darkelfofficerdarkelfofficer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    KIRK: Yes, well gentlemen, the question still remains. Can we engage them with a reasonable possibility of victory?
    SCOTT: No question. Their power is simple impulse.
    KIRK: Meaning we can outrun them?
    STILES: To be used in chasing them or retreating, sir?
    -"Balance of Terror"

They are quite clearly talking about the speed of the Romulan vessel.

But then, in "The Enterprise Incident":
    SCOTT: That's a Klingon ship! But it couldn't be, not in this area.
    SPOCK: Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon design.

And then later in the same episode, when the Enterprise is trying to escape from the Neutral Zone at warp 9:
    KIRK: Mister Spock, distance from the Romulan vessel?
    SPOCK: One hundred and fifty thousand kilometres, Captain, and closing very rapidly.

It's right there. Romulans were written to not be warp capable, then in a later episode to have warp drive comparable to, or even better than, the Enterprise. That's the way it happened. The most reasonable explanation under the circumstances is a treaty between the Klingons and Romulans.

Oh, and just to ice the cake:
    Historically bitter enemies, these two powers had a brief, failed alliance to share technology around 2268.
    -"Treaty: Romulan/Klingon" Event Card, Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG

What's the point in denying any of this?
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    The Romulan /Klingon tech exchange Warp drive for cloaks is HARD CANON
    indeed the very hardest

It has been stated publically by Gene himself
    Ergo its harder than Rikers pecs

Romulan drone 5.5 warp in 2154
    Romulan War during 2156-2160 is nonsence without warp-drived romulans
    Neutral Zone is nonsence without Romulan War
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tmassx wrote: »
    Romulan drone 5.5 warp in 2154
    Romulan War during 2156-2160 is nonsence without warp-drived romulans
    Neutral Zone is nonsence without Romulan War

This is lost on some people here. The Romulans are impossible as an antagonist to Starfleet without some type of FTL capability.

The Earth-Romulan War doesn't happen and the Neutral Zone Incursion doesn't happen.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Enterprise = NON CANON
    its holodeck

But for those who insist it must be

The Romulan human war is more than possible at sublight
    Especially as Enterprise introduces DRONE ships
    Which could have been launched centuries before and travelled sublight to target controlled by mindless computers
    Also the "warp drones" clearly can't carry a live crew indicating that romulans do not possess the tech for a manned warp vessel

Where Enterprise contradicts TOS Enterprise is wrong ALWAYS
    Live long and Prosper
  • romulanwayromulanway Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    for me only option for playable romulan is ;

no alien species & ships

Sela is usurpator , with her Hyrogen mercenaries ,must be eliminated

Push remans in underground where is their place

Destroy traitors on New Romulus & their friends from Federation & Klinon Empire

Liberate homeworld ,planet Vulcan

It is how ll I play main favorite faction !
    LoR should to be about rebuilding Romulan Star Empire,liberating Donatra from borg collective ,confronting Sela & madness of Tal Shiar,claiming Vulcan as new romulan homeworld...
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The big question in context of Romulans with warp speed is what certain terms actually mean.
    Does "their power is simple impulse" mean it has only impulse engines, or just fusion reactors?
    The way Star Trek's FTL works (pump plasma trough a series of coils) is just as possible with fusion generators.
    The result will only be a lot less efficient, which would exlain why the Romulans were constantly talking about their fuel status.

If we assume "warp power" mean matter-antimatter then the Romulans got that technology from the Klingons, not FTL propulsion in general.

The distances in "Balance of Terror" also make no sense if the Romulan ship moved at a speed slower than warp, cloaked or not.
    We see a moving dot representing the Enterprise on the viewscreen.
    The Enterprise moves a "maximum speed" at it takes two or three minutes (the cutting makes it difficult to be certain) to move from one square on the pat to the other.
    Maximum speed in the 1st season appeared to be warp 8 on the old scale (meaning 512 times the speed of light).
    It took the Romulan ship an hour to get from one outpost to the next...which is frankly impossible when the Enteprise moves at several hundread times the speed of the Romulan ship and it still takes minutes to get there.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3006/romulanneutralzonemapno.jpg

So IMO, the fuzzy terminology can lead to the assumption the Romulans don't have FTL, but the events of the show indicate otherwise..not to mention they don't exclude the possibility of FTL using fusion power either.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Enterprise = NON CANON
    its holodeck

Which could have been launched centuries before and travelled sublight to target controlled by mindless computers
    Also the "warp drones" clearly can't carry a live crew indicating that romulans do not possess the tech for a manned warp vessel

OMG, not only that you seem to hate ENT, but you probably weren't paying any attention at all while you were watching it, if you were in fact, watching it.

Before they even introduced the Romulan drone ships in ENT, there was that episode in the Romulan minefield where Enterprise got stuck. If you watched it, you probably noticed the two Romulan birds of prey that gave Enterprise a deadline to leave the field before they blast it to oblivion. So clearly they possesed the capability and tech. to have a manned warp vessel.

I'm gonna' tell you again, just because you may not like it it doesn't make it any less canon.
    It's also not a holodeck program. Only the last episode was portrayed as a holodeck program, probably because the writers didn't know what to do with themselves.
    You have debated this theory in the KDF forums as well and there are people there you asked you to provide at least one credible source of information that would confirm your theory that ENT happened on a holodeck.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2013
    OMG, not only that you seem to hate ENT, but you probably weren't paying any attention at all while you were watching it, if you were in fact, watching it.

only once (per episode) it was not worth the time
    Before they even introduced the Romulan drone ships in ENT, there was that episode in the Romulan minefield where Enterprise got stuck. If you watched it, you probably noticed the two Romulan birds of prey that gave Enterprise a deadline to leave the field before they blast it to oblivion. So clearly they possesed the capability and tech. to have a manned warp vessel.

yes non canon
    by definition anything AFTER Gene died is soft canon

like a Narnia novel written After C s Lewis died or me adding a new book to the bible
    And the people who wrote Enterprise had not paid attention

I'm gonna' tell you again, just because you may not like it it doesn't make it any less canon.

and just because you do does not make it any more canon
    It's also not a holodeck program. Only the last episode was portrayed as a holodeck program, probably because the writers didn't know what to do with themselves.

I wonder why they simply did not End the series with the episode without Riker
    They put him in to Remove the whole series from canon
    You have debated this theory in the KDF forums as well and there are people there you asked you to provide at least one credible source of information that would confirm your theory that ENT happened on a holodeck.

"End Program" case proven
    Live long and Prosper
  • berniestompaberniestompa Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well this post quickly escalated. :)

I think I may have used very tight definitions to what the romulans culture is like. Let me explain myself a little.

From the TV shows we can see that the romulans do nothing unless it would weaken, and at the same time, strengthen themselves. As a Government they are xenophobic, they are also highly racist. They believe that they are completely superior to all races. I think the idea of naz... ( cant say that word) Germany springs to mind. This was seen constantly through out the TV series. The only reason the actively started showing up was due to the borg destroying colonies in the neutral zone.

As their government is based on the roman senate then this would imply that it is a democracy, yes there is an emporer, however this does not detract from the similarities. The senators still speak for their constituents and therefore, through propaganda, this would mean that the people are in favour of the whole government outlook.

Then we need to add that this is a militaristic society. The place the romulan military in the highest regards. This would have been impressed upon children at a very young age, propaganda and parenting. This would mean that the current new romulan hippies would be a very small outspoken minority. So you have a race that is, for arguments sake, partially xenophobic mixed with alot of arogance and racism to the other races of the galaxy. Does it not make sense that the new expansion should bring the Empire back. Re-establish the neutral zone and then focus on putting down this rebellion by the romulan hippies? I think so.

What I really do not understand is how the destruction of one planet in the Star Empire caused the entire empire to be in the state it is in. Yes I understand the power grab but not been blasted back to nerely a pre-warp culture. Romulan space is vast and the loss of the homeworld, while brutal, would not have reduced them to a bunch of snivelling fed loving, klingon pandering monkeys. Although saying that, the Tal Shiar was outta business for a while I suppose.

Give us the Romulan Star Empire Cryptic. Bring it back with a fleet of warbirds, plasma torpedos, evil, underhanded, racist, xenophobic TRIBBLE that we all know and love. Oh and throw in some Tal Shiar assassinations, preferably of high ranking federation and klingon officers. That admiral has been sitting in that office on Earth dock for far too long :D

Oh and let us destroy the Enterprise and finally mount its broken hull somewhere significant, perhaps in the ruins of that camp called New Romulus :)
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Have fun arguing that everything after season 4 of TNG never happened. I'm sure plenty of people will buy into that idea...
    edited March 2013
    Well you have to admit thats when it all went to hell

Riker starts being "carter the unstopable sex machine" suddenly almost everything is sentient and highly advanced
    Then the aweful movies and yet more Riker "getting some" moments

This is why you NEVER let a B list cast member direct
    Live long and Prosper
    edited March 2013

I really don't. The majority of the defining arcs of the post-TOS era didn't occur until after Gene's death.

Dislike them as much as you want, it doesn't make them any less real.
    edited March 2013
    Im pretty sure he would never have tolerated Neelix
    Live long and Prosper
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh for the love of God I am getting sick to death of reading the word Canon, could this discussion get any more disgustingly nerdy?
    For decades it's been an accepted fact that Romulans got warp Drive from the Klingons in exchange for Cloaking tech during the TOS era, before that they were flying around in nuclear powered tubs that took years to go anywhere and that's the way the story was before Enterprise came along and screwed everything up.
    Enterprise butchered what you guys call canon, it's one of the shows biggest fails.
    But you know what, WHO THE F... CARES. You wanted Romulans, you got Romulans. In spite of the fact you've been playing a game set in a universe where Romulus and Remus were destroyed and the RSE was all but decimated and spread to the 4 winds, they still managed to give you the faction in probably the only way they could that would fit with the story in game. Instead of looking like idiots nerdraging about insignificant minutia, you should be figuring out what you want to do with what you're going to get.
    Honestly this kind of nonsense is why Star Trek fans are generally regarded as a complete laughingstock.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Oh for the love of God I am getting sick to death of reading the word Canon, could this discussion get any more disgustingly nerdy?
    For decades it's been an accepted fact that Romulans got warp Drive from the Klingons in exchange for Cloaking tech during the TOS era, before that they were flying around in nuclear powered tubs that took years to go anywhere and that's the way the story was before Enterprise came along and screwed everything up.
    Enterprise butchered what you guys call canon, it's one of the shows biggest fails.
    But you know what, WHO THE F... CARES. You wanted Romulans, you got Romulans. In spite of the fact you've been playing a game set in a universe where Romulus and Remus were destroyed and the RSE was all but decimated and spread to the 4 winds, they still managed to give you the faction in probably the only way they could that would fit with the story in game. Instead of looking like idiots nerdraging about insignificant minutia, you should be figuring out what you want to do with what you're going to get.
    Honestly this kind of nonsense is why Star Trek fans are generally regarded as a complete laughingstock.

Am I the only one who sees the hilarious levels of irony in this statement?
    edited March 2013
    Am I the only one who sees the hilarious levels of irony in this statement?

No you're not. I can see the meme pictues caption now-

"Complains about people whinnig over canon, whines about how Enterprise screwed up canon."

IMHO, TNG didn't get good until after control was wrestled away from Gene around the third season. We wouldn't have episoded like The Best of Both Worlds or Yesterday's Enterprise if that hadn't happened. It would just contiuned to be TOS Rehashed.
    Riker starts being "carter the unstopable sex machine"

That's different from Kirk, how?
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh I'm not whining, I'm laughing my gluteus maximus off. The point is it doesn't really matter, it is what it is, you can look like an idiot crying about not getting your beloved RSE or you can just roll with it and play the friggin game.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Maybe we wont get to play as the Empire, but whos to say the Empire, did not start out as a republic? In the words of star trek armada 2 " A strong Empire begins with a firm foundation"
    That being said I better get the chance to do some major extermination of the Iconians. They try do a we must be diplomatic run with the Romulans, like they did with the Klingons, then yea this expansion will be a failure.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2013

yes non canon

By that logic after Gene died they could have made Darth Vader the captain of the Enterprise and it wouldn't matter. :P

and just because you do does not make it any more canon

It's not me saying it, it's CBS saying it. Everything you have seen on screen counts as canon, unless stated otherwise.

I wonder why they simply did not End the series with the episode without Riker
    They put him in to Remove the whole series from canon

Because Enterprise was suposed to air for 7 seasons as all the other ST series besides TOS (that was filmed in a completely different environment), but CBS had some internal issues and decided to cut it short. That episode probably wasn't suposed to be the last one, but they had to pitch in Riker and the holodeck to amount some kind of closure at least without leaving the people with mouths open and WTF faces when they read "end of series" at the end of that episode.
    Again, I ask you to provide any evidence or statement from company officials that will confirm they put Riker to remove ENT from canon.

"End Program" case proven

"End Program" indeed. Because continuing this discussion would be meaningless since you failed to prove anything so far.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Enterprise = NON CANON
    its holodeck

Uh huh, so the Romulans wanted to conquer Earth a couple of centuries BEFORE EARTH INVENTED THE WARP DRIVE. Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Enterprise = NON CANON
    its holodeck

So basically that would mean some uber fortune teller foretold that the Romulans would meet Humans and go to war with them hundreds of years before, even knowing what direction to send their ships. Um, sure.

And let's not forget of the Romulan agent in the Vulcan High Command (and Admiral Valdore's meeting with that agent). Hard to do that with no FTL capability.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is the thread still in feeding mode?

Well consider this.... if the creators did not want the romulan ship to have a warp drive, why did they give it warp nacelles?

Or..maybe I did it, gone back in time and glued those warp nacelles on the romulan bird of prey? :rolleyes:
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2013

It's simple, he was luring Kirk into plasma torpedo range. He talks about his mission to his first officer enough that we know the reason for his attacks. He was trying to lure a Federation ship into combat with his vessel. He knew that he had the firepower to destroy the Enterprise, and the advantage of being invisible.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Is the thread still feeding him?

Well consider this.... if the creators did not want the romulan ship to have a warp drive, why did they give it warp nacelles?

Or..maybe I did it, gone back in time and glued those warp nacelles on the romulan bird of prey? :rolleyes:
    Those aren't warp nacelles. They're nuclear fusion reactors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]