Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    I say that with the level 1 start, the KDF has everything it needs and is entitled to.

not quite; it still needs more costumes, and equivalents to the vesta and kumari line, but other than that, if we get some decent story to fill those 20 levels, we should start seeing more players going red and bringing the playerbase up
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    vesolcvesolc Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    not quite; it still needs more costumes, and equivalents to the vesta and kumari line, but other than that, if we get some decent story to fill those 20 levels, we should start seeing more players going red and bringing the playerbase up

Whit the new UI changes it could be pink.:P
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just dont count ur chickens before they are hatched everyone
    remember anniversary week?
    the game was unplayable for a few days and had what 4 or 5 emergency maintenance shutdowns?

they should have taken care of the klingons a long time ago and brought them to the lvl the fed is at before making a new faction
    yea they are making klingons 1-50 now, but that doesnt mean anything
    adding content for 1-20 isnt much given the low xp amount needed compared to the higher lvls

i just find it interesting that ppl are calling the devs gods when a few weeks ago they had the pitch forks out over the andorian ships, or the foundry nerf.... etc
    hopefully they will allow extenstive tested before holodeck release

am i looking forward to the romulans? yes
    will it be cool? i hope so
    but im keeping my expectations in check
    we just dont know how extensive the new content will be, for either the klingons or the romulans
    a certain amount of realism needs to be mixed in with the excitement

I imagine an anniversary week level event is unavoidable. I am sure Cryptic will do all they can but no amount of testing is going to cover that.

What some people seem to forget, is the anniversary problem was not a bug. There was no error in coding. There was just too many people. Not saying that is a bad thing, but that is what happened. The servers simply could not handle the amount of people that were trying to play the game all at once. The result is they failed.

They can release this on Test monday, and there is really no way to predict that. No matter how much you test, The test population is going to be smaller then when it goes live. Sure, you can roughly guess from the test size how big the population will be, but ultimately the numbers might surprise you. The result is despite your best efforts the servers just can't hold the numbers.

And that is a good thing. It means the game and the expansion is more popular then you predicted. More people means more possibility for revenue.

Yes, I sincerely hope Cryptic does all they can to insure the game is playable come May 21st. But if they don't, and the numbers cause the servers to fail. I will not be one of the complainers.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    vesolc wrote: »
    Whit the new UI changes it could be pink.:P

and i imagine there are some people who will set it to that color...though, i will not be one of them *shudders*
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    picard5489picard5489 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am already playing STO as the Federation. It will not let me start a story line for the Legacy of Romulus. How do I start a Romulus story Line? :)
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    picard5489 wrote: »
    I am already playing STO as the Federation. It will not let me start a story line for the Legacy of Romulus. How do I start a Romulus story Line? :)

Oy-vay....It's time gated, once May 21st comes around you'll be able to access it.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    wanderer89 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too sure about that, I think its more a "wait-and-see" kinda scenario. Other F2P games have expansions you have to pay for, but like I say, we'll have to see what happens. Either way its mine and no one will take it away from me :D

Despite all the bugs that will fall from the heavens on launch day
    I wouldn't be too sure that it's going to be available as a purchasable expansion. Bran already said that it was going to be free, and I would trust Bran over a player's speculation any day. That's what you're doing, by the way. You're speculating that it's going to be an expansion where you have to pay to get it.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    woner505woner505 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So the hole count down was to tell us that were going to get romulans in 2 months
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    woner505 wrote: »
    So the hole count down was to tell us that were going to get romulans in 2 months

In a Word: YES!

Though I imagine we'll see the first inklings of it hit Tribble/Redshirt in a couple of weeks. So let's hope there'll be a decent Test/QA cycle for LoR (yea, right...).

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    tahnalostahnalos Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wonder what the Testing prizes will be.... Romulan BOffs for all profiles?
    Fleet Affiliations:
    FED: Royal Federation Mounted Starfleet: SB3, TAC3, ENG3, SCI3, Win, Int, DOff(T/E/S/B)
    KDF: Parliamentary Klingon Empire: SB2, TAC2, ENG2, SCI2, Win, DOff(T)

Interested in joining? Please send a PM to @Tahna_Los.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,420 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think overall the key phrase is "Trust, but verify".

The federation was well established when the KDF came around the corner and the frustration from many KDF players is that after X year the KDF is still playing catch-up.

When there is something new it's always the federation which gets the first go, when there are bugs (e.g. gfx display) it seems the KDF is always last to receive fixes.

With those experiences i can fully understand that players fear that their beloved KDF will become an even more neglected stepchild.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013

That is true, but then the Federation has no Guramba, Orion carrier cruisers or any Bird of Prey at all with their free slots.

Edit : and no faction can have enough costumes, like ever.

Then again I got 5 fed characters, 5 kdf, and the only thing I need done is get 4 kdf ones to max reputation... and they'll reach that in 10 days.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    pingaheadpingahead Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My girlfriend is so gonna dump me come May and I wouldn't be surprised if my cat left home.

Maybe you should take a shower on Server patch days instead of trolling the forums.....

< Just Sayin' >
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    tpalelena wrote: »
    That is true, but then the Federation has no Guramba, Orion carrier cruisers or any Bird of Prey at all with their free slots.

oh, i'm sure they'll get all that soon enough...feds have certainly been whining for a BoP equivalent for quite a while now

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    captainpostcaptainpost Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hmm. I'm actually interested to see how this pans out.
    "We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." -Gene Roddenberry
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reyan01 wrote: »
    One thing I DO know - I am NOT looking forward to the hours leading up to the faction being introduced. The patch for all this will be MASSIVE - I'd assume it'll take longer than anything that has come before - four hours is probably optimistic.

Though evidence suggests that the following happens every time the servers go down, particularly when an update is being installed, I suspect that the May one will be worse than previous (due to the length of time it's liable to take), and it'll go like this:

Protest over how long the downtime takes.

Preemptive complaint over the extended downtime.

Impatience like the world has never seen

Anger due to inability to log into the game once it IS back up from the kind of people who, sadly, seem to geninuely think that they are the only person who wants to play the new content, that the game revolves around them and them alone, and have NO understanding that the server will be having to try to cope with, probably, hundreds of thousands of players either trying to log in at the same time or playing the game.

Massive outrage over newly broken ______ (fill in the blank)

And there will be little, if any, sympathy or understanding shown to the poor devs/Cryptic employees who probably had to work overtime, and then some, to make it happen.

^^^^^
    Welcome to the situation for EVERY/ANY MMO new expansion launch week since "Ruins of Kunark" hit the original "Everquest" back in 2000.:D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,420 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    oh, i'm sure they'll get all that soon enough...feds have certainly been whining for a BoP equivalent for quite a while now

Not so much the BoP, but the (advanced) battle cloak.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    questerius wrote: »
    Not so much the BoP, but the (advanced) battle cloak.

A Sci ship with dual cannons and that turn rate? Sounds like good news to me.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is it just me or does the new romulun chick look more or less the same as Vulcan phaser chick?
    Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dmfreddie wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the new romulun chick look more or less the same as Vulcan phaser chick?
    Nope look at the forehead. I love the evil sanpaku eyes, you don't know if she wants to kill you or go to bed with you.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    dmfreddie_1426533189dmfreddie_1426533189 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nope look at the forehead. I love the evil sanpaku eyes, you don't know if she wants to kill you or go to bed with you.

Could be a long lost sister / cousin :P
    Join date: April 2010 ; Lifetime Sub since April 2010. Actual 1000 day vet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud Member of: Fubar Inc.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    dmfreddie wrote: »
    Could be a long lost sister / cousin :P

I am still liking the "previously unknown second girlfriend to Hansome Phaser Guy" theory myself.
  • Options
    tyberius73tyberius73 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So what was the point in the count down clock, if we have to wait two more months until release?
    Seems like a bit of a TEASE to build up anticipation just for news of the new content.

That said it does sound interesting, it will be nice to have something to to try.
  • Options
    crushedcrushed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Now I'll have to dust this game off come May you got me back btw Thank you ^.^
    Join Today! Click Below.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Decloak and Destroy!!
  • Options
    airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hatepwe wrote: »
    Maybe you guys can't read:

KDF Start at 1 with content taking them through 50.

They actually completed the KDF as well as creating a new faction.

I don't see where they say they are adding content for the Klingons. You used to be able to play from level 8 before and there was almost no content at all besides pvp.

Now there is SOME, but the expansion notes don't say they are adding to it.
  • Options
    pachito2012pachito2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    now i have big hopes that a cardassian faction is possibles yes sto the best mmo.
  • Options
    ajma420ajma420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    there are several questions about the May 2013 updated and Romulan faction.
    1. Will cryptic give players extra slots for Romulan characters?
    2. Will the Romulan ship selection and Klingon 1-25 ships be at least comparable to the fed side?
    3. What does this mean for the New Romulus rep?
    4. What will happen to the current layout of New Romulus and the fleet embassy?
    5. Will the featured missions be expanded for the KDF and ROM factions to allow for more levels?

either way, I'm sure cryptic and PWE will figure it out, but until then, feel free to speculate. One last query:
    WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MAY 21?
    psyched
    Light Speed! - No, light speed is too slow. We need LUDICROUS SPEED!

Ajma420 - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Federation
    Catherine The Great - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Empire
    Vladimir - Lv 50 Tac - Pride of the Rihannsu Empire
  • Options
    archanubisarchanubis Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Cautiously optimistic about this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    tyberius73 wrote: »
    So what was the point in the count down clock, if we have to wait two more months until release?
    Seems like a bit of a TEASE to build up anticipation just for news of the new content.

I believe you have answered your own question. :P
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    airlian wrote: »
    I don't see where they say they are adding content for the Klingons. You used to be able to play from level 8 before and there was almost no content at all besides pvp.

Now there is SOME, but the expansion notes don't say they are adding to it.

Here:
    Start as any Faction

Create your first character as a member of the Federation, Klingon Empire, or Romulan Republic and level your captain from 1 to 50.

I would figure that tells me I can Start as a Klingon and level from 1 to 50. Can it be any plainer than that? Now if it actually the case or not remains to be played...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content