Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    Mm. Regarding this, I did wonder how my lifetime sub perks would've be affected in regard to starting a new Romulan character.

Y'know, stuff like...
    Veteran uniforms, veteran ship skin, the Veteran 1000-day ship itself, the liberated borg race...

Yes I want to know more about this, I think they would be a little more than foolish not to give us Romulan versions of what we have for the KDF and FED.
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    my ONE free piece of advice to pwe/crypitc... give everyone ONE free character slot at he launch of it

I can't see that happening, they'll make more money having people buy character slots. Many sub or lifetime members have several already free.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    nitrous82nitrous82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am definitely looking forward to this! :D
    I wonder if lifers will be able to play as Liberated Borg Romulans..

That would be FANTASTIC!!!!
  • Options
    solonitesolonite Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Awesome work Cryptic/Perfect World, I was kinda hoping for new Romulan faction when I saw the countdown but a lot of people was saying "nah it's season 8", "they won't add a new faction now" etc, glad they were wrong.

STO has defiantly got my vote for best FTP MMO ever.

To the people above moaning left, right and center about KDF etc, stop whining already. You get a new big "FREE" expansion that hopefully does fix the 1-50 leveling for KDF and you just whine.

Yes it be nice to add KDF ships, Uniforms etc but they can come in patches etc, tbh I rather have something completly new in the form of a new faction than just fixes to old content, yes it be nice to fix KDF completely but this is awesome news don't complain about it.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All of this fanfare over absolutely nothing except something that looks awesome to most of the player base. Once again, Craptic/Imperfect World (see what I did, there?) completely drops the ball on the only things that really matter:

Still no playable tribble faction? Once again, non-humanoids get the shaft.

Still no wizard class? Not everyone who plays Star Trek Online cares for sci-fi, you know.

Still no Baywatch-themed costume set? I have been asking for this since STO first opened; how many more times do I have to ask?

Still no fix to my MK XII Darmok set? It's supposed to give me +3 on my saving throws vs. wands, staves, and rods, but I'm only getting +2, and instead of fixing this, you spend your time on a triviality like a new Romulan faction.

Still just free to play, instead of having the devs write out checks to us each month? Oh yeah, I forgot, all Craptic/Imperfect World (see what I did, there?) cares about is profit.

I'm through with this game, and by "through with it," I mean that I will continue playing it just as much as before, if not more.

Hah, that is nice peace of sarcasm.

Hm.... talking about a wizard class , just go Science captain, get a Physicist kit, and you can now magically cast fire :D
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So far, race-wise, the character creation UI screenshot for the Romulans showed only the one race. (Guess which one.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes I want to know more about this, I think they would be a little more than foolish not to give us Romulan versions of what we have for the KDF and FED.

I can't see that happening, they'll make more money having people buy character slots. Many sub or lifetime members have several already free.

Except PWE/Cryptic is very vocal about wanting their game to have all content FREE to play, and not behind a pay wall. Not having a Romulan Faction only character slot means, free players (those who don't pay a dime to the game) can't play a third of the game. that is not in keeping with Cryptic's model. So I can totally see everyone getting a free faction specific slot a la the Feds and KDF.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Except PWE/Cryptic is very vocal about wanting their game to have all content FREE to play, and not behind a pay wall. Not having a Romulan Faction only character slot means, free players (those who don't pay a dime to the game) can't play a third of the game. that is not in keeping with Cryptic's model. So I can totally see everyone getting a free faction specific slot a la the Feds and KDF.

Don't forget that those who are free 2 play (like myself) can get by and and buy zen using dilithium. Sure it takes a few days, but it's doable.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All of this fanfare over absolutely nothing except something that looks awesome to most of the player base. Once again, Craptic/Imperfect World (see what I did, there?) completely drops the ball on the only things that really matter:

Still no playable tribble faction? Once again, non-humanoids get the shaft.

Still no wizard class? Not everyone who plays Star Trek Online cares for sci-fi, you know.

Still no Baywatch-themed costume set? I have been asking for this since STO first opened; how many more times do I have to ask?

Still no fix to my MK XII Darmok set? It's supposed to give me +3 on my saving throws vs. wands, staves, and rods, but I'm only getting +2, and instead of fixing this, you spend your time on a triviality like a new Romulan faction.

Still just free to play, instead of having the devs write out checks to us each month? Oh yeah, I forgot, all Craptic/Imperfect World (see what I did, there?) cares about is profit.

I'm through with this game, and by "through with it," I mean that I will continue playing it just as much as before, if not more.

That was an epically epic form of sarcasm. I love it!
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    They are. Donatra's ships have been called both. But it's was wasn't ...um. It was Norexan Class. And been called the Valdore Class.
    Actually.... The name Norexan was only used for those ships in the CCG. The ship class was never named on screen, and only one ship, the Valdore, was mentioned by name. There are certain apparent differences in capabilities between STO's Mogai class and the Valdore(as seen in ST: Nemesis), but those may or may not be enough to say they're different ship classes...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    With this "Free Torpedo Launcher" being non-existant, maybe this whole new faction will be non-existant also.

Go to the link in the first post, click on the "Prepare Yourself Now" button, and it will tell you that you get a free torpedo launcher when you login. Well... There's no free torpedo launcher that I can find upon logging in and I'm not the only one who can't find this free item.

Me thinks that many folks have not deleted their cookies in quite some time...

That offer has been available for quite awhile now... Like MONTHS... and is basically a freebie for new players.

jam062307 wrote: »
    IF they do I will retract half of my statment. But I havn't seen anything other than hearing in interviews "KDF are getting some love". And I'm sorry, but I've heard that for 3 years and all we've gotten is Alpha and some bi-faction stuff that doesn't count IMO.

Dude..., sorry... but get over it.

The '3 years' thing, is just getting Very OLD now.

When the KDF player-base starts adding money to the game on the scale of the Federation player-base, then..., maybe... you'll start to see a larger portion of Cryptics time spent on your desires.

Until then... forget it.... IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ehh, yes they do; they just exist under a different name, which cryptic didn't get permission from CBS to use

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kzinti

Yes, I am aware of the Kzinti.
    But the truth of the matter is, the Ferasans are not the Kzinti, they're not even close!

And when I researched the Kzinti, I could not find one single canon reference.
    None at all.
    I found a lot of notes about books and concept art, but nothing that specifically referred to an onscreen appearance.

To me, it looks like Cryptic just inserted the Ferasans because they wanted the KDF to have catpeople.

As for Caitians, they're almost non-canon.
    If I was to rank species in a ladder by time onscreen, Caitians are at the bottom (30 seconds in one movie).
    I'm assuming this is because a Caitian costume is technically complicated to make, so getting an actor or actress to wear the prostethics episode after episode would be a special torment in itself.
    Not to mention the added burden of having a furry suit in a studio increasing your body heat and massive lights everywhere.
    And no, the cartoon series does not count, since I've never seen anything citing it as canon.

To invent a 2nd/3rd non-canon species and feature them heavily would probably be too risky to try.

Also, I have concerns about adding another cloak based faction into the game.
    On any ship I have that uses a Cloak power, I absolutely refuse to activate it!

This is because any UI interaction disables the Cloak.
    The major one is when the BOFF comment screen goes up, the Cloak goes down.

What is the point of having a Cloak when you don't dare use it because it doesn't stay active?

In the absolute worse case, this happened:

I was trying to sneak past a mogai in a cloaked fighter.
    BOFF: Look at the Mogai!
    Decloak, zap zap, fighter go boom.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    When the KDF player-base starts adding money to the game on the scale of the Federation player-base, then..., maybe... you'll start to see a larger portion of Cryptics time spent on your desires.

Until then... forget it.... IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

<shrug>

If the FEDs receive 100% of the development resources, it's stands to reason that they should receive 100% of the income from players. As it stands, the KDF amounts to around 18% of the player base, so that means 18% of potential income goes to KDF.

Why should we fund the KDF 100%, when it receives less than 20% of developer resources?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Finally! I have only been asking for this since open beta! I knew it was only a matter of when Cryptic would think it was good for their business to add the Romulan faction so we could play a Romulan Captain. I hope we get to walk into the Romulan senate and the Romulan Acadamey and can we play Tal-Shiar missions? I guess I better start watching Tribble to see when I can help test this! :D
    Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Yes, I am aware of the Kzinti.
    But the truth of the matter is, the Ferasans are not the Kzinti, they're not even close!

And when I researched the Kzinti, I could not find one single canon reference.
    None at all.
    I found a lot of notes about books and concept art, but nothing that specifically referred to an onscreen appearance.

To me, it looks like Cryptic just inserted the Ferasans because they wanted the KDF to have catpeople.

As for Caitians, they're almost non-canon.
    If I was to rank species in a ladder by time onscreen, Caitians are at the bottom (30 seconds in one movie).
    I'm assuming this is because a Caitian costume is technically complicated to make, so getting an actor or actress to wear the prostethics episode after episode would be a special torment in itself.
    Not to mention the added burden of having a furry suit in a studio increasing your body heat and massive lights everywhere.
    And no, the cartoon series does not count, since I've never seen anything citing it as canon.

To invent a 2nd/3rd non-canon species and feature them heavily would probably be too risky to try.

Also, I have concerns about adding another cloak based faction into the game.
    On any ship I have that uses a Cloak power, I absolutely refuse to activate it!

This is because any UI interaction disables the Cloak.
    The major one is when the BOFF comment screen goes up, the Cloak goes down.

What is the point of having a Cloak when you don't dare use it because it doesn't stay active?

In the absolute worse case, this happened:

I was trying to sneak past a mogai in a cloaked fighter.
    BOFF: Look at the Mogai!
    Decloak, zap zap, fighter go boom.
    Actually they ARE. They showed up in a TAS episode as the villains of the week. Also in TNG, their homeworld was labeled on a galaxy map graphic that was used several times.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    meurik wrote: »
    If the FEDs receive 100% of the development resources, it's stands to reason that they should receive 100% of the income from players. As it stands, the KDF amounts to around 18% of the player base, so that means 18% of potential income goes to KDF.

Why should we fund the KDF 100%, when it receives less than 20% of developer resources?

This is soooo... nonsensical, I'm not even sure how to reply.

But you go ahead and keep thinking this way, it won't ever get you what you desire, but then again, if you say it often enough, you might actually convince somebody else that it's logical...

Or not.

:rolleyes:
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    dcblackmandcblackman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Finally 3 factions with Content from 1 to 50.

But still REMOVE the insane dilithium grind
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Actually they ARE. They showed up in a TAS episode as the villains of the week. Also in TNG, their homeworld was labeled on a galaxy map graphic that was used several times.

Yeah... apparently his Googlefu isn't up to snuff...

Star Trek Kzinti History

;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Don't forget that those who are free 2 play (like myself) can get by and and buy zen using dilithium. Sure it takes a few days, but it's doable.

It is still a pay wall. Is there a workaround, yes. But ask yourself this. Is there any aspect of this game, any, that requires zen to play. STFs? Rep system? Doffs?

None of them. Yes, there are "Benefits" that can be paid. But you do not need to pay zen to unlock Doff assignments.

I can not see cryptic changing that by saying. "Oh ok, you can play as a Romulan. Oh but you need to by an extra character slot, as NONE of your slots can be used to make a Romulan."
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tilarta wrote: »

CBS Declared TAS canon years ago. Check out Memory-Alpha's page on TAS, there is a section on its canon status.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Animated_Series#Questionable_canon
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Yeah... apparently his Googlefu isn't up to snuff...

Star Trek Kzinti History

;)

He quoted that link in his post. He doesn't consider TAS Canon.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    He quoted that link in his post. He doesn't consider TAS Canon.
    Not quite, he claimed that CBS doesn't consider it canon.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ssj14ssj14 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In the 2009 Star Trek the romulan ship the Nerada was a mining vessel from this time line that we play in along with Spocks ship that had the red matter was also from the timeline in which the game takes place i only hope these ships get added
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sc54834 wrote: »
    They already have said that a cardassian faction is coming out in season 9 or 10 and 9 will be released later this year so why release this if they are going to half do this one like they did the kdf

please quote this on where it was said I have seen nothing saying this will happen except that they would consider doing a cardy faction "after" the romulans came to the game.

calling someone a 'hater' and not refuting anything they said only makes you look bad. dstahl explicitly stated already that the KDF were only getting a tutorial and nothing more

do you really think he was gonna give any details of what was coming then something happen and they have to push it back ...no been there done that I think he has learned his lesson twice over by now.
    Vwhat? are you serious? developers who are not concerned with fixing bugs are very poor developers. that kind of thing gets out of hand real quick and you soon find yourself with a very unstable piece of software.

the game is playable yes it has its problems from time to time but its not like you can't play the game like your refering too.
    Will we receive a free additional character slot so we can not have to delete any old characters in order to make a Romulan?

buy a couple of slots if we do not get any for free its not that much
    Okay guys, I just want to get something straight....

I waited an entire month, watching the countdown with the excitement of a TRIBBLE fan-girl, and this morning I wake up at 5:40 just to countdown to 6 o'clock and what do I find? DISAPPOINTMENT.

I find out that I have to wait till May 21 to play as the Romulans. I watched a countdown, for a countdown! This is not Inception my friends, this is Star Trek. I expected them to be a little less mysterious about their ways, but noooooo, they have to make you think something big is coming and then, KING'S EX! We just wanted to tell you what is gonna happen in another 2 months!

Bravo Cryptic. Bra. vo. The name of your company says it all.

Anyone else feel let down?

oh come on you really thought this was going to be the release of the faction I'm sorry to say no and you really have no reason to be disappointed as you should have seen this coming especially after all the teasers said "Coming May 2013"
    So an extra faction with which to mindlessly grind the stupid Rep system with... whoopity doo...
    Next time you log in, ask yourself this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DStahl
    If you can't have fun, then what is the point?

soooo why are you here?
    nice.but i need to see thats free first,because its al about mone,cryptic is greeeedddyyyyy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsww View Post
    How much is it going to cost?
    It's free! More details about C-Store offerings will be revealed as we get closer to launch

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

this should suffice as he does work at PWE
    It took them over a year to build the romulan faction from scratch, including working with Denise Crosby. We can only hope that the time spent working on this was worth it. I, for one, am extremely optimistic.

unless I am missing something it has not been a year since season 7 please explain why you are saying it has taken over a year to do this
    I'm not saying I'm not excited, I'm just saying that it was very confusing, the whole countdown and such. I was never able to find any information on what the countdown was for, so I guessed, like a lot of people did.

My expectations were high, but is that really my fault? I'm frustrated that I was not given enough information to know where to set my expectations, I hate mysteries that are unsolvable due to lack of clues.
    Now that we know for sure what is coming and when, I will try to forget about this upsetting ordeal. At least I have some really cool concept art of Romulan Warbirds to look at now.

that was the whole point they wanted people to speculate on what it was some got it right and some where WAY off
    And I'd hate to break it to you, but originally, the KDF Side of the game started originally at level 6 (Took only the tutorial and a few exploration missions to ding 7 and be able to PVP). Then they raised it to 21 because of lack of content, so yes they are lowering the starting level to 1

Doesn't bother my self, because I've already made all the KDF side characters I need. I don't look forward to grinding from level 1 for the Romulans, but I do look forward to having them in game regardless! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

um wrong you unlocked the KDF at level 6 B4 F2P afterwards it was raised up to level 20 because there was not enough content to justify a full level faction this update in may will fix that .....hopefully
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Is it just me or is that vessel in the image of "The Silent Enemy" look familiar? I know I recognize that ship from somewhere...TNG?

There was an episode of Enterprise called the Silent Enemy. The Alien ship in that looked similar. Same color scheme but a more rounded.
  • Options
    randolf2randolf2 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh I would DEFINITELY love to have a re-trait and re-race within the current factions (currently playing a "Romulan" within the Federation).

I just set it as my wall paper! Looks great on my 32 inch 720P HD TV. :cool:
    Empress Sela, was assimulated by the Borg drone named Tasa Yar! :eek:
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    There is no difference.

The Romulan Star Empire was never a Empire in the sense of a monarchy, I know the STO timeline made it so Sela became Empress but that itself come from the novels that decided to split the Romulans into 2 factions.

Current in STO the Romulan Star Empire is split into several factions, D'Tan is a Proconsul but no, we are not likely be taking orders from him, we are playing the "Old" Star Empire that means being in a big mess.

This here. The Romulan Empire was always a stand in for the late era Roman Republic.
  • Options
    twistedvaccinetwistedvaccine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulan Veteran Ship a Scimitar would be pretty awesome and it would make up for the terrible looking Chimera.. Just a thought.

Everything else looks awesome, especially the way the new UI looks.

Any chance of a re-race along with the re-trait though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Romulan Veteran Ship a Scimitar would be pretty awesome and it would make up for the terrible looking Chimera.. Just a thought.

Everything else looks awesome, especially the way the new UI looks.

Any chance of a re-race along with the re-trait though.

a Veteran Scimitar is a terrible idea. Remember that by making it a veteran ship you are effectively locking out people who aren't subscribers.

Yes, you want to have an incentive to get people to subscribe, but getting a ship as popular as the Scimitar as it, might not be the way to go.

as for the re-race/species. I think people are forgetting a simple point. No respec has ever been cross-faction at this point. So wanting to re-race an alien into a Romulan without rerolling is highly unlikely, if not down right impossible.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ssj14 wrote: »
    In the 2009 Star Trek the romulan ship the Nerada was a mining vessel from this time line that we play in along with Spocks ship that had the red matter was also from the timeline in which the game takes place i only hope these ships get added

I hope they don't. anyways Spock ship was a one man science ship and Nero's was a mining ship modified with Borg.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Repeating myself: It's free. It's not going to be a Zen Store offering, some of the aspects will be available from the Zen Store, but the actual content is going to be totally free.

Note to BranFlakes: Bran, maybe you should add that the expansion is going to be free to the first post of this thread. That way people won't need to ask how much the expansion's going to cost.

why they won't read it