Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

1232425262729»

Comments

• Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why didn't you guys come out and say it was just playable romulans for fed and kdf? why give the false misleading impression it was a faction?

Why bother with all the faction stuff at all?

This is my thinking as well. What has been explained to us is not a faction. It is more like a featured story that takes place over levels for the UFP and KDF players. :mad:
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why didn't you guys come out and say it was just playable romulans for fed and kdf? why give the false misleading impression it was a faction?

Why bother with all the faction stuff at all?

Because it is a faction. You get your own storyline missions, ships, etc. All you don't have are specific endgame content (which the others don't have either) and specific Romulan fleets (which may be coming in the future).

Romulus wasn't built in a day, guys. ;)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    @f2pdrakron - Preach on brotherman! Preach on....
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Their missions are common, Fed and KDF players have access to "RR" missions, the only diference is you need someone to share the mission with you.

Share, not play it ... its just having someone share, leave group and its on your log.

Wrong. From the Ask Cryptic:

"The Romulan Republic was created from the ground up as a complete new faction. They have their own backstory, their own exclusive missions and episode series, exclusive costumes, faction-exclusive social hub, unique playable species, a full ship progression line from level 1 to 50, unique HUD UI, and more."

"Exclusive" means the missions are theirs alone. Except for the FEs, of course.
    Duty Officer system is either Fed or KDF, that is what you pick (and I suppose this extends to rewards, that means Enemy Faction BO and in Fed case, the Ambassador outfit unlock), they dont have their own.

From the Ask Cryptic:

"In addition to adding Romulan Republic Duty Officers to existing packs in the game, Romulan Republic captains will gain access to the Duty Officers packs of their chosen ally."

Unless that means RR Doffs get added to Klingon and Federation packs (which seems unlikely, albeit not impossible), RR Doffs get their own packs.
    Ships ... they have their own AND their "allied" ships, that means the Excelsior, Defiant, Vor'cha, etc ... the only LIMIT is their faction, sorry "alliance".

So they have access to another faction's ships. I don't see how that disqualifies them as a faction.
    And how you unring the bell that is faction specific uniforms? Or Zen Shop ships?

Romulans have both. From the Ask Cryptic:

"There will be ships at every level that can be gained for in game currency as well as Dilithium and C-Store ships. Captains will unlock new costumes in-game as they progress through the story as well as have premium costumes that can be purchased in the c-store."
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I can understand the need for the Romulans to be drawn in to the Fed-KDF conflict, I would have like the option to remain neutral, allied to neither side. Would have made for an interesting true sole faction. And better story line as the two side would have to work hard to entice you to their side of the fight.

UNLESS....... There is a defection system in the works.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I can understand the need for the Romulans to be drawn in to the Fed-KDF conflict, I would have like the option to remain neutral, allied to neither side. Would have made for an interesting true sole faction. And better story line as the two side would have to work hard to entice you to their side of the fight.

UNLESS....... There is a defection system in the works.

I doubt it highly it is what it is and cryptic is happy with mediocrity

They missed a real chance to make this game stand above the others

But they only did this half baked job and want everyone to be happy with it.

This was a marketing ploy plain and simple to sell keys

Make roms with species specific ships

Make rom lock boxes so everyone can have rom ships

Buy keys please is the theme.

This is the path cryptic has taken and its not about canon or happy playerbase its about the money they can fleece from the sheeple that will buy the keys.
  • Options
    unclefester166unclefester166 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    "All this leaves me with a sneaking suspicion that the new Romulan faction will be somehow split in two. The current Romulan storyline kind of lends itself to this theory, as well as this quote from the announcement "Gather allies, go undercover and find the proof that will rally your people to revolt."
    Someone out there knows the answer to these questions. I am only a humble player who is considering all possibilities"

Gee, I guess I was right...couldn't imagine it any other way than to have Roms choose either Fed or KDf for the bulk of their time in-game.

The Pigeonslayer (Uncle Fester)

Syrvallis / Black Irish Ninja / Heywood / T'waat / Cuddle Muffin / Ten of Ten - Starfleet
    Slick / S'lyk / Jah'ne / Kim Cardassian / Chi'por / Jarius / K'otex / Biff Urtezor - KDF
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wrong.

I really dont have to say more do I?

Missed that part. My bad.
    What part of Romulan Republic Duty officers says its anything BUT DOFFs, we have Romulan DOFFS in the game already, its just adding more to the packs.

Also what part of "existing packs" you dont want to read?

I'm just speculating that by "existing packs" Dstahl means the same system they use for faction-specific packs. I could always be wrong, but that's what I think.
    Because it kills their identity, we dont have KDF flying Wells ships as we dont have Feds flying Birds-of-Prey, Romulans will for what reason?

When I brought a Defiant I certainly did not expected I would get to use it on the KDF ... yet I can use it with a Romulan?

KDF and Fed have their own shipyards, there is no cross faction access to them ... yet Romulans can bypass that for no reason also this brings up the issue of Romulans flying Imperial Guard ships, something that is Andorian ... and for that matter Caitian Atrox carriers.

And you dont have a problem with that?

I never said I don't have a problem with it. I just don't think that necessarily disqualifies them from being a faction.

If you don't want to fly a Klingon or Fed ship for your Romulan, fine. Grab the free Romulan ships at each rank, and/or buy better ones from the C-store. Nobody's forcing you to fly your allied faction's ships. And I doubt many Romulan players will choose to do so either.
    So what?

I have a small fleet of Zen Store ships, why on Earth would I claim some Romulan Ship when I have ships I can claim at will?

Because you want to fly Romulan ships. I think you've made that quite clear.
    Oh, Uniforms ... you mean like the Federation Romulan Uniform and the Klingon Romulan uniform? they are also faction locked to their "allied with" ... meaning those ARENT Romulan uniforms because access to then DEPENDS on being on Fed or KDF.

I'm pretty sure there are "Romulan Republic standard uniforms" as well. They wouldn't force you to wear your ally's uniforms.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote:
    Wrong.

I really dont have to say more do I?
    It's not that simple. The way I understand the changes to the way teaming works, FEDs will be able to team with KDF players and go help kill Molor. Yeah... That cross-faction thing you're ranting about isn't unique to collaboration between Romulans and their allies. It's a new game feature seperate from that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I really hope there aren't many cross faction ships here....

Also... I'm not quite sure just how many missions this crossfaction teaming applies to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not that simple. The way I understand the changes to the way teaming works, FEDs will be able to team with KDF players and go help kill Molor. Yeah... That cross-faction thing you're ranting about isn't unique to collaboration between Romulans and their allies. It's a new game feature seperate from that.

They're not making any changes to how teaming works (none that have been stated yet anyway) - remember, Dan considers Romulans a faction so what he's talking about is KDF-allied Roms inviting KDF to their missions.

Likewise, Fed-allied Roms can invite Feds to theirs.

But Fed-Roms can't invite KDF (or even KDF Roms) to their team until/if the teaming mechanic changes.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No its not ...

No, they dont.

Their missions are common, Fed and KDF players have access to "RR" missions, the only diference is you need someone to share the mission with you.

Share, not play it ... its just having someone share, leave group and its on your log.

Duty Officer system is either Fed or KDF, that is what you pick (and I suppose this extends to rewards, that means Enemy Faction BO and in Fed case, the Ambassador outfit unlock), they dont have their own.

Ships ... they have their own AND their "allied" ships, that means the Excelsior, Defiant, Vor'cha, etc ... the only LIMIT is their faction, sorry "alliance".

And how you unring the bell that is faction specific uniforms? Or Zen Shop ships?

You people fail to understand the problem.

This is the problem, they screwed up with the Fleet system and its very much loathed by players and people are fed up on a YEARLY grind but they dont want to fix the problem.

Cryptic doesnt fix problems, they create new ones ... things that dont work are just abandoned until they come up with a new system and then they put it in there (example: The Vault Fleet Action) and perhaps it works, perhaps it doesnt ... as my name says I come at F2P but before that they had many currencies, when Dilithium that was totally not a attempt to be gold sellers themselves *wink*, really! *wink*wink* come about it was to "simplify the currencies", there was EC, Latinum and Dilithium at F2P launch ... now we have to add Fleet Credits, Fleet Marks, Omega Marks and Romulan Marks, in May we are getting Tholian Marks.

Hoe many emblems and marks were there before? sure the system MIGHT not have worked because they never FIXED the problem but we are heading there now in terms of number of currencies.

Now were this affects the Romulan Non-faction?

Because they are setting it in a way its not a faction and they cannot unrig that bell later, it gives too much away, you get to keep your Defiants, Vestas and what else you have on your Zen Store with the only LIMIT being FACTION and that is KDF/Fed FACTION.

This is were its WRONG.

all this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    bd3648bd3648 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this is great yet kdf and feds can only use there own ships same should go for roms unless its for a specific mission... sharing tech is one thing like weapons or cloaks but ships should never be shared even if only the romulans can use them .. on the other hand i see no prob for romulans to share shuttles that alone is different but starships should be off limits ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CAPTAIN There Be Romulans Here !
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Not impressed really..

Heh, I was serious. I now realize I may be a brain dead as well. :D

Sorry, wrong quote.