Install Arc
Options

Legacy of Romulus Revealed!

Comments

• Options
    chooch99achooch99a Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    until another trek series comes out, anyway

The last interview with Roberto Ocri about talks of a new series were that CBS and Paramount were looking at a animated continuation of the JJ Kirk and crew for the next series, inspired by the Clone Wars style.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Klingons bathe regularly
    with soap

you are thinking of Kazon
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    The Caitians are classed as canon not just by the movies but on Star Trek TAS There was a character called M'Ress Who was a caitain who took over from Uhura on occasion and TAS is also classed in the canon category

Tilarta doesn't consider TAS Canon. That is how this whole discussion started.

TAS Is referenced in a bunch of later TV series. Some designs from TAS were used in TOS Remastered, the Sahlet's in Enterprise first appeared in TAS. The name of Kor's ship from TAS was used in DS9. If the rest of the Trek universe considers TAS canon, why not you? There is a list of references here.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Animated_Series#Questionable_canon
    tilarta wrote: »
    By that logic, we should be playing as humpback whales and have humpback whale boffs/doffs, because they got a whole movie based around them!

Actually you're not far from the truth. In "Yesterday's Enterprise" over the intercom you hear mention of "cetacean ops" on the alternate universe Enterprise-D

Its also mentioned in (non-canon) tech manuals.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    You want hard facts?
    Fine, here is one:

Outside of TAS, there has not been one single episode or movie dedicated to the Caitians.

If they were truly canon, they would have been mentioned somewhere, anywhere in the tv series.

The fact that they are more or less ignored by every single writer in Star Trek says it all.

They're no more then a guest cameo appearance in the live movies and that's all they will ever be.

I'm assuming this is because of financial restraints, to make a Cat costume is expensive and not within the budget of a tv series.
    Also, the physical complexity and overtime involved in preparing/applying a costume of that level increases the cost even further.

In any case, as relating to the Romulans, I'm don't think Cryptic should fabricate yet another non-canon animal species.
    If you feel the need to add another playable race for this faction, I would suggest Flaxians
    They have had dealings with the Tal-Shiar and it is hinted at that Flaxians are used for assassination or espionage purposes when the presence of a Romulan would be too noticable.
    Given that they freely travel through Romulan space, it is likely that they are a subject race of the Romulan Star Empire.

So what about races like the Aenar they were only heard of in two episodes of Ent Are these canon as they were not in any movies. Or characters like Gary Seven or Mentakans Or half the races we seen on tv just because they are seen once does not mean they are not canon
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jothan9092jothan9092 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    adarandrel wrote: »
    ANd a TOS bird of prey to boot WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO >:)

How did I miss this? I can't believe myself. TOS is my fave show and I must have gotten so lost in the term "Romulan Republic" I forgot to register Era...

By the way, did you know this is not the first game to have a Romulan Republic? Star Trek: Shattered Universe did as well, and it is still one of my top faves for the console games.
    [SIGPIC]Cross at the center of M51--The Whirlpool Galaxy[/SIGPIC]
    Noah Bartholomew Jothan,
    Member of the "Christian Fleet Alliance"
    Proclaimers of The Way, The Truth, and The Life
    John 14:6
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ramos40k wrote: »
    "first expansion"
    Do we have to pay for this???

Absofunkinlutely. :cool:
    Pandaromulan Pewmasters unite!
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    brackynews wrote: »
    Absofunkinlutely. :cool:
    Pandaromulan Pewmasters unite!
    No, BranFlakes said that the expansion's price is the awesomely FREE price, meaning that you pay nothing to get the expansion.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No, BranFlakes said that the expansion's price is the awesomely FREE price, meaning that you pay nothing to get the expansion.

We will just pay for old TOS, TNG, DS9 era uniforms and superior ships. I do not mind though.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Its a free to play expansion

But you will pay for it "in Sweat"
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    philbo35philbo35 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So like When is this ment to happen said 21st of march still waitting or is this just one more thing said by a game that dosnt happen ?:confused:
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    philbo35 wrote: »
    So like When is this ment to happen said 21st of march still waitting or is this just one more thing said by a game that dosnt happen ?:confused:

You must be confusing march with may. Its 21st of may.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Its a free to play expansion

But you will pay for it "in Sweat"

Correction: sweat, blood, tears, or cold hard cash if you don't want to pay with any of the first 3 and absolutely must have everything NOW
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't have Tears (Diabeties side effect) can I pay with Extra sweat instead??
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    salarihsalarih Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I saw this coming the minute they released the first "teaser".... but I never expect a FULL Faction, more a playable species for Fed/KDF....

Damn guys, if you pull this off, its easily the biggest and best expansion yet. Just imagine all the bitter STO Vets (like me lol) coming back to the game just to play a romulan. I myself have waited since Beta for this to happen ^^
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Yeah ... I left since November 2012, butt once the May update is live, I will come back in June 2013 after all the major bugs are fixed and then I can really enjoy the Romulan adventures with Donatra (I hope the name won't be locked after the May update) and try out the Romulan starships. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    bermanatorbermanator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, I think it was Al Rivera implied in a podcast that the launch being around the same time as Into Darkness coming out was not a coincidence. Any speculation?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bradhadbradhad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I see two ways this can go;
    1) Cryptic has finally realised that half finished content is not the way to attract more player investment in time and/or money. They have done, and will do the testing and balancing necessary to include an entirely new faction onto what is a somewhat precariously balanced system already. The KDF, while unlikely to ever match the federation in size and depth of content, are at a point where they can at least be called finished-without guessing what that additional content might be. The Romulans are not going to be another KDF style release, meaning that instead of releasing the faction with a bare minimum of content with more to be added in later, they have enough to round it out from the start (i doubt the Romulans will actually be 'finiished' from the word go, but more than KDF on release would be nice.) In essence, rather than jumping the gun to cash in quickly, be it from micro-transactions or simply an increased playerbase (meaning the possibility of more money later), that Cryptic and PWE will actually finish the update before they release it; and when they release it, and if/when problems or bugs arise that they fix ALL of them, rather than fixing most and allowing some to become part of the scenery. This scenario I find somewhat unlikely, given the record of STO, but i can hope.

2) Basically, the opposite of everything i mentioned above. the Romulans are released before they can even generously be called a full faction, like KDF. the KDF, contrary to the inference over the starting level are not getting any meaningful updates except generic starting levels, presumably shared to an extent with FED and NR (jumping the gun on rommies' acronym, but meh). The addition of another faction completely breaks all the game system designed for two factions. Further pvp, already being a bit broken, is absolutely buggered up by the addition of a third faction (though whatever happens with pvp, Ker'rat should be fun with 3 factions:D) and cryptic flails about uselessly as STO falls apart around them; doom and gloom and all that. This imagining of the 21st of may and thereafter assumes the PWE/Cryptic carry on pretty much as usual, especially after the insult that was the revamp of endgame content (personally i never liked using assignments, and see them largely as a timesink, something for us to sit and wait for while cryptic finishes the latest C-store item)

my ramblings aside, my hopes would be for nothing specific but more that whatever is done, it is enough to quiet the rather constant and consistent complaints I've read, and pulling that off would probably be a lot harder than anything i can think of.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    By being free people assume that's just to play romulans. Maybe if you have used all your slots you will have to buy more. But there is more to this release than just romulans. So people will have access to it. Tholians rep. Kdf should have more content to fill them levels up. Maybe it's a case of if you have slots free your good to go on new toons. If not, send some zen. 2 slots is only 625 zen anyway. And that's pretty easy to get without spending any actual real money!
  • Options
    commanderlicommanderli Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This is quite an update for STO. The features which get my attention the most are the return of Empress Sela (voiced by Denise Crosby), the major debut of what appears to be the Iconians, and the addition of Tholian Reputation. As a devoted player and someone who considers STO his fantasy career, I eagerly await this expansion of the game.
  • Options
    krunk500krunk500 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    2 Months to go? I CAN'T WAIT CRYPTIC..... WHYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!... couldve at least teased near late April...
  • Options
    radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just curious, why not create a small boot camp partition and play full native?
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    robeasom wrote: »
    The Caitians are classed as canon not just by the movies but on Star Trek TAS There was a character called M'Ress Who was a caitain who took over from Uhura on occasion and TAS is also classed in the canon category

Not that it matters, since Cryptic doesn't have a license to anything in TAS. The Caitians are only allowed in because they appeared in the movies. That's why there are no Edosians, despite the tech for three-legged species being in game.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    alanna234alanna234 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Romulan characters are a good idea yes but adding in another faction in at the same time? Not a good idea really, their first job should be completeling what has been left undone and sort out the LAG!!!!!!
  • Options
    outcast1985outcast1985 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just a quick question, will i have to download the expantion, or will it happen automatically?
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Not impressed really..

don't play the game then if your not impressed, don't really need people like you anyway, maybe go play wow or sumthin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just a quick question, will i have to download the expantion, or will it happen automatically?

it will most likely be a patch so nothing to download separately, but expect a lengthy downtime
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    with new faction- and may update- expansion- regardless to if they have or have not added new content to Klingons or federation they have to have revamped the pvp as the ques are ment for 2 factions. either added new ones to include romulans vs Klingons, romulans vs feds, or made existing ones able to have all 3. either rate the pvp has been updated. curious to see what happens to Karret.
  • Options
    iggmann88iggmann88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    While I'm excited to see Romulans added, I love me my warbirds.. There are a couple concerns/annoyances...

1. Character slots. As a lifer I have 7 slots, I currently have 3 KDF, and 3 Fed, one of each class. Please add two more so I can have 3 Rom as well.. Seems only fair after adding a whole new FACTION.

2. Queues. KDF queues are already quite long for non-rep STF's, this is only going to get worse with another faction. Seeing as how Romulans are mostly neutral now though, they could share non-rep queues with Fed/KDF and get away with it. Though it would be nice to see one non-rep unique to them.

2. Reputation. The thought of grinding Omega/Romulan rep again is a little off putting, it's one thing to make a new char on a current faction and grind again, but it's entirely different when a new faction is added after the fact and with the introduction of a new rep faction. Reducing rep up to at least tier 4 would be wonderful, at least for a month or 2 after Roms are released, then moved back to where it was. Though one could argue it's more "content" to leave it be. I could do without, this is more of an annoyance than anything.

3. Romulan Starbases. ^ See Reputation. ^ Reduce time/cost for a few months, then bump back up to normal. This is a far bigger concern than rep giving the massive time and cost involved.
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    alanna234 wrote: »
    Romulan characters are a good idea yes but adding in another faction in at the same time? Not a good idea really, their first job should be completeling what has been left undone and sort out the LAG!!!!!!

I am not convinced that adding Romulans without the faction would be a good idea at all. Many people don't just want to play a Romulan. They want the Romulan Star Empire. They want Romulan Ships, Uniforms and other things that don't come with rolling a Federation Character as a Romulan. Whether we get that with the May update or not is debatable, and will be until we get more information, but simply adding the playable species will not givie you that.
    iggmann88 wrote: »
    While I'm excited to see Romulans added, I love me my warbirds.. There are a couple concerns/annoyances...

1. Character slots. As a lifer I have 7 slots, I currently have 3 KDF, and 3 Fed, one of each class. Please add two more so I can have 3 Rom as well.. Seems only fair after adding a whole new FACTION.

2. Queues. KDF queues are already quite long for non-rep STF's, this is only going to get worse with another faction. Seeing as how Romulans are mostly neutral now though, they could share non-rep queues with Fed/KDF and get away with it. Though it would be nice to see one non-rep unique to them.

2. Reputation. The thought of grinding Omega/Romulan rep again is a little off putting, it's one thing to make a new char on a current faction and grind again, but it's entirely different when a new faction is added after the fact and with the introduction of a new rep faction. Reducing rep up to at least tier 4 would be wonderful, at least for a month or 2 after Roms are released, then moved back to where it was. Though one could argue it's more "content" to leave it be. I could do without, this is more of an annoyance than anything.

3. Romulan Starbases. ^ See Reputation. ^ Reduce time/cost for a few months, then bump back up to normal. This is a far bigger concern than rep giving the massive time and cost involved.

1) two extra slots might be asking much. Not saying it won't happen but I doubt it. Lets face it, the fact that you want to play as 3 Romulans is a good thing from Cryptics point of view, as it means the potential for you buying more character slots, I don't see Cryptic taking that away from their profit base.

That said, I can't see how they would not give one extra Romulan only slot for all accounts. Granted this is just speculation on my part, but it isn't without basis. Cryptic has said they want STO to be totally free to play if you choose. Nothing behind a pay wall. Given the current character slot limits to silver players, they are effectively behind a pay wall if they want to play the Romulan Faction.

2) Assuming you are going to see queues locked behind faction walls, I think KDF and The Rommies are going to always suffer from longer queues no matter what. That is just how the numbers work. Federation will always win on numbers before any other faction. I do think some agnostic (non-faction based queues) might be interesting and worth trying. But we will see what Cryptic does.

3) I am going to put the Rep and Starbases together. I don't see Cryptic reducing the grind/work time on these at all. Not for the Romulan Faction anyways. First, these are suppose to be long term acheivements, whether they are worth the investment or not is up to the costumer, but I don't think Cryptic wants them to be too easy. Second, this effectively makes it "better" to be a Romulan then either a Fed or KDF. They didn't get a "Head start" so why should the Romulans. This will no doubt cause more rage and controversy then less. My guess would be just except the grind and decide for yourself if it is worth it.
  • Options
    sechserpackungsechserpackung Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    No Dev blog/news today?

I guess they want to see how much of the hype they can ride ^.^