Install Arc
Options

Re: Lock Boxes (items, etc.), Lobi Store (items, etc.) and Master Keys

Comments

• Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Never give up, never surrender!

Also however, i did not get the reference to the console's name if there is any. Either way thanks for the small nod cryptic, when can we get the NSEA prefix now? :)
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Yep, that is the reference. They could not name it the Omega 13, obviously, but... awesome anyway. :D

But I don't get the reference of the name of that console.... anyone?

Yup!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_J._Tipler
  • Options
    devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So Frank Tipler has a theory about an Omwega Point reference and Cryptic uses that idea to make a console as a spoof on the Omega 13. The guys at Cryptic have a very unique sense of humor!

Never give up! Never surrender!
    Oh shut up!
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hmm of two minds about this

Its good that the developers have a sense of humour,.. but it just seems so unprofessional :/

I mean the starbase in an older blog being named 'omicron persi VIII' was one thing ^^'
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    1) To keep them (very rare) as they where ment to be.

2) Because the ship prices will fall too low and everybody will be flying in none fed ships!

4) Because too many Recluse carriers in the game will stunt the sale of the Atrox from the zen store.

1) They do not seem to be all that rare. I see plenty of Galors, D'koras, Bugs, and Orb Weavers EVERYWHERE.

2) I fail to believe Cryptic or PWE care one tiny bit if the Federation players flew all Non-Fed Vessels so long as they are making money on it.

4) Because selling a lot of those $200.00 Carriers instead of the $25.00 Carriers is a really bad business model... ... ... Wait a moment... No it isn't! Wake up and smell the cash my friend. They would love to dump the Atrox, Vo'Quv, and Kar'Fi out the nearest Airlock if EVERYONE would pump in enough cash to get the Recluse.

But instead, all this focus goes into a lockbox, with odds that would have Vegas drooling. For what? Is the profit THAT much higher on lockboxes? Is everything in the future going into a lockbox?

Yes, the profit is THAT much higher. See my example above on number 4. Not everything will be in lockboxes but most everything good will be without question. Even I am getting less and less interested in STO because of this nonsense.

Also... for anyone who actually cared about any plot this game may have had or any tie it supposedly has to Canon I think if you have not figured out that it completely lost that already this latest box should fully confirm that. The first lockbox pretty much confirmed that for me but I know there are others who still hang on to the idea that somehow because of its license that STO has some sort of influence or connection to the canonical storyline but trust me... It does not.

In that way I suppose more FE's are really a waste of time and effort. Seems how the storyline is broken beyond repair there really is no reason to bother continuing it.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ericsonxx wrote: »
    I wonder if you can take the subatomic deflector from the aeon and put it on one of the bigger ships? The more debuffs I can find as a sci, the better.

Nope shuttle only console.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's always fun to pay some homage to other popular IPs, whether it's lightsaber bat'leths or Omega 13 devices. It's part of the same reason why R2D2 is in the JJ-Trek movie. Sometimes people take things a little too seriously. The point of the game is for us to get our Trek/Sci-Fi geeks on. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    trenttylertrenttyler Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    1) They do not seem to be all that rare. I see plenty of Galors, D'koras, Bugs, and Orb Weavers EVERYWHERE.

2) I fail to believe Cryptic or PWE care one tiny bit if the Federation players flew all Non-Fed Vessels so long as they are making money on it.

4) Because selling a lot of those $200.00 Carriers instead of the $25.00 Carriers is a really bad business model... ... ... Wait a moment... No it isn't! Wake up and smell the cash my friend. They would love to dump the Atrox, Vo'Quv, and Kar'Fi out the nearest Airlock if EVERYONE would pump in enough cash to get the Recluse.

Yes, the profit is THAT much higher. See my example above on number 4. Not everything will be in lockboxes but most everything good will be without question. Even I am getting less and less interested in STO because of this nonsense.

Also... for anyone who actually cared about any plot this game may have had or any tie it supposedly has to Canon I think if you have not figured out that it completely lost that already this latest box should fully confirm that. The first lockbox pretty much confirmed that for me but I know there are others who still hang on to the idea that somehow because of its license that STO has some sort of influence or connection to the canonical storyline but trust me... It does not.

In that way I suppose more FE's are really a waste of time and effort. Seems how the storyline is broken beyond repair there really is no reason to bother continuing it.

This is what most of the Veteran players tried to convince the player base about F2P/PWE. F2P is anything but, and everytime someone purchases a damn friggin key from the Cstore, they are removing any incentive for PWE to actually make new content. Lets face it, 90% of what we get now comes from a damn lock box, or the farming around them.
    Sadly PWE could give a rats TRIBBLE about anything Star Trek, they just want to fleece you into opening lock boxes.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Love that movie!

Unprofessional or not, it should make most of us smirk a little. It's just a game after all :)
  • Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hmm of two minds about this

Its good that the developers have a sense of humour,.. but it just seems so unprofessional :/

I mean the starbase in an older blog being named 'omicron persi VIII' was one thing ^^'

Hey, don't go bashing Galaxy Quest. It was one of the finest Star Trek movies ever made.
  • Options
    startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Why people want to gamble with lock boxes. I have seen people spend 300 DOLLARS on trying to get a virtual ship out of a lock box...

My limit with key buying is $10.00 worth of keys(the ships are not even worth that much). I mean why spend 100's of dollars on a virtual ship when you can use it to go on a vacation,get a new T.V,computer,what ever else thats worth spending money on.

I mean i understand that this is a game and it will not hurt to open a few boxes. I mean its a game your suppose to have fun trying to get the ship and its still cool to have some of the other items in the box and lobi store. but don't go over $50.00 in my opinion, the items in lobi store and boxes are not worth that much.

Im not saying get rid of lock boxes...its a way for Cryptic to earn the money they need.

But don't over do the boxes. I want the ships in them to but i know the ships are not worth a huge amount of money.

I remember getting the tuffli freighter off exhange(i bought keys then sold them to earn the EC to buy it) then when i got the ship i was like "ok i got it now what" it is a good ship but i regret spending real money to get it when i could have got something more useful.

You might think that 100,200,300,whatever amount of money you spent was worth it for a little while, but trust me that feeling will go away in a couple days, like what happened to me and i regretted using real money to buy a virtual ship.

Oh and i support the c-store ships because at least i know i will get the ship i buy.

Im posting this thread just to warn you guys before the new lock box go's live to really think over whether or not you really want to spend that large amount of money on a virtual ship...

Again its ok to spend a reasonable amount on lock boxes but like i said before do not over do it.

*i also apologize for using this thread like twitter*
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Telling people to not buy things they don't need, or to spend reasonably, is almost pointless: 10 million iPhone 5s sold by the end of the month. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Again its ok to spend a reasonable amount on lock boxes but like i said before do not over do it.

"Reasonable" is open to interpretation, so that is a pointless statement. Also, it is very easy to earn zen without spending any of your own money, so people who do that arent really gambling with their money.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Telling people to not buy things they don't need, or to spend reasonably, is almost pointless: 10 million iPhone 5s sold by the end of the month. :)

what im saying is its ok to spend a small amount of money on boxes, but not to over do it(as in spednig 100's of dollars) im not telling people to buy keys or not to buy keys
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    "Reasonable" is open to interpretation, so that is a pointless statement. Also, it is very easy to earn zen without spending any of your own money, so people who do that arent really gambling with their money.

I agree there is a way to earn zen with out spending money(and people should use those methods), but some people are not willing to be patient by using the dil. exhange, and the surveys of peanut labs are BS.

Also i said that 50 dollars is my recomendation of the max amount of money you should spend on keys.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I agree there is a way to earn zen with out spending money(and people should use those methods), but some people are not willing to be patient by using the dil. exhange, and the surveys of peanut labs are BS

Also i said that 50 dollars is my recomendation of the max amount of money you should spend on keys.

See, here is your problem; you think people "should" do what you think is right. But that isnt how the world works. People have free will, and the right to make their own decisions. What you think they "should" do is completely irrelevant, and you really have no business telling other people how to spend their money.
  • Options
    pegasuscicpegasuscic Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Never underestimate the addiction of gambling. Many people are like a fish. They see a shiny lure and have to go for it.;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."-Commander William Adama
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    See, here is your problem; you think people "should" do what you think is right. But that isnt how the world works. People have free will, and the right to make their own decisions. What you think they "should" do is completely irrelevant.

Im just giving my recomondation of what people could do to earn zen to get that useless ship they want(aka dil. exhange) im not telling people to kneel down before me and do what i wish.

Your acting like im a person thats against freedom.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Are you admitting to being a Commie/Pinko? Yes or no! Yes or no! :)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Are you admitting to being a Commie/Pinko? Yes or no! Yes or no! :)

no im not communist lol, im for freedom
  • Options
    edited September 2012

You may not be against freedom, but you have no business telling people how to spend their money.
  • Options
    psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's their hobby and their choice. It's the same as buying booster packs for Magic the Gathering cards etc. I'm glad people do open boxes because I can then buy the lesser value items they accumulate along the way.;)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    You may not be against freedom, but you have no business telling people how to spend their money.

im not telling people how to spend their money. im just saying "think before you buy"
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    See, here is your problem; you think people "should" do what you think is right. But that isnt how the world works. People have free will, and the right to make their own decisions. What you think they "should" do is completely irrelevant, and you really have no business telling other people how to spend their money.

He has a right to say whatever he wants, people have an equal right to not listen.

Just as Cryptic has every right to try to milk its players for every cent they have, just as every player can simply not spend at all or go elsewhere.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    But, telling the OP he has a problem is its own point of view. ;)

I'm kind of wondering something similar: if the vocal minority hate Lockboxes, then what's the justification to keep using them? I mean, I understand that's there are items that can not be acquired outside of the box, and that the system is a gamble. Is the actual motivation to keep Cryptic a float, thus the game to keep running?

There is a post around here where the OP gives a list of RL things to do with 2500 Zen-equivalent cash and the response I took away was essentially: if I want to spend money on digital stuff then that's my choice. I wish I had my time back reading all those pages ...

There is another thread here where a Lockbox hater (disliker?) is planning to open 200 LBs, posting the results and promises to rage post if the grand prize is not won. What ... why the ...

Let's face it, LB are here to stay and anyone that wants to spend money on them (even though they may absolutely hate them and makes effort to let everyone else know about it) "should" because they can, which is their right.

I just don't understand it all, even though I accept it.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    He has a right to say whatever he wants

I never said he didnt. What I am saying is that regardless of his right to free speech, how other people spend their money is absolutely none of his business.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I never said he didnt. What I am saying is that regardless of his right to free speech, how other people spend their money is absolutely none of his business.

im not trying to find out how people spend their money.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited September 2012
    As with the past Lock Boxes, we'll be keeping one thread where you can leave your comments, feedback, and ideas. This allows the dev team to watch one thread about the subject where we can read and consider your feedback.

Quoting myself for those who missed it on page 4 ----^

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Look, take this to whoever makes these decisions:

At LEAST make the items you get from the lobi store come in a box that is BOUND TO ACCOUNT.

That box can then be passed to another character in the account.

When that character opens the item, the item is bound to that character.

Ships, consoles, weapons, etc.

I'm completely FED UP with having the bulk of my lobi on one character and being unable to get the stuff for another character in my account.

I've stopped playing this game already because of this garbage. spent too much time collecting that lobi only to stare at it in frustration.