test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's discuss the Romulan Faction concept. . .

Comments

• daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aelrhiana wrote: »
    I think they need their own faction, none of this "mini-faction" nonsense that I keep hearing about. How would it even make sense to play as a Romulan for 5 levels, and then switch to either the Federation or the Klingon side? Yes, there is espionage possibilities...perhaps even one or two traitors out there, but forcing everyone to have to choose a side to permenantly align with...? I really can't see that many Romulans becoming defectors. I don't see any way to believably write that sort of story...of a Romulan joining the ranks of Starfleet or the KDF, and then having it ring true for the hundreds of Romulans that are likely to be created.

I agree with what a few have said: About how they need to be a more stealthy/infiltrator type faction.

Some of what they have already done for the Romulans doesn't make terribly much sense, and I think they should rectify that with a decent playable faction.

this person knows the mindset of a romulan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited September 2012
    adon333 wrote: »
    Actually, yeah, it is. The Romulans and Klingons have been at WAR longer, more often and much more vehemently with each other much more so than either of them have ever been with the federation. THOSE are the only plot threads connecting Romulans and Klingons.

The only time they have ever shared a mutual/temporary and partial allegiance was waaaay back in the day when Rommies gave them an outmoded no longer viable cloaking device for the secret of the infamous Klingon D-7 battlecruiser design. <and this was only due to the fact that Romulans space faring tech. was falling behind development wise and they had no choice> Any other time Romulans and Klingons knew anything other than war, it was due to the Romulans sabotaging Klingon economy, military, etc. <See ALL OF TNG>

Romulans and Klingons HATE each other. The only time Romulans are not in total war with Klingons is when they are both in a "cold war" with each other. Its in all the movies, books, and shows, its all right there just look it up if you dont believe me.

agree 1000% every thing you just said
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,233 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To be accurate the onscreen Romulan ships are these:

Bird of Prey (Enterprise)
    Bird of Prey (TOS)
    D-7 (TOS)

D'Deridex Class Warbird (TNG Onward)
    Romulan Scout (TNG)
    Romulan Science Ship (TNG: "The Next Phase")
    Romulan Shuttle (DS9)

Norexan Class Warbird[Commonly mislabeled "Valdore Class] (ST: Nemesis)

The Scimitar was an unspecified class warship of Reman design.
    Um... the name Norexan comes from the card game only... I wouldn't consider it official.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's nothing but a few rommy fans creating new accts and voting. W/E
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    edited September 2012
    eagledraco wrote: »
    It's nothing but a few rommy fans creating new accts and voting. W/E

lmao i think its more then a few
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • aelrhianaaelrhiana Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    this person knows the mindset of a romulan

*Bows head* Thank you. I've been called an expert by a few and obsessed with the Romulans by many, but I think the latter is definitely far more appropriate though I do know quite a lot about the Romulan race, culture, language...etc...

Much of how this game has written their "canon" I simply don't like. I don't find some of it very believable... Borgified Donatra...? Um... What the heck, Cryptic? Tomalak forced to retire? Wha...? He should have been in line for that Emporor seat, not some dim-witted hybrid. No Romulan in their right mind would EVER allow an outsider or hybrid into such a position of power. The people wouldn't sit back and accept it, even after losing their world do you really think they would simply allow someone like Sela to lead the Empire as a whole? No way. Someone would have assissinated her pretty quickly.

I have discussed such things with my fleet, The IRF, and a few of us are in agreement with what I have written above. Either Donatra or Tomalak should have been the next leader of the Empire, either one would have made a lot more sense in my opinion. And now with this whole minifaction nonsense that keeps cropping up...

Writers...have you watch much Star Trek at all?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Actually, yeah, it is. The Romulans and Klingons have been at WAR longer, more often and much more vehemently with each other much more so than either of them have ever been with the federation. THOSE are the only plot threads connecting Romulans and Klingons.

The only time they have ever shared a mutual/temporary and partial allegiance was waaaay back in the day when Rommies gave them an outmoded no longer viable cloaking device for the secret of the infamous Klingon D-7 battlecruiser design. <and this was only due to the fact that Romulans space faring tech. was falling behind development wise and they had no choice> Any other time Romulans and Klingons knew anything other than war, it was due to the Romulans sabotaging Klingon economy, military, etc. <See ALL OF TNG>

Romulans and Klingons HATE each other. The only time Romulans are not in total war with Klingons is when they are both in a "cold war" with each other. Its in all the movies, books, and shows, its all right there just look it up if you dont believe me.

Very much agreed. Well-stated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    lmao i think its more then a few

Well, we did have one person in Dan's thread complain that after seeing Dan's idea for playable Romulans, he wanted to change his three votes(!!!).
    edited September 2012
    *Bows head* Thank you. I've been called an expert by a few and obsessed with the Romulans by many, but I think the latter is definitely far more appropriate though I do know quite a lot about the Romulan race, culture, language...etc...

Much of how this game has written their "canon" I simply don't like. I don't find some of it very believable... Borgified Donatra...? Um... What the heck, Cryptic? Tomalak forced to retire? Wha...? He should have been in line for that Emporor seat, not some dim-witted hybrid. No Romulan in their right mind would EVER allow an outsider or hybrid into such a position of power. The people wouldn't sit back and accept it, even after losing their world do you really think they would simply allow someone like Sela to lead the Empire as a whole? No way. Someone would have assissinated her pretty quickly.

I have discussed such things with my fleet, The IRF, and a few of us are in agreement with what I have written above. Either Donatra or Tomalak should have been the next leader of the Empire, either one would have made a lot more sense in my opinion. And now with this whole minifaction nonsense that keeps cropping up...

omg this one is after my romulan heart sooooooooooooooooooooooooo this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, we did have one person in Dan's thread complain that after seeing Dan's idea for playable Romulans, he wanted to change his three votes(!!!).

Aaaaaand that's what I thought. :D
    edited September 2012

he he he dont be surpise if there still more that want a playble faction then a shortcut not to say any one ever thought they may be more romulan fans then KDF just saying ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Incorrect, THOSE are not the only plot threads connecting Romulans and Klingons, just the only ones you care about.

Incorrect, they also shared a mutual/temporary and partial allegiance waaaay back when the Tal Shiar funded the Duras' bid for control of the Empire. And they shared a mutual/temporary and partial allegiance waaaay back last year when the Tal Shiar supported the House of Torg in their bid to destroy the House of Martok. And THOSE are just the mutual/temporary and partial allegiances that Starfleet found out about, the operations that failed. The Tal Shiar are the best spies in the quadrant, so we can only guess what operations succeeded.
    Snipped for not worth repeating

Mmm, I'm sorry, given the two 'facts' you presented were demonstrably wrong I'm afraid the conclusion that you draw from them is not worth considering.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I'm truly sorry to hear that you're disappointed by cannon. But unfortunately the direction of the game is not set by a handful of poorly informed fans.
  • dm19deltadm19delta Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I read one of the typhon pact novels, and it occurred to me that this could be a viable option to a potential third faction. It has already been established that the remans won their rights with the romulans even getting their own world. sela allied the romulans with the hirogen, and now sela has been taken by the iconians at the end of cloaked intentions. This sets the stage for a new praetor, and a restored senate to assume power. The typhon pact novels are about the alliance that was created to counter the khitomer accord alliance between the federation, the klingons, and the cardassians. The alliance consisted of the romulans, the tholians, the tzenkethi, the breen, and the gorn. I know the gorn are a part of the klingon empire in STO, so instead of the gorn the pact could have the hirogen. It would be a good foundation for the third faction to start with, and it would havre a good variety of races and enough ships to satisfy, for a little while at least, even the pickiest of players. Just a thought.
    edited September 2012
    jermbot wrote: »
    I'm truly sorry to hear that you're disappointed by cannon. But unfortunately the direction of the game is not set by a handful of poorly informed fans.

What canon? Where was it said on screen that Donatra was assimilated? Where was it said on screen that Tomalak was a dismal failure and nearlysentenced to exile, but instead was graciously granted the ability to retire instead? Where was it said on screen that Romulans openly accept hybrids and outsiders running the Empire? Romulans do not like outsiders and they have less of a fondness for hybrids.

And in one of the missions, a Romulan commander saying eh, TRIBBLE the Tal'shiar, I don't care for them, here are their secrets! Yeah...how much more un-Romulan can you get?

Books are not canon; neither is fanfiction or fan-produced epsiodes/movies. This game certainly isn't in many respects.

You truly don't know what you're talking about here. It seemslike you're stirring the pot more than anything else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    OK, first off, im not really a romulan fan, but even I have to say that some of the decisions made by the STO crew are.. lolwat O.o ??

Making a fully fledged playable Romulan faction should be one of the easiest ones to build for the simple fact that the Romulan Empire needs to rebuild and stabilize. I bet some game producers would LOVE to put this one together. The Empire will need good dependable captains for their fleets to re assert their area of the galaxy. They'll have to push against the borders of Federation and Klingon space, throw in some cardassians, borg, etc. The player of course, is the one to do this, the empire, weakened and disjointed, needs to be brought together! Its perfect :)

Now I haven't really played much since the game came out. Came back a couple years later, now again I am playing again, so I'm not 100% on the lore, but there could be multiple ways to get this going.

My first thought was that a contingent of loyal officers had actually managed to bring donatra back from the borg. We've seen this more than once in the show as canon. 7of9 of course, and picard to a limited degree. With the arrival of Donatra it could represent a power shift in the empire. Romulans would not take to aligning themselves with other races, so the Hirogens could also be a faction to fight against for the romulans, not to mention the Reman.
    Heck players defeat Sela don't they? Plus im sure many romulan fans here would agree, that they would rather see a full blood in the command chair other than a half-breed, though I mean no disrespect there :)

There are other methods of course, and im sure many of you have amazing ideas that in all reality, should be listened to by the creators, and it wouldn't be too difficult to fit it into canon, either in game or out, or even a blend of the two.

Just my 2 bob. Its more than obvious in the polls what the next playable faction should be :)
  • adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2012
    jermbot wrote: »
    Incorrect, THOSE are not the only plot threads connecting Romulans and Klingons, just the only ones you care about.

You are very, and simply WRONG, I am sorry to say. Just look it up.

Incorrect, they also shared a mutual/temporary and partial allegiance waaaay back when the Tal Shiar funded the Duras' bid for control of the Empire. And they shared a mutual/temporary and partial allegiance waaaay back last year when the Tal Shiar supported the House of Torg in their bid to destroy the House of Martok. And THOSE are just the mutual/temporary and partial allegiances that Starfleet found out about, the operations that failed. The Tal Shiar are the best spies in the quadrant, so we can only guess what operations succeeded.

Once again,, you are WRONG did you even WATCH the show? The only reason they shared a "pact with a very small minority <the duras sisters> was to offer the sisters power and a seat on the council/lead of the concil once the Klingon Empire was taken over by Romulus... go watch the show before you argue nerdom with me... I know my stuff yoes.

Mmm, I'm sorry, given the two 'facts' you presented were demonstrably wrong I'm afraid the conclusion that you draw from them is not worth considering.

Once again, you are wrong, so, so wrong, listen, I am not syaing this to be antagonistic, you really ARE wrong, go watch the DS9 episodes you are talking about if you STILL dont believe me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited September 2012
    The Romulans allied with the Klingon Empire long ago to trade their cloaks for several of the Klingon's D7 battlecruisers, as mentioned above.

While the Klingons and Romulans are bitter enemies, this didn't stop the House of Duras from recieving aid from the Romulans, and more specifically, Sela, who, as a half-breed, still attained a high rank and prominence in the Tal'Shiar in ST: TNG.

There are two seperate episodes of ST: TNG where high ranking members of the Romulan military defected to the Federation. The first instance was a Romulan admiral that defected to the Enterprise, and the second instance saw members of the Tal'Shiar abduct Deanna Troi, surgically alter her to look like a Romulan commander in the Tal'Shiar, and then gave her the mission to safely deliver several more high ranking defectors placed in stasis pods. This episode even saw the agent responsible for Deanna Troi's abduction sacrifice his own life in order to ensure that Deanna Troi was able to complete her mission.

Toward the end of ST: TNG Ambassador Spock is living on Romulus gathering support from Romulan dissidents for Vulcun/Romulan Reunification.

The Romulans ran a prison colony which was discovered by Worf where the Romulans and Klingons, at least for a time, lived in harmony with each other. This was also from ST: TNG if I'm not mistaken.

ST: Voyager had an episode where a Romulan Commander 30 years in the past agreed to deliver messages to the Voyager crew's loved ones at a time set after Voyager's disappearance.

The last few seasons of ST: DS9 saw the Romulans allied with the Federation and the Klingons to fight in the Dominion War, and even though they were duped into believing that the Dominion was already making plans to invade them, they still joined the war on the side of the Federation Alliance. They fought alongside Klingons, and the multiple races in the Federation, and, as it was stated above, in ST: Nemesis, it was stated that Remans were used as shock troops by the Romulans during the Dominion War.

And Speaking of ST: Nemesis. Several high ranking members of the Romulan military, helped not only a Human clone, but a slave that worked almost his entire life in the Reman Dilithium mines to assasinate the entire Romulan Senate and take over as Praetor. Only when Donatra realized what a mistake they had made did they try to make amends for their actions and assist the Enterprise in battle, which ended up with Shinzon mopping the floor with the Romulans. And let's not forget what Donatra said to Picard after the battle was over.

Those are all what you would consider hard canon sources, and pretty hard evidence that the Romulans aren't nearly as xenophobic as you would have everyone here believe. They may be instances where certain figures in the Romulan Empire will use and abuse members of other races to get what they want, but if the writers intended that they were so uncaring, so dishonorable, and so xenophobic, then many of the examples I cited above wouldn't have been seen on screen.
    edited September 2012
    dm19delta wrote: »
    ...and more specifically, Sela, who, as a half-breed, still attained a high rank and prominence in the Tal'Shiar in ST: TNG.
    QUOTE]

Sela was a commander in the military; she is NOT in the Tal'shiar, nor was she ever affiliated with it. She was the daughter of a general, she wasn't one herself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    Ok, but the fact remains, if they had such a problem with hybrids as you claim, then she wouldn't have made it to the rank of commander, regardless of whether or not her father was a General, and for that matter, she wouldn't have been born because he would've had Tasha Yar executed instead of taking her for his wife and fathering a hybrid child with her.
    edited September 2012
    The first instance was a Romulan admiral that defected to the Enterprise - agreed but then latter did what? for fear of loseing his family back on romulas

ppl can talk all day on how Sela help the Duras family but only to put the Klingons in to a state of civil war so the romulans could come and conquer them more easily

ST: Voyager had an episode where a Romulan Commander 30 years in the past agreed to deliver messages to the Voyager crew's loved ones at a time set after Voyager's disappearance. = never got set go back to watch as to why

The last few seasons of ST: DS9 saw the Romulans allied with the Federation and the Klingons to fight in the Dominion War = ummmmm because they where tricked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2012
    Nothing is really known about Sela's story, for all we know her mother was that general's pleasure slave and nothing more. There are many cases (not in Trek mind you) where pleasure slaves have children that their master will raise. That could be the case here. No one knows. For all we know Sela was making up a Boo-hoo sob story to get Picard's trust. If what she said was truth, then it is very possible that her father got her to where she is in the military. A commander is one thing, but empress? No way, I don't buy that for a second.

daan is also correc.

The point is, the writers aren't going to come up with a belivable solution as to why (if a minifaction goes ahead) hundreds and hundreds of Romulans are suddenly defecting to the enemy. And the Romulans have always been a highly xenophobic race, that is how they were envisioned and created.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What canon? Where was it said on screen that Donatra was assimilated? Where was it said on screen that Tomalak was a dismal failure and nearlysentenced to exile, but instead was graciously granted the ability to retire instead? Where was it said on screen that Romulans openly accept hybrids and outsiders running the Empire? Romulans do not like outsiders and they have less of a fondness for hybrids.

And in one of the missions, a Romulan commander saying eh, TRIBBLE the Tal'shiar, I don't care for them, here are their secrets! Yeah...how much more un-Romulan can you get?

Books are not canon; neither is fanfiction or fan-produced epsiodes/movies. This game certainly isn't in many respects.

You truly don't know what you're talking about here. It seemslike you're stirring the pot more than anything else.

The Tal Shiar are now bent on killing innocent Romulans without provocation... and everyone else.

They've betrayed any duty they once had and have embraced the Iconians, who want to kill every living thing in the galaxy.
    edited September 2012
    They've betrayed any duty they once had and have embraced the Iconians, who want to kill every living thing in the galaxy.

ya if its not them its the borg if its not them its the 8472 if its not them its the breen am i forgeting one?

:)

point is there is always something trying to whipe out all existing in the universe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    do you want it to end up like the kdf?
    edited September 2012
    darthorici wrote: »
    do you want it to end up like the kdf?

better that then unbelievable romulan Feds or KDF for the Feds have a blue Ui have there own ships have there own outfits same for KDF im not a KDF fan im more romluan then Fed

and i am bebeing honest
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dm19delta wrote: »
    Ok, but the fact remains, if they had such a problem with hybrids as you claim, then she wouldn't have made it to the rank of commander, regardless of whether or not her father was a General, and for that matter, she wouldn't have been born because he would've had Tasha Yar executed instead of taking her for his wife and fathering a hybrid child with her.

Romulans dont have a problem with other races, not even humans even though they tend to growl about the fact they do, it's more a smoke screen for fear of assimilation and loss of the Romulan society as a whole, where as klingons are not choosey about who wonders into their great hall, enemy or ally, as long as they are honorable and well received, they are allowed in. As long as this person be it klingon, breen or ferengi can act as a romulan, and do things by the romulan way then proven their loyalty, then they will be acknowledged as a Romulan officer not the outsider, but some obviously would challenge this because there could be bad blood or just resentment of assimilation into the wider galaxy.
  • varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Tal Shiar are now bent on killing innocent Romulans without provocation... and everyone else.

The Tal-Shiar only kill opponents when it becomes a problem to the ambitions of certain senators with a part to play in keeping the Romulan tradition and culture alive. the Tal-Shiar themselves are respected and feared within the empire, that is enough to wield political power alone, so if a senator decides to enact a law that allows remans to claim land on the surface and a public apology, the Tal-Shiar would consider it their duty to assassinate this senator before it happens.

They won't serve the Iconians, they may know about them from Sela, but they won't become servant to the Iconians. only a few delusional Romulan's think of power and think Iconians as allies like Sela thought with the Duras sisters half a decade earlier. she saw it as a ticket to a place on the senate by controlling the Duras and through them, the Klingon empire. that would of carried substantial weight on the senate.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Meow, what I'd like to see is:

- At least available from Level 20 onwards like the KDF as second secondary faction and not as a tertiary faction, so players have a choice to go for KDF or RSE once they have reached Commander 24 rank.
    - Playable races should be Romulans, Remans, Hirogen and a few special Beta-Quadrant origined races like the Hyralans, the Aelasians (Saturday's Child), the Tarodians or the Mylasi.
    - Quinnie for Fed, Jimpuck for KDF, so ... Sela or Donatra (the cute one, not the Borg one) for RSE. ^^
    - Playable ships: Bird-of-Prey and Seeker-class (Commander), Mogai Escort and Hunter-class (Captain), D'deridex Warbird and Apex-class (Admiral). More based on player wishes like Shrike-class, Venator-class, Talon-class shuttle, Super-stealth Hunter shuttle, Scimitar Dreadnought and Huntmaster Dreadnought (High-end for level 60 in Season whenever) etc.
    - PVP must be enhanced so there can be a triangle war (UFP, KDF, RSE) or just UFP-RSE and KDF-RSE if players wish so. But the chance should be there for a big ship fight. :)
    - At least the same amount of PVE content like we have now for the KDF, meaning at least 5 or 6 faction-unique PVE episodes and access to all featured ones.

~ Meowz
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
This discussion has been closed.