What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• Options
    skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The obvious solution for elite STFs is simply to award the 15 marks for the full completion, and the 60+ for the optional

Not only would players strive to improve their game and tactics, but it makes the afk prospect of it completely pointless.

With the power creep, 4 competent and reasonably experienced players should get the optionals, (unless they all brought their Science ships) so I honestly don't think that'd help with people AFKing a whole lot.
  • Options
    magoo200magoo200 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As all STO players are aware and for quite a long time now we keep getting players in STF'S that just come in and sit there and leech of other players.:mad:
    It's about time STO start to take this seriously and give us the option in game to kick players out that do this because it is clearly evident that complaining doesn't get us anywhere.
    I'am sure i am not on my own when i say i am fed up of this and it would be easier just to give us a boot icon where if the other players agree we can all just click a boot icon and the player is removed with a 1 hour penalty is in cured.
    i have asked for this for 6 months now and it's not fair to other players and also takes the fun out of STF'S,please reply to this thread and get STO to sit up and take note of how frustrating this has become.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This has been suggested many times before and it is simply far too open to abuse.
    Unlikely to happen.

Anyway the leacher problem isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be anyway.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    magoo200 wrote: »
    As all STO players are aware and for quite a long time now we keep getting players in STF'S that just come in and sit there and leech of other players.:mad:
    It's about time STO start to take this seriously and give us the option in game to kick players out that do this because it is clearly evident that complaining doesn't get us anywhere.
    I'am sure i am not on my own when i say i am fed up of this and it would be easier just to give us a boot icon where if the other players agree we can all just click a boot icon and the player is removed with a 1 hour penalty is in cured.
    i have asked for this for 6 months now and it's not fair to other players and also takes the fun out of STF'S,please reply to this thread and get STO to sit up and take note of how frustrating this has become.

I would prefer the devs not add your insta-troll button, TYVM.
  • Options
    marcase2marcase2 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's a known issue with a known solution - ANY solution to deal with leechers is inevitably worse than the problem itself.

* A time gated auto-kick is a no-go as some STFs can be finished <5 mins;
    * An inactive auto-kick (get kicked if not moving) will be dealt with by simply moving fwd and backward a meter;
    * A vote-kick is just another tool for idiots to be abused.
    * Can't (auto) kick a player if all he does is fly around and not shoot.

Best solutions: don't PUG - Cryptic invented fleets for a reason. Join EliteSTF channel for serious players.
    Warp out and restart your Pug STF; it may be annoying, but it's less annoying than having a leecher.

Also, sometimes players are AFK in STFs because Real Life butts in. It's hard to tell.
    Marcase-Medal-banner-2.png
    The Mighty 44th. Boldly bashing Borgs to bits since 2010.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    well i must disagree with you my friend nearly ever STF i have been on i have had a leech and as i say why should leeches benifit of others hard work unless you side with leeches,regarding your claim to that it's open to abuse then i disagree again it has to be all four players that all agree that the leech is not taking part and that sort of thing to be honest rarely never goes unnoticed.
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tekehd wrote: »
    I would prefer the devs not add your insta-troll button, TYVM.
    Agreed, that is one bridge too far and open to abuse as the previous poster mentioned.
    I don't often see leechers, maybe one in a month or so. It is unfair to other players though so Cryptic should come up with a way to detect them like a certain amount of time of inactivity on the mission.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh, this again.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    well i must disagree with you my friend nearly ever STF i have been on i have had a leech and as i say why should leeches benifit of others hard work unless you side with leeches,regarding your claim to that it's open to abuse then i disagree again it has to be all four players that all agree that the leech is not taking part and that sort of thing to be honest rarely never goes unnoticed.

Really, because in the year and a half I've been playing I've only ever encountered one leach. ONE! And I never use private cue, always pug. I think you may be exaggerating the problem my friend.

And also if you think that this feature you are propossing would not be abused then you are extremely naive. (at least if all the reports of grieving are to be believed.)

An please don't assume that I'm in favor of people leaching. It says more about you then me.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    All that disagree with my comments frankly are not interested with sorting this problem and are just interested with keeping the problem,it is simple it is not fair to other players and i hope that you realize that this will not go away until we find a solution to keeping leeches out of STF's,i don't want to sumit to a none care attitude and just give up and let a leech benefit of my hard work or indeed of others
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    All that disagree with my comments frankly are not interested with sorting this problem and are just interested with keeping the problem,it is simple it is not fair to other players and i hope that you realize that this will not go away until we find a solution to keeping leeches out of STF's,i don't want to sumit to a none care attitude and just give up and let a leech benefit of my hard work or indeed of others

Ah, I get it now. You are a troll. nvm.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    well you must be a leech then :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    well you must be a leech then :)

No, not at all.

But you seem to have the attitude that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. So unless you are trolling, you are simply a massive egotist.

Which is i?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Agreed, that is one bridge too far and open to abuse as the previous poster mentioned.
    I don't often see leechers, maybe one in a month or so. It is unfair to other players though so Cryptic should come up with a way to detect them like a certain amount of time of inactivity on the mission.

Yes, and as someone who likes helping new players just getting into eSTF's..... I see many more packs of elitists jumping down the throats of new players than I do leechers....... the last thing I want to do is give the the former insta-kick buttons.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    your a biggot of fairness lol
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    No, not at all.

But you seem to have the attitude that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. So unless you are trolling, you are simply a massive egotist.

Which is i?

Also, you are the only person in this thread to comment in favor off his. Are we all leachers then?

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    what has new players got to do with it we are talking about long-time players that are lvl 50 leeching here
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    you tell me?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    you tell me!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    you tell me?:rolleyes:

Yeah a troll. I'm done with you now.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ask not what sto can do for you but what can you do for sto, lol, the salution to this is so very simple , this is a problem easily solved by the community, simply every body leave the stf, hop on another toon to do stfs while that one is on 1 hour cool down, and once a couple people leave then the rest don't even get the penalty, this way the leecher wont get anything, and if you don't have another toon then simply go do something else for and hour there is plenty of stuff to do in this game, after a while the leechers will learn its not getting them anything.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thought as much and let the proper discussion resume when pro-leechers get out and let the real hard workers discuss how we can get rid of cheats.cya
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ask not what sto can do for you but what can you do for sto, lol, the salution to this is so very simple , this is a problem easily solved by the community, simply every body leave the stf, hop on another toon to do stfs while that one is on 1 hour cool down, and once a couple people leave then the rest don't even get the penalty, this way the leecher wont get anything, and if you don't have another toon then simply go do something else for and hour there is plenty of stuff to do in this game, after a while the leechers will learn its not getting them anything.

And then the leecher leaves the match without penalty and rejoins another queue.

The solution should be having someone on your ignore list prevents you being teamed with that person. The more a leecher gets ignored the harder it is for them to get a game. No STF rage quitting and no kick feature to be abused.

I actually thought STO did have an ignore-teaming function but it's been quite a while since I actually pugged.:o
    As what i can do for STO? lets get one thing straight i'am the consumer and to be frank STO has been lacking in consumer relations as of present,STO should keep tabs of STF'S and how many are kicked for genuine reasons i.e leeching,why would having a boot tab be abuse and then why would players lie to boot someone? that why it has to be an overall vote to kick,it makes it fair!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As what i can do for STO? lets get one thing straight i'am the consumer and to be frank STO has been lacking in consumer relations as of present,STO should keep tabs of STF'S and how many are kicked for genuine reasons i.e leeching,why would having a boot tab be abuse and then why would players lie to boot someone? that why it has to be an overall vote to kick it makes it fair!

Say you get queued with 3 people who are friends and before the end of the STF they decide to vote kick everyone else before the match ends and they lose out on end loot. Is that not abuse? If you give players a system that can be abused in some way, it will be.
    That can't happen there has to be a 4 people vote and your 3 mates can't do it unless they have a fourth to kick the leech
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    what has new players got to do with it we are talking about long-time players that are lvl 50 leeching here

Because the same button that can be used to vote kick one person can be used to vote kick another. This is the flaw to vote kick and why it has been generally argued against.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Actually all the players must chat box the leech and give him the chance to take part and if the players still does not reply or take part in say 1 1/2 mins then a boot is called for,i have finished an STF with four players
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If the leech is booted then why would the other player boot others if they are taking part it makes no sense and as i say it needs four to boot you would need another player to join the STF you are playing to do this and boot another player
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That can't happen there has to be a 4 people vote and your 3 mates can't do it unless they have a fourth to kick the leech
    If the leech is booted then why would the other player boot others if they are taking part it makes no sense and as i say it needs four to boot you would need another player to join the STF you are playing to do this and boot another player

Then what if a small fleet only has 4 players available for STFs and decide to queue as a team for an STF then vote kick the 5th guy off the team?

You may be thinking it's never going to happen but it can and it will and that's the abuse that so many worry about facing.