What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• Options
    clamyfishstickclamyfishstick Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    it's been a problem for a long time now... Cryptic won't do anything and we aren't even allowed to name names... it's a bad system and it's unlikely to change.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ....and we aren't even allowed to name names...

you 'do' understand why don't you ?
    edited August 2013
    fftt wrote: »
    LOL. You go from synchronized queuing from seconds in one post to half an hour in another.
    valoreah wrote: »
    So again, this would not work. A team of 4 friends teamed together for a queue would count as 1 vote against the 1 AFK leecher. 1 wouldn't be a majority, so they're stuck withe the leecher.

If you can't be bothered to read or understand, there's really no point in addressing your 'concerns.'
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    Can't help it if the suggestion didn't make sense and doesn't work. ;)

How would you know if you don't read?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    Some options (based on the old AD+D alignment system choose the one that suits you best)

Lawful good option
    Simply reduce the reward til its not worth them doing this , a reward that goes down and down as the timer ticks away would do this
    Tighter rules for the public good

Neutral Good option
    Log out anyone who doesn't move or fire for 30 seconds and bring in someone else
    (reseting the timer By a minute each time)

Chaotic good option
    Log out yourself that will teach them

Lawful neutral option
    Set the missions so if it Fails there is NO reward they pull their weight or it fails

True Neutral option
    leave it alone it will find its own balance

Chaotic neutral option
    Automatically phase shift afkers into an instance together and pull together the people ACTIVE into one instance (longer clock and lesser number of targets carry over)

Lawful Evil option
    Anyone who fails to respawn when downed in ground combat accumulates ALL injurys the rest of the team gets
    Anyone further than 100 metres from team at end (and not Dead) gets no reward
    anyone who LEAVES the match leaves with a full set of injurys
    In space the ship takes the damage
    and distance is 50 km

Neutral evil option
    Create an AFK instance
    sit in it for 30 minutes you get the reward

Chaotic evil option
    randomly delete the account of one AFK every hour on the hour

So u die just before the end of the mission and get no reward becasue u r too far from the team?
    some of you ideas seem unlogical to me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm actually laughing harder at your response than the D&D alignments :)
  • Options
    stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Possible solution.

I was thinking of this right after Captain Geko said in the podcast, "What does stardestroyer001 have to say about the AFK leecher problem?". CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Problem: Afk leechers.
    Problem: Human teammates cannot be trusted with a vote to kick.
    Problem: Computer will boot disconnected/server connection issue players if a timer is instituted.
    Problem: Human players can't fire on their teammates.

Solution: The dual approach.

The game times how long a player is inactive (not pressing buttons).
    The game will give a specified length of time where a player who is having connection issues can return to the STF, otherwise they are booted and a replacement Queuer is brought in. The disconnected player who disconnected and logged back in after the set time, receives no penalty.

After an AFK player has hit the time limit, the game then gives a vote to kick option to all players. ALL remaining players must vote to kick - if even one person chooses to spare the AFK player, the vote to kick fails and will re-start after a second elapsed time.

Example: "Kirk It Up@IDon'tWorkHard4Anything" is our AFK leecher.

The game keeps track of idling from all players. After five minutes of no movement from Kirk It Up, the vote to kick system initiates. Everyone in the team votes to kick, Kirk It Up is booted, and a new queuer joins the match.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • Options
    cloudjumper190cloudjumper190 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One real simple solution to this problem is to scale down the size of the map, or put up a warning to engage or leave with a time limit of 1 to 2 minutes,( or what ever is justifiable), of inactivity once the battle has started, auto-booting you out. Maybe even add a time penalty if you are auto-booted by the system. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2013
    Seems to me that AFKers are able to do this because the game doesn't adapt. Every encounter is exactly the same. If enemies spawned dynamically or even better went after you it would make things a lot more dangerous.

If you combined more serious death penalties(costs) + inactive timer + respawn/kick then you could get closer to a system that punishes afkers.

At this point though isn't it just easier to allow a kick which requires a unanimous vote of 4 players.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    STO simply needs to remove the leaver penelty, it was very poorly implimented in the first place, then people can vote themselves out of a game that's being ruined by AFK and the likes, this way afk get nothing and those playing the game can pop into another game without issue and continue to play it without having to be unfairly treated for the inactions of others.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And that takes us right back to the days before the leaver penalty where everyone was complaining about how they couldn't complete STF's because of all the people quitting left and right.

So how exactly is returning to massive leaver griefing an improvement over AFKing?

It isn't. His leaving will be construed, by the remaining team, as the "inactions of others" he mentioned himself (cuz, let's face it, leaving means you're as AFK from the match as you can possibly get).

There ARE a few things Cryptic can do to prevent AFK-ing, though:

- After death, you *must* respawn within a reasonable interval. If not, auto-kicked and leaver penalty.

- Not 100% on-topic, but you can no longer enter an Elite STF in a damaged ship. If you do so anyway, you get auto-kicked.

- Activity monitor auto-kicks you when it has determined you're doing too little.

The latter is the hardest, of course, as defining 'activity' is kinda tricky. It's probably still the way to go, though, as any other solution requiring GM oversight is doomed to fail.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And that takes us right back to the days before the leaver penalty where everyone was complaining about how they couldn't complete STF's because of all the people quitting left and right.

So how exactly is returning to massive leaver griefing an improvement over AFKing?

These forums are not the majority of the STO user base for a start, but lets look at both options...

Old way..

People afk, People leave STF, people complain, people join another STF right away, min time wasted on failed stf, nobody really suffers as they go join another stf right away.

New way

People afk, People wont leave first or second due to penalty, people compain, time wasted in a failed stf, everybody suffers.

The old way had less of a impact on those wanting to play the stf.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tobar26th wrote: »
    So, it's a long despised issue, and I dare say most Endgame players have seen it at some point or other - so let's talk about solutions!

The Problem
    Various events - Fleet Activities, PVP Matches, STFs reward players for taking part in them. This reward is given out regardless of player participation so a player can queue up, sit at the Transwarp gate in PVP three times a day and get 1440 Dilithium.

Similarly in STFs, the player can come in, sit at spawn and do nothing, and as long as the match completes, get their two EDCs and 1100 dilithium.

Personal Rant: Played a Khitomer Accord Space Elite today with a PUG group (yes yes I know, don't PUG...but humour me) where I had two 'genius' level players. The first of which sat on spawn for the first five minutes, and when, out of pure spite, I pulled a Cube onto him RAN AWAY to the other side of the match and AFK'd there instead...and the second who came in and after a few minutes said 'what do I have to do?' and when asked if he'd done the normals said 'I didn't see the need, lesser rewards'.....geez!:rolleyes:

Anyway off the rant, let's find a solution - now as I see it we have too main issues here - PVP AFKing where there's a winner, and PVE where it's cooperative.

So take a moment, propose your own solution - one for the competitive PVP, and one for the PVE where it's cooperative...

SIMPLE SOLUTION

KICK/VOTE Option nuff said
    :cool:
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The devs factual and accurate datamining that was compiled when they decided to add the Leaver Penalty disagrees with your uninformed opinions based on inaccurate assumptions.

Really, you think they actually spent more than 5 mins implimenting the leaver penelty, intresting, a system that punishes everybody for the actions of a minority, intresting.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You actually think the leaver penalty only took 5 minutes to code? Either you are deliberately being obtuse and sarcastic or your ignorance on coding is staggering. :P

Anyway as i said, it caused more issues than it solved, the old way had more positives for people than the present system, it was not perfect but at least people wishing to play the game were not forced to sit in failed STF's waiting for somebody else to take that leaver penelty hit so they could continue playing the game.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I got in one last night were 3 guys took turns going AFK. And all they did was trigger the cubes (khit), then run.

After a while I just quit.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    svindal777 wrote: »
    I got in one last night were 3 guys took turns going AFK. And all they did was trigger the cubes (khit), then run.

After a while I just quit.

Yeah, they ruin the STF then do this because they know you will have to leave and incur that penelty, it's a double win for them. :(
  • Options
    csagent31csagent31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Surely if you are able to click Engage to enter the event or STF, you should play instead of wasting a spot for others who actually want to play and help out the team.

Yes, I've heard of the real life issues coming up - but come on, if you queue and then join a STF/Fleet Event, you should be ready to focus and play with your team or the rest of the group.

How hard is it to exit the game then if something comes up? Not hard at all.

Besides, we know you are there because when loot comes up - you hit Need/Greed or Pass while having done nothing to contribute to the success of the group/team.

I wish I could meet these people and punch them in the face!

So do us all favor and don't be an TRIBBLE! I see this happening all of the damn time in Starbase Fleet Defense!
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Go resurrect my team vote kick thread,a dev posted in it so there are trying to figure a fix out
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    old news. not gonna change anytime soon. get over it.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    old news. not gonna change anytime soon. get over it.

Hater gotta hate something...why can you hate leechers instead of their victims?

• Options
    entrancedandrewentrancedandrew Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have seen people that are clearly Afk farming intentionally. I can easily tell because they have extreme hull damage showing that they have not repaired. And by extreme I mean just a massive line of broken systems. Annoying as hell when i see it. I report and and carry on with my day.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There's other possibilities, you know. I once had the batteries in my wireless mouse die on me right in the middle of a PVE battle.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    There's other possibilities, you know. I once had the batteries in my wireless mouse die on me right in the middle of a PVE battle.

And you couldn't say your mouse died usi.g the keyboard?

• Options
    rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dahminus wrote: »

^^^ This.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The game kicks out players who are inactive for 15 minutes. They should use the same encoding to kick from STFs/Fleet Actions/PVP matches those who are inactive for more than 5 minutes. Need/Greed clicks as not counting as activity.
  • Options
    oldkirkfanoldkirkfan Member Posts: 1,263 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Has happened to me more than once. It takes 30-45 seconds to change batteries, and a quick "Mouse dead, brb" usually results in no AFK flaming.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I did. I'm just saying, sometimes it's not the AFK guy's fault he dropped off. Maybe his kid hurt himself or something.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.