What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• Options
    grob44grob44 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    AFK is bad but worse are players that are there but don't fight. Ive seen borg and crystal encounters where the player ship is moving but nevers fires or takes hits, stays out of range or sometimes parks their but just behind you.
  • Options
    dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2013
    When somebody is playing for a few mins, than suddenly AFKs because of Life or Flat Batteries they usually apologise or at least start playing again.

I think we're all fine with these people.

The people who sit there doing nothing, cloaked if possible and hitting Need on every item of loot are the ones we hate.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yesterday I had the best experience, in an STF we had and an AFKer and suddenly an other person stopped playing because he didn't want to help an AFKer getting free loot.

The time has come that Cryptic does something, and implement something that AFKers don't get loot.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It honestly wouldnt be hard to spot a farm player. There is a damage/heal tracker in pvp matches and we know there is one in pve (since there are score places and loot distributions based on it)

It should be pretty obvious that someone with zeroes in all columns is not participating.

Three strikes = 30 day ban of the whole account
    Three more = perma ban, and a check for other accounts tied to the same IP, effectively nullifying any chance the person is using throwaway alts they dont care about.

Yeah, im pretty draconian but that is exactly how I would handle it.

Until then just report the TRIBBLE.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bridgern wrote: »
    Yesterday I had the best experience, in an STF we had and an AFKer and suddenly an other person stopped playing because he didn't want to help an AFKer getting free loot.

The time has come that Cryptic does something, and implement something that AFKers don't get loot.

That might have been me, I did that yesterday and badgered the hell out of the afker until they moved. (for the record it worked. with both of us out of the game the instance was doomed to fail, the idiot had no choice but to join in or face wasting his own time)

I am going to continue the process as well. I refuse to support leeches.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    AFkers are players that join a group event and purposely do not participate in the group event thus circumventing the participation portion of the event to collect the end mission reward and they are using the leaver penalty as an advantage knowing full well that most players would rather go forward with the mission rather than being penalized for leaving thus they (AKFers) by not participating in a group event are knowingly and purposely disrupting the normal flow of the game and causing a negative effect on other players who are trying to enjoy the game.

In my opinion players that are AFK for the duration of the mission should be penalized in some way because of the following:

Circumventing the participation portion of a group event only to collect the end mission reward(s) should be considered a violation of some kind.

Disrupting the normal flow of a group mission by not participating should also be considered a violation.

An AFkers action of nonparticipation is negatively affecting other players and preventing them from enjoying the game should also be considered a violation.
  • Options
    vermatrixvermatrix Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I haven't run across very many afkers yet. What I have run across is idiots. People showing up for space stfs or fleet events in a Miranda with junk equipment that usualy gets blown up in 1 shot. Then theres the people that join a colony invasion run who think they are a cross between rambo and bruce lee and as soon as the mission starts they dash off from the start point to the end point so every single enemy on the map comes to dog pile on the remaining players while at the same time causing all the side stuff to fail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    comic1996comic1996 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What I real hate is when they do it in a elite game.
  • Options
    jojobejojobe Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is to the point where it is rampant. :(
  • Options
    jojobejojobe Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I do not know why they did but they took it down.:mad:
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I was running Crystalline Catastrophe today, and saw something that seemed kind of new if it was what I think it was. Perhaps others have seen it too? Upon entering, I noticed that two of my teammates were flying Mirandas according to their silhouette icons, which was bad enough. Not long after I realized they hadn't even spawned for a while. Upon examining their info, they both seemed to still be wearing default uniforms, not unlike those EC seller spammers from a while back. One finally spawned about halfway in, but was basically just flying around being as useful as someone in a T1 ship can be (i.e. spending most of the time waiting to respawn after exploding). Naturally, with at last 1/5th of the instance roster being essentially useless, the whole thing took a lot longer than it needed to. What I found curious was that the other Miranda commander spawned just seconds after the CE was destroyed. I'm guessing that AFKers who don't spawn for most of the round just sit on the "Press Any Key When Ready" load screen for the whole time, but to have that accurate a level of timing has to mean they had a confederate already spawned in the instance. I'd guess it was the other Miranda.

It seems there's another thread complaining about AFKers every other day for the past couple years, so now that people are just being this blatant about it, will there still be nothing done about it?
  • Options
    captainednacaptainedna Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They cant do anything about that because they are too busy banning people who chat on esd.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    so you cant do CC in a miranda wearing a default uniform ?

edited September 2013
    While I'm sure this was frustrating for you, I don't really see anyway this could be stopped because there really wasn't any (confirmed) rule breaking here.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is a stupid question, but I didn't think the Crystalline Catastrophe was currently running. Where can I find it?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    PVE queues
    edited September 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    This is a stupid question, but I didn't think the Crystalline Catastrophe was currently running. Where can I find it?

In the pve queue list, it gives dil and your choice of nukara or fleet marks.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    so you cant do CC in a miranda wearing a default uniform ?

If you'd actually read the entirety of the post, I was pointing out the suspicious nature of there being two of them, one of whom only spawned for the first time mere seconds after all the objectives had been completed, indicating either incredibly improbable fortuitous timing, or cooperation with another player. Given the general disdain of AFKers by most players, it seems likely that the one who did spawn midway through the round was just there to determine when the round ended for the other one.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    darthwoo wrote: »
    ....It seems there's another thread complaining about AFKers....

which warrants yet another brand new thread that will just get merged or closed because you knew that fact .... makes perfect sense to me.

.:rolleyes:
    edited September 2013
    which warrants yet another brand new thread that will just get merged or closed because you knew that fact .... makes perfect sense to me.

.:rolleyes:

Again, I'm pointing out something that seems to be a new occurrence, that being potentially multi-account AFK leeching.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    PVE queues
    packer3434 wrote: »
    In the pve queue list, it gives dil and your choice of nukara or fleet marks.
    That's where I thought it would be, but it isn't. At least not on this character. I shall have to check my other ones.

Edit: Being dumb, nevermind. I'd never noticed it before cause I'd been searching under marks rather than dilithium.

Anyone know what the average mark reward is on Elite?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    gear, dilithium or nukura marks...not sure how many...never very much.

low spots get little, first place gets more.

so if you dont participate the reward is pretty lowish
    edited September 2013
    flash525 wrote: »
    That's where I thought it would be, but it isn't. At least not on this character. I shall have to check my other ones.

Edit: Being dumb, nevermind. I'd never noticed it before cause I'd been searching under marks rather than dilithium.

Anyone know what the average mark reward is on Elite?

I can't speak for elite as I rarely do it, however I did the normal one recently on a new character and got 50 marks (wasn't during the bonus hour) so elite would obviously be more than that.
    Well I can't forget a face but I won't remember y'all.
    Bleed Green and Gold
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Regular is 40 marks of choice (Nukara or Fleet) plus 5 fleet regularly, with 50 marks of choice during bonus time.

Elite is 80 marks of choice plus 5 fleet during bonus time, but I haven't tried it during regular hours.

The one time I've tried elite, it seemed to go pretty well, but even so, I'm not sure the extra marks would necessarily justify the extended average time for completion. That is of course assuming you get a round where people actually know what they're doing, and that there isn't a group AFKing in the round.
  • Options
    zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ah, the low DPS default uniforms are the giveaway. Obvious noobs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    if you want full participation in an event take the 'initiative' to organize a team willing to do it and run it in a private queue. it takes about as long to put a team together as you would wait for PUG queue anyway a lot of the time. it will save you a lot of headaches. and you wont have to waste team time by observing what the other people were doing more than participating yourself .....:cool:
    edited September 2013
    Really, so they take the time (admittedly not that long with Mirror Invasions and such) to get to level 50, and just HAPPEN to be able to spawn at nearly the moment the event is over, but it's just some new player. Perhaps the "team" thing you mention is a bit outlandish, but as my title "Possibly Multi Account" implied, it's entirely possible that a single player could be running multiple accounts simultaneously, grouping both into a team so they'd queue into the same instance, thus reaping twice the rewards for zero effort.

As for your other points, it really doesn't take long to queue into CC during bonus hours. I actually make sure to wait to join the queue until I've dealt with DOFFing or any other outstanding issues because once I've joined, it usually starts within 1-2 minutes. That's certainly a lot quicker than organizing a private match under any circumstances. I also find it rather insulting that you imply that I wasn't participating in my matches. It's not exactly a difficult thing to participate while observing your teammates. If it was, there wouldn't be much opportunity for playing team support.
  • Options
    similonsimilon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How much of the reward could be shared?

iirc, it's Marks & Dilithium. Marks are impossible to move between accounts. It can be done with dilithium, but it's damn tricky and requires you to essentially throw away money.

Unless I'm missing something, that would mean, if your theory is correct at least, that somebody is leeching resources onto 2 dummy accounts, with no way of getting them off again.
    edited September 2013
    It's easy. Open fleet menu, find project in progress, donate marks. The dilithium would obviously take longer to yield any useful results, but in the long run, you trade it in for Zen and buy something to contribute to the main account (keys, doff packs, etc.). It's known that there are fleets out there that are comprised primarily of people who constantly AFK in these events, so is it really that much of a stretch that someone has decided to take it one step farther and start doing it on two PCs (or one if it can handle it)?
This discussion has been closed.