What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• Options
    magoo200magoo200 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    psychickitty:I got called a troll cos a subject came up that was discussed some time ago which i had no knowledge about so they just jumped on the ban-waggon a call me troll,easy cop-out rather than face what's really happening with STF miss-use and clearly that leeching is a breach of TOS rules and i wish that some stop swearing and bullying like some did on this thread.
    All i did was highlight an issue that STO need to sort at the beginning of this thread if anyone cares to read.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Has someone already stated.

The best way to minimize your odds of running into a leecher is to not PUG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This has been suggested many times before and it is simply far too open to abuse.

I agree.
    Those that Leech now will just band together and abuse the boot.
    I think some sort of minimal damage dealt threshold should be met before rewards are unlocked.
    How is the hard part, obviously.
    Anyway the leacher problem isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be anyway.

No, it's bad.
    I'm noticing it more.
    I wish we could mention the Fleets these Leechers are from so they can do something about it...unless it's the norm for them.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
  • Options
    magoo200magoo200 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rezking: You are so right and i totally agree with what you are saying maybe these fleets know what some members are doing why kick them from their fleet when they bring gear into the fleet,i have penned down a leeches fleet their handle and even their ship name and reported them to their fleet only to see them in ESD with the fleet name above their character weeks later still,i have even chat boxed them to leave the STF and asked the other players to stop fighting till the leech has left,we would of lost the optional anyway so what does it matter to put down sticks till a leech leaves when he knows he won't get nothing,this why we need a boot icon that all players agree and i must say (agree) that a player that sits there and just takes be kicked from an STF. COMMON SENSE! that makes the factor. not lets get personal and go crazy "i don't like you lets boot this player"
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    magoo200 wrote: »
    rezking: You are so right and i totally agree with what you are saying maybe these fleets know what some members are doing why kick them from their fleet when they bring gear into the fleet,i have penned down a leeches fleet their handle and even their ship name and reported them to their fleet only to see them in ESD with the fleet name above their character weeks later still,i have even chat boxed them to leave the STF and asked the other players to stop fighting till the leech has left,we would of lost the optional anyway so what does it matter to put down sticks till a leech leaves when he knows he won't get nothing,this why we need a boot icon that all players agree and i must say (agree) that a player that sits there and just takes be kicked from an STF. COMMON SENSE! that makes the factor. not lets get personal and go crazy "i don't like you lets boot this player"

You are operating under the same assumption that anarchists do, People are inherently nice and want to be left alone to do their thing. Guess what, people are not nice, they are greedy, vain, and easily to hold grudges. All you need to do is have one person get pissed at you for booting them.

Even though it sucks to get an afker or lecher, it is much better in this system. I have only encountered one afker in the last six months (roughly 200 runs).
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kick button is far too easy to exploit and abuse...

my experiance in wow was that we opened a hard instance with 3 or 4 people...shortly before the endboss was down, everybody from the guild would accept to kick the 1 or 2 others from the team so they couldn't roll on the loot.

a kick button, as suggested here, would work exactly the same and fleets would also use it that way if they were only in 3 or 4, simply to keep the loot in the "family".

but STO doesn't even have that problem. the ranking system is already in most of the group content and just needs slight adjustment for stfs.

all 5 get loot, unless a certain dmg treshhold wasn't reached by the individual...this is simply put the easiest sollution, because the mechanics exist already withing the game as it is now. It just needs to be tweaked.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The best option is simply a ignore function that means u wont be grouped with them again (dont know if its already in game or not) this would eventually limit the number of groups they could get into and has less means of abuse for newbies.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The best option is simply a ignore function that means u wont be grouped with them again (dont know if its already in game or not) this would eventually limit the number of groups they could get into and has less means of abuse for newbies.

This solution I would actually be at least provisionally in favor of. (unless the is some horrible downside I've overlooked lol)
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Asking not to be grouped with people on your ignore list is a non-starter. It uses the ignore list for a purpose it's not designed for, and it makes queue management much more complicated and counter-intuitive for the users.

A kick-vote is easily the best solution. Everyone complaining that it will be abused is assuming two things:
    1, that kick-vote abuse will be worse than afk abuse, something that fails a basic rationality test - kick-vote abuse requires multiple players working in concert, afk abuse only requires one. Kick-vote abuse has no positive incentive other than griefing. Afk abuse gives players rewards in addition to griefing.
    2, there are a number of ways that the system can be implemented that would drastically reduce even the chance of kick-vote griefing.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

This is the best solution. No abuse possible, no need to have a vote. (what if 3 of the 5 don't speak your language) no abuse, no griefing, just put the leecher on ignore and never see them again. In time they won't be able to get a match and that's that. And it would be a lasting punishment as they would have to spend Zen to change handle or do private matches or start a new toon or wait hours at a time to be able to participate in group play.

If a new player starts getting placed on ignore because they are blowing the mission, not communicating or listen to advice, it will make them shape up pretty quick if they still want to be able to Pug.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Asking not to be grouped with people on your ignore list is a non-starter. It uses the ignore list for a purpose it's not designed for,

Both WoW and TOR use the ignore list as a means of not grouping with others u dont like, and as redsnake721 pointed out what if we had a kick button and someone doesn't vote or doesn't understand English and doesn't know why your asking for a kick then your only other option is to either suck it up or leave (which is your only option now anyway)

From my experience kick functions only create arguments:

people looking for a certain role in groups will kick those who arnt what they want before the battle starts (even if they are good)
    people can use it to kick if they dont get loot what they want (maybe not a issue at endgame but a kick system would most likely go across all lvls
    it fuels elitism so many times have i seen people whine and cry cause a bonus is failed (and ironicly 90% of the time its their fault anyway)
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    magoo200 wrote: »
    well i must disagree with you my friend nearly ever STF i have been on i have had a leech and as i say why should leeches benifit of others hard work unless you side with leeches,regarding your claim to that it's open to abuse then i disagree again it has to be all four players that all agree that the leech is not taking part and that sort of thing to be honest rarely never goes unnoticed.

So, lemmee get this straight. In the middle of an Elite STF, fighting for our lives YOUR solution is to stop and have a conference about whether or not to boot someone off the team? :eek:... I'll save you some time... I auto vote "NO"! :rolleyes:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There's a few things I want to touch on. Firstly my tac cap'n has thrown a hand photon grenade in a ground stf and it blowed up da borgies gud.

I saw someone say that a way to deal with a leach is to not complete until the leach leaves. Leaches are often afk for one thing and wouldn't know you were doing that. Next that gives the leach power over whether or not the rest of you complete. Leaches are not good people so they certainly wouldn't be encouraged to leave by that.

Regarding the vote-to-kick feature, there's some problems with that. Firstly, what if there are 2 leaches? Secondly some people have a phobia about offending people. It doesn't matter who. My grandma is like that. I can tell some horror stories but the point is there are people who will be afraid of clicking the kick button because someone somewhere in the world might be offended. And then of course the leach might be a friend of another member. Then there are dumb people who would have very itchy mouse fingers because they want to be among the first to try out the new feature, and probably brag about it in the forums. I can already see all the "We just kicked a leach!" threads.

There already exists a feature in the game that can act as a solution. Have you heard of the kerrat system. It's a pvp zone and also a stf-ish mission at the same time. Your reward in there is directly dependent on your amount of participation in the mission. I solo'd it before and got a purple mk 12 comsole that adds to torpedo damage. I didn't participate because I was too busy fighting those darn klinks and I got nothing. I've also been at various points in the middle on the spectrum and got rewards of appropriate quality. There already exists programming to measure participation and allot an appropriate reward. Just adapt it for stfs, pun intended.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Make me an STF GM. Ill end the leech problem quick as hell.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh good lord is this still going.

At least the op has finally stopped.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    defalus wrote: »
    And then the leecher leaves the match without penalty and rejoins another queue.

The solution should be having someone on your ignore list prevents you being teamed with that person. The more a leecher gets ignored the harder it is for them to get a game. No STF rage quitting and no kick feature to be abused.

I actually thought STO did have an ignore-teaming function but it's been quite a while since I actually pugged.:o

Im not talking rage quit simply quit and who cares if the leecher gets a penalty as long as the leecher doesn't get any reward after a while they will learn there waisting there time and will give it up.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    As title. PWE/Cryptic, are you ever going to take an official stance on this behavior?

Every time I have reported a leech, I have gotten the same copy-paste thing about account privacy and the like.

I have read both the game rules and the software EULA and have found no mentioning specifically whether or not this is against TOS.

What I want to know is if these reports are futile efforts or not.

Furthermore, it appears that whatever you may already be doing is not effective whatsoever, as many of the same chronic offenders are observed on repeated occasions.

Id like a dev response on this matter, please.

When I say leeching I am referring to players that queue up and join an instance, whether it be PvE or PvP, and contribute nothing whatsoever. They sit at the spawn point and click need on every drop, and collect the instance rewards if the other four people manage to complete it. Basically they are dragging down legitimate players and forcing them to play a man short.

Your only choices are to then carry the leech and play his game, letting him have his way, or leave the instance and suffer a leaver penalty, neither of which are exactly good. (or in the case of PvP, being pretty much guaranteed to lose the game)

The issue keeps coming up and is perpetually ignored.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My thread on team vote kicking had some attention.
    There's a dev response buried in there somewhere
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=834941

They want a solution, just not sure the proper manifestation
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah I read some of that thread, and id be genuinely concerned certain people would abuse a system like that. My question here is actually from the PWE side of the equation. We shouldnt have to be policing the queues, the GMs need to be, and taking strong enough action to prevent this issue in the first place. 30 day account wide bans perhaps? That would make people stop real quick.
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Fine. If you want to hire enough GM's to efficiently monitor the queues 24 hours a day 7 days a week for leechers you can pay their salaries out of your own pocket.

Or how about a better idea: The existing GMs actually do something about the tickets we report in. I know for a fact one guy didnt have anything happen to him, because I saw him in the same place the very next day doing it. (a perpetual mine trap leech)
    Gold.jpg
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I agree something needs to be done about leechers and other troubling issues such as flaming and trolling in chat .

But PWE does not care their only concern is to make money and how much per month they can make so banning those players takes from their bottomline .

And if PWE the parent company doesnt care why should cryptic it doesnt take a college degree to relise both PWE and Cryptic are in this for money not the game not the love of trek or a sense of responsibility to its players .

So in the end nothing will be done to chase away potential customers its a business thing and we all know to well PWE and Cryptic are ran by ferengis
  • Options
    jetwtfjetwtf Member Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2013
    There are no GM's unless a dev or Branflakes decides to enter the game on a whim.

As for GM's salaries there is no reason at all they couldnt offer the current volunteer forum moderators a volunteer GM account to police the game, both chat and in events. Other players could be offered a position if they meet whatever requiremenst the volunteer forum mods meet. They could have a dozen GM's in a week without a single penny spent.

These GM accounts should be invisible, have the ability to mute someone for 24 hours or kick out of an event. Then as for disciplinary action they make a report and the normal customer service or whoever is in charge of banning/warning people can then do that.

For fun when they kick a leech or griefer in an event they can decloak and kill them with a massive barrage of weaponry us lowly players could only dream of and then cloak and again, who they kill is out of the event. This would make for a huge warning to others that there are GM's doing something.
    "I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man. :eek:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I always got a kick out of some of the entertaining ways some companies came up with when they got rid of an RMTer. So I wouldn't mind seeing it here, but good luck getting PWE to agree with it.

It would be cool to be in an event when a GM takes action to remove the unwanted player if they did something. Ground could be security from Facility 4028 come in stun the person then drag them away to where they beamed in then beam out, another version a rift opens up near the unwanted player and some scary looking aliens come rushing in and grab the player and drag them back through the rift kicking and screaming the whole way. A third version could be a Monty Python styled where a giant hand and forearm apear from one side and grab the player and drag them away, think Q having fun with someone.

I do believe when a GM does remove an offender that person should recieve an account wide 24 hour cooldown from all queue events or just locked out of them until paid staff investigates and decides upon if further disciplinary action is needed.

It wouldnt take many times before griefers and leechers are prewarned in the zone chat and start getting with the program.
  • Options
    givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    de?sert?er

/dəˈzərtər/

noun

noun: deserter; plural noun: deserters

a member of the armed forces who deserts.

"deserters from the army"

synonyms:

absconder, runaway, fugitive, truant, escapee; More

renegade, defector, turncoat, traitor

"deserters were shot in full view of their fellow soldiers"

It is not somebody who joins and stf has half the members disconnect afk or just sits there till it fails and nothing left to do but leave.

leaveing a failed mission when there is no way to future contiune the mission is not desertion its withdrawal why do we get punished for other peoples short comeings? I did my part i fought the borg yet I am labled a deserter same as the rest.

I
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is just a game!
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Dessert

des?sert

diˈzərt/

noun
    noun: dessert; plural noun: desserts
    the sweet course eaten at the end of a meal.
    "a dessert of chocolate mousse"

Im so angry with people that join a team meal not eating just sitting there AFK
    until the whole meal fails and we cant haz our chocolate mousse.

I Demand cryptic do something to stop these AFK lunchers :mad:

Tbh these type of threads are getting old and i doubt all the ranting in the universe is going to get cryptic to do anything about it just to much time effort and resources needed to police the entire game.
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't even remember the last time I had a AFKer in my team.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well thats a better punishment than an outright ban if the paid staff decides punishment is warrented.. but not having a red tag above the pplayers name. Why not have the red tag for ground... because some people like myself has that turned off. Instead as punishment a sandwich board sign they wear stating "I am banned from queue events" kinda like the good old fashioned doom criers in cities. So for the 30 days they are forced to have a costume override that puts a sandwich board sign on em. a few of those running about and other leech/griefers will think twice about leeching and griefing.

But they have the no naming and shaming rule, but I think it shouldnt apply to this since a judge can order someone to do it in public in real life for a traffic violation, and it happens to kids sometimes when they get caught doing something wrong as a punishment from the parents. Funny seeing a kid wearing one standing at the exit to a wal-mart and the sign said "I stole from wal-mart and this is my punishment". Bet she never stole again...
This discussion has been closed.