test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    "There ought to be a law because someone is doing something that I don't like but it isn't against the law." :(

Why are you demanding someone else be punished when you continue to fail to use the tools available to you that would keep you from playing with people that you don't want to play with?

Why are you so against making friends and playing with them?

Why are you so against joining a fleet and playing with them?

Is it not common sense to play with people that you know who won't grief or upset you or blow the optional in an STF or show up to Nukara actually IN an EVA suit?

Is it really that hard for players to figure out how to play with other players nicely? Or is it just easier coming to mommy and daddy developer crying because Timmy won't play THE game YOUR way?

Yeah, I went there because that is exactly what's going and a lot of posters failed to learn that lesson way back in kindergarten.

Use the tools available that are already in-game and you don't have to worry about dealing with AFKers. :)

Not everyone wants to spend time seeking people to play private matches that still have the potential to have people leech in them especially if such people have a short amount of available playing time per day.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nicha0 wrote: »
    That only happens for the first bit, after the instance is left to rot.. if the first round leave and the second round leave the afker will be not get more people to complete the mission for them

Also if someone starts the mission and everyone else leave if more people can join they will be stuck behind the shield unable to complete the mission.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Are you sure they are AFKers and not the BOffs that are being dragged into the mission?

Hahah yea, been in too many Nukara Events and people start thinking people are being AFKers and it ends up being BOFFs. (Got to admit, the new UI does make like BOFFs are players). LOL, just yesterday, I had someone trying to revive my Breen BOFF, thinking he was a player. (Um, him being Breen would've been obvious he was a BOFF since players don't have Breen costumes). :rolleyes:

But one of the real positives of the Nukara events is the ability to manually start the event, so if there is a real AFKer, they aren't getting any marks until they move.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i think they should apply the box cage/spawn area to all the
    stf/pve queue maps, and they dont get any marks unless
    they leave the cage/spawn area.
  • ztempestztempest Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pyryck wrote: »
    "There ought to be a law because someone is doing something that I don't like but it isn't against the law." :(

Why are you demanding someone else be punished when you continue to fail to use the tools available to you that would keep you from playing with people that you don't want to play with?

Why are you so against making friends and playing with them?

Why are you so against joining a fleet and playing with them?

Is it not common sense to play with people that you know who won't grief or upset you or blow the optional in an STF or show up to Nukara actually IN an EVA suit?

Is it really that hard for players to figure out how to play with other players nicely? Or is it just easier coming to mommy and daddy developer crying because Timmy won't play THE game YOUR way?

Yeah, I went there because that is exactly what's going and a lot of posters failed to learn that lesson way back in kindergarten.

Use the tools available that are already in-game and you don't have to worry about dealing with AFKers. :)

Wow! Lots of assumptions there about me...on so few words!

I am not anti-social...I just happen to like joining PUGs -- it sometimes gives me the opportunity to meet new people and make good friends. It also is a pre-requisite for fleet recruiting. You make it sound like PUGs are for anti-social gameplay - I beg to differ. I am a member of a fleet - a very close-knit one...but like I said, I am not against meeting strangers and working in a team with potential new friends -- it sort of sounds like you are, though.

But I will say this -- PUGs are valuable, especially in identifying AFKers..because those are the type of people I DON'T want in my fleet. Shamefully...every AFKer I have ran across is part of a fleet...I guess they are good ambassadors for their fleetmates. Setting a good example there, aren't they?

In any case, getting back on topic -- this is not about punishing people...although I can see how someone who has an entitlement mindset could think that way. Whoops! I just made an assumption about YOU! Please disregard it...like it did not get typed. :)

No -- this is about freeloading leechers who enter a PUG, cloak, and laugh while the rest of the team earns their marks for them. This is about the type of player who feels entitled to a cut of everyone's work because the TOS does not specifically forbid freeloading. That is what this is about.

It is not difficult to stop this kind of behavior...but I do agree somewhat with what Corvale said -- it is a problem with no solution unless PWE/Cryptic is willing to do something about it...and if the AFKers are people who might potentially spend money in game, then the odds of any action being taken is slight, unfortunately.
  • gong1fu1pandagong1fu1panda Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I personally support AFK, because AFK needs to stop! Unlogical?! I don't think so. I hope more people go AFK... forcing Cryptic to install some measures.
  • natewest1natewest1 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    * Illogical
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I personally support AFK, because AFK needs to stop! Unlogical?! I don't think so. I hope more people go AFK... forcing Cryptic to install some measures.

thats only going to happen if cryptic starts losing player over it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • darthgranicdarthgranic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just alot team kick to be used in auto match ups. There already a reward system for those who contribute more in fleet actions so maybe something similar can be done in here, but this is a team effort not individual effort. Don't want it to be too much of individual effort where a person benefit themselves by TRIBBLE over the team. I can free ships without firing a shot so dps should not be a measure of anything.
  • binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here and there i see someone AFK-ing in STFs. Today someone did it. And he was online all the time since he was moving in reverse and got back when he was disonected.
    So my suggestion is if you dont do enough demage in STFs or any similar mission you wont get reward.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not going to change yes its annoying but meh we just have to deal
    JtaDmwW.png
  • canisanubiscanisanubis Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There's no patch for douchebags.
  • urniv821urniv821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    we all hate them.

I am sorry but I leave the PvE if there is an afk'er.

I will stand next to them ( on ground, fly in space ) and go around them until they move.. if they do not I ask.. if no response I let the others know and I'm out.

If we don't give them the free work maybe they will stop!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    urniv821 wrote: »
    we all hate them.

I am sorry but I leave the PvE if there is an afk'er.

I will stand next to them ( on ground, fly in space ) and go around them until they move.. if they do not I ask.. if no response I let the others know and I'm out.

If we don't give them the free work maybe they will stop!

isn't it worse to quit early just because someone else isn't doing what you want them too?

Fro me, i usually give them a minute or two before reporting to GM. A while ago they mentioned that they were working on something, and i hope they are, but making a DPS limit isn't going to help. Then they would just do the minimum before going AFK. Also it would drive the game further down the DPS road than it already is when it would be nice to pull away from that and add more science/engineering oriented goals.

If anything it would be nice to add some sort of voting system that strips them of the reward all together. This way it's in the players hands and will keep people from being overzealous jerks as well. Maybe they could tie it into the report GM function so people will abuse it less?
    edited July 2013
    isn't it worse to quit early just because someone else isn't doing what you want them too?

Fro me, i usually give them a minute or two before reporting to GM. A while ago they mentioned that they were working on something, and i hope they are, but making a DPS limit isn't going to help. Then they would just do the minimum before going AFK. Also it would drive the game further down the DPS road than it already is when it would be nice to pull away from that and add more science/engineering oriented goals.

If anything it would be nice to add some sort of voting system that strips them of the reward all together. This way it's in the players hands and will keep people from being overzealous jerks as well. Maybe they could tie it into the report GM function so people will abuse it less?

Really? You think i simply quit because people arent doing what I want them to do? They are AFK, doing nothing. Of course I am going to leave.

Why should my effort be leeched on from someone not doing a thing? I really don't think I have to argue this point.

Its not like I left because I didn't like the way he/she was playing...

Voting will never work on here, as many others have said in the past, and I always report but I usually see the same AFK'ers :(

Sorry if my post is a lil abrasive, but I don't feel I am doing anything wrong by leaving because of an afk'er.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Your Javelin deals 125417 (89066) Disruptor Damage(Critical) to Tholian Recluse. > lol
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Its a good point that having a dps limit just makes the game more dps oriented so thats not the way to go. Also, some people just don't know how to do real dps and if they get put with people who have a lot then they might not be able to get the reward even if they try.

As soon as you put control of the rewards in the players hands, you're going to get people who will abuse it and then instead of the forums being filled with AFK threads, we'll see them full of complaints of just randomly being voted to get no reward.

In my opinion, if you leave because of an AFK player, you're just as bad as them, forcing others to do the mission without your help.

I personally don't have any issue at all with afk people. If someone is AFK, i give them about half the mission to start playing, then report them to GM and recommend that the rest of the team do the same. If you have even an average group of people then you can finish with 4. Maybe not perfectly but good enough. Report them is the best that we can do. Vote to Kick will be abused, dps isn't fair.

A ban if someone gets too many AFK reports is the best i could think of but even that could get abused.
    edited July 2013
    xparr15 wrote: »

In my opinion, if you leave because of an AFK player, you're just as bad as them, forcing others to do the mission without your help.

You may think this. I do not agree.

But you continue doing your mission and reporting to bots. While giving the AFK'ers their rewards.

I still feel that if everyone just left the AFK'ing would decline. Maybe I'm wrong.. but I'm not going to keep dragging dead bodies along in my missions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    here's an idea,

could create a channel about afker's and post there name
    there so others can blacklist them from there fleets..
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    urniv821 wrote: »
    Really? You think i simply quit because people arent doing what I want them to do? They are AFK, doing nothing. Of course I am going to leave.

Why should my effort be leeched on from someone not doing a thing? I really don't think I have to argue this point.

Well, it is kind of like trying to get rid of a tapeworm by starving the whole family....
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I either quit as well or park next to them and don't do anything either until they move. No rewards for those douchebags.

What really pisses me off the most is the fact that I'm occasionally getting teamed with an afker I have met before and which i have on my ignore list. At least you shouldn't be teamed with a leeching piece of **** more than once...
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    what i do is find their fleet leader and message him

nobody wants an afk leecher in their fleet.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • deniedexistencedeniedexistence Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    what i do is find their fleet leader and message him

nobody wants an afk leecher in their fleet.

Unless their fleet condones such actions. I have seen in minetrap a number of times a couple of players do the run to the far corner of the map and afk thing, and they were from the same fleet.
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xparr15 wrote: »

All I see you say is ''suck it up''.

I for one won't do so, if I see an AFKer, I sit next to them until they move and encourage the team to do the same.
    STO%20Sig.png~original
    edited July 2013
    Well, it is kind of like trying to get rid of a tapeworm by starving the whole family....

No.. Not really. ;)

I generally leave early enough for another to pop in..

Plus I should have mentioned I do not do ANY borg PvE anymore. I am referring to Colony Invasion and Fleet Alert maps. Which have no leaving penalties... no reason to feed the leech.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    All I see you say is ''suck it up''.

I for one won't do so, if I see an AFKer, I sit next to them until they move and encourage the team to do the same.

Thank you ^^

We need more people like this that do not just feed the worms while saying.. "Oh well"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Early this morning I encountered a leecher and get his info in the hopes of contacting his fleet leader to see if they would be willing to take action against one of their members that was leeching. It turned out that the leecher in question was the fleet leader. Bummer for me, I suppose.

I know it's against the TOS to call out another player in the forum, but I wonder if that applies to calling out a fleet. I guess it's time to look at the TOS.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    Early this morning I encountered a leecher and get his info in the hopes of contacting his fleet leader to see if they would be willing to take action against one of their members that was leeching. It turned out that the leecher in question was the fleet leader. Bummer for me, I suppose.

I know it's against the TOS to call out another player in the forum, but I wonder if that applies to calling out a fleet. I guess it's time to look at the TOS.

it could have been a one man fleet and all the other in it was alts..

really being afk is not against the TOS..

they arent going to do anything about it.. its been an ongoing thing for months.
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
    edited July 2013

for some dumb reason we cant point out any player by name, or fleet. *sigh*

So don't bother, or you.. a legitimate player with a legitimate complaint.. about an azz will get spanked by a volunteer moderator.

Seems fair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aarons9:
    I was referring to the TOS as it relates to calling out a fleet, not to the AFKers. Sorry for the confusion.

urniv821:
    I thought as much which is why I didn't mention any names. But I am recording those players in-game information in the hopes that one day it will prove useful, if only to myself.

As far as solutions, "Vote to Kick" will be abused and "DPS Monitoring" would be unfair to those who are new or just don't get it yet. However... Since we can only fire at enemies perhaps it would be possible to implement the following:
    X% of players right-click on AFK/Leecher to access player information.
    There is a button titled "Report AFK"
    This causes the game to monitor weapons fire.
    If weapons fire equals less than X, no reward is given.
    AFK/Leecher is thwarted while other players are still able to continue with the mission.
    Additionally, to really encourage AFK/Leechers to contribute to mission success, their "cut" is divided between the active players in said mission.

Can anyone see a flaw in that plan that I am missing?

I mean, we'd still have Griefers, but I believe this would be an improvement by at least an order of magnitude.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Additionally, to really encourage AFK/Leechers to contribute to mission success, their "cut" is divided between the active players in said mission.

This part i like. That not only will they get no reward, but that the rest of the team gets the leechers reward on top of their own.

Additionally i think it's funny that so many people's response to leeching is apparently to leech themselves or to rage quit. Whatever happened to being mature and just reporting them before continuing on with the mission? By leeching yourself, you just double the initial problem, and by leaving you still make things bad for those that actually want to run the mission(unless done so early enough to be replace as someone said earlier).

It's always funny to me when people flip out over the littlest things like some one not doing something, yet defend or ignore when Cryptic breaks the game, refuses to make finish art assets, or charge $30 for a tiger(NW). People have some strange priorities...

Has there been any mention of that the Anti-AFK actions would be, or is it still a vague comment from an ask cryptic?
This discussion has been closed.