What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's talk AFK Players

Comments

• mistressbenihimemistressbenihime Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    i think people do 2 and 3 on purpose..

and 1 has been an increasing problem with the new rep system and people that dont want to grind for the xii gear..

i see all the time people saying, dont get the xii items, just get the xi stuff, its just as good and over half as much. sigh.

i still think that to join an elite mission you should have to do the regular ones x amount of times.. or even beat a certain time limit that would be really hard.

i think the same about 2 and especially 3 that why i usually rage-quit those. (it's hopeless if people start TRIBBLE up on purpose)

1 seemed to be more problematic before the rep system but maybe that because i decided to game outside of peak hours so ill have less chance to be grouped whit noobs.

PUGs can suck but that's noting new.
    THE NEW CRAFTING SYSTEM IS TERRA-BAD
    First of all it's not even a crafting system! It's just a dumb game system that's nothing more than a glorified slots machine.
    second the "special items" you hope will be the saving the saving grace are messed up to.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Mine Trap is something that's starting or has been for sometime now getting out of hand. I find now a lot of people just rather run off into the surrounding areas or buildings or climb on things to get away from doing whats needed as a team, and let the partially team do what they must to complete their side of things, and in the end the people just leech off of it.

Ive had people just showed no care whats so ever in doing this and discuss it in zone chat not even caring. Something has to get done, or implemented to that if you join a group que, you eather participate in the run or get no credit what so ever. Allowing those who are playing the game how its intended in a group design be rewarded for their efforts.

Just getting wayyy out of hand.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • gremmergremmer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    AFK players on STFs is commonplace - it's the norm. I believe I'm seeing players run automated scripts that re-spawn when needed and leave the mission when it's over. These scripts probably automatically queue as well

Having five, active players is the exception and something that now surprises me.

Given that the devs or GMs are ignoring the issue, I was thinking: What is missing here to get a solution in place from Cryptic?

Would you open your wallet and give Cryptic money for an item or service that deals with AFK players on missions?
    edited July 2013
    gremmer wrote: »
    AFK players on STFs is commonplace - it's the norm. I believe I'm seeing players run automated scripts that re-spawn when needed and leave the mission when it's over. These scripts probably automatically queue as well

Having five, active players is the exception and something that now surprises me.

Given that the devs or GMs are ignoring the issue, I was thinking: What is missing here to get a solution in place from Cryptic?

Would you open your wallet and give Cryptic money for an item or service that deals with AFK players on missions?

this item I could see being miss used big time. All they need to do is have a system to takes into account specific objectives and what 1 person on a team of 5 should get for points through out the run, if said person isn't doing their job, and is going afk and not meeting the specific tasks of completion, then said person could be kicked by the system and have the system bring in a new person into the fold immediately allowing the game and group continue without the afk or ect person leeching or doing no part in the run.
  • aarons9aarons9 Member Posts: 961
    edited July 2013
    being AFK is not against the TOS..

so what exactly are these gms going to do?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. I've run over 4000 STFs and out of all of them I have only had people AFK 6 times. Sure it's annoying, but this is easily dealt with by filing a GM report on the player
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • l9of20l9of20 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    +10 to the man who is complaining about this fact. ALMOST every game that I have played, if there was a player that was not actually playing, then you had the choice of an IN game vote to boot the player. Now.... I fully understand that there are some people out there that have had issues where they were launching the event, and something happened where they had to go AFK for a min or more. Now, those players are, in my eyes, exempt of this idea. But people who go the whole game, sitting there or they get in, start battling, then completely stop. Then when the mission is over, you see them leave. Like in an STF. You see them sit there, wait till it is done, collect their reward, then leave. Or you get someone who you mention to them to not do something, and they say something back, but they do it anyway.

If Perfect World would allow players to vote on booting another player from the team, things would be a lot better.
    C&C of the Federation Outsiders
    edited July 2013
    It's nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be. I've run over 4000 STFs and out of all of them I have only had people AFK 6 times. Sure it's annoying, but this is easily dealt with by filing a GM report on the player

again, what are the gm's supposed to do?
    [12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
    [12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why are people who dont want to deal with AFK still doing pugs, use one of the dedicated channels to get a team together and you wont meet another afk ever.
    edited July 2013
    valoreah wrote: »
    In addition to a participation measurement, I'd add a scaling penalty of some kind. First no participation offense, 1 hour queue ban from public events. Second offense, 8 hour ban etc. This would prevent people from AFKing just for the sake of being a jerk to grief a team.

I like that and totally support something along those lines. Would deter people from doing things such as this in the far future.
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Remember this..AFK'ing is not against this games TOS. Alot of these supposed AFK/Leechers are most likely spending money on this game as well.

Cryptic is not going to institute change that will possibly drive these players away from the game, thus losing money. And the people complaining about the afk'ers are not going to leave because this is the only Star Trek MMO in operation...they will just have to deal with it.

Just form private groups, and play the content with people you know or pre group with..simple solution to avoid your headaches. I have no problems with afk players, it is their computer, their money, their time. Let em do what they want.

Alot of this AFK'ing began shortly after the launch of season7...and i do not blame the people that do it either..it was cryptic that instituted this "rep" system grindfest, and kept the 3 same boring STF's. When you do not add actual new content, like new STF"s , fleet actions, etc on a regular basis, people will get bored of grinding marks and dil and just afk it.

I wish they would have left the borg salvage drops in stf's..it gave people a reason to complete the optionals and to participate. There was almost NO afk going on pre season 7. End of story
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think there is one way of dealing with it that would be pretty simple.

Put things back to the way they used to be.
    Get rid of the leaver penalty, they only punish the honest people anyway.

And add.
    A 3 minute window on Infected Space, a 4 minute window on Khitomer Space, and a 5 minute window on Cure space Elites where the Cooldown timer does not kick over.

There AFKers in the instance? you just leave, re-queue and life goes on.

No more drama, no more complaining, Simple and Easy.
    The more complicated you try to make any punishment system, the less they work.
    You only end up punishing the rest of the group. I have seen it in every game, every time.

Just give the people a clean and easy way to get away from the trouble and life goes on.
    The silver rule of life
    K.I.S.S Keep It Simple Stupid..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
  • kharonsoremankharonsoreman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As I said in the other thread..
    I think there is one way of dealing with it that would be pretty simple.

Put things back to the way they used to be.
    Get rid of the leaver penalty, they only punish the honest people anyway.

And add.
    A 3 minute window on Infected Space, a 4 minute window on Khitomer Space, and a 5 minute window on Cure space Elites where the Cooldown timer does not kick over.

There AFKers in the instance? you just leave, re-queue and life goes on.

No more drama, no more complaining, Simple and Easy.
    The more complicated you try to make any punishment system, the less they work.
    You only end up punishing the rest of the group. I have seen it in every game, every time.

Just give the people a clean and easy way to get away from the trouble and life goes on.
    The silver rule of life
    K.I.S.S Keep It Simple Stupid..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A wolf remains a wolf, even if it has not eaten your sheep.
    edited July 2013
    they should get rid of cool downs all together..
    as it is now you can back to back missions.. who cares if its the same one.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    aarons9 wrote: »
    being AFK is not against the TOS..

so what exactly are these gms going to do?

WHen you report a leecher the report is filed under TOS violation.

So, yeah, violates the TOS that no one ever reads but everyone agrees to.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You need more DPS.

Agreed. My Romulan can solo everything BUT the Scimitar guards in the Tal SHiar Adapted destroyer with the 3 piece set.

My Fed in the T5 Defiant can do the same.

While I'm not happy about the amount of DPS focus this game has, in order to progress I've adapted.
  • emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Am I the only one who has never come across one of these people? I've been playing for a few months now, and I can't say I've ever had a player who wasn't active.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This thread had "fail" written all over the title :rolleyes:

A Zen store device to "Deal" with AFKers? I am with most people on here; AFKers are annoying but only make up a small percentage of the actual members. It is the nature of the beast, and there are many MANY different ways of dealing with it.

1) Create a private match and join up with known friends. Hell, scheduale a "raid night" where you and your buddies all get together and bash Tholians heads in for 5 hours straight.

2) Use one of the many public channels that are available to make a "pugmade" team of other people who are looking for EXACTLY the same thing you are. 5 people teaming up for the sole purpose of completing a task? What's to loose?

3) Grind your teeth, deal with it. If you have an obvious AFKer, you can jump ship, or just go through the motions and finish the missions as planned. You still get marks at the end, regardless of what the other guy is doing. IT might not be alot, but some is better than none. And then, hope the next group is better and makes up for the last one.

No need to bribe the devs with money in order to "deal with this problem" It's just like the war on drugs, the more you fight it, the smarter and more difficult to weed out they get.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    WHen you report a leecher the report is filed under TOS violation.

So, yeah, violates the TOS that no one ever reads but everyone agrees to.

Sorry, you are wrong. Read the TOS.

Just because you think that it violates the TOS, does not mean that it does. Please provide a link to the TOS and highlight the area that states your claims.

If leeching were against the TOS, people would be banned on a constant basis. They are not, they will not be. This company is not in the business of getting rid of players who spend money :)

Have a good day!
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Indeed... Hardly run into afkers... my biggest problem is TRIBBLE noobs. Wish we don't have a penalty timer for leaving... 'cause we can just leave and let arses and afkers play with each other.

I would leave if there were too many arses 'cause staying meant wasting more time than the timer.
  • marshalericdavidmarshalericdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Indeed... Hardly run into afkers... my biggest problem is TRIBBLE noobs. Wish we don't have a penalty timer for leaving... 'cause we can just leave and let arses and afkers play with each other.

I would leave if there were too many arses 'cause staying meant wasting more time than the timer.

Noobs are to be expected every game has people that qualify as a noob and they are not a TRIBBLE but your sounding like one with this post. Only leechers qualify and you as a TRIBBLE.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Why do you need some new different system put in place when you already have a system available and usable to you now to deal with the AFKers?

You have a friends list for a reason, please learn to use this tool so that you can run the STFs with only the players that you want to run it with. It really is that simple to deal with AFKers. :)
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    this is a bit of a stretch but here

"21. Acknowledgements

You hereby acknowledge and agree that:
    (a) WHEN USING THE SERVICES, THE SOFTWARE MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) AND/OR CPU PROCESSES FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH THE SOFTWARE. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY "ADD-ON" OR "MOD," THAT IN PWE'S SOLE DETERMINATION: (i) ENABLES OR FACILITATES CHEATING OF ANY TYPE; (ii) ALLOWS USERS TO MODIFY OR HACK THE SOFTWARE INTERFACE, ENVIRONMENT, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IN ANY WAY NOT EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY PWE; OR (iii) INTERCEPTS, "MINES," OR OTHERWISE COLLECTS INFORMATION FROM OR THROUGH THE SOFTWARE. IN THE EVENT THAT THE SOFTWARE DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, IT MAY COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO PWE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM WAS DETECTED; AND/OR AND PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMNET MAY EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS SECTION OF THE AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.
    (b) PWE MAY MONITOR OR RECORD YOUR CHAT SESSIONS AND OTHER ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION TRANSMITTED OR RECEIVED THROUGH THE GAME OR THE SERVICE AND YOU CONSENT TO SUCH MONITORING OR RECORDING."

Going afk isn't against the rules, but using third party programs is against the rules.
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I'm sorry but if you are obsessing over AFK players to the point that you are willing to pay to have them dealt with then perhaps it's time for you to find a fleet to team with or maybe just step away from the game for a bit and try to get things in perspective.

AFK players can be a problem true but it's not the end of the world and if you are running into problems with AFK players a lot then it may be time to rethink your stance on Pugging.

Good luck with that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All I run are pugs and I've never run into AFK'ers. A few idiots, but no AFK'ers.

I did go AFK once when I was a noob by accident because I thought I had left the queue but when I got back to my computer after walking around a bit I had evidently entered the STF. I left the match post-haste once I realized what had happened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No. I play with fleetmates and members of a good chat channel. Consequently I've never had a problem. You could easily do the same, and avoid any problems.
    edited July 2013
    Something like team up with fleetmates or friends is said a lot.

Not everyone is in a fleet.

Even if in a fleet their might not be enough online for private games at the time.

Not everyone has real life friends to team with.

Not everyone want to spend time adding strangers and trying to get a private game going especially if they have a short amount of free time to play. People just want to play as much as possible in their limited time.

Even in private games their is always the chance of someone leeching it only reduces the odds so it does not solve anything.

They really do need to fix leeching and anyone who says otherwise I am thinking either they leech themselves sometimes or have people they know who leeches sometimes and don't want leeching to no longer give them rewards. Their is absolutely no good reason that they should not address the leeching problems.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Why should I pay to remove lawbreakers?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Something like team up with fleetmates or friends is said a lot.

Not everyone is in a fleet.

Even if in a fleet their might not be enough online for private games at the time.

Not everyone has real life friends to team with.

Not everyone want to spend time adding strangers and trying to get a private game going especially if they have a short amount of free time to play. People just want to play as much as possible in their limited time.

Even in private games their is always the chance of someone leeching it only reduces the odds so it does not solve anything.

They really do need to fix leeching and anyone who says otherwise I am thinking either they leech themselves sometimes or have people they know who leeches sometimes and don't want leeching to no longer give them rewards. Their is absolutely no good reason that they should not address the leeching problems.
    Unless a GM starts monitoring every single STF run (and I'm sure there are thousands a day) it's virtually impossible to monitor for afkers that are leeching. I've run pugs (it's the primary way I do STF's) and only have met up with maybe 3 AFKers since STF's came into existence. They could put in vote kick systems (which would be abused A LOT), damage based rewards (which would suck) and so on but in the end it'll only hurt players not help them. There are quite a few STF channels that run them almost constantly. While yes, you can possibly have a leecher jump in it's more rare. I have like 2 real life friends I play STO with and yet I never have problems getting a team together to run an STF :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Unless a GM starts monitoring every single STF run (and I'm sure there are thousands a day) it's virtually impossible to monitor for afkers that are leeching. I've run pugs (it's the primary way I do STF's) and only have met up with maybe 3 AFKers since STF's came into existence. They could put in vote kick systems (which would be abused A LOT), damage based rewards (which would suck) and so on but in the end it'll only hurt players not help them. There are quite a few STF channels that run them almost constantly. While yes, you can possibly have a leecher jump in it's more rare. I have like 2 real life friends I play STO with and yet I never have problems getting a team together to run an STF :)

Have a flag system. If someone is leeching someone else can flag them as a leecher the game then auto monitors them and if they don't do anything to help complete the mission after a period of time they are booted.

It still takes time to get those private games going and people with shorter amount of time to play don't want to spend their limited time trying to get a private game going.
This discussion has been closed.