What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO going downhill?

Comments

• Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Enough is enough, The devs are doing what they are instructed to do, Cryptic is taking its direction from PWE who are now the people in charge. If you don't like go elsewhere.
    to recap, stop with all the Anti Dev, Anti Cryptic, Anti PWE talk, if you don't like it go elsewhere

excuse me? 'if you don't like it leave' is not only ignorant its offensive. you're making excuses for PWE and telling people to shut up and leave. you have no right to be saying things like that to anyone
    The game is F2P - that means they need to generate revenue by whatever means possible, if that is changing the lockboxes to Doff packs then that's fine with most of us as we use doffs in game

'whatever means possible' is not acceptable. there are right ways and wrong ways. what you said could mean alot of things. and who is 'most of us' exactly?
    6) About the lockboxes in general. If you don't like them, DISPOSE OF THEM. I really don't get all the grouching about them. The damned things are purely voluntary, and nothing in them is in any way necessary to participate fully in the game. So if they bother you that much, then leave'em on the field... Don't pick them up, don't roll for them in STFs, just ignore the fact that they exist and get on with your life

ignoring things doesn't make them go away. if you don't get it you haven't been paying attention.
    5) About the lockbox lottery ships, let's consider them for a bit. The Jem-bug, the Galor, the Marauder, and the Freighter. None of these ships are in ANY way end all be all, must have or the game's unwinnable, types of ships. Not one. They're unique, they're expensive, but not one is in any way the "One ship to rule them all". No one ever said they have to satisfy anyone's sense of entitlement to have every toy in the box.

it has nothing to do with making the game more 'winnable' that has nothing to do with it. you just showed you don't have any idea what the problems with the system are. and the second you bring up 'entitlement' you cease to have any kind of argument
    3) The F2P system does not, IN ANY WAY, restrict silver players from ANY mission content in the game, period

give it time
    And I think the lockboxes will be phased out eventually, Doff-pack bonuses seem to be the way of the future

yes. and i'll bet good money that the reason for this sudden changeover to doff packs has something to do with their lawyers telling them to stop with the lockboxes
    it's amazing how many chicken littles come out when things change. it has ever been the way. anyway I am out of here. pointless discussion is pointless.

so you admit you have no argument then. you just came here to insult people
  • Options
    sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Before PWE took over, STO was ostensibly in cryo stasis because Atari had Cryptic running two MMOs (and developing Neverwinter) with a skeleton crew of about 20 people. All because the dinosaurs at Atari don't understand the concept of post-release support and content development.

So no, we're not going downhill. Just about anything barring outright cancellation should be considered uphill compared to that situation.

This. Is your glass half full, or half full of hate?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    lol your post lazarus is one big troll. all you did was nay say what everyone else posted you didnt agree with. that isnt an argument (cue Monty Python) anyway I made my points here and in other similar threads. getting tired also of negativity and choosing when to pick my battles. The battle over forums and cpoints is not one that will be won. The lockboxes could be if people didnt buy them, but the thing is - some people love to gamble.

If they wish to spend money on the game they can spend it as they choose. I don't like lockboxes and simply discard them but I do not grudge others who want to try their hand. If they thought about it the money they spend opening boxes would probably be enough to buy the ship outright on the exchange without all the messing about.

The move to other methods of prize boxes is simply adopting something that has been going on in PWI for a couple of years now. And the lockboxes here are not unique to PWE, Sony's promethium box in DCUO is the same but even more expensive to open. This is the market MMOs are moving into, succesful F2P involves monetising content without restricting access to it - and for all their percieved faults, this is something PWE have had some success at.
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    stoshonuff wrote: »
    Is it me or has STO started to go seriously downhill since PWE took over? Between all the stuipid gimmics to get cash from people, like the rediculous lock boxes with utterly frustrating uselessness, the "if you buy this pack 1000 times you MIGHT get something cool" cstore packs, the 8000 refinment limit, and not the utter faiure of their servers. The game has drastically dropped in quality since the PWE takeover. Granted we may not have STO if it were not for PWE, but I'm starting to think STO would have been better off in the hands of a more capable studio or a more compitant Dev team.

PWE you FAIL

Well Said!!
    Perhaps if they cared about us, respected us, and cared about Star Trek, they wouldn't be having these problems.

but they don't.
    They just want our money.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    obiwanjabroniobiwanjabroni Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    STO won't last 6 more months, just like it wouldn't last 6 more months after it was launched with a bunch of bugs, after they stopped development on PvP, after Stahl left, after it was sold to PWE, and after it was decided that they weren't going to focus exclusively on developing KDF fully.

Clearly, after the Holiday Gift fiasco ruined the game and the introduction of lockboxes shut down the servers, some piddly changes to the forums marks the beginning of the end.
    sig_universal.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well I heard it here first on the forums. Guess I better start selling my stuff.

I knew this would happen as soon as PWE took over ST: Enterprise, it got cancelled and now we have no more Trek on TV.

Now its STO. Khaaaaaaaaaaan!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • Options
    thadekthadek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What happened to Star Trek Online? I mean sure it had bugs but those were nothing compared to Perfect World taking over. I mean from a financial point of view, it may have been good for Cryptic but as a result, any ongoing projects in Cryptic are going to tank because of the greed of Perfect World. Take a look around, Perfect World is killing Star Trek Online whether they mean it or not. Perfect World is trying to take every cent they possibly can from the players before they quietly shut down the servers one night...

Personally, I give the game two to three more years max with how Perfect World is operating it now.

So, anyone care to try to figure out when everything started going downhill, how it can be fixed, or how much longer Star Trek Online will even exist?
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think the worst thing to happen to STO was Atari being put in charge of publishing. None of the MMO's Atari "published" that i''ve played ever got the attention to do well. dungeons and dragons Online was Atari published.... was totally neglected until they went F2P then their revenues skyrocketed.

STO instead gets sold off.
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    thadek wrote: »
    Perfect World is trying to take every cent they possibly can from the players before they quietly shut down the servers one night...

How do people keep making the jump from "they're trying to make money with a free game" to "they're about to shut down the servers any second now?"
  • Options
    cardassianpastacardassianpasta Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think the game could've used another year of production before launch. After it was launched, the staff was just playing catch up and couldn't put out the content the community demanded. When people level in a few days, it's hard to keep people busy. I would've liked to see the game delay its launch a year or two. But I wouldn't blame cryptic, as Atari was probably forcing them into a deadline.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    At this point I say "Let it die".

PWE is going to milk us dry and then kick us all to the curb.

Star trek won't die. Another game will appear. Perhaps the next crew will do better.

• Options
    srspellssrspells Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    personally I dont see this as a end were getting fleet bases, were getting new races, and story content, however something does bug me. why does it take over 8 hrs to review myy debit card.
    -Spells
    || Open Door Policy ||
    | Dues Ex Mechina |
    Fleet Leader
  • Options
    atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I have almost started looking forward to these gloom and doom threads as a feature of the forums. These types of threads have been going since launch, or some before launch.

Despite all these types of threads the game is progressing. Considering where we started at launch the game has massively improved over the years. Looking forward to the future they are adding Fleet starbases, a new sector, more ships, new badguys... Ya looks like we're doomed to me.
  • Options
    utioutio Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    oridjerraa wrote: »
    But what was old(TOS)is new again. Trek has lived for over 40 years and you think that somehow you can assume what the majority is? I heard Trek had had its day before and that was just a few years after it had been canceled. Trek will always have a special appeal to anyone who looks at the stars and wonders what is out there. By that reckoning there were Trekkies making cave paintings and learning how to make fire. You can't niche the unresistable.

You missed my point by a wide margin, but I expected that to happen. It's part of the problem.
  • Options
    atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Two gloom and doom threads in one day... SCORE!

Ya I don't think the game is going downhill or they are planning on killing the servers any time soon. Even the OP is giving it two more years...
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    some prophecies are self fulfilling - if you feel death of the game is inevitable then best to get out now before you invest anymore pain, time or energy in something that is doomed to fail.

Me, I will stick around for the end (whenever it may come). I may take a break now and then but everyone needs a holiday. I will also provide marshmallows for the eventual inferno at the end of days
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I give it two years as well.

It will be like watching a loved one die of cancer.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yes. Trek will be around long after PWE has milked us dry and kicked us to the curb. At this point I just want to get it overwith, so the next crew can have a shot at making a real Star trek game for Star trek fans.

• Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    woghd wrote: »
    At this point I say "Let it die".

PWE is going to milk us dry and then kick us all to the curb.

Star trek won't die. Another game will appear. Perhaps the next crew will do better.

you wont see an STO 2 if STO shuts down unless it generates CBS a lot of money before going down.

After getting burned by Perpetual and if the game were to close soon after going F2P that would mean there likely wouldn't be another ST Online game.

and by Soon after F2P that would be a year or so... considering there are mmo's that been going on a few years now after F2P and they are still going strong.
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Hyperbole of the year!
    Relax.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    It's a thin line between crazy and broke.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    tenkari wrote: »
    I think the worst thing to happen to STO was Atari being put in charge of publishing. None of the MMO's Atari "published" that i''ve played ever got the attention to do well. dungeons and dragons Online was Atari published.... was totally neglected until they went F2P then their revenues skyrocketed.

STO instead gets sold off.

Keep in mind Turbine the developer of the game is a subsidiary of Warner Bros. They don't need Atari's money.

Again Atari was only a co-publisher of the game in the first place..

Edit: I'm talking about DDO..
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Now that's a foundry mission.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I think that i'm pretty much done with making free content for PWE...

Hyperbole of the year!

LOL Thanx!!

Sad tho, because it's so true.
    :frown:

• Options
    edited June 2012
    You mean it'll be an android app called Angry Trekkers because that'll be all the money they'll bother to put into it if a subscription and a f2p model can't support an an MMO.

Here's an interesting alternative I'm going to try. I'm going to play STO. I hear that has Star Trek elements in it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sad tho, because it's so true.
    :frown:

I'd hate to be your loved one.

"Your son is dying of cancer. He has, at best, two years to live."

"Well, that sucks. I sunk a lot of cash into him, too. Damn. HONEY! We'd better start trying for a new kid to raise, this one's sunk."
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    New forums, same gloom.

STO isn't any more or less sunk when some other yahoo posted basically the same thread a year and a half ago. I know the zen thing and the crappy new forums has your hope running on low, but seriously guys. Get a grip.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I'd hate to be your loved one.

"Your son is dying of cancer. He has, at best, two years to live."

"Well, that sucks. I sunk a lot of cash into him, too. Damn. HONEY! We'd better start trying for a new kid to raise, this one's sunk."

:eek: +rep

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    You mean it'll be an android app called Angry Trekkers because that'll be all the money they'll bother to put into it if a subscription and a f2p model can't support an an MMO.

Oh it can support a Star trek MMO just fine, in fact it can be a runaway success...all anyone has to do is let the star trek fans have thier dose of Star Trek. It's been proven time and time again since the sixties.

What you CAN'T do is take an Asian MMO and slap a Star Trek sticker on it. The fans will leave, and the game will die. The only reason this game is successful is because of the fans. The gamer crowd is transient at best. The Star trek Fans will stick around, and they are loaded with money.

Well, unless you drive them away of course.

PWE apparently does not understand this.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh it can support a Star trek MMO just fine, in fact it can be a runaway success...all anyone has to do is let the star trek fans have thier dose of Star Trek. It's been proven time and time again since the sixties.

What you CAN'T do is take an Asian MMO and slap a Star Trek sticker on it. The fans will leave, and the game will die. The only reason this game is successful is because of the fans. The gamer crowd is transient at best. The Star trek Fans will stick around, and they are loaded with money.

Well, unless you drive them away of course.

PWE apparently does not understand this.

Uh isn't it the other way around? It's a Western MMO that's built from the ground up with Star Trek in it's DNA and now has some Asian MMO monetization influence on it to y'know, get it some money since its F2P?

Hypothetical hedge fund manager Star Trek fans are free to create their own game development company since they are loaded with money. Please send me a beta key invite when rockin' triple A super new Star Trek MMO done right is completed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.