test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

700 Day Android

Comments

• direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    still waiting for the rest of our Android options...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited July 2012
    Oh, I guess a lot of the devs will be at the Trek Con in Las Vegas. Someone going there should ask them about our missing Android options.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited July 2012
    The August Ask Cryptic thread is up for question submission!

Enter your questions now about these missing features (even if they've already been asked). Let them know how many of us are still waiting for our Android options!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The August Ask Cryptic thread is up for question submission!

Enter your questions now about these missing features (even if they've already been asked). Let them know how many of us are still waiting for our Android options!

Came here to mention this. :) Or should that be ":("
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I added the question to my list. Fingers crossed for an answer!
  • genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I agree with your sentiment but must admit I was fortunate enough that I got my LTS at launch when it was cheaper and the game lasted long enough that the cost of monthly subs far exceeed what I paid for my LTS so I got my monies worth.

I did as well, but three LTSes still ran $750, add a CE and two regular box purchases, and every ship in the cstore (I will not gamble for a ship with their lockboxes), every costume, and many other purchases and I'm well over $1,000.00 paid to Cryptic. All of these purchases were voluntary choices on my part, but I do believe that this level of loyalty to a company should entitle me to at least an eta on my 700 day vet reward when it's over 7 months late.
  • harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ask cryptic DONE
    edited August 2012

It's frustrating to see this thread go intentionally ignored for so long and yet many Cryptic employees find the time to comment in a totally useless fluff thread like "Happy 2.5 year anniversary".

My suggestion: We wait a few weeks and launch a "Happy 2 and 3/5ths Anniversary, and by the way where's our android?" thread.

Also, Cryptic, you probably haven't even noticed but since you've begun ignoring my concerns (ie, this thread) I've stopped spending my money in this game. There might just be a connection there, just saying.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Useless fluff threads are easy to post in since it doesn't require any critical information. Besides an answer like androids are really low on our priority list so we haven't done anything to them, would cause quite a few posters on this thread to start raging.
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    genericii wrote: »
    My suggestion: We wait a few weeks and launch a "Happy 2 and 3/5ths Anniversary, and by the way where's our android?" thread.
    Why wait? If others can't wait six months for a proper anniversary we can just make a "happy 2.5 years and 1 day anniversary" thread. :P
    edited August 2012
    In lieu of the conspicuously absent 700-day non-reward tactical and science variant androids, I present to everyone a pink Data with heterochromia. And due to the ridiculous amount of time this issue has been unresolved (~231 days as of now), I would like to see these visual options (most particularly the eyes) made available for said non-rewards should they ever see the light of day. Which I doubt. But then, a bright pink android with one orange and one yellow eye might just be colourful enough to see from Tyria, so I remain hopeful.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The pink one stares into my soul and haunts my nightmares... @_@

I'm at 746 days. Devs, why can't I have a Tactical Android Boff? :(
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ...870 Days... (for me) ...and counting...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    920 for me. Let's see it positively. They don't want to make other rewards after the ship for 1000 so they have the necessary time for the androids then.:D
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry to be so late to the party, but what are you guys talking about? a pet, doff, boff, a new PC race?
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    aeonjean wrote: »
    Sorry to be so late to the party, but what are you guys talking about? a pet, doff, boff, a new PC race?

700 day reward is an Android BOff, NBC have put PC Androids as a no go.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited August 2012

http://www.stowiki.org/Android

The Android is Bridge Officer that is unlocked as a 700 Day Veteran. You are supposed to be able to pick up one with a choice of either Gender and any Class. However, there has only been one released (male Engineer).

There is always some problem why they other types can't be released. I think that the current reason for it is because the Devs do not know how to set the Science types to wear a blue shirt and the Tacticals to wear a red shirt or something like that.

Anyway, that is what this topic is about.
    edited August 2012
    oops. mispost
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited August 2012

The issue is a long sordid one. It involves the 700-day Veteran Reward Android Bridge Officer. It currently only comes only in a male engineering form and is supposed to be available in engineering, science, tactical, male and female varieties.

Here's a "quick" recap (had to do some tweaking to get the "view post" buttons next to the quote names to work right, and everything from the old forums is posted under "Archived User", but the links work now so you can get some conversational context):

GenEricII wrote: »

I think this list is worth repeating. I also think it's worth repeating that we were told on December 15th 2011 that all 12 variants were completed. Now, in April of 2012 we're not even worthy of an estimate. Somebody, ANYBODY there, please talk to the people that CAN give dates and find some information out for us. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

In many jobs I've been in a position where I was an underling with no say over dates and times. That didn't mean that when I was talking to a customer I said "don't know, so sorry.", I talked to the people I needed to and got an answer. That's all I'm asking for here.

November 29, 2011:
    mhighison wrote: »
    Visually, you will be able to chose gender, and you will get the full range of options that Aliens currently have, so you can have them look like whatever sort of Android you want. (Plus, we are working on a couple more bits to add on)

December 15, 2011:
    jheinig wrote: »
    There are certain tech hurdles to giving out reclaimable unique BOFFs like the android or the liberated Borg, which is why we have to offer it in one gender and career right now. (The veteran isn't reclaimable, you only ever get one, so it wasn't an issue there.) I'm hoping that we can get the code team to address this at some point so that I could make all the different versions available.
    Because it's a vet reward, you are allowed to reclaim the BOFF if you discard it. This means that it's unlocked in the store simply by virtue of being a 700-day veteran. No token is used, because it's not a one-time-only deal.
    No, go ahead and grab one now. If we gain the ability to give different versions in the future, then you should be able to discard your current one and get a different one instead.
    Here is the problem:

* Get 700 day vet reward
    * Claim male engineering android
    * Then go claim female science android, since that is a different critter
    * Then go claim male tactical android, since that is a different critter.

. . . and so on.

I'm working to get tech implemented that will let us put them all in a "unique group" that will allow you to have only one of them at a time, but put all twelve (male/female, eng/sci/tac, Fed/KE) into the game.

Incidentally, all the variants are made, we just need to work out the tech limitation.
    In brief:
    1. When we say "we need tech" that means that we need a programmer to implement some code. I can't speak to the difficulty of doing so because I don't work with the low-level code. I know that restricting items is tricky (because it involves server interlocks). I am hoping to get one of our programmers working on this Soon (TM) but probably not Very Soon (TM).

2. The Creative trait affects any power that comes from a kit and does healing or damage. Any power that you can get as a kit power on your captain counts for this purpose when it is on a BOFF. Thus, Vascular Regenerator (to pick a simple example) gets a heal bonus from the Creative trait, and thus if your captain uses it from a kit, the bonus applies; if a science BOFF uses it as a BOFF power, the bonus applies.

December 22, 2011:
    I have received the necessary tech update and I hope to deploy new versions of the androids after I return from the holidays!

January 29, 2012
    I need an update from the costume art team, but they will need some time scheduled for that. (Right now, all androids would wind up in engineering uniforms, which is not what we want, obviously.)
    I did go through and implement the new exclusion flags in the androids, but I also found a tech issue that will need sorting. Hopefully I can get a programmer to take a look. Wouldn't want to push them out in a broken state, after all.
    (Yes, I'm at the office on a Sunday doing this for you guys.)
    Bugs happen. Better that we find them and fix them during development, rather than pushing an update that would put all of the androids into the BOFF store but then make them unable to join anyone's crew!

January 30, 2012:
    No, but there's a bug that makes them un-commissionable when the new tech is added. Obviously we don't want that to happen, so I'm going to make sure that the bug is squashed before updating. (Yes, the bug would even affect the existing android BOFFs - rather unfortunate.)

March 19, 2012
    I have the necessary tech, and I'll hook it up as soon as the costumes are ready.
    Production has to find room in the schedule for the costume team to make them. The android costume hook-ups are a bit tricky because of the aliengen parts. Beyond that, outside my area of expertise.
    The plan is that you will be able to dismiss your existing android and choose a different one, but you will only be able to have one android BOFF at a time.

March 20, 2012
    Having the data made (the bridge officer definitions) is not the same as having all of the costumes made. I can only speak to the data side.

March 23, 2012:
    No, it wil go to Qa for testing when the costumes are completed.
    Dammit, Jim, I'm a designer, not a producer.

(In other words, I don't make schedules, and I don't get to dictate to the costume artists.)

Then:

April 9, 2012
    They're already done. I know that a personal attack on the order of flatly calling me a liar would probably be a forum no-no, but really, there's not much more that I can do 'til I get the costumes.

June 2012 Ask Cryptic:
    Q: (GT01) What happened to the extra Android BOFF options? We were informed that we'd not only get male and female Androids to choose from, but that we'd also have Tactical and Science branch officers to choose from too.

Dstahl: This question required some investigation to determine what happened. Turns out that at the time there was an issue that prevented those additions from happening. That issue appears to be resolved in Season 6 and so now it boils down to having one of the developers revisit this and put in the options.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the history, I'm a 900 day vet and had no idea I could even claim an android. :(

Though granted I did take a few months off for a while.
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the history, I'm a 900 day vet and had no idea I could even claim an android. :(

Though granted I did take a few months off for a while.

It is at a Spacedock, at the Officer Recruiter (whatever they are called). The android comes with common Abilities, but it has some pretty good Ground Traits.
    edited August 2012
    jslyn wrote: »
    It is at a Spacedock, at the Officer Recruiter (whatever they are called). The android comes with common Abilities, but it has some pretty good Ground Traits.

Unfortunately it's still only the male engineering android. I'm still waiting for the female option and the other profession variants.
    edited August 2012
    genericii wrote: »

Unfortunately it's still only the male engineering android. I'm still waiting for the female option and the other profession variants.

Indeed. I have been awaiting the Female Science type. It would fit very much with the backstory I wrote in my character's profile back on the opening day of the game.
    When I first saw they would be releasing one, I was like: YEA! :eek:
    Now I'm all: yea? :(
    edited August 2012
    I hope we don't get the same thoroughly-vague-to-the-point-of-questioning-why-they-even-bothered-including-it-besides-trying-to-appease-all-of-us-waiting-answer to the question of 'what's happened to the android variants' again. :rolleyes: If it gets answered, I expect it'll be that again though, or 'investigation ongoing'. :(

Why can't Cryptic just be honest and say they've given up on the variants/can't be bothered/have moved on?
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 795 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wish we could at least get a "sorry, but we don't have any intention of ever finishing this" out of them, but that seems even less likely than actually getting the rest of the android options.
  • harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    700 Day Android.........:mad:
    edited August 2012
    It appears that the 700-day Android issue has been dodged in the August Ask Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sadly it has. Sadly we also have had no response for anyone as to its status. I do believe they are wanting it to just go away.

I plan on asking the same question for each Ask Cryptic from here on out until we get a definative answer. If everyone that was concerned about this issue did the same perhaps it would drum up some more support.
    edited August 2012
    I too was disappointed (but not surprised) to see that the topic of our promised 700-day android variants was flat-out ignored once again.

Also slightly offended that Cryptic has the gall to say "In fact, we added more lifetime subscriptions during last month?s sale than we expected." despite knowing that they're effectively lying to those new subbers with regards to vet rewards they can look forward to. :mad:
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 795 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We already have a bunch of people asking in every Ask Cryptic about the 700 Day Android, but what about on social networking? Cryptic has a page for Star Trek Online, do they not? I doubt it, but it might make them a little bit more likely to respond if we add to the number of places where we ask about the issue. That and if we get people over there asking what all the fuss is about, they may have no choice but to answer. Not like it would be any different from what we got up until they shut up about the issue altogether.

Anyone who asks or speaks about the issue has to remember that under all circumstances that they remain civil, despite how angering this is. Not like I'm the only one that knows this. This was probably all thought of back on page 2.