What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Boom! Even more cool things for tanking utility!

Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: This class feature now reflects 5% of incoming damage per rank (up from 1%). This effect is still only active while blocking. It does now apply Iron Guard correctly.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Damage from Knight's Valor can be properly reflected by Guarded Assault again. These reflections can also apply Iron Guard.

What this means is that if you slot Guarded Assault, turn on KV and hold that block up you will start spreading that capstone feat to everyone who hits you! Share the love!

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

And what's the start damage of Guarded Assault now? 5% or like before 1%?
  • Options
    mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    guys guarded assault only works when blocking so that means we only reflect the damage we are not blocking so its not really a change as 15% of 20% is 3% and that is only when we are debuffed to hit the hard cap of block which is 80% dr. its a sneak nerf dun dun dun unless you can elaborate for us crush as this is a nerf from doing some quick math.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    And what's the start damage of Guarded Assault now? 5% or like before 1%?

nope now its 5 % per rank says crush so now were looking at 15% reflected
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    mfgamesys wrote: »
    guys guarded assault only works when blocking so that means we only reflect the damage we are not blocking so its not really a change as 15% of 20% is 3% and that is only when we are debuffed to hit the hard cap of block which is 80% dr. its a sneak nerf dun dun dun unless you can elaborate for us crush as this is a nerf from doing some quick math.

No it isn't :P It looks at damage before your resistance is applied (because it works while guarding). Therefore it is now 5x more effective than it was before.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No it isn't :P It looks at damage before your resistance is applied (because it works while guarding). Therefore it is now 5x more effective than it was before.

BOOM! Thanks Crush.

Oh man I am so excited!!!!!!

reflect damage PLUS weapon enchants off the reflect PLUS KV - I can see the synergies piling up!!!!
  • Options
    mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    BOOM! Thanks Crush.

Oh man I am so excited!!!!!!

reflect damage PLUS weapon enchants off the reflect PLUS KV - I can see the synergies piling up!!!!

Yea I will say this again that kv works globally is really op and should be made into an aoe around the gf instead as it will just be silly in pvp.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    lol omg im so happy now between the block fix and guarded assault actually being good, im speechless i cant wait to dig in and dtsart testing thank you so much chris im glad you caught the guarded assault thing about it not proccing protector capstone never went conqueror or tactician and now i cant wait. it actually is worth slotting after these changes *insert foot in mouth*

also it procs weapon enchants thank god something was way off when it wasnt proccing plague thanks for the fix
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    :D

i give this 10 million thumbs up my build will finally be complete tanking is gonna be the sweet in mod 4

*clap *clap
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Okay when will this changes going on PTS? Want to test it! But I really need ACT+Script for it!
  • Options
    stagger38stagger38 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Holy @#$%. A protector feat GF using KV, Into the Fray, and Guarded Assault seems absolutely insane now. Add Iron Warrior and Shield Talent for more stamina and it seems you could just sit and watch the world explode around you.

I really can't wait to test this...

AND the huge buffs to all the offensive powers. Wouldn't be surprised if conq GF is just as amazing.

Wow! It's more than I could ever imagine.
  • Options
    ychiakiychiaki Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I just want to congratulate devs for paying attention to a class that really needed it. The way things are going we'll have happy gf's playing a good roll in a pve party :) And it's gonna be a hard time killing them in pvp, which is nice cause the more competitive a class is, the funnier the fight gets!
    DC Divine Oracle Faithful
    HR Stormwarden Trapper / Stormwarden Combat
    GWF Swordmaster Destroyer
    CW Master of Flame Thaumaturge / Spellstorm Oppressor
    TR Master Infiltrator Executioner
    SW Soulbinder Fury
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, I have to say well done to Cryptic for addressing most core issues of the class.
    With these last changes I think that the Guardian Fighters are overall fixed.
    There are still some useless powers and feats (both heroic and paragon) lying around, but I suppose we'll just have to avoid them.
    I would have loved to have some more baseline DR, but I suppose that with the recent buffs, one can't ask for too much.

I also think that eventually Into the Fray will be nerfed or might not even make it live with the proposed incarnation, but we'll see.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: This class feature now reflects 5% of incoming damage per rank (up from 1%). This effect is still only active while blocking. It does now apply Iron Guard correctly.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Damage from Knight's Valor can be properly reflected by Guarded Assault again. These reflections can also apply Iron Guard.

What this means is that if you slot Guarded Assault, turn on KV and hold that block up you will start spreading that capstone feat to everyone who hits you! Share the love!

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

Gosh darn, Crush. You just breathed new life unto our dwindling GF population. :( I love these changes. Would be awesome if Guarded Assault could proc weapon enchants as well, and if it had a specific paragon feat that interacted directly with its effects.

Overall, however, I personally think the Guardian Fighter is moving towards the direction it was supposed to have headed to all along; as tanks, not as beat sticks.

Iron Maidens rejoice. :o
  • Options
    stagger38stagger38 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can you clarify this?

Let's say a GF has 50% DR. It blocks a 20k damage attack. Block reduces it to 4k damage, and DR brings it down to 2k (or the other way, DR reduces to 10k, and block to 2k).

At which point does the reflected damage occur? 20k, 10k, 4k, or 2k?

How I understand your post, it sounds like it is reflected at the start, 20k. That's 3k damage reflected, and 2k received.

...nice.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Gosh darn, Crush. You just breathed new life unto our dwindling GF population. :( I love these changes. Would be awesome if Guarded Assault could proc weapon enchants as well, and if it had a specific paragon feat that interacted directly with its effects.

Overall, however, I personally think the Guardian Fighter is moving towards the direction it was supposed to have headed to all along; as tanks, not as beat sticks.

Iron Maidens rejoice. :o

Your in luck - I asked this and he said it WILL proc weapon enchants! Read the thread just a few pages back, around where the changes were made!!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    stagger38 wrote: »
    Can you clarify this?

Let's say a GF has 50% DR. It blocks a 20k damage attack. Block reduces it to 4k damage, and DR brings it down to 2k (or the other way, DR reduces to 10k, and block to 2k).

At which point does the reflected damage occur? 20k, 10k, 4k, or 2k?

How I understand your post, it sounds like it is reflected at the start, 20k. That's 3k damage reflected, and 2k received.

...nice.

thats indeed what he implied reflected damage goes into effect before your DR is taken into consideration howerever the enemy you hit with it if say you were in pvp, their DR would kick in and then effect the reflected damage.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    just so everyones on the same page things that can be tested upcoming BOOM! also you can start theory crafting with these updates cant wait for these changes to go live in mod 4 Kudos to the dev team for taking all our feedback into consideration the Guardian Fighters were in a slump these should bring them out of it. THANK YOU!

updates as we have been told are listed below.
    General
    • Threat: Distance based threat has been removed. Threat is now purely calculated based on Damage and Healing. Threat bonuses still calculate as normal.
    Stats
    • Strength: Now provides Stamina Regen rather than Guard Meter.
    • Constitution: Each point of Constitution increases max HP by 4% (up from 2%).
    Powers
    • Block: Now consumes stamina while active. Reduces incoming damage by 80% while active.
    • Block: Now activates more quickly and has a .25 second cooldown after being released (down from .5 seconds)
    • Mark: Now causes you to deal 200% (up from 100%) additional threat on Marked targets.
    • Mark: Marked targets now grant combat advantage to the Guardian's Allies.
    • Mark: Mark will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.
    • Enhanced Mark: Now grants 75% bonus threat per rank (up from 33%).
    • Knight's Valor: Now transfer's 200% (up from 50%) of the threat allies deal to you.
    • Enforced Threat: Can now hit up to 20 (up from 8) nearby targets.
    • Tide of Iron: Now restores Stamina instead of Guard Meter.
    • Shield Talent: Now causes Block to drain Stamina more slowly
    • Enforced Threat: Now restores Stamina instead of Guard Meter.
    • Shield Slam: Now restores Stamina instead of Guard Meter.
    • Into the Fray: Now restores Stamina instead of Guard Meter.
    • Iron Warrior: Now increases Stamina Regeneration by 50% while active rather than reducing damage Guard meter takes.
    • Iron Warrior: Base threat bonus increased to 200% (up from 150%).
    • Iron Warrior: This power now properly increases threat generation.
    • Iron Vanguard: Threatening Rush: This power now has 3 charges which refresh every 9 seconds.
    • Iron Vanguard: Frontline Surge: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
    Feats
    • Armor of Bahamut: *REWORK* When Stamina is below 30%, you take 2/4/6/8/10% less damage from all sources.
    • Shieldmaster: Guard now drains Stamina 2/4/6/8/10% more slowly.
    • Reckless Attacker: Now grants its bonus based on remaining Stamina rather than Guard Meter.
    Item Sets
    • Wilds Knight Set Bonus: Now grants Stamina rather than Guard Meter.
    • PVP Set Bonus: Now grants Stamina rather than Guard Meter.
    Guardian Fighter: Threatening Rush: Threatening Rush is now usable At Will again, without charges or a cooldown. Great Weapon Fighters still use the charge based system.
    Guardian Fighter: Block will now grant CC Immunity while active.
    Guardian Fighter: Weaponmaster's Strike: This power now deals ~48% more damage.
    Guardian Fighter: Flourish: This power now deals ~55% more damage and stuns for 3 seconds (2 seconds on players).
    Guardian Fighter: Block: Block can now interrupt all powers and should feel much more responsive.

Mark: Targets who are Marked have -20% damage resistance against strikes from the Guardian Fighter. Targets who are marked still have -8% damage resistance against the Guardian Fighter's allies.

Feats: Conqueror: Reckless Attacker: *Rework* When struck in combat you gain Reckless Attacker. Reckless Attacker increases your damage by 5% and Critical chance by 2%. Reckless Attacker lasts 10 seconds and stacks up to 5 times.

Finally, as to the other two capstone feats. We will be making some buffs to those as well to better reinforce the roles of the particular trees they are members of.

Protector: Iron Guard: Now stacks 4 times, reducing enemy damage by 5% per stack (Maximum reduction of 20%, up from 10%).
    Tactician: Martial Mastery: This feat now generates AP for allies within 50' any time you take damage. You no longer have to not be blocking for this effect to work.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: This power no longer has a maximum duration. Once it is toggled on it must be manually toggled off. While in combat it will generate AP only while in combat and will generate every 10 seconds while in combat.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Base cooldown reduced to 10 seconds (down from 12).
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Ranking the power up no longer increases the duration of Knight's Valor. Additional ranks in the power reduce the damage you take from intercepted damage. Allies still transfer 50% damage regardless of rank.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Challenge: This power should no longer be cancelled accidentally when casting powers rapidly.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Challenge: This power can now be toggled off if the Guardian Figther presses the button again. You must wait 1 second after activating the power to do this.
    Guardian Fighter: Crushing Surge: Damage and Healing from this power have been increased by roughly 66%.
    Guardian Fighter:
    Guardian Fighter: Griffon's Wrath: Now stuns targets for 1.5 seconds (up from .75).
    Guardian Fighter: Griffon's Wrath: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Base duration increased to 8 seconds (up from 6 seconds).
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Rank up bonus increased to +2 seconds (up from +1 second).
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Base damage increased by ~20%.
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Bonus damage is now dealt to targets below 40% HP (up from 25%).
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Into the Fray now also increases the damage of affected players by 50% of the Guardian Fighter's base Damage Resistance.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Ranking this power up now also grants +25% of your DR as damage bonus.
    Guardian Fighter: Frontline Surge: Now correctly benefits from Pin Down and Reinforced Surge in PVP.
    Guardian Fighter: Block: Block should no longer randomly appear broken when fighting.
    I'm excited to report we have finally fixed Block internally so that it will correctly resist 80% of incoming damage! As an added bonus it will now report in the combat log too for those of you who want to see how much HP your shield is actually saving.
    As far as reflecting working right I belive I fixed SoS and Guarded Assault to now properly reflect at the owners of those effects :)

And it totally should apply your Protector Capstone. Ill fix that now.

It will probably start doing that too. So...y'know, whee!(about guarded assault proccing weapon enchants)
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm scared about fighting GFs now, they look like they could be monsters XD
    but I'm glad they are finally getting some really nice changes, the people playing them deserve it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yo Crush, what about Enduring Warrior? Are there any plans on buffing that as well? Enduring Warrior should be buffed to 5/7.5/10%. Because a buffed version of that in conjunction with a DC would allow for some serious face tanking in PvE while rocking Knight's Valor. That would come in handy since our shields only block 80% damage.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Yo Crush, what about Enduring Warrior? Are there any plans on buffing that as well? Enduring Warrior should be buffed to 5/7.5/10%. Because a buffed version of that in conjunction with a DC would allow for some serious face tanking in PvE while rocking Knight's Valor. That would come in handy since our shields only block 80% damage.

80% then after that it goes into your DR/Deflect/Tenacity they said they fixed it so it should be up for testing soon
  • Options
    daalydaaly Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    just so everyones on the same page things that can be tested upcoming BOOM! also you can start theory crafting with these updates cant wait for these changes to go live in mod 4 Kudos to the dev team for taking all our feedback into consideration the Guardian Fighters were in a slump these should bring them out of it. THANK YOU!

updates as we have been told are listed below.

Just going to say in the immortal words of my hero on all the changes so far....Giggity.

P.S. anyone starting some theorycraft on potential new spec's?
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Again... Its not a game breaking issue or something thats a real priority, but please can we have the original Out-of-Combat Running animation back? Currently the female GF model has the female DC/CW Out-of-Combat Running animation. I want the old GF/GWF animation back... :(
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Back from testing a little and that Aggravating Strike nerf to AP is substantial, but justified Still able to build APs rather fast.

Still not that fond of a Protector, but Guarded Assault now contributes significantly to you damage output (bugged?) and you are able to perma-block.

Guarded Assault does not seem to reflect the correct amount of damage at all times. ACT showed to blocked incoming hits at 8665 and 8371 base and GA redirected 6952 and 6716 back to the target. That's 80%.
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    loboguild: Guarded Assault is affected by Into the Fray, so the reflected damage will be magnified by Into the Fray.
  • Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    loboguild wrote: »
    Guarded Assault does not seem to reflect the correct amount of damage at all times. ACT showed to blocked incoming hits at 8665 and 8371 base and GA redirected 6952 and 6716 back to the target. That's 80%.

Yeah, I just got back from testing that, and it was kind of hilarious. Guarded Assault + Fighter's Recovery = Healing about four times as much damage as you're taking while doing severe damage to your opponent
  • Options
    herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Block: Does not seem to reduce Black Ice damage.
    Same happens with Steel Defense (on Live as well).
    Not sure if intended.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New Block also doesn't absorb piercing damage, shocking execution, whirlwind of blades, assailing force etc as I mentioned some 30 odd pages ago.

Basically it seems to no longer apply to non-mitigatable damage such as the above (and Black Ice). That damage also isn't reflected by Guarded Assault, Supremacy of Steel etc iirc
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm speechless, because of how good all these changes, combined together are. 45% crit ftw... I'm even able to keep my old spec, just that it now does what i initially wanted it to do x)

• Options
    harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    New Block also doesn't absorb piercing damage, shocking execution, whirlwind of blades, assailing force etc as I mentioned some 30 odd pages ago.

Basically it seems to no longer apply to non-mitigatable damage such as the above (and Black Ice). That damage also isn't reflected by Guarded Assault, Supremacy of Steel etc iirc
    Yeah, I've found that GF is essentially being made useless against other players because of the shocking number of armor ignoring abilities and the fact that they just pound through your shield, but in PvE, you do massively well.
  • Options
    ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Yeah, I've found that GF is essentially being made useless against other players because of the shocking number of armor ignoring abilities and the fact that they just pound through your shield, but in PvE, you do massively well.
    I was just at the preview server and someone called the stamina-guard "butter guard", which is quite the fitting name. I miss the metallic loud sound when attacks hit the shield and big attacks could even push the GF a bit back. Those things transported the idea of a GF clashing intensely with an opponent really well!. They were a major part of making the GF class beeing fun to me.

But of course all that has to be sacrifed for the stamina guard. The way Reckless Attacker worked and other pillars of the GF had to be changed to attune to the "holy grail" of the stamina guard. It is sad that simply buffing the old guard was never given a real chance.

*cough* page #45 post #449