Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Here's a list of stuff that bypasses control immunities on Live - they probably bypass it in the new block system that is based on basic CC immunity rather than block

Hellthorn Golem Explode
    Totemist Voodoo Disable
    Plaguechanged Maw ranged attack
    Plague Reaver charge attack
    Karrundax' fireball attack
    Kalos Tam AoE stun/daze
    Tal'gath the Watcher's red circle AoE (the throwback one)
    All of Rhazzad's attacks
    Ethraniev Marrowslake sword attack
    Chartilifax' circle AoE breath attack
    Obsidian Golem's Self-Destruct
    Knight Commander's Prone attack
    Remorhaz burrow attack
    GF's Terrifying Impact
    TR's Dazing Strike (momentarily interrupts target)
    GF's Lunging Strike (feated, momentarily interrupts target)
    CW's Icy Rays bypass all CC immunities - only unstoppable is immune.
    CW's Ray of Frost freeze through Block.

panderus stated last year that certain attacks were supposed to ignore Control Immunity to some extent (Dragon Wing Buffet)

--> 'Big'/hard/Epic Boss-Attack push a little bit back - afaik that's the only 'bypass Control Immunity' i read from panderus. Not that they totally ignore your Immunity. To make sure, that you aren't total safe.

Edit: Okay I haven't forgot: The dwarves archer and the bigger dwarves in the second IWD map interrupt the blocking with one attack. Can one confirm this???
  • Options
    lococatt91lococatt91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Overall everything seems to be coming along great.

I used into the fray and anvil on giants in icewind dale. That was the first time I had some fun with the GF in a long time. The GF seems like a viable tank, so good job.

The only issue I have ran into is my shield breaking very quickly. The shield meter drops to about 2/3 full and then it starts flashing red. If i release it and use an encounter, then raise the shield again, its back to full. Obviously some kind of bug almost like it still is trying to incorporate some of the old shield mechanics.

Only other thing, how about making the non damage encounters castable from shield stance. Like into the fray ect.
    If I had 20 mobs i was trying to taunt i certainly wouldnt lower my shield.
  • Options
    ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I experimented with some powers while doing a run at the preview server (epic Lair of Lostmauth). I nearly never used knight's valor and guarded assault at the live server, so I am not too familiar with them, but still these numbers seem to be ... well, take a look yourself:

guardedassault.jpg

If this is working as intended, then it is remarkable that we can now deal more than 350k damage with one hit from a passive class feat.

If it is not working as intended I have to say that I unfortunately can't provide an explanation for these unusual numbers. But what I do know is that the overhaul of the guard mechanism and the additional changes that had to be done to attune the rest of our class to the stamina-guard, are no simple tweaks. They are fundamental changes to our class, and there are serious problems that come along with them. What we see here might be just one example of the unintended consequences.

Mr Gentlemancrush, there is still time, please don't do this overhaul to our class. Just improve it, the old GF mechanics where fine and fun, they only need a buff.
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    FEEDBACK
    When were are guarding it should show that we are blocking like it does on live. when we get it and we have our guard up it should show "block". when we are guarding can you make it so it actually feels like we are guarding like it does on live.
  • Options
    ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ctf4void wrote: »
    I experimented with some powers while doing a run at the preview server (epic Lair of Lostmauth). I nearly never used knight's valor and guarded assault at the live server, so I am not too familiar with them, but still these numbers seem to be ... well, take a look yourself:

guardedassault.jpg

If this is working as intended, then it is remarkable that we can now deal more than 350k damage with one hit from a passive class feat.

If it is not working as intended I have to say that I unfortunately can't provide an explanation for these unusual numbers. But what I do know is that the overhaul of the guard mechanism and the additional changes that had to be done to attune the rest of our class to the stamina-guard, are no simple tweaks. They are fundamental changes to our class, and there are serious problems that come along with them. What we see here might be just one example of the unintended consequences.

Mr Gentlemancrush, there is still time, please don't do this overhaul to our class. Just improve it, the old GF mechanics where fine and fun, they only need a buff.
    I forgot to mention a side issue: Now just imagine to have fighter's recovery active as well. I experienced that, allthough not in the screenshots I posted here. It was a bit ... extraordinary to get easily more than 150k hp from fighter's recovery at once just by sitting their and having the shield raised. One more thing: I didn't test yet how this would turn out with knight's challenge active as well...
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To the above Guarded Assault:

I think there is something wrong with the calculations... First proc: Scorpion deals (base) 29k to you. You mitigate 97% of the hit btw. But then Guarded turns around an deals a BASE 20k back? This number SHOULD be 15% of 29k = 4350 damage. But then to make matters WORSE it seems its benefitting from ALL the + damage feats and debuffs on the target which gives it a BOOST from the already WAY too high 20k -> 45k. My guess is this is not only debuffs but possible buffs like ITF+KC as well.

I dont know how you got the Golem to hit you for 204k... But you did take 17k from that (probably through block outside AS). I will address SOME of this issue below... I think a major issue is Knights Challenge is probably buffing damage your taking (by double) then also buffing it BACK at the attacker for double + other boosts.

TLDR: Guarded should NOT benefit from any damage buffs/debuffs/offensive stats etc, it should merely and ONLY reflect a % of damage received back at the attacker.

I actually came here to post my thoughts on the changes after testing them. I want to preface this before flame comes, that GF is going to be my class in mod 4 and all my testing efforts have been on this character.

Into the Fray: I absolutely LOVE this power, however I am concerned that this is probably a little too strong. Most GFs have atleast 40%+ DR, meaning this will be atleast 40% damage bonus. I honestly believe this should be capped at 80% of our DR. For more tanky GFs this would still be a 40%+ boost, for non-tanky GFs this would still be in the 30%s. I dont think it needs MUCH of a tone down, just a small one. BUT! Seriously good job on this as it feels AMAZING!

Guarded Assault As posted above, should NOT receive any damage buffs on the outgoing damage. Merely a 15% of the incoming damage number. It seems like it is going through "normal" channels of damage meaning the outgoing can be buffed and its probably not supposed to. (Why I say this over just nerfing the % is for pvp purposes I dont think 15% is OP, IF its done right).

Also, This is NOT proccing weapon enchants, which IMO it should.

Knights Challenge: Honestly, as much as I love the damage we can get, in light of our class actually being useful again in both PVE and PVP, I think this is one power that honestly needs a rework. Guardian Fighters can get TOO much single target damage with this, and I think its going to cause alot of issues (as seen above in PVE) and in PVP when a GF comes up to a proned target (from maybe a CW) does KC and hits (or crits) them for 15-20k+. Heck with ITF and KC we can get AT WILL crits for 12k+ in pvp.

Again, as much as I love this... I like the direction things are going and this is just causing issues and cheese in pvp.

Here is what I propose:
    The GOAL of the ability is to force the enemy or incentive the enemy to attack the GF and make him pay if he doesnt...
    - Knights Valor: protects the party and splits damage 50%.
    - Into the Fray gives (my version) around a 40% damage bonus to all the party.

- So split the difference in a unique way for Knights Challenge:
    Knight' s Challenge: Locks your enemy in combat "yada yada" Basically, its used LIKE "Knights Valor" in that it has no downtime UNLESS the GF toggles it off, then it starts the CD. It provides a 25% damage boost to the enemy your attacking for your attacks ONLY, and makes the opponent deal 25% LESS damage to any other target (ZERO damage bonus to you). This basically splits the benefits of KC and ITF, but only for 1 target, and I think alligns the power with its intentions. So this would mean YOU deal 25% more to that attacker, 25% less to any other opponent. Your Enemy deals 25% less to other teammates but 100% damage to you.
    (A GF would toggle this off to switch targets and put it on CD. Basically though its locking BOTH YOU and the target into combat).

This ALL reduces the ITF+KC damage boosts that allow crazy at will hits and crits (and reflects seen above). But KC now has more uptime, less "downside" for the GF and still provides group incentive.

Base: you deal 15% more damage to them, you and they deal 15% less to other opponants.
    Rank 2: you deal 20% more damage to the target, you and they deal 20% less to others.
    Rank 3: you deal 25% more damage to the target, you and they deal 25% less to others.

I think this would have good utility in both PVP and PVE and remove alot of the "cheese" factor.
    GFs can NOW take a damage boost focus (no defensive focus) with ITF.
    GFs can take a damage boost only for them, with defensive utility on ONE target (Knights Challenge)
    Or they can go full defensive with Knights Valor.

I think these three powers offer each unique options without being TOO powerful.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Bug:

Sometimes anvil of doom doesn't hit but it still goes on cooldown, I notice this when jump hitting someone or fighting a halfling.

Some control powers are still effecting us with our shield up like the npc wizards in icewind.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twochlorobutanaltwochlorobutanal Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Protector
    Supremacy of Steel did not reflect the damage transferred by new Knight's Valor.

The current (live) version of Supremacy of Steel does reflect damage (and throw golden spikes/swords) at enemies who hit my allies while using Knight's Valor. However, on the Preview server, as of earlier today, this was not working.

(The new Guarded Assault did reflect damage taken with Knight's Valor, which is really cool.)
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I) If Guarded Assault is gonna activate our Weapon Enchantments... I can't even imagine that, and if it's going to benefit from the buffs/debuffs it need a nerf, I mean, if we consider Weapon Enchantments and Buffs/Debuffs I can only imagine a 2/4/6% Damage Reflected (from a 1/2/3%).

II) Crushing Surge seems very strong... while the Health still suck, maybe it could be reworked like this:
    1- Damage/Health like before.
    2- Increase Speed a 30% the.
    3- Increase the Health at 3rd strike by 100%~125%.

Then we could get a +30% Average Damage boost (from the Speed) which seems a decent amount, while we could get the 3rd hit more often and a not so bad amount of HP.

III) Knight's Valor feels OK, but the +10% Resistance to the intercepted Damage per Ranck could be a little strong, maybe do it a +5% per Rank to give it a little more Risk, and IDK if it's much to ask, but maybe you could modify the icon while it's activated xD.

The changes should be aimed to buff the GF class, but I feel like if I were cheating in the Preview xD.
  • Options
    aobviouserroraobviouserror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Bug: SwordMaster

Supremacy of Steel's second activation still doesn't proc steel defense
    It used to do that some time ago on live till it broke
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I'm seeing a lot of combat advantage damage just from blocking with Guarded Assault, seems to be linked to marked targets. I note the opening post mentions "Marked targets now grant combat advantage to the Guardian's Allies." Is there a known issue with this applying to the GF player as well? I'm not up to date with all 96 pages.
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I'm seeing a lot of combat advantage damage just from blocking with Guarded Assault, seems to be linked to marked targets. I note the opening post mentions "Marked targets now grant combat advantage to the Guardian's Allies." Is there a known issue with this applying to the GF player as well? I'm not up to date with all 96 pages.

I'm not sure if this was for PVP or PVE. But - in PVP there are some people are seeming to be REALLY good at taking us out. I am not sure if it is a skill thing, or they are just using moves that slice through our block. Guarded Assault seems to work really well some fights, and do literally nothing other fights.

For instance, Fighting a Hunter Ranger, Guarded Assault actually heals them. Briartwine does too, so does SOS

Actually you can use all three at the same time, and it still heals them
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    freshour wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was for PVP or PVE. But - in PVP there are some people are seeming to be REALLY good at taking us out. I am not sure if it is a skill thing, or they are just using moves that slice through our block. Guarded Assault seems to work really well some fights, and do literally nothing other fights.

For instance, Fighting a Hunter Ranger, Guarded Assault actually heals them. Briartwine does too, so does SOS

Actually you can use all three at the same time, and it still heals them

Yes this is why
    Thank you for the continued feedback everyone! Combat Rangers continue to underperform where we want them to be so we are buffing two of their key damage dealing feats so that they can make up a far more substantive portion of your damage.

Hunter Ranger: Combat: Piercing Blade: Now deals an additional 8/16/24/32/40% damage as Piercing Damage (up from 4/8/12/16/20%)
    Hunter Ranger: Combat: Blade Hurricane: Your Flurry empowered at wills now strike 2 additional times at 65% bonus damage (up from 5% bonus damage).
    Hunter Ranger: Combat: Blade Hurricane: Flurry strikes can now properly activate Piercing Blade.

We want combat to feel like a high risk damage dealer who is exposed to danger but deals strong burst, which is often facilitated by strong use of the capstone feat Blade Hurricane.

These changes should hit late this week or early next week, barring anything urgent :)

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

"40% damage as Piercing Damage" - This damage bypasses all DR and cannot be deflected. So they are dealing ALOT of damage through our block, that we then spit back at 15% at them, which then gets mitigated by their DR and since they can deflect it, they get hit for very little and proc their wilds medicine.

I dont know why they keep giving people skills that bypass defenses. Honestly if you think about it, this doesnt effect PVE at all since its super easy to get 24% ARP and top out, but it affects PVP a ton and makes things really hard to balance...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    I) If Guarded Assault is gonna activate our Weapon Enchantments... I can't even imagine that, and if it's going to benefit from the buffs/debuffs it need a nerf, I mean, if we consider Weapon Enchantments and Buffs/Debuffs I can only imagine a 2/4/6% Damage Reflected (from a 1/2/3%).

II) Crushing Surge seems very strong... while the Health still suck, maybe it could be reworked like this:
    1- Damage/Health like before.
    2- Increase Speed a 30% the.
    3- Increase the Health at 3rd strike by 100%~125%.

Then we could get a +30% Average Damage boost (from the Speed) which seems a decent amount, while we could get the 3rd hit more often and a not so bad amount of HP.

III) Knight's Valor feels OK, but the +10% Resistance to the intercepted Damage per Ranck could be a little strong, maybe do it a +5% per Rank to give it a little more Risk, and IDK if it's much to ask, but maybe you could modify the icon while it's activated xD.

The changes should be aimed to buff the GF class, but I feel like if I were cheating in the Preview xD.

Guarded should proc weapon enchants, just not benefit from damage buffs/debuffs. This is what is making it amazing in PVE but even at 15% its still kinda meh in PVP...

Crushing seems fine right now, its not supposed to be a massive heal and it hits pretty hard too. In all truth, I find it funny our crushing surge with a 671 weapon damage hits like 3-4x harder than the basic at will with a 1000 weapon... Its just funny.

I would like to see Knights Valor give an actual +20% DR boost to the GF when its active, making it a real true tanking ability. The idea would be to synergize this with Into the Fray which could give a higher damage bonus while Knights Valor is active.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Yes this is why

"40% damage as Piercing Damage" - This damage bypasses all DR and cannot be deflected. So they are dealing ALOT of damage through our block, that we then spit back at 15% at them, which then gets mitigated by their DR and since they can deflect it, they get hit for very little and proc their wilds medicine.

I dont know why they keep giving people skills that bypass defenses. Honestly if you think about it, this doesnt effect PVE at all since its super easy to get 24% ARP and top out, but it affects PVP a ton and makes things really hard to balance...

So how hard would it be to add a few lines of code that basically reflect unmitigatable damage back to people when we take unmitigatable damage? That's fine that they crush us through our shield, but why not add a little risk for such a rewarding move? Seems pretty fair to me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    freshour wrote: »
    So how hard would it be to add a few lines of code that basically reflect unmitigatable damage back to people when we take unmitigatable damage? That's fine that they crush us through our shield, but why not add a little risk for such a rewarding move? Seems pretty fair to me.

Im really cautious about how this affects PVE, since on the last page reflect damage was causing an issue with damage buffs/debuffs.

Also

BUG REPORT:
    I am 99% sure that "ACTION SURGE" is not providing the bonus AP while blocking.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MORE FFEDBACK:

Along with my suggested re-work of Knights Challenge(last page). I think we ALL agree that the capstone needs a re-work as well in how you GAIN stacks.

I would really like to see 5% Crit added to "Tactical Superiority" and then the capstone Reckless Attacker changed to: 3 STACKS of 10% damage and 2% Crit that are applied WHEN THE GF DEALS DAMAGE.

This gives the GFs more of a tradeoff between their damage class feature "Combat Superiority" and others like Guarded Assault/Steely Defense/Trample ETC. Also for a T4 feat, +5% damage is really low.

3 Stacks the GF applies makes him more of a CONQUEROR.

I think a real easy rework as well COULD be Protector Capstone applying stacks when RECEIVING damage - so this would still work with Knights Valor and wouldnt require you to attack someone for the stacks to build.

All of this - Conq stacks applied when DEALING damage, Protector stacks applied when RECEIVING damage. Currently they seem backwards to me that Conqs take damage for stacks and Prots DEAL damage for stacks?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    MORE FFEDBACK:

Along with my suggested re-work of Knights Challenge(last page). I think we ALL agree that the capstone needs a re-work as well in how you GAIN stacks.

I would really like to see 5% Crit added to "Tactical Superiority" and then the capstone Reckless Attacker changed to: 3 STACKS of 10% damage and 2% Crit that are applied WHEN THE GF DEALS DAMAGE.

This gives the GFs more of a tradeoff between their damage class feature "Combat Superiority" and others like Guarded Assault/Steely Defense/Trample ETC. Also for a T4 feat, +5% damage is really low.

3 Stacks the GF applies makes him more of a CONQUEROR.

I think a real easy rework as well COULD be Protector Capstone applying stacks when RECEIVING damage - so this would still work with Knights Valor and wouldnt require you to attack someone for the stacks to build.

All of this - Conq stacks applied when DEALING damage, Protector stacks applied when RECEIVING damage. Currently they seem backwards to me that Conqs take damage for stacks and Prots DEAL damage for stacks?

Agreed... - This would be fantastical
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I know someone mentioned the Into the Fray casting time. What do you guys think about it being around the same time as Fighter's Recovery? Not instant, but still an upgrade from what it is now?
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we are overall pretty happy with the new place the Guardian Fighter is at and are just making a few changes to nudge a handful of things that could do horrible things in some situations. Guarded Assault is a prime example here.

Guardian Fighter: Supremacy of Steel: Now triggers on Knight's Valor Damage.
    Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: The damage dealt by Guarded Assault no longer benefits from damage bonuses.
    Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: The damage dealt by Guarded Assault can no longer exceed 15% of your Max HP.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Now grants 25% of your your Damage Resist as bonus damage at base (down from 50%). It still grants +25% per rank.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Aw...

Not unexpected and in truth needed.

But that looks a lot more synergetic with a GF over a cleric. Yay for encouraging players to stack DR on a GF.

Quick question, is it base DR or will benefits such as Astral Shield also be applied to the damage bonus calculations?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we are overall pretty happy with the new place the Guardian Fighter is at and are just making a few changes to nudge a handful of things that could do horrible things in some situations. Guarded Assault is a prime example here.

Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: The damage dealt by Guarded Assault no longer benefits from damage bonuses.
    Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: The damage dealt by Guarded Assault can no longer exceed 15% of your Max HP.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Now grants 25% of your your Damage Resist as bonus damage at base (down from 50%). It still grants +25% per rank.

"Guardian Fighter: Guarded Assault: The damage dealt by Guarded Assault can no longer exceed 15% of your Max HP." Clever way to fix the PVE issue. Nice Job!

Id still like to see Knights Challenge get some sort of re-work. My personal opinion is its causing too much damage in PVP.

Also Reckless stacks really need to be re-done so we apply them, sometimes its rather frustrating if you dont get attacked and you lose alot of damage... Without ways to "aggro" or "taunt" opponents in PVP, it can be annoying not having your capstone up - which is one of the big complaints with it.
  • Options
    l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    GC

Sorry i'm not getting why the change to Guarded Assault ?

You finally make the skill usable for the First time since launch and now nerf/reduce it

May I ask why?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    GC

You finally make the skill usable for the First time since launch and now nerf/reduce it

May I ask why?

Look at the previous page (or this link http://postimg.org/image/fqqdoecxn/) where players were able to REFLECT back a TON of damage.

In all honesty, this wont really nerf the skill at all. It just means that any hit you take over your HP (35k-45k) for most, is the MOST you can reflect back.

How many times do you get hit for 40k? Probably not THAT often.

For Crush:
    I would be better to word that "for any single hit". Otherwise it may look to some that it just stops working once youve dealt back X amount of damage...
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    GC

May I ask why?

This change is just to prevent outlying cases where you could take a massive amount of damage and survive it but reflect an inappropriately large amount of damage. Now any hit that exceeds your max HP (at rank 3) will be reflected like it is a hit that is worth your max HP.
  • Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014

So for ITF is it:

R1-25%
    R2-50%
    R3-75%
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In all honesty, Into the Fray would be extremely useful but not overpowered if it was 15+15+15.

That would still grant 45% of DR (which generally is somewhere between 40-60% at level 60) + 5% at 100% from Tactician feat
  • Options
    aiulianaiulian Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    BUG: Chest Ingury - reduces the HP by a moderate amount

2w3cnl1.jpg

fxeyv7.jpg

I don't consider 7k HP as a moderate amount...
  • Options
    l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @ GC/Ayroux Thanks for the clarification

@ GC Is there any plans to renew/Change Iron Warrior if i May ask ?

Think the Skill could be one of the best there is if it was enhanced

1: Stops Block from Breaking for 4-6 seconds
    2: Adds DR to 80% Max and caps incoming damage at X per Hit

Just something to give the IRON part to the Skill The threat/HP/etc isnt the O/S Skill i thought it would be
  • Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We have only had a few days of testing Fray, and already it has been reduced. Let's do some testing before saying its OP...