What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, I wanted to drop in and share some changes and bug fixes we are making to several Guardian Fighter powers to make them more flexible and usable.

Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: This power no longer has a maximum duration. Once it is toggled on it must be manually toggled off. While in combat it will generate AP only while in combat and will generate every 10 seconds while in combat.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Base cooldown reduced to 10 seconds (down from 12).
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Ranking the power up no longer increases the duration of Knight's Valor. Additional ranks in the power reduce the damage you take from intercepted damage. Allies still transfer 50% damage regardless of rank.

Guardian Fighter: Knight's Challenge: This power should no longer be cancelled accidentally when casting powers rapidly.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Challenge: This power can now be toggled off if the Guardian Figther presses the button again. You must wait 1 second after activating the power to do this.
    Guardian Fighter: Crushing Surge: Damage and Healing from this power have been increased by roughly 66%.

I am also hoping the fix to Block will make it in this week (it requires some changes to the underlying code).

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

THANK YOU, SIR.
  • Options
    twochlorobutanaltwochlorobutanal Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like the KV changes a lot, as a player of a reflect-style GF.

Are there any plans to fix the current problems with KV applying a GF's own debuffs to him or herself when redirecting damage?
  • Options
    iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    all these changes are pretty good keep them coming

with this new change to Knights Valor & Enforced Threat especially knights valor haveing a bigger uptime all the more reason to reinforce our DR/Deflect so we can survive all this incoming damage it is definite need now more than ever. i feel it were getting closer to being actual tanks/walking singularities which is awesome but we the class neeed more defence to cope with all this incoming damage.

all in all these changes are a + im excited to get to testing on crushing surge

also i truly hope you guys get the block sorted out before mod 4 drops.
  • Options
    osterdracheosterdrache Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The change to Knights Challenge: no, pls. As mentioned before: it should involve a risk and thats with this alteration not the case.
  • Options
    marko531marko531 Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2014
    I would like to suggest a change to knee breaker since nobody is using it for anything and i think there should not be any none usable encounter powers :S increase the range of knee breaker make it a 1 or 2 sec longer (its Dot, has to be much stronger than other encounters) , and make debuff on it that it drains enemy stamina to 0 and slows enemy while its active. Debuff goes well with a name of the power :) this way i think ppl will rethink about it when going in pvp at least
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited July 2014
    Feedback: Wrathful Warrior/New Block Mechanic/Grit/Take Measure
    Maintaining any kind of temporary HP with the new block mechanic that leaks through damage is next to impossible. Please consider gaining the buff of Wrathful Warrior for a limited amount of time when gaining temporary HP or reworking the way the feat works completely. There also doesn't seem to be any reliable way to get temporary HP consistently to maintain this buff as both Grit and Take Measure have really high internal cooldowns and give too little temporary HP.

Bug: Grit/Crushing Surge
    Crushing surge's heal doesn't seem to trigger Grit.

Battle trample seems quite inferior to other similar feats. Suggestion - instead of dealing bonus damage and threat - make so that Trample the Fallen affects party members as well and build threat based on the bonus damage dealt by your party.

Bug: Mark/Trample the Fallen
    Mark doesn't seem to trigger Trample the Fallen's bonus effects. If it shouldn't then Trample the Fallen could use a better description.

Guarded Assault returns way too little damage. Suggestion - increase the initial damage returned to 5/10/15% and add a feature to a feat to increase the damage returned for additional 3/6/9/12/15% and generate additional threat based on the damage returned.

The traits from the Swordmaster paragon path have really awkward positions on the GF's trait trees. The control feat(Stunning Flourish) is placed in the Conqueror tree which is supposed to be Damage tree, the defensive feat(Grim Promise) is placed in the Tactician Tree which is supposed to be based on control/buff and the offensive feat(Staying Power) is placed in the Protector Tree which is supposed to be the defensive tree. Suggestion - put Staying Power on the Conqueror tree, Grim Response on the Protector tree and Stunning Flourish on the Tactician tree.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    just got out of a pvp match where a GWF had 49% DR and 50.4%deflect lol see the problem here is at it's root it's suppose to be a striker class where as we are suppose to be tanks our DR and Deflect need a huge boost we dont have anywhere near that
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    By the way... I love you, for taking a look at KC, GMC. Thanks.

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: This power no longer has a maximum duration. Once it is toggled on it must be manually toggled off. While in combat it will generate AP only while in combat and will generate every 10 seconds while in combat.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Base cooldown reduced to 10 seconds (down from 12).

Wow...this is awesome!
    My favorite power just got even better!

However I am left kind of baffled why keep it as such a long cooldown?
    Personally I think 5-7 seconds base would be ideal.

The risk should be in the damage received from it (I have been hit for over 300K damage in a single hit from Knight's Valor) so while I can see a reason to encourage people to not use it on demand I think 5-7 seconds as a base cooldown would be more ideal than 10.

Also:
    Please allow Knight's Valor to be toggled while blocking.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, I wanted to drop in and share some changes and bug fixes we are making to several Guardian Fighter powers to make them more flexible and usable.

Guardian Fighter: Knight's Valor: Ranking the power up no longer increases the duration of Knight's Valor. Additional ranks in the power reduce the damage you take from intercepted damage. Allies still transfer 50% damage regardless of rank.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Challenge: This power should no longer be cancelled accidentally when casting powers rapidly.
    Guardian Fighter: Knight's Challenge: This power can now be toggled off if the Guardian Figther presses the button again. You must wait 1 second after activating the power to do this.
    Guardian Fighter: Crushing Surge: Damage and Healing from this power have been increased by roughly 66%.

I am also hoping the fix to Block will make it in this week (it requires some changes to the underlying code).

Team buffs as toggles? Can I buy you a beer? Thank you!

Crushing Surge dealing 66% moar damage? Can I buy you a case of beer? Thank you! I've recently started using this in PVP and it should help us immensely in the final VT fight where single target DPS is king. While I am an Iron Vanguard and will like to stay one, Swordmasters are now going to hit very hard, so they'll be excited.

Couple of questions:

1 - Do Pin Down & Reinforced Surge increase the stun duration of Frontline Surge in PVP?
    2 - Does Frontline Surge trigger Crushing Pin in PVP?

Observation:

My level 34 HR has 14.7% deflection chance and my level 60 GF has 23.2% deflection chance in Profound Preserver PVP gear, which has nearly four times as much stats allocated to deflection. Are you going to consider improving our deflection chance? Maybe increase deflection from Dexterity to 1%, up from 0.5%. Another option could be to add deflection to the Shield Talent passive feat, 3% per point.

EDIT: As someone mentioned above, I think you really need to review our DR and delflection numbers in light of the increased threat we'll be generating and the fact that Knight's Valor now seems awesome to use yet risky at the same time.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Wow...this is awesome!
    My favorite power just got even better!

However I am left kind of baffled why keep it as such a long cooldown?
    Personally I think 5-7 seconds base would be ideal.

The risk should be in the damage received from it (I have been hit for over 300K damage in a single hit from Knight's Valor) so while I can see a reason to encourage people to not use it on demand I think 5-7 seconds as a base cooldown would be more ideal than 10.

Also:
    Please allow Knight's Valor to be toggled while blocking.

The reason the CD is still 10 seconds is that the choice between "Will I die if I keep intercepting" vs. "Can my party survive ok while I don't intercept for 10 seconds" is an interesting one, and if the CD gets too short you lose some of that. Turning it off should feel like a bit of a punishment. Something on the order of "We made a mistake so we have to regroup" rather than "Too much heat, toggle off, top me up. IN WE GO AGAIN!"

Hopefully that makes sense :)

EDIT!

We have more changes coming your way, hopefully this week or early next week!

Guardian Fighter:
    Guardian Fighter: Griffon's Wrath: Now stuns targets for 1.5 seconds (up from .75).
    Guardian Fighter: Griffon's Wrath: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Base duration increased to 8 seconds (up from 6 seconds).
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Rank up bonus increased to +2 seconds (up from +1 second).
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Base damage increased by ~20%.
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Bonus damage is now dealt to targets below 40% HP (up from 25%).
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Into the Fray now also increases the damage of affected players by 50% of the Guardian Fighter's base Damage Resistance.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Ranking this power up now also grants +25% of your DR as damage bonus.
    Guardian Fighter: Frontline Surge: Now correctly benefits from Pin Down and Reinforced Surge in PVP.
    Guardian Fighter: Block: Block should no longer randomly appear broken when fighting.

• Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    WOW

For fray, is that all the time, or just feated? And if all the time, is it multiplicative or additive?

These are the changes we have been waiting for!
  • Options
    orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Into the Fray now also increases the damage of affected players by 50% of the Guardian Fighter's base Damage Resistance.
    Guardian Fighter: Into the Fray: Ranking this power up now also grants +25% of your DR as damage bonus.

WOW that's a huge buff! Should make GF's much more desired in party play.
  • Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    shamgar4 wrote: »
    WOW

For fray, is that all the time, or just feated? And if all the time, is it multiplicative or additive?

All the time and multplicative.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Wow love them changes :D anvil of doom will be even better now

Gf will be wanted for dungeons now since Knights valor, into the frey and enforced threat are all very useful now. The gf is becoming more of a team leader char for dungeons.

And i like the changes to our single dps skills that needed a buff, this will make the gf better in pvp and that's what i was waiting for.

thanks crush :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xjosh19xjosh19 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @gentlemancrush You sir, just made my day and make me the happiest person on PLANET EARTH! =D

I really want to encourage you to keep the good work and thanks a lot for taking into account our feedback! Keep in touch with us as you have been doing since it feels that our effort testing is paying off!

THANKS =D
  • Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maybe this is a noobish question, but what exactly is base DR? Without buffs? So your defense, and AC basically?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You could then in theory deflect the damage which would then reduce it even further.

The full resist behavior if you deflected the sample above would be

100 = 2000 * (1 - .5) * (1 - .8) * (1 - .5)

The last section is assuming 50% deflect severity.
    Ill explain how it should work so it is 100% clear.

Given your example of 2000 incoming damage and 50% DR you would take 1000 while not blocking. Then your block would get involved and multiply THAT post resist number by 20% (resulting in 200 incoming damage, or a grand total 90% resistance). You can also take your current damage resistance * 1.8 to find what your blocking resist SHOULD be. Alternately you could multiply the base damage by .2 (Block grants 80%) and then multiply the remaining value (400 in this case) by your damage resist.

This is what makes a multiplicative bonus so nice. As long as you aren't using an operation that isn't a part of the formula you will generally get the right answer.

So. TL;DR. Damage Resistance while blocking works like this. (FinalDamage) = (Damage) * (1 - DamageResist) * (1 - BlockResist)

In your example that would be 200 = (2000) * (1.5) * (1-.8)

Hopefully that clears it up!

vey very nice changes to some skills howerever will these problems be fixed in the upcoming update they are still very important becuase it does really render shield mute.

BUG
    block
    THIS IS NOT WORKING HOW YOU MENTIONED

• Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

So that means 50% of base DR as bonus damage PLUS 25% of total DR (minus base?) as damage bonus?!

For Knee breaker and Griffon's Wrath, could the range of the powers be increased by 1' as you will miss any moving target at present using them?

Griffon's Wrath (and Ray of Enfeeblement Mastery) also suffer from unintended double casts, where if you press the button once, it will use the power twice

On an unrelated note, Armor Specialization Heroic Feat effect will not appear on character sheet
  • Options
    herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    EDIT!

We have more changes coming your way, hopefully this week or early next week!

Guardian Fighter:
    Guardian Fighter: Griffon's Wrath: Now stuns targets for 1.5 seconds (up from .75).
    Guardian Fighter: Griffon's Wrath: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Base duration increased to 8 seconds (up from 6 seconds).
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Rank up bonus increased to +2 seconds (up from +1 second).
    Guardian Fighter: Knee Breaker: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Base damage increased by ~20%.
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Bonus damage is now dealt to targets below 40% HP (up from 25%).
    Guardian Fighter: Anvil of Doom: Now activates ~15% faster.
    Guardian Fighter: Frontline Surge: Now correctly benefits from Pin Down and Reinforced Surge in PVP.
    Guardian Fighter: Block: Block should no longer randomly appear broken when fighting.

Hole Mole Thank You Very Much!
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »

So that means 50% of base DR as bonus damage PLUS 25% of total DR (minus base?) as damage bonus?!

Its hard to phrase this correctly, but it means that each rank looks like this

R1: 50% of DR becomes bonus
    R2: 75% of DR becomes bonus
    R3: 100% of DR becomes bonus

Base DR means AC + Defense + Personal Passives (feats, boons, etc). Outside influences will not count. No standing in Astral Shield for 80% damage boosts :)
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wow that's like a 50% damage boost for most GFs then?

DC + GF new standard in DD runs.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its hard to phrase this correctly, but it means that each rank looks like this

R1: 50% of DR becomes bonus
    R2: 75% of DR becomes bonus
    R3: 100% of DR becomes bonus

Base DR means AC + Defense + Personal Passives (feats, boons, etc). Outside influences will not count. No standing in Astral Shield for 80% damage boosts :)

So basically, if a GF with 40% DR uses Into the Fray, all party members (including themselves) near them will gain +40% damage?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So basically, if a GF with 40% DR uses Into the Fray, all party members (including themselves) near them will gain +40% damage?

At rank 3 yes. For 8 seconds.
  • Options
    biltzkriegbiltzkrieg Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2014

How will this interact with the feat inspiring leader? If i have 40% DR would this then be 45% dmg to the group for 8 seconds?
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

Wow that's a very good bonus, most gf have near 45-50% so that's a big boost for the team.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lisaxxiilisaxxii Member Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Mother of God...
    Enemy Team
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    crush what about the fix to shield doing what its intended to do
  • Options
    daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm now really waiting for this to get on preview. I can't wait to start testing it.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • Options
    ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well I was wrong. When Crush said that GF were "NOT dps," I thought he was implying that we were tanks. That is not the case. We are now the ultimate support class. I was expecting changes to the defense of GF and when I seen the new changes I was blown away. The idea of being a true support class with the tools to pull it off well was every unexpected. This is just as good of news as actually being a true tank.

We appreciate the changes to GF making them a true support class, with the new changes GF WILL be viable and even wanted in a group.