test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Changes

Comments

• Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    FEEDBACK

Simple math - assume we have 100% deflect so it will take 10 seconds to get 10 stacks. While first stack lasts 15 seconds with tick every 3rd second. So at top you can get full 10 stack only for 5 seconds. Really? And now lets see cap of deflection I was able to reach with AofLF and Pathfinder actions ~ 55% for 5-10 second. It means that you will need to have around 25 seconds to get 10 deflected atacks - how in this case 15 seconds of first one wM will last 25 if it lasts 15 seconds?
    Is my math wrong in someway? All you did - cap it to 5-7. By what I see - there is no way you will reach 10 ever.

This is not how it works.

Each stack ticks entirely independently.

Being at 10 stacks doesn't cause each stack to heal more than having a single stack.

Also, the ICD only activates after you gain a stack, so your math of 25 seconds to reach 10 stacks is incorrect.

It is wildly variant with how dense the incoming attacks are. The more attacks incoming, the more likely you are to reach 10 stacks in 10 seconds, with a chance distribution of hitting it at any given second afterwards.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Being at 10 stacks doesn't cause each stack to heal more than having a single stack.

Also, the ICD only activates after you gain a stack, so your math of 25 seconds to reach 10 stacks is incorrect.

It is wildly variant with how dense the incoming attacks are. The more attacks incoming, the more likely you are to reach 10 stacks in 10 seconds, with a chance distribution of hitting it at any given second afterwards.

Dont forget DoTs or things like BriarTwine or GF's Guarded Assault.

Often times you can have 3-4+ things hitting you each second giving you easily more than enough chances to delf and build stacks.

Honestly I doubt youll even see THAT big a difference, id bet total effectiveness drops less than 15-20% from this.

Any person using Bile/GPF/Dots/GFs reflecting etc will all be proccing this...
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Dont know crush to me white 1 icd seems Just impossible to reach full stacks.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Any love for the Trapper coming? I couldn't care the less about WM...
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Crush, I understand that it works separately. Im saying that part

"Also, the ICD only activates after you gain a stack, so your math of 25 seconds to reach 10 stacks is incorrect."
    May not allow you to get to 10 ever.
    Ok. I was assuming that you have 1 atack per second. It is correct that you can get more then 1 in 1 sec.

but look. Assume you have 50% deflect chance - means that you need 2 or more attacks in 1 second to get it to 1 stack. I assume that after first stack is reached you have 1 sec ICD started. So on 2nd second you again need 2 or more attacks. And so on until you have at least 20 attacks each second to get a full stack of 10. So you will be left with only 10 full stack for 5 seconds? you can not get more since its over 10 stack.
    In that 5 sec you will get only 2 ticks of regen as max = 2% of max health. But price for that is more then 30 attacks taken with 50% deflect change. Also we will see that deflect severity is ~ 50% so you basically will take 75% of damage from 30 attacks.

Im intentionally not using number of health points and so on since it may be different for char. My main idea is that reaching of 10 stack with 1 sec ICD is nearly impossible. It will require a lot of frequent attacks with a lot of small damage in timely manner. In situation where you have a lot of this - it is a combination of ticks - like many cws beams -but in pvp we have healing depression so it will be 2.5% not 5%.

for PVE - you really never have this situation.
    Thanks for clarification in math. But still it is very big and questionable nerf for combat HR that just relay on Healing due to bugged/not working dodge / no cc brakers/ no good encounters.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We looked at rearranging the trees and moving Wilds Medicine around, but it didn't appropriately fit in with the goals of the other two trees so moving it just for the sake of "make combat spend 10 points in a different tree" didn't feel like a good option, and mostly felt like a punishment.

If there was any "rearranging of trees" I'd say the Advanced Stalking feat should be moved into Trapper, swapping places with Slasher's Speed.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I did some basic calculations
    damage= hit damage = 1000 - for easy calc.
    max HP = 30k
    dc = deflection change = 50%
    def = defence = 30%
    ds = deflection severity = 50%

so if we have 2 hits every second we will have = (damage + (ds)*damage)*(1- def) = (1000 + 500)* 0.7 = 1050
    eg 1050 damage each second. assume it will be stable for sake of theory

each 3 second of WM (tick) it will recover (30k *0.05) /5 ticks (15 sec /3 sec) = 1500/5 = + 500

ok. now lets see how it will apply to WM by every second
    1. no WD
    2. 1 sec of 1st WM stack
    3. 2(1st) 1(2nd)
    4.!3! 2 1(3rd) + 500
    5. 4 !3! 2 1 + 500
    6. 5 4 !3! 2 1 + 500
    7. !6! 5 4 !3! 2 1 + 2x500
    8. 7 !6! 5 4 !3! 2 1 + 2x500
    9. 8 7 !6! 5 4 !3! 2 1 + 2x500
    10.!9! 8 7 !6! 5 4 !3! 2 1 + 3x500
    11.10 !9! 8 7 !6! 5 4 !3! 2 1 + 3x500 - full stack
    12.11 10 !9! 8 7 !6! 5 4 !3! 2 + 3x500
    13.!12! 11 10 !9! 8 7 !6! 5 4 !3! + 4x500
    14.13 !12! 11 10 !9! 8 7 !6! 5 4 + 3x500
    15.14 13 !12! 11 10 !9! 8 7 !6! 5 + 3x500
    16.!15! 14 13 !12! 11 10 !9! 8 7 !6! + 4x500

So in total we will have 16 hit per 1050 with 33 ticks of WM over 16 sec for 500 health recover

- 16800 + 16500 = -300 health

But this is for basic idea calc where we have stable damage with 2 or more hits every second - no Crit hit nothing - this is the most ideal situation you can have - where HR will recover as much health as it looses. Real word is harder - CW with over 15k crit in one hit. GWF with 3k + damage on each swing, pve enemies dealing more then 2 atack at once - 5-8k damage.

This outline has 2 week points - small or medium damage by more then 2 sources ~ 1050 a sec is not a lot ~ every second. only in this case you can get max of WM. Now tell me how often you can see this happening?
    PS I used 5% of pve not 2.5% of pvp.
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    Fun little piece of thought, if Wilds Medicine would have been put into Trapper, as T2. Assuming a 'good for the Base Ranger' build, Paragon-Agnostic (Pathfinder can dump the Aspect of the Serpent Feat to cheese it up with Pathfinders Action instead, freeing up 5 points from Trapper, or dumping them in the Paragon Feat that extends the PF-Action Movement Buff, or put them into Archery for more Staminagain during Ranged Stance....):

Feats: Trapper (formerly Nature)
    T1
    Fleet Stance: When you switch stances you move 2/4/6/8/10% faster for several seconds.
    T2
    Wilds Medicine: Deflecting attacks cause the Hunter to be healed for 1/2/3/4/5% of their HP over 15 seconds. This effect can stack.
    T3
    Ancient Roots: Your Weak Grasping Roots now last .5/1/1.5/2/2.5 seconds longer. Your Strong Grasping Roots now last 1/2/3/4/5 seconds longer. This benefit is halved on players.
    T4
    Thorned Roots: Your Strong Grasping Roots are upgraded to Thorned Roots. Thorned Roots deal 50/100/150/200/250% of your Weapon damage over their duration. Half this damage is dealt immediately to control immune targets.
    Serpent's Bite: Your Aspect of the Serpent Class Feature now provides 1/2/3/4/5% more damage per stack. Additionally these stacks also provide .5/1/1.5/2/2.5% Critical chance per stack.
    T5
    Biting Snares: When you apply Grasping Roots or Thorned Roots you gain "Biting Snares". Biting Snares causes your next stance shift to generate 10% of your AP and increase your damage by 15% for 10 seconds. This effect can only be trigged once every 10 seconds.

Then, last 5 Points from Paragon Feats:
    Feats: Combat
    T1
    Bloodletting: While in Melee Stance you gain 1/2/3/4/5% more Life Steal.

Only 1 Lifesteal Feat and whopping 2.5% Deflect missing from Combat, and no piercing damage, but literally 3x the amount of Control (and the revised Biting Snares, using simple math (Numbercrunchers might pump out the exact value) basically counters the 20% CC Resist and 10% CC Resist from Halfling/MoonElf/SunElf).
    Take it as you wish.....
  • Options
    dam182dam182 Member Posts: 40
    edited July 2014
    Suggestion,

I've post this before, but to be clear:

Increase the range bonus from aspect of the falcon, so archers and trappers could have the upper hand before CC is shot back at you. This would give value to roots, for trapper, and fast ranged rotations for Archers.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we are making a small change to Wilds Medicine to tune it down a little when the Ranger is under heavy fire. It was too easy to get 10 stacks very quickly and maintain them, providing a pretty constant uptime. We want that moment when you get the drop in the ranger to still matter so we are slowing down the rate at which you get stacks. We looked at rearranging the trees and moving Wilds Medicine around, but it didn't appropriately fit in with the goals of the other two trees so moving it just for the sake of "make combat spend 10 points in a different tree" didn't feel like a good option, and mostly felt like a punishment. So instead we have opted for the following.

Hunter Ranger: Wilds Medicine: Now has a 1 second ICD.

This will not affect PVE performance all that much during solo play but will have a fairly strong effect on PVP as it will take a minimum of 10 seconds to reach full stacks.

Thank you all for your continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer
    This - is a really bad idea. In 10s the HR will be dead, so no chance of reaching 10 stacks.

Guess I'll be retiring my HR from PvP and just running dailies/campaigns.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hopefully now that WM has been changed they´ll stop whining here and go whining somewhere else.

Back on topic:

BUG: this happened mostly fighting Chartraxis or Merothrax. When I try to use a single target power like Aimed Shot or Split Shot (that locks on a single target) against them I get the message "You must have a target". If I use Rain of Arrows or Thorn Ward on them they work and I see damage figures on the screen, but are still unable to shoot against them with powers that require a target.
    That usually goes on for 10-15 seconds and then everything starts to work normally.

BUG: Rain of Arrows. The same problem is present on live. From time to time when using Rain of Arrows the animation takes long to appear, then it comes up and you can see the arrows coming down but no damage is dealt. I´m pretty sure that the Rain is coming down on a target (it happens with dragons and they are fairly large) but no damage is dealt and Prey doesn´t activate so I guess that Rain is not hitting at all.

BUG: Rain of Arrows. I experienced this mostly fighting Chartraxis and the mobs there. Sometimes the red circle does not appear and I have to guess where the Rain is. The power works fine in all other respects but targeting becomes very difficult.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Hey all, we are making a small change to Wilds Medicine to tune it down a little when the Ranger is under heavy fire. It was too easy to get 10 stacks very quickly and maintain them, providing a pretty constant uptime. We want that moment when you get the drop in the ranger to still matter so we are slowing down the rate at which you get stacks. We looked at rearranging the trees and moving Wilds Medicine around, but it didn't appropriately fit in with the goals of the other two trees so moving it just for the sake of "make combat spend 10 points in a different tree" didn't feel like a good option, and mostly felt like a punishment. So instead we have opted for the following.

This will not affect PVE performance all that much during solo play but will have a fairly strong effect on PVP as it will take a minimum of 10 seconds to reach full stacks.

Ok... Well can we get constricting arrow as stuns back? It's going to be really hard if not impossible to beat CWs now.

Their main move of perma-freezing with ray of frost was mitigated by wilds medicine not having an ICD.

Now they can just perma freeze us and we have no CC to stop them, let alone a CC break to get out of it.

Or you could consider my idea of adding a CC break to maurder's escape/rush.

The only thing keeping us up currently is self-healing. If you play an HR you're constantly CC'ed. Even on live with healing the way it is and with constricting arrow stuns, CWs can be pretty tricky. With less self-healing and no constricting arrow, I don't see us having any chance at all.

Also consider the idea others have mentioned of giving us fewer but longer dodges. Dodge as it is currently depends a lot on luck and just spamming it hoping it will do some good.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    arcticblitzarcticblitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    BUG: Rain of Arrows. The same problem is present on live. From time to time when using Rain of Arrows the animation takes long to appear, then it comes up and you can see the arrows coming down but no damage is dealt. I´m pretty sure that the Rain is coming down on a target (it happens with dragons and they are fairly large) but no damage is dealt and Prey doesn´t activate so I guess that Rain is not hitting at all.

+1

I've been experiencing this as well.
    Blitzy : PVE only Barbarian
    Martin ConDion PVE only Ranger

Guild Founder: -HunterS-
  • Options
    boltages3boltages3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Ranger gets 10 stacks of WM when under heavy fire,so lets nerf it?
    - Is that same heavy fire when you get heavily burst dmg and die? Or its when you get proned,stunned,dazzled for forever...and die?

Oh..no CC,no CC breaker..well yeah,lets just start nerfing last defense too xD cause many GWFs cant go to their own thread (every GWF who says GWF was not the king of NW for long time by mechanics is clearly defending his good scores only)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hr cant take full advantages from the new legendary weapons. Combat Hr take their damages from the secondary weapon which is not gonna be released with legendary status
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Hr cant take full advantages from the new legendary weapons. Combat Hr take their damages from the secondary weapon which is not gonna be released with legendary status

This is quite important. And Trappers will have the same issue whenever in Melee Stance
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could I get some clarification on the increase of GWF/GF stuns to 3 seconds? Is that 3 seconds in pvp or just pve and halved against players?

With the continued nerfing of Wilds Medicine and many other classes are seeing nerfed abilities reverted, I'm not seeing a role for HR's in pvp other than dying a lot. With no CC and very little CC immunity (Fox Shift) I don't see us doing very well in any form of pvp. If Cryptic are sticking to their guns on the new Constricting Arrow, at least also increase the duration of the stun pls or give us some escape in the form of Marauder's ESCAPE by making it break CC or provide immunity or both. Another suggestion to extend the distance and CC immunity of dodge is another one that makes sense. Otherwise we'll be toast come August 14.

I haven't been on the preview shard but currently in live I'm finding it hard enough to survive in pvp as SW Combat even with the broken pvp set bonus. Granted I don't use Constricting but I do feel HR's should be given at least one actual CC (not counting sucky 1 sec roots) in Mod 4. I also don't play any other classes so I could be wrong here, but won't every other class in NW have a CC ability in Mod 4 making us the only striker class without it?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Greetings Crush!!

Thank for clarification on how WD works but it is still a big nerf.

Feedback/Proposal

CW GWF GF got their encounters reworked a lot. HR miss CC and CC breakers, Dodge is unreliable due to bugs with "returning", Mellee HR miss range encounters

- Add CC braker for Marauders or Add a CC immunity for Fox cunning - 3-6 sec on lvl 3 after Fox deflect is triggered -would change a game for HRs! this will benefit not only PvP but also will make it valueble in pve - currently with a lot of atacks you don't really notice use of Fox Cunning.

- Constricting arrow is stand point for devs as what we see -
    So change hindering shot for something useful - this feet is being useless for Archers and Combats - no real effect as archer part, no good damage or any useful effect as combat part. For Trappers - Constructive works better

- Melee encounters does not have any areal damage. Suggestion - Clear the ground - add some love to it. Bleed damage/ Slowing enemies/ chaining of attacks like on 3rd charge on enemy - it will blow and do some damage. Plenty of options really without really hard work. It will make at will useful. It will keep storm warden as useful combat class with focus on damage while pathfinder will be more tanky and single target focused.

- Now we have only one useful at-will with big are damage - Split Strike. It would be great to see some love after last nerf it - so that damage melee class could be on 1-2 position of damage in pve.

- Electric shot also need some love - maybe same one as i described above for Clear the ground

- Ambush and Bear trap - are useless now. No idea what to do with them or why to use them. Even with more damage booster for trap - it is trash. No idea why we have feet for then in combat path also. Nobody will take this encounter and nobody will take a feet for it.

- 2 areal encounter for melee - Thorn strike and steel breeze - are useful a bit. But thorn deal decent damage, Steel does not - only used for stamina recovery. Maybe you could boost Steel by the how close you are to the target? Counter part of this skill - archer ones are so so useful for archer and combat. Better then nothing but still week for combat -since no real combat boosters apply. Constructive useless at 99% -small range, small time, no damage at all for archer or combat.

- Boars Charge - it is nice that this encounter now does not expires and can be used if you missed target. but due to long animation and short distance it is very tricky to use and can be easily walked away ! not dodged but walked! OR even if you miss target for a bit angel it does not trigger right. Maybe you could increase range of effect on make it target focused with target tracking in area of effect.

I might miss something. But this is my view on how Devs can make Hr not a garbage class in mod 4.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    lirithiel wrote: »
    Could I get some clarification on the increase of GWF/GF stuns to 3 seconds? Is that 3 seconds in pvp or just pve and halved against players?

Id redirect you to GWF thread- look at the link I posted earlier. You can always use devtracker thread for Dev posts.
  • Options
    stainfurlagstainfurlag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    Just for clarification

here panderus said that Blade Hurricane hast a 65%damage boos (up from 5), but the patch notes says it's 100%, so, wich one is it?

2nd, as some of other player stated before me, fox cunning, should grant, either control inmunity for the ranger only, or cc brake (just like ITC) it already hasta a tremendous damage so... why not, or even marauder, not both, just one of them,

For stor warden, clear the ground i think i will benefit a lot from the new paragorn feats, but seriously, for electric shot need help, split shot still is faster and does more damage without chargint it, why not Electric shot way faster... or hable to do bouncing damage (like lightning enchantment) or add some utility, like slow, give it something

for the rest, i can't wait for test the HR for Mod 4 ^^
  • Options
    mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    An idea would be, since in the 'new' Meta for PvE: Electric Shot FORCES Split the Sky to fire.
    Right now, and as it will be even more so, once the mobs get stunned/dazed/proned/frozen, they barely finish any attack swing, so StS often turns out to be a wasted Encounter Slot.

The current way StS is triggered turns it into a joke when the party actually works together....
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    boar prone still auto stun yourself for a good second. Please take a look
  • Options
    stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could save a ton of problems by just switching Constricting Arrow back to its original form. Honestly GC you guys make it more complex than it needs to be.

Hope we see some more changes to the feat trees before mod 4, been pretty silent here except nerfs.
    GShBCGl.jpg
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Okay guys, this is getting a little over the top now. Keep the class feedback in the pertinent threads.

The amount of off topic, cross contamination in the last two days is making my job far, far more time consuming and unfortunately at this point I am calling it quits in regards to saving posts.

Please read the Official Feedback Guidelines which can be found
    on the first page of every feedback thread.

Every day I remove at least two pages of discussions. Please guys, if you are clicking the reply button understand that there is, quite seriously, a 99% chance I am simply going to remove it from the Official Feedback threads. Please stop and think twice before posting a reply.

However in the last two days everything is mashed together. Sorry guys but I do not have the time to read through all of these posts four times over to sort them out especially when the posts are actually 'GWF' feedback which is nothing more than complaints on what other classes have in comparison.

TL;DR: If your post is removed and you feel it contained an important message then you can either post it as feedback (not a reply/discussion/debate), post it in the discussions threads or PM me and I will look into where it should go.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Bringing back Constrictive Arrow without making other changes will be positive on the PvP side, giving back some real CC to the HR, but will be a real problem for the Trapper tree.
    In order to properly carry out its controller function in PvE, the Trapper needs at least two area strong-root powers. At this time it has exactly two of them: Constrictive Arrow (ranged) and Hindering Strike (melee). Binding Arrow is almost useless in PvE as it roots 1 mob (2 with luck) and most of the time elite mobs are CC-immune anyway.
    Going back to the old Constrictive would reduce the amount of control by almost 50%. Reworking Binding Arrow to an area power would be a good solution in that case (I suggested making Binding Arrow the same power used by Green Dragonfangs with strong roots and disable).
  • Options
    marko531marko531 Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2014
    Some suggestions on how to make archery and trapper tree better in pvp and still keep the right direction of the idea behind these 2 paths.

Archery: Since its introduced as opportunist path, it has no cc atm. Thats fine in my book but it should have more options avoiding combat and gaining advantage against opponent of any class. The only way archers can make serious damage is with aimed shot but it can be interupted really easy. So my suggestion to make archery better for pvp is a simple change on AMBUSH encounter. Skill activation is buggy if u move or shift fast after activating ambush stealth is canceled and skill is on cooldown. Stealth is interupted by any attack or shift, move speed is slow. Make that ambush has a speed bonus or at least make attacking possible while ambush lasts, but give a few more sec on cooldown. With this archers will get some time to land an aimed shot after they put a prey with encounter powers. this would work great in combination with forest ghost.

Trapper: make that roots last a little longer on players.
  • Options
    nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback: Disruptive Shot still ignores CC-Immunity like ITC or Unstoppable...
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Disruptive Shot breaks Duelist Flurry's 3 hit, making the at will useless if hit.
    Feedback: As others have stated, there needs to be something done to electric shot to make it stand out from split shot and useful. Currently there is no reason to use it.
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback

Is it WAI that Disruptive Shot ignores CC-Immunity like ITC or Unstoppable?

Is it WAI that the visual effect from Aimed Strike doesn't disappear for you and all your allies if your target goes stealth?
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    feedback
    marauders escape, marauders rush, fox shift. immunity is the best thing in pvp. although marauders do bug out sometimes.