test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger Changes

gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

The Hunter Ranger was originally introduced as a complex class who thrived on constantly fighting at varying ranges and weaving in and out of combat. During his lifetime out in the wilds we have found that players really prefer to enjoy him in a much larger variety of ways than that, so we wanted to get back to basics with his paragon feats and enable that gameplay more strongly while still offering a way to preserve the existing gameplay. Additionally his hybrid Controller/Striker nature was difficult to balance, so we are more strongly dividing that into his feat trees as well. These changes are slated for Module 4, Tyranny of Dragons.

Overview
The Hunter Ranger now has 3 distinct styles of gameplay that all serve fairly different roles in combat. His Archery tree now strongly reinforces the sniper taking careful aim and landing that perfect shot. The Combat tree is much more focused on being in the grit of combat and using the whirling steel to protect oneself and deal heavy damage. The Trapper tree (which was formerly called Nature) is now a controller heavy tree that focuses on weaving back and forth between the two stances to control foes and deal damage. In addition to these changes, Grasping Roots got a major change to make it simpler to understand and much less buggy feeling.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    Powers
    • Grasping Roots (Weak): This power now roots a target in place for 1 second (.5 seconds on players). This power now deals damage against Control Immune targets.
    • Grasping Roots (Strong): This power now roots a target in place for 2 seconds (1 second on players). This power now deals damage against Control Immune targets.
    • Aspect of the Serpent: This power now only stacks 2 times each direction. This power now provides 3% per stack. This power grants an additional 3% per stack per rank.
    • Constricting Arrow: This power is now an Area of Effect Strong Grasping Roots apply instead of a series of stuns.
    Feats: Archery
    T1
    • Ghostwalker: 5/10/15/20/25% more Stamina Regeneration while in Ranged Stance.
    • Keen Eye: 1/2/3/4/5% more AP from Ranged Powers.
    T2
    • Broadhead Arrows: 1/2/3/4/5% more Critical Chance while in Ranged Stance.
    T3
    • Unflinching Aim: 6/12/18/24/30% more Ranged Damage.
    • Bottomless Quiver: 10/20/30/40/50% shorter Ranged cooldowns.
    T4
    • Rising Focus: Ranged Critical Strikes grant 1/2/3/4/5% Critical Severity and 1/2/3/4/5% more Power. Stacks 3 times. Lasts 6 seconds.
    • Stillness of the Forest: Your Ranged damage is increased the farther you get from your target. Max 2/4/6/8/10%. Additionally, while no foes are within 25 feet of you, you have 5/10/15/20/25% increased chance to crit.
    T5
    • Predator: Using a ranged encounter power on a foe applies Prey to your target. You deal 30% additional damage to your Prey. You may only have 1 Prey at a time. Prey lasts 20 seconds or until the Prey dies.
    Feats: Combat
    T1
    • Bloodletting: While in Melee Stance you gain 1/2/3/4/5% more Life Steal.
    • Serpent Weave: Shifting lowers Melee cooldowns by .1/.2/.3/.4/.5s.
    T2
    • Fluid Hunter: While in Melee you gain 1/2/3/4/5% more Deflect Rating.
    T3
    • Piercing Blade: Melee attacks deal an additional 3/6/9/12/15% damage as Piercing damage. Piercing damage is Physical damage that cannot be resisted or deflected.
    • Wilds Medicine: Deflecting attacks cause the Hunter to be healed for 1/2/3/4/5% of their HP over 15 seconds. This effect can stack.
    T4
    • Scything Blades: The Ranger deals 1/2/3/4/5% more Melee Damage for each foe within 25 feet.
    • Battle Crazed: Melee Attacks grant .6/1.2/1.8/2.4/3% more Life Steal. This effect stacks up to 5 times. Lasts 3 seconds.
    T5
    • Blade Hurricane: Using a Melee Encounter Power grants Flurry. Flurry causes your next Melee At-Will to strike two additional times for 5% additional damage. Flurry can only be triggered once every 5 seconds.
    Feats: Trapper (formerly Nature)
    T1
    • Fleet Stance: When you switch stances you move 2/4/6/8/10% faster for several seconds.
    • Readied Stance: When you switch stances you generate 1/2/3/4/5% more AP for several seconds.
    T2
    • Deft Strikes: Your Melee encounter powers cause your next Ranged encounter power to deal 2/4/6/8/10% more damage. Your Ranged encounter powers cause your next Melee encounter power to deal 2/4/6/8/10% more damage.
    T3
    • Ancient Roots: Your Weak Grasping Roots now last .5/1/1.5/2/2.5 seconds longer. Your Strong Grasping Roots now last 1/2/3/4/5 seconds longer. This benefit is halved on players.
    • Swiftness of the Fox: Your Melee encounter powers shorten the cooldown of your Ranged encounter powers by .2/.4/.6/.8/1 second. Your Ranged encounter powers shorten the cooldown of your Melee encounter powers by .2/.4/.6/.8/1 second.
    T4
    • Thorned Roots: Your Strong Grasping Roots are upgraded to Thorned Roots. Thorned Roots deal 50/100/150/200/250% of your Weapon damage over their duration. Half this damage is dealt immediately to control immune targets.
    • Serpent's Bite: Your Aspect of the Serpent Class Feature now provides 1/2/3/4/5% more damage per stack. Additionally these stacks also provide .5/1/1.5/2/2.5% Critical chance per stack.
    T5
    • Biting Snares: When you apply Grasping Roots or Thorned Roots you gain "Biting Snares". Biting Snares causes your next stance shift to generate 10% of your AP and increase your damage by 15% for 10 seconds. This effect can only be trigged once every 10 seconds.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Feedback
    We need to collect as much feedback as possible on this so we can tweak the feel and effects of the Hunter Ranger in PVE and performance in PVP. Given that, we would like you to categorize and color code your feedback so we can sort it and act on it most effectively! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
    Spec: (Please enter the spec that you are providing feedback for here)
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Spec then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
    Bug: Destroyer
    Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.

Please try to play for a few hours to get used to the feat changes. Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!

Chris “Gentleman_Crush” Meyer
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    One more reserved! Feel free to post below here.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Could we get a fix to Retreat Technique (Combat T1)? It actually grants 5 Action Points (not 5%). Probably too powerful if 5%, but 5 is so tiny that shifting 6 times (depleting Stamina) will barely increment Action Points by 1%.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    In order to better organize and track feedback please follow these guidelines when posting your valuable feedback in the Official Feedback Threads:
    • Please keep the feedback directed to the developers.
      Discussions and debates are great but do not belong in these threads. Thanks!
    • It is okay to respond to say "+1" to a post but avoid any more in depth responses to other players.
    • Please give feedback based on your actual gameplay experience on the PTS.
    • Keep feedback pertinent to proposed changes or minor changes to non-proposed changes.
      Please try to keep suggestions for complete power, skill and gameplay overhauls in their own unique threads.
    • This should go without saying but follow the Forum Rules

Additionally while this is not an absolute mandate it would be immensely helpful if posts could be formatted in a concise and clear manner. Here are some tips to get your feedback hear loud and clear.
    • Please supply all feedback in cyan and bug reports in red.
    • Title your Feedback and report and then give a short description. Example:
      Examples:
      Bug: Destroyer
      Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.
    • Less is more. Think bullet points. Long and in depth posts are sometimes needed to convey feedback but the more to the point feedback is the easier it will be for the developers to read and organize.
    Feedback and posts which do not follow these guidelines should either go in their own threads
    or in the discussion threads:

Guardian Fighter Feedback Discussions
    Great Weapon Fighter Feedback Discussions
    Hunter Ranger Feedback Discussions
    Control Wizard Feedback Discussions
    Warlock Feedback Discussions
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Could we get a fix to Retreat Technique (Combat T1)? It actually grants 5 Action Points (not 5%). Probably too powerful if 5%, but 5 is so tiny that shifting 6 times (depleting Stamina) will barely increment Action Points by 1%.

That feat no longer exists so it isn't terribly relevant :)
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ah, misread the post haha :)

May I say that Feats boosing a stat by a percentage as low as 5% (other than for Power) are generally not worthwhile due to the way Diminishing Returns kicks in?

For example if I have 1350 Lifesteal (around 10% damage as HP) and gain 5% more from the Bloodletting Feat Combat T1 (1417 total), I now gain 10.1% damage as HP.

That is also why 2 of the Devoted Cleric Heroic Feats are never picked.

Based on the rework, I would always pick as a Melee Ranger:
    T1 (Combat)
    Serpent Weave: Shifting lowers Melee cooldowns by .1/.2/.3/.4/.5s.

T2
    Fluid Hunter: While in Melee you gain 1/2/3/4/5% more Deflect Rating.

T3
    Piercing Blade: Melee attacks deal an additional 3/6/9/12/15% damage as Piercing damage. Piercing damage is Physical damage that cannot be resisted or deflected.
    Wilds Medicine: Deflecting attacks cause the Hunter to be healed for 1/2/3/4/5% of their HP over 15 seconds. This effect can stack.

T4
    Scything Blades: The Ranger deals 1/2/3/4/5% more Melee Damage for each foe within 25 feet.

T5
    Blade Hurricane: Using a Melee Encounter Power grants Flurry. Flurry causes your next Melee At-Will to strike two additional times for 5% additional damage. Flurry can only be triggered once every 5 seconds.

T1 (Trapper)
    Fleet Stance: When you switch stances you move 2/4/6/8/10% faster for several seconds.

The other feats just do not compare to them.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Ah, misread the post haha :)

May I say that Feats boosing a stat by a percentage as low as 5% (other than for Power) are generally not worthwhile due to the way Diminishing Returns kicks in?

For example if I have 1350 Lifesteal (around 10% damage as HP) and gain 5% more from the Bloodletting Feat Combat T1 (1417 total), I now gain 10.1% damage as HP.

That is also why 2 of the Devoted Cleric Heroic Feats are never picked.

That is a T1 feat, so with all 3 trees having access to it there is a much lower power bar it stands at. The ones deeper down the tree (like Battle Crazed) actually add to your raw Lifesteal percent.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wait, you mean Battle Crazed on its own would grant me 15% damage as hitpoints, even if I had 0 Lifesteal? And just for using any melee power (including at wills)?

I realize T1 feats need to be weaker (we learnt that the hard way with people picking tons of OP T1s in the past before changes), but that T1 is less useful than any of the other T1s.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You might want to fix the list at the top of the page. Its broken.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You might want to fix the list at the top of the page. Its broken.

good catch. Fixed.
  • Options
    futuunfutuun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    • Bottomless Quiver: 10/20/30/40/50% shorter Ranged cooldowns.

So i have a question :)
    Now Thorn Ward has 20s cooldown, when i buy this feat it will be... 10s or 13.4s?
    0LQASjV.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    futuun wrote: »
    So i have a question :)
    Now Thorn Ward has 20s cooldown, when i buy this feat it will be... 10s or 13.4s?

13.4 seconds, I'm 90% sure.
  • Options
    cindiklecindikle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited June 2014
    As an Archer, I do like the changes. It feels like we're getting more reliable damage. But it's not the tree that bugs me. It's the powers.

We are still very limited to Thorn Ward, Rain of Arrows and Split the Sky.
    Some fights Commanding Shot, and possibly with the root changes vs bosses, Hindering/Constricting Shot will be useable.

Hawkeye is still very bad. Even more-so now with the Hindering/Constricting Shots doing increased damaged to CC immune to targets. I can understand why you can't just give it more damage. It does a good chunk of damage. But it is just not reliable to use. Thorn Ward and Rain of Arrows will always out preform it. And Commanding Shot will bring more overall dps. Normalize it's damage a little(Currently I max at 4800) for my stats bring it to 1.5k-3.5k. And have it grant additional Action Points based on range. This would at least allow it to replace Rain of Arrows in a single target fight. Another option could be to make Predator grant a bonus to Hawk Shot, such as always assuming max range to the target. But that may be a bit much as it already gives 30% damage.

Electric Shot is still worse than Split Shot in every way. Give it some sort of special effect. I made a post last night on it. "Shoots an arrow damaging and charging all nearby targets. Targets can be charged up to 3 times. When a charged target is damaged by a single target encounter ability it deals 30% of it's damage per to all nearby charged targets per charge." Each rank adding 5% more damage per charge. I don't believe this will make it OP or even stronger than Split Shot as it still deals less base damage. %'s can be adjusted if I'm wrong.

I like that I will have the option to actually be an Archer. But I would also like my melee abilities to matter. Split the Sky does this well. Not many other abilities do.
    Not 100% what melee's tend to use. But I'd assume it's Fox's Shift, Marauder's Rush then either Hindering Strike for the quick activation AoE, Rain of Swords for the unlimited targets/Rain of Arrows swap or Thorn Strike for Thorn Ward. Out of all of these, the only ability they get little to no use in ranged stance in Hindering Shot. The rest all are either picked for the strong Range ability or happen to have a strong Ranged ability.
    Archery doesn't have this.
    I'd say change Thorn Strike. It's not a very strong ability. It's activation is slow, can it's attack width is small. I doubt any Melee HR picks it up for the melee ability. Change it to another ward. That is placed under your feet(as it is melee) granting bonuses to those standing in it. It doesn't need to be a damage bonus. Could be a protective bonus of sorts(maybe something that would allow an uninterrupted Aim Shot). If it really would hurt Melee HR's then a buff to their other options(mainly Rain of Swords probably) could be a good direction.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    let's be clear:

Wilds Medicine: Deflecting attacks cause the Hunter to be healed for 1/2/3/4/5% of their HP over 15 seconds. This effect can stack.

what does it mean? clearly.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    let's be clear:

what does it mean? clearly.

You deflect an attack (you get the reduced damage and the down arrow) you get a HoT that returns 5% of your HP over 15 seconds. This effect is triggered each time you successfully deflect.

The melee tree is much more focused on being a dangerous melee brawler who can absorb a fair amount of rapid strikes easily and thrives on striking foes and moving quickly.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You deflect an attack (you get the reduced damage and the down arrow) you get a HoT that returns 5% of your HP over 15 seconds. This effect is triggered each time you successfully deflect.

The melee tree is much more focused on being a dangerous melee brawler who can absorb a fair amount of rapid strikes easily and thrives on striking foes and moving quickly.
    So no strange internal cooldown or "chance to get once in a while" involved?
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2014

how many times can it stack? Say 25% over 15 seconds. That might be a tad OP in pvp
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    So no strange internal cooldown or "chance to get once in a while" involved?

It does seem to compensante a bit for the set-bonus getting nerfed. Notice that it's over 15 seconds though, so a 5% heal of 35k would be 1.7k over 15 seconds, or 116 per second (depending on how it ticks).

Not quite the same as what you'd currently get- 700 instantly.

I'm really glad to see there's something in there to help though. HRs need to be in melee range at least some of the time in PVP and without a CC-break or CC-immunity besides dodge, we've relied on this kind of healing to stay alive.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It does seem to compensante a bit for the set-bonus getting nerfed. Notice that it's over 15 seconds though, so a 5% heal of 35k would be 1.7k over 15 seconds, or 116 per second (depending on how it ticks).

Not quite the same as what you'd currently get- 700 instantly.

I'm really glad to see there's something in there to help though. HRs need to be in melee range at least some of the time in PVP and without a CC-break or CC-immunity besides dodge, we've relied on this kind of healing to stay alive.

That is precisely how it functions. Each stack ticks every 3 seconds (but they all work the same way) so in your case each deflect you get would grant 116 HP/S for 15 seconds. While it is in theory possible for this to stack up very rapidly if incoming hits are very rapid, you are also likely to die if that pace is kept up. This will help them eat more sustained damage without impacting burst damage in any really immediate way.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited June 2014
    What of the buffs hrs have? Are they just gonna have 50% on team 100% on self by default; or is it 100% for all. Whats going on with those abilites I like having oakskin just because of what it does for a team.

changed the nature tree so basically none of those skills have any boosts or mentions.

Or are they additions to the feats?

I like the ideas though.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited June 2014
    What of the buffs hrs have? Are they just gonna have 50% on team 100% on self by default; or is it 100% for all. Whats going on with those abilites I like having oakskin just because of what it does for a team.

This is the main gist of what i was asking.

Edit:thanks gentlemancrush
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The various buffs will be 50% on teammates and 100% on self. There are no more feats specifically tailored to them.
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I fought a lot of hunter rangers on the preview shard because of the skill "wilds medicine". i feared it would mean that they are still unkillable for guardian fighters and i was right. I fought i low gs hr with about 12k gs and i have 17.8 gs and i couldnt kill him. Mind you he was squishy because i wont geared him about but he would simply heal back to full health everytime. They should have a skill that heals them but it shouldnt take or should have internal cool down. Or else people will cry again because hr will be too overpowered. They also still have forest meditation that is overpowered. You can also force them to get feats in the trappers tree by putting wild medicine there. It would be a huge balance
  • Options
    pandora1xpandora1x Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's confirmed. Pathfinder will be the new king of PVP after the change.

Me and my sis went to preview earlier and a bunch of people were there testing stuff.

THREE, THREE control wizards were attacking a PathFinder. And he kept healing back at full HP via this new broken feat called "Medicine". Okay, they nerfed their bonus set, but this feat is WORSE than that set lmfao. It took another person (4) to finally kill the ranger. Keep in mind that he was just standing there not attacking back. And we saw green numbers flying everywhere around him. So we're not counting Life Steal here too, imagine he attacked back. Is this how it's supposed to be?
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Powers
    • Wilds Medicine: Deflecting attacks cause the Hunter to be healed for 1/2/3/4/5% of their HP over 15 seconds. This effect can stack.

I don't need one second of testing to know that this without ICD will make HRs immortal.
  • Options
    nem3zissnem3ziss Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    i managed to bring my friend HR to 65 stacks of medicine. He was just standing, eating my df's and healing for more then i could damage him... on lurkers assault :D I switched to pvorp to not give him a chance to deflect as much... nah, just gave him 15 stacks, immortal. This is a feedback: if this hits live then welcome 5hr party. you fixed set and give them feat much more powerfull then this set pre fix and pre healing depression combined. ICD or cap at 5 stacks will be good solution.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    HR vs 4x CW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUVjGUtTIM

It was pretty funny to watch it happen.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It needs either a stack limit or a icd, because for now it's just crazy!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    morpheaxmorpheax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited June 2014
    I'm starting to love the feat changes,archery tree seems to be getting quite better for pve at last! this is what we needed!
    im a 15,2k GS HR that is tired of losing to dmg dealt to mobs by some 12k GS CW...this is just wrong,we draw too much aggro while doing so little damage at the moment...
    hopefully the CW nerfs and HR buffs will finally stabilize the dmg difference between the classes...at least thats what i hope for...
    i was starting to get desperate about my class and what i can do with it...i wouldnt want to make another main character