test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    Sorry to all the nay-sayers, but I missed the part where the game forces you to purchase this additional content.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sorry to all the nay-sayers, but I missed the part where the game forces you to purchase this additional content.
    Most of the people that are upset aren't upset that it's behind a paywall. Many many many f2p games restrict some races behind a paywall. What almost everyone is upset about is the size of the wall. Most of us would pay 15-30 for the race alone. The pack however is 100.00. That's the main complaint.
  • yeahnubbyyeahnubby Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I bought the Feywild pack, because I think it had great value with an account-wide epic mount and companion, 600k AD, and an exclusive race. This pack simply doesn't have the same value without these items, and it is even more expensive. I think I'll pass for now, just like everyone else in this thread
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    That's more reasonable. +1
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Most of the people that are upset aren't upset that it's behind a paywall. Many many many f2p games restrict some races behind a paywall. What almost everyone is upset about is the size of the wall. Most of us would pay 15-30 for the race alone. The pack however is 100.00. That's the main complaint.

^^^ This ^^^
  • fuzzychaos13fuzzychaos13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    anharmon wrote: »
    +2 to any two stats just means that the dragonborn can effectively be any class, as opposed to being restricted to a few classes it's good at. Done most likely to increase the value of the dragonborn. I'm a little annoyed by it, since it goes against (really) the whole point of having racial selection and makes the dragonborn race superior to others, but I'm not really upset. A dragonborn GWF won't be any better than a dwarf GWF.

-You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.

-You receive 5% more healing from all sources.

A Dragonborn GWF will be MILES stronger then any other Race as a GWF.

This is a PAYED Competitive advantage whether you agree or disagree, Specially in all end game Premades.
    edited July 2014
    -You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.

-You receive 5% more healing from all sources.

A Dragonborn GWF will be MILES stronger then any other Race as a GWF.

This is a PAYED Competitive advantage whether you agree or disagree, Specially in all end game Premades.
    Sorry I disagree, I think halfling would still be on top in pvp which is what you're talking about I believe.
  • fuzzychaos13fuzzychaos13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Sorry I disagree, I think halfling would still be on top in pvp which is what you're talking about I believe.

no no thats not what I meant to say, I meant to say Dragonborn Will be the most OP class in PvP with +5% incoming healing bonus?.... lol You do understand that the +5% is a FLAT 5% increase in healing dont you? Its not effected by healing depression.

Not to mention :
    --You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.

Ya this is hands down the strongest Race in PvP.

Rather have a power/Crit 3% boost, whilst having a 5%+ increased Healing from ALL SOURCES (constant)

Then having a 10% CC resist.
  • jennyavarieljennyavariel Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 167
    edited July 2014
    If you're only here to PvP, then maybe Dragonborn is a good race for you. For the rest of us that like to look good when we RP in this MMO *RPG* game, we'll still be playing elves, humans, etc. Sometimes, looking good is it's own reward.

Note: My GWF is a halfling :D
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you choose various races, you can gain the following stat mods:

+2 dex, +2 wis - drow, drow
    +2 dex, +2 cha - drow / halfling
    +2 dex, +2 con - halfling / half orc
    +2 dex, +2 str - half orc
    +2 dex, +2 int - wood elf / sun elf

+2 con, +2 str - dwarf
    +2 con, +2 wis - dwarf, half elf

+2 int, +2 cha - sun elf, tiefling

+2 cha, +2 con - tiefling

That's a pretty good selection. Pick your race, based on the stats you want. Same as DnD has always been ( except the lack of need for darkvision :) )

That's pretty much it for anyone who wants it completely free. It is PURELY a cosmetic item. Even if it provides an advantage, it's still just a boost+cosmetic item. Booth are pay for items in NW Online.

Free players are... good for the game, yes. But let's face it, you'll ALWAYS have cheap people who will play the game for free to fill up space. What you need to do in a game like this, is appease your buyers. Like I said earlier, I'd have bought a reasonable 50 dollar pack, I'd have paid 20 dollars for the race. But 100 dollars for a junk (in my opinion) pack. Even someone who broke it down to 40 dollars for the race. Well, that's still way too much.

If they're going to sell races, sell it on the zen store. If you want to sell a second version that's a little better as an exclusive race, that's fine too. Just give us access to the core race that isn't 100 dollars.
  • nickbarneznickbarnez Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It would surprise me. It was stated in interview by PWE CEO (Back in February or March, 2013) that Classes will always be free to play. Though things change, it really would surprise me if a class were put behind a paywall.

As for the Dragonborn pack: go ahead and call me a "whale" or whatever you want. I bought one and I'm happy I did. Here's a couple points to consider, just food for thought, folks:

Why include another freakin' Companion? I have *too many* companions - all are account-wide through other packs and bonus rewards. I don't need another companion and if this pack included one it would frankly *lower the value* of the pack from my perspective. If you want to buy a pack that comes with a companion there are four others already available - buy one of those.

True, the Dragnonborn race is a "cosmetic" change, but having modeled in 3D myself for years I look at the example images and I can't help but feel there is a lot more to it. The body shapes are drastically different from all other race models - not the textures, mind you, but that actual body shapes. This leads me to believe there was a *lot* of extra work involved, creating armor and costumes and whatnot. Sure, I could be completely wrong, but it would be a massive undertaking to create all that stuff in such a way as to be compatible with existing model mesh shape and the new one. I dunno - I just hope there is quality there (no clipping, etc.).

The price of the pack is highly subjective. First of all $100 isn't all that much. But I'm an "old <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" (Age 52) - so I make enough discretionary money I can buy it. I know many of you are less than 30-somethings and that same amount is a lot "higher" percentage of your discretionary income than it would be for me. But also the "value" of the pack is subjective.

Everyone is looking at it as "buying the race with trinkets added-in". I see it differently: I am buying all the "trinkets: and the playable race is "added-in". The Dragonborn race is the bonus coming with the other stuff. Now consider the prices of all these other things, such as the Artifact if they were sold in the Auction House. I would hope you get my point.

If Dragonborn is the most-requested playable race then it's simply good business to charge people for it. This *is* business, not a charity as was mentioned above. So the question is: at what price point to sell it? It's a statistical fact that $20 and less is an "impulse buy" (people will just throw $20 around willy-nilly) - but $100 and less is a "careless buy" - very low percolation time in consideration before spending - meaning the buyer considers benefit first, value second.

So by adding in all the trinkets to make it a whole package - Cryptic raises the value of the package. Buy pricing it at the $100 point fewer people will buy it (yet they'll make the same money) - makes it "rarer" in-game, increasing the value even more for those willing to buy the package. Example: Black Ice Warhorse and Tenser's Disk Mounts in the AH: They are *Rare* - they sell between 17 and 30 Million and they *are* selling. Hence - the "rarity" of an item increases the worth.

Finally: this is not "pay-to-win" as some have hinted at. Playing a Dragonborn race will give no one any advantage over anyone else. You can play and "win" the game 100% without spending a single dime. So enough with that nonsense.

I could say "hey, I'm supporting the game studio by buying this stuff so you guys can play for free!" -BUNK. Truth: I'm selfish. I'm buying this stuff for myself because I want it. Supporting the studio and allowing others to play for free is just a side-benefit, PWE's business model. However, the good news is that the onus is on them: they must create high-quality stuff that people are willing to pay for or the whole house will collapse. Fortunately, they are building high-quality stuff people are willing to pay for. So you detractors and naysayers can whine and cry and complain and notch all you want - it won't change anything. But if shouting out your disapproval makes you feel better then fair enough.

I could not have said this any better sir. but as you said, you are 52 years old and the majority of the players on NWO are 15-30. that being said i think that they should cater to the majority of the players and maybe lower the price buy 10-20 dollars since quite a few of us youngsters have part-time jobs or are still in school and dont have a job at all. I have no problem with the content of the pack and believe that if they shaved the price down a bit it would be very reasonable. I myself already have an account wide mount and have no need for that or any more companions. Also you are very right about the 3D model of the dragonborn. It is COMPLETELY different from the other ones and how all the armors are going to fit to it we have yet to see, but i hope that it is a job well done because i plan on buying this pack and hope for the best when i try and equip armors that normally fit on the "normal" races. This pack makes up for what it lacks in mount/companions in the items it gives. it gives 6 or 7 (i dont remember) overload slot enchants, and if you havent read what they do then i highly recommend you do because they are very pleasing. And with that i bid you adieu.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As I've said before, I'd love to play as dragonborn, even making my main one, but I don't need or want the stuff that comes at the 100 dollar price tag. I just want the race, and would be willing to pay $20 max for it. I might be convinced to shell out a little more if its like $30 or something, but I won't buy it as it is currently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited July 2014
    no no thats not what I meant to say, I meant to say Dragonborn Will be the most OP class in PvP with +5% incoming healing bonus?.... lol You do understand that the +5% is a FLAT 5% increase in healing dont you? Its not effected by healing depression.

Not to mention :
    --You have a 5% chance when attacking a foe to apply Dragonborn Fury to yourself for 6 seconds, increasing your Power and Critical Strike by 3%.

Ya this is hands down the strongest Race in PvP.

Rather have a power/Crit 3% boost, whilst having a 5%+ increased Healing from ALL SOURCES (constant)

Then having a 10% CC resist.
    The healing is nice don't get me wrong. However the power isn't that great.

lets say you have 5000 power for a nice round number. An extra 3% makes it 5150 for an extra 150 power.

Now I'm going to assume this is right from the wiki
    Power
    Power Tooltip = Power*0.04
    so your 150 power would equal 6 damage. Now I may be misunderstanding this, and if so I welcome someone to correct my math. The there is the crit boost which to my knowledge no one has tested if it's straight 3% chance to crit or if it's 3% crit rating, so some of that is up in the air.

Then there is that it's only a 5% chance to apply it, that is similar to darkfire except darkfire is 4 secs, that said darkfire isn't always up and neither ill be Dragonborn fury.

Next up the healing, it's nice however
    If you heal 1000 per tick with regen that will be 500 per tick with HD an extra 5% is an extra 25hp per tick if I'm understanding it correctly.(best case it's 50 per tick) That's not likely to save you unlike 10% CR which will help get you out of a stun faster to avoid taking the big hit from whatever they have coming up next.

I can see a case being made for it being the best race for a perma that uses DF because the rapid hits of the third part of df would likely spawn DrF, and the extra 5% could help while they skulk around stealthed to regen any damage. However I just don't see it for the other classes.
  • oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Halfling (+2 Dex and +2Char or +2Con):
    + 3% Deflect and + 10% CC

Dragonbown (+2 to 2 stats)
    + 5% Healing and +3% Power and Crit

For PvP the winner is Halfling, CC and Deflect are better than a +50 HP each 3 seconds or something like that, and the +3% Power is something like +1% DPS?, lol, I don't see why some ppl say it's soooooo goooood!.
  • glaciauzumakiglaciauzumaki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There will be both male and female Dragonborn. Confirmed on Neverwinter Facebook page. But yes I would like screenshots. A dragonelle mount would be nice.
  • iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    well there's a sucker born every minute
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There will be both male and female Dragonborn. Confirmed on Neverwinter Facebook page. But yes I would like screenshots. A dragonelle mount would be nice.

It's been found that there will be "Drake" mounts in the next lockbox.(Obviously this could change, but as of right now this is what Preview players have reported. And the Mod 4 Video trailer SHOWS the Drake mount briefly.)
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would love to race change my main to a dragonborn, but I also cannot justify the 100 dollar price tag. My top is roughly 30.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
    edited July 2014
    nickbarnez wrote: »
    I could not have said this any better sir. but as you said, you are 52 years old and the majority of the players on NWO are 15-30. that being said i think that they should cater to the majority of the players and maybe lower the price buy 10-20 dollars since quite a few of us youngsters have part-time jobs or are still in school and dont have a job at all.

And you know what? I absolutely concur with you! I remember being 17, being 25, being 30 years old. Money was hard to come by and choosing what to spend few discretionary dollars on wasn't always easy. So I absolutely concur and empathize with people in this situation.

Now here's why I fully respect your comment over some of the others that are saying basically the same thing: you are not bashing Cryptic or PWE and proclaiming the package as containing "junk" and that it is "valueless". But rather you are simply stating your case in a logical, plain manner.

And for this your comment carries so much more integrity and validation than most of the bashers above.

The package is expensive. I get it. But here's the thing: all those proclaim the package as "junk" or lacking "value" are the ones who want to buy the pack but either cannot or will not at this price point. They are jealous and trying to self-justify not buying. So be it. With that said, I do hope Cryptic releases a "race-only" offer for $10 or $20 sometime in the (hopefully near) future to allow those with lesser discretionary means to be able to obtain this playable race.

The good news is that this isn't a temporary promotion. The Hero of the North and other packages are still available. This one will be, too. So at least people will be able to save-up for it if they choose.)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have to admit I am confused why they didn't throw in an account-wide Companion and Mount as they did for the previous packs.

Asking $95 for just a Race, a nice bag and some fluff seems excessive compared to previous Guardian and Feywild packs which for $60 gave you companions, mounts, 600K AD, and possibly a Race too.
  • baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    "Head here to purchase the Dragonborn Legend Pack on ArcGames.com (...)"

Could someone with first-hand experience please deny/confirm that having Arc installed is a necessary prerequisite for purchasing this pack?

If so, I'd like Cryptic/PWE to check back with their marketing department - to me, it makes no sense erecting artificial hurdles between your product and potential buyers. Instead, you want them to be able to impulse-purchase during a weak moment. Arc isn't helping anyone there, instead, it's preventing sales.

I'd appreciate having all purchase options easily accessible either on character screen or ingame, ideally for Zen.
    edited July 2014
    baylen76 wrote: »
    "Head here to purchase the Dragonborn Legend Pack on ArcGames.com (...)"

Could someone with first-hand experience please deny/confirm that having Arc installed is a necessary prerequisite for purchasing this pack?

I do have ARC Client installed - but the entire transaction occurred on the "ARC Web site" (ARCGames.com) - I purchased it on my Macintosh in Safari Web Browser - so I know the ARC Client has nothing to do with it.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The package is expensive. I get it. But here's the thing: all those proclaim the package as "junk" or lacking "value" are the ones who want to buy the pack but either cannot or will not at this price point. They are jealous and trying to self-justify not buying. So be it.

Ok well that has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read so far today.

I bought the Hero of the North pack and I bought the Fey pack as well as spending more than I care to admit on Zen. I have no problems spending money on NW. I would even buy this pack if the contents were similar to previous packs. But when over half the items are things I wouldn't even use then yes it is "lacking value" to me. Jealousy has nothing to do with it. I like to feel things I purchase are worth it to me and this just isn't. It doesn't need any further analysis than that.
    edited July 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    But when over half the items are things I wouldn't even use then yes it is "lacking value" to me.

This is fair. Personally I'm really happy there is no mount or companion. The jealousy comment refers to the shrill commentators - they know who they are, and so do you if you read back. It's not meant to come off as a blanket statement and I apologize to you and anyone else who felt that it was.
  • whatefwhatef Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    I wish there was an option to buy just the Dragonborn race, at a reduced price. I'm fairly careful with how much I spend on this game, and to me the current pack just offers far too little I care about at far too high a price point. The only reason I'd even consider buying it is to unlock the Dragonborn race, and everything else is just pointlessly driving up the price.

If there isn't going to be any way to get a Dragonborn character without buying the entire pack then that's no skin off my back. I will simply not play a Dragonborn. If Dragonborn character were available at a more reasonable price I'd certainly buy one, but if not I guess my Warlock will have to be a Human or something.
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally I'm really happy there is no mount or companion.
    Why?
    Just curious.
    What would you like to see in this pack to replace the 'value' of the mount and companion?
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I purchased it on my Macintosh in Safari Web Browser - so I know the ARC Client has nothing to do with it.

Thanks much for the info! Now I'll wait and see if a weak moment occurs. ;)
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is fair. Personally I'm really happy there is no mount or companion. The jealousy comment refers to the shrill commentators - they know who they are, and so do you if you read back. It's not meant to come off as a blanket statement and I apologize to you and anyone else who felt that it was.

I don't think anyone has been "shrill".

The pack is not worth the cost. Whether or not you can afford it is immaterial. I'm sure the Koch brothers could afford to have take-out Chinese food delivered in disposable solid gold containers. I'm also sure they don't. I can afford the Dragonborn pack if I really want it but it would be stupid to buy it.

Most of what is in the pack is useless. Why would you slot an armor reinforcement that gives you a bonus when fighting dragons when you could have one that boosts your stats and helps you fight everything? Same for the ring; why get that when I can get a Xvim ring? The artifact is nothing special; we get plenty of them just for existing now. If it shipped at an advanced rank that might be worthwhile but it doesn't. Likewise the consumable enchantments are a pig in the poke. I doubt most of the players buying the pack would buy the fashion items if they weren't included. The only worthwhile items in the pack are the Dragonborn unlock, the bag, the race change token and the character slot. The slot is $2.50, the bag is worth about $15 when compared to existing options and the race change token is a wild card at this point. Given what it (purportedly) does a price of 1000Z seems reasonable; I don't think it would sell at over 2000Z. This puts the value of the race unlock somewhere in the $40 range at the discounted price, which is too much.

This is a cash grab, plain and simple. They took something they knew was in high demand and bundled it with a bunch of stuff they knew they couldn't sell any other way to inflate the desirable item's price. If they've decided their target market segment is people who are willing to play outrageously inflated prices for things just so they can have things other people don't then fine; they've implicitly stated they don't value my business so they're not going to get any.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The jealousy comment refers to the shrill commentators - they know who they are, and so do you if you read back. It's not meant to come off as a blanket statement and I apologize to you and anyone else who felt that it was.

You think its shrill here, you should see what's being said in blogs and on gaming sites. Bottom line, they made a really bad decision, making the Dragonborn a payed race though is not where I take issue. The mistake was to put the price point way beyond reasonable for what was included. I bought the Guardian Pack and the Feywild Pack, and would have gladly bought this pack if it had been 59.99 even with the lack of Items I think have Value. The price is simply way to high even on sale. As it stands now this situation has damage the games reputation with some members of the community, and even influenced the decision of some people who were considering becoming new players. I hope they come to realize that, and decide to make amends at some point.
  • lordashendalelordashendale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really wish the Devs would say something about this situation. we are at 48 pages and they still choose to remain silent on this issue. I would hope as customers that we would at least warrant acknowledgement that they are even reading our concerns.
This discussion has been closed.