test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Great Weapon Fighter Changes

gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

Great Weapon Fighters have been dominating in PvP and we wanted to take this opportunity to dial them back a little bit by giving them some more severe choices to make when deciding between survivability and damage. On top of that we have also given them some improvements to Mark to increase their tanking utility. Please note that these changes are for Module 4, Tyranny of Dragons.

Overview
Great Weapon Fighters provided unparalleled mobility and striking power in PVP combat, and because of the way Unstoppable functioned they also gained incredible survivability at nearly no cost. We wanted to make this more of a choice and reduce the tankiness of high damage dealing builds, while still preserving how much survivability tanks can get. In addition we toned back their mobility with some changes to Threatening Rush.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    General
    • Determination gain will no longer be subject to variance. This will make Determination gain more normalized.
    Powers
    • Mark: Mark will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.
    • Roar: This power has been fixed to no longer silence opponents for 2 seconds. Instead it correctly interrupts power usage. If a power is successfully interrupted, that power will be locked out for 2 seconds. This effect will no longer pierce CC immunity. Roar will no longer Root players for 2 seconds.
    • Unstoppable: Unstoppable now grants 5~10% damage resist when activated (down from 25~50%)
    • Takedown: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
    • Takedown: This power now deals ~30% less damage.
    • Iron Vanguard: Frontline Surge: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
    • Iron Vanguard: Threatening Rush: This power now has 3 charges which refresh every 9 seconds.
    Feats
    • Sentinel's Aegis: This feat now causes Unstoppable to grant 5 times more damage resistance in addition to its other effects.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    Feedback
    We need to collect as much feedback as possible on this so we can tweak the feel and effects of Tanking in PVE and performance in PVP. Given that, we would like you to categorize and color code your feedback so we can sort it and act on it most effectively! Please use the below format to submit bugs/feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
    Spec: (Please enter the spec that you are providing feedback for here)
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Spec then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Examples:
    Bug: Destroyer
    Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.

Please try to play for a few hours to get used to the changes. Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!

Chris “Gentleman_Crush” Meyer
    edited June 2014
    One more reserved just in case
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    In order to better organize and track feedback please follow these guidelines when posting your valuable feedback in the Official Feedback Threads:
    • Please keep the feedback directed to the developers.
      Discussions and debates are great but do not belong in these threads. Thanks!
    • It is okay to respond to say "+1" to a post but avoid any more in depth responses to other players.
    • Please give feedback based on your actual gameplay experience on the PTS.
    • Keep feedback pertinent to proposed changes or minor changes to non-proposed changes.
      Please try to keep suggestions for complete power, skill and gameplay overhauls in their own unique threads.
    • This should go without saying but follow the Forum Rules

Additionally while this is not an absolute mandate it would be immensely helpful if posts could be formatted in a concise and clear manner. Here are some tips to get your feedback hear loud and clear.
    • Please supply all feedback in cyan and bug reports in red.
    • Title your Feedback and report and then give a short description. Example:
      Examples:
      Bug: Destroyer
      Destroyer’s Purpose didn’t grant stacks while dealing damge.

I feel like I don’t have enough tools to stay alive under fire now and it makes tanking too hard.
    • Less is more. Think bullet points. Long and in depth posts are sometimes needed to convey feedback but the more to the point feedback is the easier it will be for the developers to read and organize.
    Feedback and posts which do not follow these guidelines should either go in their own threads
    or in the discussion threads:

Guardian Fighter Feedback Discussions
    Great Weapon Fighter Feedback Discussions
    Hunter Ranger Feedback Discussions
    Control Wizard Feedback Discussions
    Warlock Feedback Discussions
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Question:

Can you explain what you mean by determination no longer being subject to variance? What exactly has been done to normalize determination gain?

Determination used to be based on the damage taken (and damage dealt by Destroyers). Does this change mean it is simply going to generate passively in combat now?
    edited June 2014
    Question:

Can you explain what you mean by determination no longer being subject to variance? What exactly has been done to normalize determination gain?

Determination used to be based on the damage taken (and damage dealt by Destroyers). Does this change mean it is simply going to generate passively in combat now?

It actually was generating within a 10% swing of the damage taken value (or dealt for destroyers). Players shouldn't notice much difference but the numbers will now always be consistent rather than possibly being higher or lower on any given determination gain. This is mostly an under the hood change, but I felt it was important to let players know this was happening.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    General
    • Determination gain will no longer be subject to variance. This will make Determination gain more normalized.
      I'm assuming this means you based it off of % of health lost over damage done to you? If not, can you please elaborate?
    Powers
    • Mark: Mark will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.
      Good. It should have done that in the first place for a GF...will this overwrite the GF Mark? Although, I can see it being more needed on a sentinel GWF in some cases.
    • Roar: This power has been fixed to no longer silence opponents for 2 seconds. Instead it correctly interrupts power usage. If a power is successfully interrupted, that power will be locked out for 2 seconds. This effect will no longer pierce CC immunity. Roar will no longer Root players for 2 seconds.
      Now people can shut up :)
    • Unstoppable: Unstoppable now grants 5~10% damage resist when activated (down from 25~50%)
      Good trade off for Destroyer vs Sentinel due to the feat change. However, I can't wait for the tears from players.
    • Takedown: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
    • Takedown: This power now deals ~30% less damage.
      The stun change will be interesting to say the least, wondering how it will work in the long run. The damage decrease not sure about yet, have to see.
    • Iron Vanguard: Frontline Surge: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
      ...really? I REALLY hope this only applies to GWF and not GF too.
    • Iron Vanguard: Threatening Rush: This power now has 3 charges which refresh every 9 seconds.
      See above. This is desperately needed for GWF, but not so much for GF.
    Feats
    • Sentinel's Aegis: This feat now causes Unstoppable to grant 5 times more damage resistance in addition to its other effects.
      See unstoppable comment
    Comments/Feedback are in blue.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am very happy to see the changes to Unstoppable for Great Weapon Fighters - I am a strong advocate for reducing its base effect and moving the real damage reduction to the Sentinel Capstone as you have done

The real change missing to Great Weapon Fighters however is making the Iron Vanguard Paragon Powers scale to the comparable Guardian Fighter's weapon damage. At present, they deal roughly 120% more damage (read 220% of intended) than they should. Due to the huge damage Iron Vanguard Powers deal compared to Swordmaster powers on the Great Weapon Fighter, there is little reason to pick Swordmaster. For example Frontline Surge is always better than Flourish and Indomitable Strength is much faster in execution (and can be animation exploited) as well as dealing more damage than Crescendo.

Lastly, I still feel that the Iron Vanguard Paragon Feats were misplaced on the Great Weapon Fighter's Paragon specializations. There is no reason for Improved Reaction to be available for Destroyers (it should be Sentinel) for example. I would swap that with Battle Trample from Sentinel.
    Vice versa for Swordmaster Paragon Feats on Guardian Fighter
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Great Weapon Fighter
    Determination gain will no longer be subject to variance. This will make Determination gain more normalized."

Sounds good to me

Mark: Mark effects will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.

Awesome!

Roar: This power has been fixed to no longer silence opponents for 2 seconds. Instead it correctly interrupts power usage. If a power is successfully interrupted, that power will be locked out for 2 seconds. This effect will no longer pierce CC immunity. Roar will no longer Root players for 2 seconds.

Much needed!

Takedown: This power now deals ~30% less damage.
    Takedown: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.

I am fine with this AS LONG AS the stun is long enough.

Unstoppable: Unstoppable now grants 5-10% damage resist when activated (down from 25-50%)

This is frankly just stupid. This just killed the class for PVP. Sentinels already delt no damage, Destroyers were ONLY somewhat tanky due to roar stun + Unstoppable recovery heal. I could see a nerf of maybe 20-40% (down from 25-50%) but this is ridiculous guys... With the other changes, I actually think the GWF would be fairly inline with whats intended... This just killed GWFs in PVP.

Sentinel's Aegis Feat: This feat now causes Unstoppable to grant 5 times more damage resistance in addition to its other effects.
    Unstoppable Recovery Feat: The heal from this feat will now properly respect healing depression.

So you removed the added defense which was pretty attractive to make Unstoppable do what it currently does? Nobody even had issues killing Sentinels on Mod 3...

Guys seriously, I have NEVER been one to shy away from talking about my own class and own enchants need a re-balance. But all of these nerfs are WAY over the top.

Already changing takedown+roar+unstoppable recovery + threat rush was already probably more than enough to hurt the class.. Think of it this way.

YOu gave NO survival mechanics to the GWF now. Unstoppable was the only thing that kept them alive because sprint is utterly worthless in dodging attacks. Maybe change sprint over to a teleport/roll/escape mechanic and MAYBE this will work, but with ZERO ways to avoid taking damage and zero ways to even chain attacks off, its going to make the class dead.

Also, I like the Threat Rush change but in order to make this work, there needs to be a "guarantee" it connects. Because right now you rubberband SO badly that its not even reliable - which is why the ONLY way to catch people was a ranged stun/prone (roar or FLS) followed by takedown+Indom Battle Strike (IBS).

Thats the combo that made people mad because you cant avoid roar really. Nerfing roar, nerfing threat rush, nerfing takedown are all fine, but it should stay with that...
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    YOu gave NO survival mechanics to the GWF now. Unstoppable was the only thing that kept them alive because sprint is utterly worthless in dodging attacks. Maybe change sprint over to a teleport/roll/escape mechanic and MAYBE this will work, but with ZERO ways to avoid taking damage and zero ways to even chain attacks off, its going to make the class dead.

Good point. When people have complained about the lack of a dodge mechanic on the GWF, people familiar with the class have pointed out that Unstoppable is the GWF's answer to immunity frames. 5% damage resistance is pathetic when gameplay was previously about using Unstoppable as a means of not dying. (I'm talking PvE.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like that it is choice now for unstoppable. Go sent and be tanky. Destroyers were way to tanky in pvp post changes, compared to the damage they dealt. The changes should be tested but I like the vision of the changes.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    GWF will be more balanced for PvP now and can't just rush in and not care much about damage taken.
    For PvE, the change is quite small, as Lifesteal and massive AoE damage will continue to sustain the GWF easily, even with the reduced Damage Reduction.

Even currently with 2 GWF/2CW/1DC, the DC might not even slot any healing powers and focus purely on debuff. With these changes, healing/mitigation from the DC would be more worthwhile.

There will be fewer players able to run 3GWF/2CW or 3CW/2GWF parties with these changes, which is a good thing.
  • zapatomon1zapatomon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Destroyer's Purpose = 20 stacks to get 40% more dmg

Sentinel Aegis = 40% more damage reduction than Destroyer

The only difference is that the 40% more DR is granted automatically, if we want BALANCE, then Destroyers should get the 40% dmg buff the same way Sentinels get the extra DR.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Ok, I'll give my initial thoughts...
    panderus wrote: »
    Classes and Balance
    [*]Great Weapon Fighter

[*][*]Determination gain will no longer be subject to variance. This will make Determination gain more normalized."
    Can you explain what this means? - Edit: Was explained, if for all intents and purposes is the same? Cool by me!
    [*][*]Mark: Mark effects will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list.
    Cool!
    [*][*]Roar: This power has been fixed to no longer silence opponents for 2 seconds. Instead it correctly interrupts power usage. If a power is successfully interrupted, that power will be locked out for 2 seconds. This effect will no longer pierce CC immunity. Roar will no longer Root players for 2 seconds.
    100% Needed, and I'm in full support of this.
    [*][*]Takedown: This power now deals ~30% less damage.
    I can see where the damage going down wouldn't be a bad thing, 30% is a bit much IMO.
    [*][*]Takedown: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
    Will need to test in PvP to see how this lines up IBS... But I still feel it should be a Prone Effect just based on name alone.
    [*][*]Unstoppable: Unstoppable now grants 5-10% damage resist when activated (down from 25-50%)
    This? 80% reduction is utility? Seems way way way over the top. I'll test in PvE to see how much this will impact my GWFs abilities to survive against adds, not a fan of this change at all.

Terrible, IMO.

[*][*]Sentinel's Aegis Feat: This feat now causes Unstoppable to grant 5 times more damage resistance in addition to its other effects.
    So it basically just keeps it where it was, yes? Seems kinda meh since Sentinel's get Unstoppable less then Destroyers/Instigators, but we'll see. I still think the DR cut of 80% was way to much.
    [*][*]Unstoppable Recovery Feat: The heal from this feat will now properly respect healing depression.
    Makes sense for PvP.

[*]Iron Vanguard

[*][*]Frontline Surge: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs.
    Once again, I guess I can see it for PvP, but it will be really hard to land IBS w/o a Prone IMO. We'll see...
    [*][*]Threatening Rush: This power now has 3 charges which refresh every 9 seconds.
    9 Second recharge, in my opinion, is way too high... Unless that refresh cool down is affected by Recovery... If that's the case and it goes down to 5-7 seconds based on Recovery stat I could see it. Still think it's high and could/should be 6 second cool down before a charge is replenished.

Overall I don't see a major change for PvE outside of the Unstoppable DR change which I think is honestly, terrible.

Unless I'm missing something on how Determination is generated, we'll see I suppose...

Back to the drawing board I go! :rolleyes:
    va8Ru.gif
  • cookiecrisp15cookiecrisp15 Banned Users Posts: 532 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    feedback sentinel:
    sentinel aegis-buff it so let it give +20-30% incoming healing bonus , if we spec sentinel we wont deal any dmg so let us have a bit more survaviblity.
    also since u already killed unstoppable i suggest you to bring us our old Bravery class feature +15% deflect chance
    bring back old Master At Arms feat where it give 3% deflect per stack instead of 2
    and again since unstoppable is dead let the temp hp from it ignore HD + give us old +10-20% temp hp from it.
  • xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    as mainly GWF - my first thought was "This changes really hurts!
    well I Agree and Disagree, with some of changes.

1.Roar: This power has been fixed .. This effect will no longer pierce CC immunity.

overall good to hear that roar is fixed.

2. Takedown: This power now deals ~30% less damage.

it is already difficult to meet/hit someone with Takedown
    because this skill its realy easy to dodge.
    so if we have to luck to hit someone, we dealt now 30% less dmg,that's a bit exaggerated.
    15% less dmg could be reasonable.

3.Unstoppable:
    Unstoppable now grants 5-10% damage resist down from 25-50%

that shocked me,Unstoppable is the main reason why Great weapon fighter is how is it.
    That high reduction is not acceptable! /comprehensible.
    we fighting on the frontline this is why the Resist are very important point/task .

We stay in the middle, and we gettin attack of all people around us.
    how could we survive this now? it's impossible.
    we can not stay in the background and attack we'r not ranged.
    i understand that a reduction is necessary but that high reduction is not comprehensible.
    15% - 35% damage resist could be reasonable.

[thanks for perceive.!]
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
    edited June 2014
    I want to clarify something. Sentinel's Aegis has not been reworked. The increased potency of Unstoppable is *in addition* to everything it did before.
    edited June 2014
    I want to clarify something. Sentinel's Aegis has not been reworked. The increased potency of Unstoppable is *in addition* to everything it did before.
    still it needs to give +20-30% inc healing bonus, senti spec have no dmg so let us have atlast more survaviblity.
  • devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Great changes, please keep the good work.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Basically forces everyone back to Sentinel tree, dealing zero damage, having zero CC ability now. The issue with GWFs on live could have been delt with with a handful of the changes you guys implemented, not ALL of them.

If JUST the unstoppable change happened, that would probably still be a little overkill but id say Roar NEEDS to keep its 2 sec stun.

If you change roar+takedown stun + takedown nerf in damge+unstoppable recovery nerf - well thats probably ALL you needed to change honestly to make GWFs balanced.
  • germmaniacgermmaniac Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    General
    • Determination gain will no longer be subject to variance. This will make Determination gain more normalized. Not sure how this impacts yet
    Powers
    • Mark: Mark will now taunt foes briefly as well as place the player at the top of the threat list. Great. Hoping the GWFs can generate more threat using this while tanking.
    • Roar: This power has been fixed to no longer silence opponents for 2 seconds. Instead it correctly interrupts power usage. If a power is successfully interrupted, that power will be locked out for 2 seconds. This effect will no longer pierce CC immunity. Roar will no longer Root players for 2 seconds. Great. Finally, this will get fixed and I can get back to using it as intended.
    • Unstoppable: Unstoppable now grants 5~10% damage resist when activated (down from 25~50%) . This here seems like the deal breaker. I had suggested on another thread that Unstoppable base damage resistance needs to be reduced and the current DR only made available as feated for Sentinels. But the extent to which this is being nerfed will drop Destroyer's survivability by a considerable bit, almost to the extent that it may no longer be viable. Kindly reconsider this reduction to at least 20-25%.
    • Takedown: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs. Somehow this change in mechanics makes this skill name a misnomer since Takedown had that "prone" feel all over it. I do not mind the change in mechanic, as long as the effect lasts sufficiently long with/without tenacity to be viable.
    • Takedown: This power now deals ~30% less damage. Fair enough. With the CD reduction when feated, this skill has become fairly spammable. So it is better that they do not get as much damage.
    • Iron Vanguard: Frontline Surge: This power now stuns players rather than proning them. No change on NPCs. Query: Wasn't there a knockback effect in addition to the prone? So is it knockback+stun OR just stun?
    • Iron Vanguard: Threatening Rush: This power now has 3 charges which refresh every 9 seconds. Not sure how this works
    Feats
    • Sentinel's Aegis: This feat now causes Unstoppable to grant 5 times more damage resistance in addition to its other effects. Makes total sense here.

Comments in blue above.
    Suggestion: Would be great to get a buff for "Wicked strike" in the Destroyer tree somewhere, to make the class build more AoE viable. Currently this build is getting streamlined into more single target usage. Moreover, any buffs to Wicked Strike is unlikely to affect PvP gameplay.
    edited June 2014
    Without having had opportunity to actually try it yet, I'm a bit concerned with regard to a Swordmaster Destroyer's ability to stay alive while swimming in a sea of red in epic dungeons with the amount of damage resistance being removed from Unstoppable. I'm afraid this is going to push GWFs back into the realm of not wanted on the voyage for PvE content.

Edit: Feedback: Instigator
    Not seeing anything to make this unloved paragon in any way appealing.
    germmaniac wrote: »
    Suggestion: Would be great to get a buff for "Wicked strike" in the Destroyer tree somewhere, to make the class build more AoE viable. Currently this build is getting streamlined into more single target usage. Moreover, any buffs to Wicked Strike is unlikely to affect PvP gameplay.

Not really needed. Sure Strike is an AoE. People tend to overlook that.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Only the last hit is and the range of the AoE isn't that great compared to wicked strike.
    edited June 2014
    regarding takedown dmg nerf ,this skill only deals high dmg while being speced for destro when u nerf it base dmg u kill it for instigator ant senti automaticaly.
    SOLUTION:rework destro feats regarding takedown,but leave it base dmg as it is
    edited June 2014

Yes, you have to line it up. And not really that effective as AoE. And like I said, wicked strike would primarily be used in PvE, so the buffs would not result in any whinefests from PvP.
    edited June 2014
    Only the last hit is and the range of the AoE isn't that great compared to wicked strike.

I'll concede that it would encourage build flexibility. But I'll counter that I'd much rather see Instigator buffed/reworked to the extent of actually being a viable AoE GWF, because that would encourage even more build flexibility,

Neverwinter Census 2017

• lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ...we wanted to take this opportunity to dial them back a little bit by giving them some more severe choices to make when deciding between survivability and damage. On top of that we have also given them some improvements to Mark to increase their tanking utility. Please note that these changes are for Module 4, Tyranny of Dragons.

This is very nice, by giving the players real options, you can be either Destroyer (DPS) or Sentinel (Tank). I'm curious to know what would be the real role of the Instigator now, being a fighter. Would it be support (granting CA, debuffs)? Less damage than a Destroyer but higher defense and higher damage than a sentinel but lower defense, they would be in the middle, maybe based in CC? We have seen plenty of threads of people asking that the Mighty Leap should have a knockdown effect or punishing charge pushing the adds with some knockback effect.

Probably like the physical version of "Oppresor" CW tree?
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
    edited June 2014
    I'll concede that it would encourage build flexibility. But I'll counter that I'd much rather see Instigator buffed/reworked to the extent of actually being a viable AoE GWF, because that would encourage even more build flexibility,

I'd love to see Instigator made viable as well. But same goes for at least one feat tree completely neglected (read-more or less useless) for almost all the classes (Just how many active toons out there with Oppressor or Instigator trees). Would be great to have more viable builds and diversity..provided it does not create disparity and imbalance.
  • cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    How about making the instigator tree viable at all ?
    As it is right now theres no point in playing it all .
    edited June 2014
    germmaniac wrote: »

Honestly, I'd like to see Weapon Master's Strike getting a buff from a paragon feat (Staying Power isn't that great of a feat on the Destroyer tree) to make Swordmaster more viable.