test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NW Outage (3/21/14) [Resolved!]

Comments

• skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hate CR's could take a long long time. Ah I so loved the brutality that game could dish out on you. That is something I miss in all of the new games, there isn't that penalty for being foolish or the real requirement for skill and cooperation.

you are stuck in nostalgia heaven. EQ1 punished you not only for your stupidity but for anyones. If one person did something stupid it would wipe the entire raid. If you had fun doing multi-hour Cr's because 1 guy you had no control over pulled a set of mobs accidentially, then I would suspect your significant other has a closet full of whips, chains and other toture implements they lovingly have named after you.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    I agree so much you could never know. That was a game that took real skill and cooperation. I don't think anyone could imagine raids having and needing 100 people in them today. And all those people had to communicate and cooperate just via the keyboard. No such thing as teamspeak or ventrilo etc.

If you didn't know how to type, you learned fast! Now people just talk about the poor graphics of EQ1, but when you have 60-100 players, at least as many mobs, and spells flying everywhere, you couldn't have uber-level graphics without bringing everyone's PC down to its knees. Now that game had serious fights, and everyone had to work together. Aggro the wrong mob at the wrong time, and suddenly you begin seeing, "CLERICS CAMP!"
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Back then there was also a sense of family and friendship with the people you met in game.
  • sfdhsgjhkmsgsfdhsgjhkmsg Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    crrush83 wrote: »
    Amen. UO was where it's at. Still looking for a game to replicate that feeling that anything could happen at any time.

Meh, i liked Dark Age of Camelot. Felt like a huge sandbox to play in minus the catshiznit.
  • crrush83crrush83 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you played UO after Renaissance then you missed the glory days. Original UO and UO:T2A were amazing.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    you are stuck in nostalgia heaven. EQ1 punished you not only for your stupidity but for anyones. If one person did something stupid it would wipe the entire raid. If you had fun doing multi-hour Cr's because 1 guy you had no control over pulled a set of mobs accidentially, then I would suspect your significant other has a closet full of whips, chains and other toture implements they lovingly have named after you.

I am sure I wasn't so fond of it at the time. It is only in looking back at it, but such does cause me to smile at the memory of it.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Meh, i liked Dark Age of Camelot. Felt like a huge sandbox to play in minus the catshiznit.

DAOC was, and still is my favorite all time game. Too bad they screwed up with the second iteration. Those awsome castle sieges.
  • jelara1jelara1 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    But one thing about today's modern MMOs, they borrow bits and pieces from one another, but one thing they all seem to have common - how very much they are not like EQ1. Even though that game is still around, and i played it as recently as 2 years ago, its like it became the model for everything people didn't want in their game.

Oh, and to keep this Neverwinter oriented - someone commented about using Sword Coast Adventures - that actually went down this morning an hour or two before the other problems started happening.
  • cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »

LOL... That is true but I would rarely actually do pick up raids, those were mainly with my raiding guild or people I knew and trusted for the smaller ones.
    edited March 2014
    My biggest gripe about EQ1 was that you *had* to do multi-hour raids at the higher levels for your gear, and you couldn't do anything in a short period of time. It was very solo-unfriendly and casual-gamer-unfriendly.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Hey guys, we've been pretty lax about the discussion of other MMOs but let's calm down about it.

They are competing games in the end and discussing them, even old ones, in detail is like walking into CVS and handing out fliers for Walgreens. :)
    edited March 2014
    We're talking about ancient MMOs here. Are they really competing titles? LOL. There's a reason we're all here. It's not because we want to play those archaic MMOs still.
  • draconiseabladedraconiseablade Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well right now they're tied for server uptime
  • coldwroughtcoldwrought Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hey guys, we've been pretty lax about the discussion of other MMOs but let's calm down about it.

They are competing games in the end and discussing them, even old ones, in detail is like walking into CVS and handing out fliers for Walgreens. :)

Ok then im a **** here, and think i completely muffed up my guardian fighter's spec. best i reroll (lvl 24) ? or keep going and buy a respec token later?
  • draconiseabladedraconiseablade Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well if you make more than 300 zen in the time you spent leveling id say respec, but I'd tough it out if it isn't completely unplayable

e: at least until 30 or so
  • urgakurgak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    at lvl 24 id reroll if you know for sure what ya want to do next go round, otherwise push forward and respec
    edited March 2014
    To turn it back to Neverwinter, I wonder if it would be possible to allow scaled-up DD raids with multiple groups, where the toughness scales up with the number of players, in exchange for perhaps better drop rates (or something else that might be appropriate)? Basically, some way to reward players for working together on a larger scale without requiring that sort of play from everyone to proceed.
  • dolour79dolour79 Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2014
    not long till 3am, thats like what? 8h now?
    you need to set up a whole new cluster or anything that could possibly explain a downtime THAT long?
    (my isp recently installed new wires, wich led 2h of offline time. now WHAT could possibly break that takes a friggin HALF day to fix, if there was like A-N-Y plan for a hardware failure?)

/edit:
    We're talking about ancient MMOs here. Are they really competing titles? LOL. There's a reason we're all here. It's not because we want to play those archaic MMOs still.
    actually its been a rl friend and the frenchise that draged me here.
    now imagine the dissapointment of someone whos been playing p&p for decades, pretty much every d&d game ever released from back in the days of EOTB until d&d online, when he first saw the skillset, "feats", inability to multiclass(the list is WAY longer than the pros this game actually has to offer)...
    truth be told, if it werent for rl-pals, id have long parted with this bug-infested mainstream grinder that pretends(and maybe even successfully raises the impression this would have anything, aside the lore, in common with dungeons and dragons) to have some sort of depht by wearing a d&d hat.
  • mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ok then im a **** here, and think i completely muffed up my guardian fighter's spec. best i reroll (lvl 24) ? or keep going and buy a respec token later?

At 24, i'd probably just reroll. Make sure you move everything off to the replacement, though. Don't forget your profession assets, AD, etc.!
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Compensated for downtime? It's a FREE to play game, just because you buy Zen doesnt entitle you to ANYTHING!!!

Still, the way they treat their consumers is exactly the reason why they convinced me to never buy any of their stuff like Knights of Feywild.
  • devilsinmedevilsinme Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    crrush83 wrote: »
    Amen. UO was where it's at. Still looking for a game to replicate that feeling that anything could happen at any time.

There is a UO style game being made by Lord British, Its called Shroud of the Avatar, Its kickstarter funded, and It'll be a spiritual successor to UO :)
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Every last one of you will survive. You lived your lives just fine before finding out Neverwinter even existed and you will continue to live your lives just fine while it's down.

Fixes take time and laying new wires is much more of a straightforward affair than troubleshooting networking equipment. Especially if "networking equipment" is actually code for DDoS.
  • gulxgilamarthgulxgilamarth Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Wait... there's a problem with loggin in??
  • nightstalkornightstalkor Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So is there a time frame on when the server is going to come back up? I've gone thru 5 or 6 pages w/o finding any hint. This is why I hate boards like this... Slogging thru all the commentary to find what I really want.

Anyway, the server has been down since about 10 AM PST for me. WHEN is it coming back up?
  • archanarchistarchanarchist Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    keep lvling at 24 u dont even have paragon path go to 60 i recomend tactician till u get the epics to suport concourer then buy a respec token when u know what you want otherwise youll endup buying 2 tokens, you probly will anywyas but youll buy 1 less if you go to 60 first
    also cryptic being cryptic we may get a fancy fassion item for this length of DT its the longest ive ever experienced and ive played CO from launch and sto from launch and NW from launch, but i think the actual issue lays outside the domain of cryptic or PWE and is whoever there isp is's issue
    edited March 2014
    Francis is still mad about the servers being down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTEyfNbcMgg
  • nightdoctornightdoctor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    a 3.4 "earthquake"? is that high in there? in here that's hardly considered a tremor...
    but I guess things are different over there. could that be the cause?

yes that can knock internet from the the mainframe
    which is a national disaster it can set buildings on fire too along by internat i know all of this because it was in a movie about earthquakes and the faults are ruptured because of earth quakes i know not every one playing this game aren't christian but lets say a quick prayer for neverwinter
    :):):)
  • ejames127ejames127 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Will the timer for Invocation also be extended so I don't lose the 6 coins I have on 4 of my toons?
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Darn it, now I have to do a *second* load of laundry.

Cryptic, when will you stop the insanity???
  • nightdoctornightdoctor Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    God will help us through this. hope tomorrow it is up and running
This discussion has been closed.