Install Arc
Options

Upcoming PvP Changes: Matchmaking and Leaver Penalty

Comments

• Options
    lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    This is due to epic teammates that dunno how to win and how to play, imagining when u 1v3 backcapping and your rest 4 teammates chasing a red hp GWF for kills and the other 2 nodes are red, will u quit? Second case, even you are BIS and overgeared, you go mid and other 4 go base, how u feel? The other team sent 5 to mid and you have a hard time defending mid. Well you managed to do this for 3 minutes because you are overgeared but the moment u see your 4 epic teammates go to enemy base after capping base, ignoring you and let u solo tank those 4 or 5 again, will u quit? Stop asking why elites quit, ask yourself whether you will stay or not. AND RMB!! Most of us aren't overgeared, we are at 12k-15k gs, not those legendary/perfect/r10 guys.

All I can say is ^life of a DC
    You forgot to add we can't even kill any of them... at least a tr or gwf kiting that many people could kill someone... we just die... albeit slowly, but still it's sad
  • Options
    yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    my opinions on leaver penalties have evolved over time. initially, i didn't like them at all. it seemed unreasonable or that there was really no way that they could reasonably enforce a penalty and that it was quite unfair to force someone to keep getting facesmashed by a much better geared/skilled character or a premade for that matter. i then changed it to a leaver penalty would be feasible after a good matchmaking system was implemented. and today, i feel that as long as matchmaking works the way it should, i don't mind the leaver penalty as much.

in theory, matchmaking along with tenacity will provide level matches for everybody that wants to pvp. we still have not yet been able to test matchmaking with tenacity on the preview shard yet. and what other balance fixes they intend to roll out with the upcoming pvp changes, some have been posted but i don't know that everything has been announced or put up for testing yet. and no dates have been provided as to when they're looking to roll this stuff out. all we got is conjecture at the moment. but i think they'll work it out. pvp in its current state has endured through open beta to now and the pvp queue still pops frequently. i have faith! ;)

In my opinion all this is doing is making it more so that a person who is geared will only do premades. At least im sure that's how it will be for myself. Reason being is your new elo system. That system is great. However I think there was a bit of an over sight. Chess is a 1v1 game. PvP is 5v5. Meaning that the same problem exist. You could have one geared person and 4 people that are wearing green gear. The geared person gets 28 kills 0 deaths. Everyone else has 0 kills and 30 deaths. Needless to say the match is lost. So the good person takes a loss, gets less ranking, and is doomed to be stuck in that situation useless he gets good pugs or does premades. How is this sensable? Had it been based off of individual proformace than perhaps I would be inclined to believe this to be a good system. But its not. To me you would have done far better just implementing a gs based queing system. All i see is you all dancing around the fact of whats to happen any way. Class balancing. All the time spent to develop a new system sounds great. However the same problems are still there. As you all know (not saying you specifically but some of your team members). I'm not sure how you all came to this conclusion. After some of the "testers" were ran out of PvP. You know whats not balanced. (ironically you all put in a leaving pen. even though they left while "testing" ....). With that being said I personally don't believe that you all are listening to the community. The proof in my statement is that people have not complained about not living long enough but the fact that some classes are not killable. What did you all do? Ensure that nearly unkillable would live longer..... I'm not one to rain down golden sunshine on people's parade but this one cannot be helped because its only the truth.
  • Options
    tyrusarantyrusaran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1-tenacity stat will make pvp pop go down 2- leaver penalty affecting pve will make pvp pop go down 3-whole idea is not thought out well at all.
  • Options
    frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    TY devs for the upcoming pvp patch. I can not wait to pvp with the new system. Disregard the qq'ing by everyone about the upcoming changes, they are simply fantastic!!! Most comments are a knee-jerk reaction to something they do not fully understand. This once again gives pvp'ers something to farm and use all their glory for, segregates the good players from the bad and will over time curb the leaving problem by either camping the fire, or simply giving up on pvp all together.

It is a giant leap forward to finally making pvp in Neverwinter something we will all enjoy and eagerly log on to play. But fear not puggies, I do plan on keeping my ello score as low as possible so I can queue with you all on solo adventures, helping teach you the fundamentals of pvp'ing, while still having epic premade battles.

I and many others can not wait for this patch. It can not come too soon.
  • Options
    vcekvcek Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am so glad this pvp update is coming, i am a solo pvp player, i just run around on my own and kill everyone. Now enemies will not quit when i cut them up like taco wrap sandwiches.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    naaw the geared will just be in premades.... no one geared will be stupid enough to be alone. but good luck :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    frost168 wrote: »
    TY devs for the upcoming pvp patch. I can not wait to pvp with the new system. Disregard the qq'ing by everyone about the upcoming changes, they are simply fantastic!!! Most comments are a knee-jerk reaction to something they do not fully understand. This once again gives pvp'ers something to farm and use all their glory for, segregates the good players from the bad and will over time curb the leaving problem by either camping the fire, or simply giving up on pvp all together.

It is a giant leap forward to finally making pvp in Neverwinter something we will all enjoy and eagerly log on to play. But fear not puggies, I do plan on keeping my ello score as low as possible so I can queue with you all on solo adventures, helping teach you the fundamentals of pvp'ing, while still having epic premade battles.

I and many others can not wait for this patch. It can not come too soon.

It dont. because the good and bad are still rated off what their team does. Guess what that means? If you suck then you not going to get a premade. Trust me as sure as i know mmos. The elite will not loose this battle. You have 1000 points of *** kicking to look foward to unless you want to quit and take the pen. I'm not being a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> just being honest. As a 16.3 pvp geared cw im sure as hell not doing it without a premade. Its pointless. So yea i welcome the changes as well. gives me more time to play other games when my friends are not on :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    demidogz wrote: »
    Looks like some post got sent to the Trash Can again.

Is the company too low on budget, to select these incompetent player mods?

If you want to start a thread for players to discuss, please get mods who don't delete posts on random.

Thanks.

They do that everytime a thread is not favorable to them. and you know that as well as i do. They wish to keep the dreamers dreaming while the real data from actually "testing" is presented.....come on Archeage :-) I'm just spending time till then :-D
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    tyrusaran wrote: »
    1-tenacity stat will make pvp pop go down 2- leaver penalty affecting pve will make pvp pop go down 3-whole idea is not thought out well at all.

This is an ongoing thing. They dont want to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the gwf and tr. the gwf just now is getting to be viable and the tr has always been over powered in pvp. They dont want to mess with it and just should come out and say it. but they know they will loose people so they will do something about it before its all said and done. at the end of they day they will have to class balance or people will go else where. just that simple. hate it or love it. its the truth. those are the two classes the entire community have voiced their opinions about. so if they are "listening" then why was there no of it address? thats my question. please follow up developers/cms/whatever. All i see is that you all (as always) have done what you felt like doing. Not listening to the community. Making out of the way changes. (the community has given you several quick fixes). So what do you have to say for yourself? You dont listen. You do as you please. And on top of that you have the gall to expect us to look forward to it.... wow just wow
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    All I can imagine is there would be more premade, which means solo queue players are most likely get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Since the game could be 30 mins long I would really like to play with someone who can play.

Or ofc I can just afk, alt+tab out.

The idea of leaver penalty seem rather dumb for me. The matchmaking system in game is complete garbage and how they can not expect there to be no quitting? I just hope the new matchmaking ELO thing actually help place players with similar skill together, or I would just 5 Man premade all day.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Separate queues would be a nice bonus, agreed. But consider: With an ELO ladder in place, what are the odds of a high ranking premade running into a low ranked pug when another premade of equal rank is also available? The odds are higher you run into a premade the higher ranking you get. So in theory it should be easier for premade vs premade once the teams have worked their way up the ladder. The only "challenge" will be getting up that ladder. Let's see how this works out before we set a dozen devs working on a complete new system.

Actually from the description I would say the odds are 100% guaranteed every night and all times except prime time USA hours. Here's the relevant bit "The PvP Domination queue attempts to match you with other players that are at a similar skill rating. As a result, queuing times for PvP Domination may be longer than you are used to, especially when the queue population is low. Even at low populations, however, the new queue times should be minimal as long as there are enough players in the queue to play." Note the emphasized bit at the end. If there's 5 elite players and 5 scrubs, it appears that a game will start and the scrubs will get farmed.

Additionally, given my experience with ladders in more than a dozen games, I fully expect there to be griefers trading intentional losses for their griefing characters to other pvp guilds (or their same guild and even same players on alternate accounts via dual boxing) by the end of the first day forcing and keeping maxed out PvP characters in the bottom rungs just so they can farm helpless opponents and laugh at them. I have NEVER found a laddered game where this didn't happen at least to a small degree. Especially since it's often easier and often provides higher rewards than actually competing. May not here, but I've seen it many times.
    loboguild wrote: »
    The issue is not that teams of different ELOs will meet but a premade and a pug with the same ELO can meet. A premade will always have a distinct advantage over a pug even with the same rating and the system doesn't adjust to that (neither within the rating, nor in the glory rewards, which are stagnant). A single player rating in a team environment is flawed by design, the player with the highest rating doesn't have to be the best player.
    Also a good point against the matching system and for separate queues.

Personally, I think these changes will not help bring new players to PvP. The core problem that new players have with PvP is that what works is fundamentally different than PvE. Builds, gear, strategies all are different. Dedicated PvP players, in a premade group, even on new alts with junk gear will devastate experienced PvE players who don't know PvP. Typically this will be accompanied by a slew of rude comments. Those PvE players will try a few times, get the same result, and not come back. Nothing here addresses that.

Break the premades out into a separate queue where they only fight each other. And use a good mixing algorythm so that guildmembers/premades who queue as individuals all at the same time have even odds of being on opposite teams (this was a trick we used in WoW and other games to get around their attempts to forcibly break up premades. Usually one or two people missed out, but you still got 3 or 4 out of 5 people in a faked premade vs 5 scrubs in a real premade.

Secondly, have an intro-level PvP rank or queue where all gear is balanced and everyone is on equal footing. This at least removes one of the complexities and one learning hurdle, it also removes one of the griefer's tools. Which would go a long way toward helping new players get the hang of the build and strategy differences in PvP.
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Quiting an even match is an attitude problem to me which should be burned to the ground. Why do people insist this game is their life's work? it's a GAME.
    and I say:
    Quiting an dungeon is an attitude problem to me which should be burned to the ground.
    I qualified by my gear score of 9204 for CN. So anyone who leaves because I and others are not well equipped or whatever should get a penalty as well for leaving a dungeon instance.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    nwnplayer1nwnplayer1 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2014
    Yup.

What penalty would you consider fair for a player who willingly and knowingly griefs his team again and again till he gets what he wants? To me, a day's ban wouldn't be good enough for people like that.

Separate queues would be a nice bonus, agreed. But consider: With an ELO ladder in place, what are the odds of a high ranking premade running into a low ranked pug when another premade of equal rank is also available? The odds are higher you run into a premade the higher ranking you get. So in theory it should be easier for premade vs premade once the teams have worked their way up the ladder. The only "challenge" will be getting up that ladder. Let's see how this works out before we set a dozen devs working on a complete new system.

Just FYI.:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    [...] willingly decide to ruin the run[...]
    I like your wonderful discussion!

My unworthy 5c:
    If I willingly decide to "ruin your run" I do something to annoy you, e.g. in PvE I will go as a DC with you as far as the door of draco, then I afk outside of the purple entering circle and mock you. This is ruining your run willfully.

I do not feel that I - as you say it - "willingly destroy your run" if I choose that my time is under the observed current circumstances better employed elsewhere. I think the "run" is destroyed by the game mechanics.
    Another question: do I willfully destroy your run by being bad geared? To be a slow player? Where does it stop that my presence or absence is NOT ruining your run?

I did commit to PvP or PvE, but I had no idea what I get as teammates. I don't get asked "do you accept this or that as partner".
    * L1 rented mount
    * white or no underwear (because of the looks - even in PvP)
    * L3 enchants
    * level 43 blues or greens
    * DC's with "I don't know how to cast this blue circle"
    * someone with the name Drizzt or Legolas

My point is, If I leave a match or dungeon I do not want to willingly ruin your run, but the system is designed that my action (leaving) makes your run ruined (you loose). To force me into staying, or giving penalties for leaving, makes my run ruined. Why is your experience more important than mine?
    And we are talking about a fictional you and me, just to make this clear.
    We are not discussing 8 other's that are in this PvP match as well, as there might be 5 players on the opponents team that think "hey, great, easy glory" and are totally happy with my choice to leave @ 10:100, giving them 1000 glory within 5 minutes. There might be a premade that say's "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, again out in 2 minutes". We don't know who else is effected in what manner by my choice to leave. We talk about your experience and mine.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    and I say:
    Quiting an dungeon is an attitude problem to me which should be burned to the ground.
    I qualified by my gear score of 9204 for CN. So anyone who leaves because I and others are not well equipped or whatever should get a penalty as well for leaving a dungeon instance.

If someone leaves a dungeon, you'll get another player often in a few seconds. That doesn't work for PvP so it's an entirely different thing.

Also, since dungeons are broken by design, the lack of certain class (usually CW) may and will often turn a simple 30 minutes run into a 2 hours nightmare people might not be prepared for (time wise). In PvP you win or lose in 10 minutes so it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014

My point is, If I leave a match or dungeon I do not want to willingly ruin your run, but the system is designed that my action (leaving) makes your run ruined (you loose). To force me into staying, or giving penalties for leaving, makes my run ruined. Why is your experience more important than mine?

You forget that one quitter would ruin the run of not just 1 but other 4 guys.

I, myself, do quit totally loop side matches, that 14k+ premade vs my team with 3 or 4 7k gs guys. Those matches are just hopeless. However, a better matchmaking is going to fix this problem, hopefully. When that new system is implemented, there is no more excuse for quitting a match in which all people are with equally gears, and same skill level. Thus, those who quit are deserved to be punished.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    utuwer wrote: »
    You forget that one quitter would ruin the run of not just 1 but other 4 guys.
    This is an assumption.
    I dare say that very often the quitter might make it less fun for 4 others (his team mates) but might as well make it an easy fast glory win for 5 others, which they might want anyway - making it 6 good experiences vs. 4 bad experiences. This is all pure speculation. I know lots of people who would not frown upon easy glory in 5 minutes in comparison to a 25 minutes 952/999 win. And if 2 of the 4 on my team had intended afk after 500 points anyway they will not mind, leaving you and 1 more who are :mad: vs. 6 ;) and 2 who are happy that their afk match is fast over for 300 glory.

Just saw that sig ...

You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.

So you actually like a challenge and brag with it? Great! Whats your problem? Not fond of challenges any more, are we?
  • Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "Personally, I think these changes will not help bring new players to PvP. The core problem that new players have with PvP is that what works is fundamentally different than PvE. Builds, gear, strategies all are different. "

Works fundamentally???Really?In which way??Do you think that capping some nodes require intellectual???Really???
    What my ears hear....Every 60lv player can grasp the fundamentals of PVP in 3-4 games.It is not nuclear science it is a casual action MMO!!

"Dedicated PvP players, in a premade group, even on new alts with junk gear will devastate experienced PvE players who don't know PvP."

Totally wrong."vet" players with out their perfect vorpal and soulforged and artifacts are totally USELESS because they don't have tactics in gameplay except button mashing.I have seen it again and again and again since beta.I am speaking about the majority.There are always exceptions.Show me one "vet" player with green against a "****" with perfect vorpals outgutting him.Really i want to see that.
    Not personal and sorry for my tone.

In general now people that do not want penalties have a very simple simple ,really simple reason.THEY ARE THE USUAL QUITTERS!!lol
    You just saw it on this forum!!!! Check the posts again.All that are against here just now simply declared directrly or indirectly that often quit!!!!F... Amazing!!!!And since they are on these forums are "vet" players.What did i said earlier??
    Vets or better credit card boys are the bane of this game.Quess what?We all put money and time in this game.If you put more doesn't mean that now this is THEIR GAME.Quess what?IT IS NOT!

The good is that quitters are the 10-20% of pvp players.meaning they are a vocal,yet a minority.
    Cryptic:Move forward and ban every ***** quitter and if one does not feel good about it,then ciao baby,allo,au revoir ,cee you,nonchacha amigos.WoW is expecting you with open arms.
    For every quitter that leaves another 2-3 new players will come for a simple reason.GAME WILL BE SIMPLY BETTER AND MORE BALANCED with these changes.

I 'm fed up with overgeared credit boys who creates an illusionary digital life in which they are gods and don't want others to ruin their show.Not personal,just sayin'.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How about this: hard fight, even match up to a score of 230:240, then the GWF on the other team notices that he is still in PvE gear and switches to his BiS-PvP gear, score going to 280/520, no change in sight.
    Why would I stay in this match? I surrender. I don't WANT to spoil anyone's game.
    But there is no surrender button. I don't like being ragdolled around. I have the thinking that the match is over. My team lost.
    But there is still no "I surrender" button there. There is only the "leave party" or the campfire sitting. What should I do?
    Be so kind and point me in the right direction.
  • Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "Personally, I think these changes will not help bring new players to PvP. The core problem that new players have with PvP is that what works is fundamentally different than PvE. Builds, gear, strategies all are different. "

Works fundamentally???Really?In which way??Do you think that capping some nodes require intellectual???Really???
    What my ears hear....Every 60lv player can grasp the fundamentals of PVP in 3-4 games.It is not nuclear science it is a casual action MMO!!

Good luck in laying down an Icy Terrain and hoping enemy players will hop and stay in it just as mobs would do. Or charge a MoC or sudden storm and expect that that enemy HR will just wait for it without moving as any ranged mob. Your entire optimal PvE power set might be completely useless in PvP.
  • Options
    throsbithrosbi Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The problem is the mismatch. take 60s you get a fresh 60 even if they managed to get bis gear and enchants they get thrown in the mix against 60s with two full sets of boons. Now throw in a fresh 60 with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear. Better still throw a low level new player against one that has the epics that level with you and put in rank10 enchants. Now lets add the player skill, unslotted abilities etc.....the list goes on.

O you say this new mysterious matchmaking system will fix all. It didn't work on preview and the devs already said it will be behind the scenes. So lets just add a bunch of pvp stats to pvp gear so you have no choice but to carry two sets of gear and heaven forbid you don't like the changes.

Take what we give you and like it or we will penalize your from playing group content. After all its an MMO and you are ruining it for others.